Home
Posted By: Jcon72 New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
Last week I should have known better than to wander into a gun shop while on my lunch break, but I did, and sure enough; there was this Super Blackhawk Hunter sitting there on consignment. After asking the store to give the seller my offer I was able to get it for a reasonable price in today's dollars. Turns out it's a 1st-year production model (1992). Looks like a great Whitetail rig to me!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
I’ve owned 3 of them. One in 44 mag, and two in 41 mag. All 3 were extremely accurate!

They are hard to find nowadays.
Posted By: Jcon72 Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
Boy, do I ever wish this had been the .41! That's my revolver cartridge of choice.
Posted By: RJM Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
My favorite Ruger 44. Mine too is very accurate. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Troutnut Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
One gun I regret getting rid of. Had a 2x Leupold on mine, it shot way better than it should have.
Posted By: Motown Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
Originally Posted by Troutnut
One gun I regret getting rid of. Had a 2x Leupold on mine, it shot way better than it should have.

I had the same exact setup in a 41 and that gun was crazy accurate. I think all the time about how stupid I was to get rid of that gun!
Posted By: gzig5 Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
I have a .44 Mag version that is a first or second year production I think. With a Burris scope on it, it will put five shots well under 2" at 100yds with 240 or 300 gr XTPs. I just don't carry it in the woods as much as I should. Great trigger too.
I have one in a .44 also. My scope is a 2x Leopuld. It has be used on several antelope plus prairie dogs and jacks. One great shooting handgun. Very nice and very accurate.
I don;t mess with the heavy bullets ever since John Linbaugh told me a 250 gr. cast at 950 fps would shoot thru and elk.
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
They do ok😜

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

good image hosting site
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
Originally Posted by Motown
Originally Posted by Troutnut

I had the same exact setup in a 41 and that gun was crazy accurate. I think all the time about how stupid I was to get rid of that gun!

Same here! 🥲
I also had a Leupold 2X on mine.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/03/24
SCORE!
Posted By: Biebs Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/04/24
They supposedly make them in 22 rimfire as well. I looked for quite some time and never found one.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/04/24
It never ceases to amaze me that so many sell off their good guns here. I guess I'll just never get that.
That is a FINE single action there JCon72
Posted By: tmitch Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/04/24
I had an early made SBH until a coworker talked me out of it. Shortly after I found this Mag-na-port Custom Bisley model and bought it. The Bisley grip fits my hand and points much better for me. Sadly I have not blooded it yet.

Posted By: jackmountain Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/04/24
Originally Posted by TheKid
My favorite Ruger 44. Mine too is very accurate. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Had no no idea they came in a 6”, only seen 8”ers.
Posted By: tmitch Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/05/24
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by TheKid

Had no no idea they came in a 6”, only seen 8”ers.

My thoughts too, but I kinda think it's been customized............all the barrel marking are gone. Good lookin' at that length, wouldn't mind one like that!
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/05/24
He cut it off. They only came in 7 1/2”
Posted By: TheKid Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/05/24
Yes, it was a normal 7.5”. I cut it to 5.5 and removed the markings off the barrel and machined the rib to use the interchangeable blades.

I used it for a couple years before cutting it and noticed no difference in accuracy or on game performance after losing 2”. Still shoots great and packs a little easier.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/08/24
Very nice!

I foolishly passed on a SBH Bisley in 45 Colt. When I finally got my head out of my ass and went back, it was gone.

Enjoy that fine revolver!
Posted By: Babydeer Re: New to me SBH Hunter - 02/19/24
That’s an awesome Set up.
© 24hourcampfire