Home
Posted By: cra1948 J frames calling my name… - 03/02/24
On consignment at the lgs are 3 j frames that have been there a while.

I have not had a small revolver since my brother “borrowed” my SP 101 about 20 years ago. Been thinking lately that, for no good reason, I need a .38 pocket revolver.

The guns in question are a 2” 36, a 2” 60 and a 3” 60.

Thoughts??
Everybody needs a J frame pocket gun. Of those three choices, I'd take the 2 inch 60.
I like 2 inch J frames in an Alabama pocket holster for pocket carry.

The 36 will be nice because of classic bluing, the 60 nice due to stainless and the 3 inch model just because its less common.
Buy them all
3" 60 would be my choice, but I wouldn't be pocket carrying.
Originally Posted by cra1948

I have not had a small revolver since my brother “borrowed” my SP 101 about 20 years ago. Been thinking lately that, for no good reason, I need a .38 pocket revolver.

Thoughts??
I think the Model 36 is the basic Chief's Special, and the 60 is the stainless version of same. Great little guns. I have one of each. They disappear on the belt with an untucked shirt, and yet still pack a solid punch. Every gun enthusiast should own at least one.
Here are a couple of my J-Frames, both square butts. The three incher has an aluminum frame (Model 37). The other one is a Model 36 (steel frame). Both pre-82 and very minty.

[Linked Image]
36-7 and 60-7 the best of the last nolocks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

3” model 60 with adjustable sights.
Cra1948: I would lean toward the 2" Model 60.
The 3" Model 60 next, as long as neither has the dreaded and valuation diminishing "hillary hole"!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Ditto. One of the best "woods carry" companions you could ask for.
[Linked Image]

Get the 3", especially it it's a 60-4!
Posted By: Gibby Re: J frames calling my name… - 03/02/24
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Second only to a 4" Model 63
Everyone should have a few of those nice J frame Smith's.

I feel blessed.

I’ve got one of those with a scandium frame and fiber optic front sight, pre-lock.
Thanks for all the interest.

Trying hard to cut back, so not going to get them all.

Woods walking, yeah, but the scandium 4” model 357 would handle that role, once I develop a mild .41 mag cast bullet load.

Really like 3” j frames, ex wife had a 3” 36 or 37 that was sweet. Also have found 3” guns much more shootable than 2”, but this is to be a pocket gun.

Blue vs stainless…I spend a lot of time around salt/brackish water…

Probably one of the biggest factors: an associate had a 2” model 60 when I was adventuring in SEA many decades ago. Stainless revolvers were a new thing in those days and I envied the hell out of him, although the P38 I carried at the time was considered a pretty hot set up, double action and all (remember, this was decades ago.)

I’m thinking one of the 60’s will get the nod, probably the 2”.

BTW. all are pre-lock.
Posted By: gunzo Re: J frames calling my name… - 03/02/24
I'm a fan. Would love to add a model 60 Pro, but haven't found one that fits my wallet.

Posted By: Slavek Re: J frames calling my name… - 03/02/24

Thoughts??

Those are too heavy for pocket carry. You do not need heavy revolver for .38 Special round, obvious choice is Al- framed Model 637. Old classic cartridges like .38 Special, .44 Special,.... are fine with 2" barrels because unlike in some magnums loss of velocity is not serious concern. With correct loads blast and noise can also be reduced. The 3" barrel seriously reduces holster selection.
Buy "silver finish" as those show cosmetic carry wear well, sort of like white automobile versus black one.
Some of you need to get out more and shoot those guns, you ain't getting any younger and it is no fun to leave mint stuff for others.
My 60 was the first issue when they were .38 Special only. At 22 ounces it was just too chunky for a front pocket CCW piece when a little semi-auto .380 was flatter, held more rounds and weighed the same. Then an early no lock 337 PD appeared and at 12 ounces loaded became my preferred pocket pistol. A couple of snake loads then some +P stuff when I was woods walking down south. Now just the +P Specials. It fits nicely in an ankle holster or pocket without being obvious and sagging the clothing.
If you really want an oddball, try to locate a 5” M60 or 5” M63. 😁
I have no idea why S&W went with 5" barrels on those. Always figured a 4" .38 Special Kit Gun would be ideal - basically the exact same configuration as the original Model 63 but in .38.

The 3" Model 60-4 is pretty close but it just never made sense not to reproduce the Model 63 in a center fire. They did make one in .32 H&R Magnum but they only did that to make people kick themselves for not buying one then, now that they cost two arms and 1.5 legs... wink
Best and cheapest would be an older (pre-1994) model 37 airweight. Same thing as a model 36 or 60 except aluminum frame. I have pocket carried a model 38 airweight for 20 years now. Also, the model 37s are seemingly cheaper than model 60 or 36.
Posted By: Slavek Re: J frames calling my name… - 03/02/24
Those were chambered in .357 where minimum useful barrel length is 4". Buying .357 with short barrel is about as smart as buying smallest pistol and asking for mags with largest extension.
Here's my Model 38 No Dash, wearing modern S&W-brand rubberized boot grips (I have the original grips, too, but this one gets carried and shot so I keep these on it).

[Linked Image]

Mine was among the first made Bodyguard J-Frames, which were aluminum framed from the start. Later they came out with the same model, but with a steel frame (the Model 49 Bodyguard), but the aluminum framed Model 38 Bodyguard came out first (which is a bit of a reversal of the usual order of introduction).
I have two model 60s. Both 3" and adj. sights. I love em and carry one every day. I have killed jacks up to 60 yards with my old one. I often carry it in my vest pocket and have a glove covering the butt. just a bit sticks out. Here is no matter because open carry is also legal. My step daughter has a 2" but I seldom shoot it. My needs are probably far different than most, but it is a favorite.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I have no idea why S&W went with 5" barrels on those. Always figured a 4" .38 Special Kit Gun would be ideal - basically the exact same configuration as the original Model 63 but in .38.

The 3" Model 60-4 is pretty close but it just never made sense not to reproduce the Model 63 in a center fire. They did make one in .32 H&R Magnum but they only did that to make people kick themselves for not buying one then, now that they cost two arms and 1.5 legs... wink

They’re actually pretty well balanced and easy to shoot with the longer sight radius. Just not quite as handy. S&W carried holsters for a while and I snagged one and got another from Simply Rugged holsters.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Oops double post.

They’re actually pretty well balanced and easy to shoot with the longer sight radius. Just not quite as handy. S&W carried holsters for a while and I snagged one and got another from Simply Rugged holsters.
Posted By: gunzo Re: J frames calling my name… - 03/03/24
Originally Posted by Slavek

Thoughts??

Those are too heavy for pocket carry. You do not need heavy revolver for .38 Special round, obvious choice is Al- framed Model 637. Old classic cartridges like .38 Special, .44 Special,.... are fine with 2" barrels because unlike in some magnums loss of velocity is not serious concern. With correct loads blast and noise can also be reduced. The 3" barrel seriously reduces holster selection.
Buy "silver finish" as those show cosmetic carry wear well, sort of like white automobile versus black one.
Some of you need to get out more and shoot those guns, you ain't getting any younger and it is no fun to leave mint stuff for others.

Dude, I've hammered some of your post, but in all fairness I must say this if pretty much spot on. Does that mean I'm agreeing with you? Well, kinda maybe. whistle

Good points IMO. Just from my 342 to my 642 is a 4 or 5 ounce diff. Not much right? No, just nearly a 25% increase. Pocket carry a 342 & switch to the 642. A hell of a diff in feel. With todays light clothing an all steel J frame would have your clothes hanging sideways. Steel J carriers usually caried one in each pocket to get balance.

Guess if the all steels J's weren't selling they'd discontinue. But wonder why they are selling considering the alternatives.
Yeah, the steel J-Frames are belt guns, not pocket guns. Heck, I don't even consider the aluminum framed J-Frames to be great all day front pants pocket guns. For that, when I do pocket carry, I use a Sig P238 in an Alabama pocket holster.
We are so blessed, to have so many wonderful options.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by Slavek

Thoughts??

Dude, I've hammered some of your post, but in all fairness I must say this if pretty much spot on. Does that mean I'm agreeing with you? Well, kinda maybe. whistle

Good points IMO. Just from my 342 to my 642 is a 4 or 5 ounce diff. Not much right? No, just nearly a 25% increase. Pocket carry a 342 & switch to the 642. A hell of a diff in feel. With todays light clothing an all steel J frame would have your clothes hanging sideways. Steel J carriers usually caried one in each pocket to get balance.

Guess if the all steels J's weren't selling they'd discontinue. But wonder why they are selling considering the alternatives.

That's what Clint suggests. 🤩

I glossed over this thread the other day and noted something about a Model 60 3” and it didn’t trip my trigger too much. Lo and behold yesterday I perused a gun show in another county an hour away from home. The very last vendor at the small show had a Model 60-4 .38 with adjustable sights. It looked to be in decent shape…..$425 was the price.

Due to the logistics involved with my county pistol permit department and much dicking around, I passed then regretted it half way home. Lol
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

I glossed over this thread the other day and noted something about a Model 60 3” and it didn’t trip my trigger too much. Lo and behold yesterday I perused a gun show in another county an hour away from home. The very last vendor at the small show had a Model 60-4 .38 with adjustable sights. It looked to be in decent shape…..$425 was the price.

Due to the logistics involved with my county pistol permit department and much dicking around, I passed then regretted it half way home. Lol
I sold a used 60-4 about 5 years ago on another site for $1,200!

Love mine. Carry it bowhunting and hiking. Fun to shoot and amazingly accurate for a short little shooter. Pachmyar grip takes the sting out of heavier loads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JPro Re: J frames calling my name… - 04/16/24
That 3" full-lug version is the only J-frame I own these days. Mine wears rubber "Compac" Pachmayr grips. Easy/simple for the wife/kids to shoot and accurate. Great little guns.
I have a bit more than 500 rounds through the Lipsey's 432 Ultimate Carry J Frame in .32 H&R.

Definitely a keeper.
Posted By: EdM Re: J frames calling my name… - 04/18/24
Originally Posted by centershot

Love mine. Carry it bowhunting and hiking. Fun to shoot and amazingly accurate for a short little shooter. Pachmyar grip takes the sting out of heavier loads.

I recently picked up one of those but have yet to shoot it. My favorite is likely this one though.

Cra1948: Dang it - my New Years Resolution got violated by a "J" frame yesterday! Back on New Years day I "vowed" to try and quit buying guns and start selling them!
My local gunshop just got a Smith & Wesson Model 642-1 in on consignment. It was as new in the box with a nifty Kydex holster to boot. The action lock-up and detonation timing was tight as a tick - no slop what so ever!
I didn't even dicker on the price ($350.00 and no sales tax in Montana) and out the door I went.
Over the decades I have not done much, at all, shooting the full shrouded hammer revolvers - but it will come out of the holster smoothly I am sure - if the need be, in some self defense situation.
Long live the S&W "J" frame revolvers - useful, reliable, fun, good looking and easy to conceal.
I have to look up the manufacture date on this 642-1 - as the fit and function are commendable.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: cv540 Re: J frames calling my name… - 04/18/24
Depends on use. If you plan to carry a bunch the 2 inch 60 is great in stainless.

But hard to beat the 36 with the bluing, a classic S&W if anything is. I would try to research the serial number of the 36, and see when it was made, if made in the 50 or 60s grab it.

I have a couple J frames that get carried more often than anything else.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: J frames calling my name… - 04/18/24
The only wheel gun I currently have is a S&W M60 3" 357 Mag. My dad gave it to me. It's a cool little blaster. I usually only carry it when I'm in the woods hunting, riding or cutting firewood.

NYH1.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have a bit more than 500 rounds through the Lipsey's 432 Ultimate Carry J Frame in .32 H&R.

Definitely a keeper.
[quote=Mackay_Sagebrush]I have a bit more than 500 rounds through the Lipsey's 432 Ultimate Carry J Frame in .32 H&R.

Just picked up the exact model last evening. Can’t wait to shoot it Monday!
Mackay are those your wadcutters in the pics? BTW, thanks for your contribution to the cause on getting this model off and running. I’ll be ordering some of your wadcutters to get me started while I await my reloading dies!

Thoughts??

For pocket carry in .38 caliber I love my S&W 340PD .357mag loaded with 38spl.+P, 12oz loaded is very comfortable.
Originally Posted by Rugernut
Mackay are those your wadcutters in the pics? BTW, thanks for your contribution to the cause on getting this model off and running. I’ll be ordering some of your wadcutters to get me started while I await my reloading dies!

Yes,

I use nothing but the 100 grain poly-coat wadcutters during the course of shooting the last 500 + rounds through this UC J Frame.

One really notable thing is just how clean this gun is. If this had been standard soft lead, or even hardcast, the odds of getting to 500 rounds without cleaning are very slim. Revolvers are reliable, but simply not that durable when it comes to maintenance and high volume shooting. Most the time one would have broken out a brush long ago and had been scrubbing the gun to make sure it would function properly, but in the case of the poly coated ammo, it simply has not been needed.

I doubt I will get to 1000 rounds, especially since I carry since I carry this gun for defense purposes in my pocket, but as it stands, the gun runs perfectly even though it has had all those rounds through it.

Posted By: cotis Re: J frames calling my name… - 04/22/24
Originally Posted by EdM
I recently picked up one of those but have yet to shoot it. My favorite is likely this one though.

I really need you to quit posting this photo. It is going to cost me a lot of money eventually….
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
3" 60 would be my choice, but I wouldn't be pocket carrying.
Years ago I had a 3" Model 60... I found it a bit much weight wise for pocket carry.

YMMV,

Jerry
© 24hourcampfire