Home
So, what is it worth? Appears new in the box, wrapped in the anti -corrosion paper. Box is in very good shape with correct end label. Curious. Always heard these were the most accurate .45s that S&W made.

How common are these.
Gun from 1989 should be 625-2. Gun from ca.1998 should be 625-7. Which is it?
25-7 Model of 1989 on the barrel. You are very mistaken. Matte finish.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Is it a 5” barrel with unfluted cylinder?
Originally Posted by Slavek
Gun from 1989 should be 625-2. Gun from ca.1998 should be 625-7. Which is it?
He didn’t say 625 he said 25 you fake Fugk.
Take your borat sock puppet BS somewhere else. Nobody buys your schtick.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Yup. You know the one.
So, what is it worth? Appears new in the box, wrapped in the anti -corrosion paper. Box is in very good shape with correct end label. Curious. Always heard these were the most accurate .45s that S&W made.

How common are these.

If it is available to you, buy it immediately.

RS

Yup. You know the one.
Limited run of 1987 pcs is what I read in a quick google search. I’d be on that that quick.
I've mentioned before that I have a 625-2. I shoot that gun better than any other revolver I own.

Here it is with a 625-6 .45 Colt Mountain Gun

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And a 25-2. Another great shooting gun. Guy I bought it from shot bowling pin tournaments with it.

So, what is it worth? Appears new in the box, wrapped in the anti -corrosion paper. Box is in very good shape with correct end label

Buyers price $1356.00
Mine is a 25-9. It has elk horn handles.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My 25-5 started life as a blued .45 Colt revolver. Some 30 years ago I had it hard chromed, and my gunsmith made a .45 ACP conversion cylinder for me. I used that for years shooting bowling pin matches. The .45 Colt cylinder has been used hunting hogs often. The Tritium sight are helpful on night hunts. It is probably the most accurate S&W revolver I own.

Yup. You know the one.
Limited run of 1987 pcs is what I read in a quick google search. I’d be on that that quick.

As I recall back when I was doing my own research, there were only 2,000 of these revolvers made. At most, there are only 1,998 left available on the market. I know of one that was destroyed by an overzealous twit that converted it to a Snub nose, and I have one that will never leave the family. Actually, it will go to my son someday as 1989 is his birth year.

Carried it when hunting the mountains for many years in a Diamond D leather Guides Choice holster, until I acquired a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Col to carry instead.
Originally Posted by frogman43

Yup. You know the one.

As I recall back when I was doing my own research, there were only 2,000 of these revolvers made. At most, there are only 1,998 left available on the market. I know of one that was destroyed by an overzealous twit that converted it to a Snub nose, and I have one that will never leave the family. Actually, it will go to my son someday as 1989 is his birth year.

Carried it when hunting the mountains for many years in a Diamond D leather Guides Choice holster, until I acquired a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Col to carry instead.

Number made is actuality irrelevant, what really counts is how many come through door or click keyboard looking for one and when they see one say wow it is 25-7, I want it.

Yup. You know the one.

I am putting a $2000.00 value on it considering it's probably unfired and in the box. I was wondering if y'all had any other insight on that specific gun. I do know they are not common and I have never seen one for sale in the box in this condition. My son will end up with it. I have no plans to shoot it.
What’s the scoop, 25-7 vs 25-9?

Both say 1989 on the barrel.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Longer stop notch in the cylinder. The Model of 1989 on the barrel does not help. With dull blackened finish, smooth cylinder and .45 Colt caliber "The Horse Thief" would be much more appropriate and desirable.
From the right buyer this 25-7 might bring $1500 to $1600.
What the price difference, if there is one, 25-7 vs. 25-9?

DF
Mine's a later model. I always wanted a 25:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
25-5 set up with Crimson Trace grips to kill hogs. It's yet to kill one.

I always seem to have something else in hand, but don't doubt it would do the trick.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
here is a hog shot. smile
He looks pretty dead. Good hog.

You done good.

DF
255 grain Hornady XTP at 1000 fps works well. The shot was right at 40 yards.

DF

Mine is a 25-7, unfluted cylinder, .45 Cal. Model of 1989 on the right side of the barrel. Matte finish.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
255 grain Hornady XTP at 1000 fps works well. The shot was right at 40 yards.
Good shot, pretty long for a handgun.

Good bullet, good hog....

DF
Mine is a 25-7, unfluted cylinder, .45 Cal. Model of 1989 on the right side of the barrel. Matte finish.

This is what the OP is describing.
Buy that S&W if you can afford it.
You’ll never regret it!
Dirtfarmer, it helped when he did not move after I missed the first shot.
Whoops.

You didn’t have to admit that!

Ha!

Well he’s still a good hog.

DF
Originally Posted by WFR

You’ll never regret it!

I concur, by that firearm now!

frog----OUT!
Originally Posted by WFR

You’ll never regret it!

frog----OUT!
Yeah, he may not get another chance as those are scarce.

I was fortunate to trade for mine back in the day when they weren’t so expensive.

Now, they say it’s worth $1,500 or so. Who said guns aren’t a good investment. I remind my wife from time to time.

DF
I didn’t make this clear. I have one, possibly unfired in the box. Was looking for a value. I am calling it 2000.00. Maybe high but where are they, in the box in this condition?
Originally Posted by WFR

You’ll never regret it!

frog----OUT!
Yeah, he may not get another chance as those are scarce.

I was fortunate to trade for mine back in the day when they weren’t so expensive.

Now, they say it’s worth $1,500 or so. Who said guns aren’t a good investment. I remind my wife from time to time.

DF

For $1500 one can get nicely polished and blued 4" Model 25 or 3" Model 625. What we have here is dull ugly revolver that frankly does not "scream buy me". It would be very desirable gun in .44 Magnum with "Wilderness Hunter" or "Pack Hunter" on the barrel. This was before Ruger started Alaskan theme, therefore, S&W folks could beat them to the punch. Missed opportunity by S&W team. I do not understand stupid of 1988 or 1989 on the barrel 🤷‍♂️ was there member of Polands Solidary Movement on the mgt. team? WTF?
Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Rarity affects the value.

Not gonna sell mine, anyway.

DF
Not selling mine either! Bought it from a Detroit police officer who told me it was his first duty gun back when he started.

Frog----out!

Got to love an honest post cool

I have a .45 Colt Mountain gun with a red dot on it. It has always been an accurate gun but when I found a load with AA #9 and 255 and 280 grain cast slugs it became a "you would not believe me if I told you" level of accurate. I have yet to take any game with it but the metal targets in the back yard live in fear of it....
Not selling mine either! Bought it from a Detroit police officer who told me it was his first duty gun back when he started.

Frog----out!

I am certain no police force issued .45 Colt in your lifetime. Last service weapon was Colt 1909, so police might have used some in roaring 20s, so called. I can understand what he said, as they say "faith sells mounds of inventory". Hey, did you know that some South American 1911-type pistols (actually ony barrels and magazines are interchangeable so they only look like 1911) were made from steel obtained from wreck of Admiral Graf Spee?🤭🤣

Frog----out!

I am certain no police force issued .45 Colt in your lifetime. Last service weapon was Colt 1909, so police might have used some in roaring 20s, so called. I can understand what he said, as they say "faith sells mounds of inventory". Hey, did you know that some South American 1911-type pistols (actually ony barrels and magazines are interchangeable so they only look like 1911) were made from steel obtained from wreck of Admiral Graf Spee?🤭🤣

As usual you are wrong.

Being that you are not allowed to own guns and all your "knowledge" comes from google and Wikipedia, versus actual hands on experience, I would have thought you would have known better.

There have been a good number of agencies that have issued .45 Colt revolvers. In fact a good number of those agencies are right in your own back yard. Perhaps you should ask your probation officer.

Long Beach PD is one, National City, CA is another, Ontario, CA is yet another.

Back to ignoring mentally ill Maser.

Anyways, continuing on with the subject...

Frog----out!

I’m pretty sure that Detroit P. D. Could carry any quality handgun that they could qualify with back in the 70’s and 80’s. At least that’s what Evan Marshall said.

Ron
Georgia State Patrol also issued .45 Colt revolvers.

Aside from being issued, there were a great many agencies that authorized the guns for carry. The officer would purchase the gun as a privately owned weapon and then carry it as his service weapon.

I know that at my first agency I could have carried one, had I wanted to, but I chose to carry a Colt series 70 1911 .45 and later a Glock 21 .45.

Detroit was an agency that authorized the M25. There were lots of agencies that authorized the M25 as personally owned, though not issued. Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston were all larger agencies where the M25 was authorized.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Georgia State Patrol also issued .45 Colt revolvers.

Aside from being issued, there were a great many agencies that authorized the guns for carry. The officer would purchase the gun as a privately owned weapon and then carry it as his service weapon.

I know that at my first agency I could have carried one, had I wanted to, but I chose to carry a Colt series 70 1911 .45 and later a Glock 21 .45.

Detroit was an agency that authorized the M25. There were lots of agencies that authorized the M25 as personally owned, though not issued. Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston were all larger agencies where the M25 was authorized.

Thanks for the back-up, Mack. As I stated, the officer mentioned that it was his first duty sidearm and as this was a private sale, in the basement of his home in Detroit, I presumed that it was authorized to carry for duty and he bought it himself. I have no reason whatsoever to doubt his word, and I was just thankful he had decided to sell it!

Frog---OUT!
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Frog----out!

As usual you are wrong.

Being that you are not allowed to own guns and all your "knowledge" comes from google and Wikipedia, versus actual hands on experience, I would have thought you would have known better.

There have been a good number of agencies that have issued .45 Colt revolvers. In fact a good number of those agencies are right in your own back yard. Perhaps you should ask your probation officer.

Long Beach PD is one, National City, CA is another, Ontario, CA is yet another.

Back to ignoring mentally ill Maser.

Anyways, continuing on with the subject...

They did use .45 Colt SAA revolvers in the Old West. The revolvers used up to late 80s or 90s of last century were .38/.357 (Highway Patrolman, Trooper, Service Six....). There was famed backup
44 Special around which rose a company called Charter Arms.
© 24hourcampfire