Home
I am thinking about getting one, and a barrel in 30-06, or .308 with a second barrel in .223 or .22-250. Seems that the 15" pistol barrel should be about as accurate as a 16"carbine, except the the buttstock would not be availible. Anyhow any of you guys have an opinion?
Love the Encore pistol barrels, I have a few of them myself.

308 Win 15 inch barrel, 475 Linebaugh 12 inch barrel, 375 H&H 16 inch barrel, 375 JDJ 15 inch barrel, 410 GNR 10 inch barrrel, 510 GNR 10 inch barrel, and getting a 15 inch S&W 460 Mag barrel.

I like the the idea and challenge of hunting with a handgun AND a single shot. (Although I have yet to pursue it.)

The Encore which has the capacity to handle high pressure rounds is an appreciable improvement over the old Contender which shot only low pressure rounds- 30-30, 35 Rem, etc. as well as revolver rounds- 45 Colt, 44 Mag, 357 Mag, etc ... which limited the effective range of your shots.

The Encore can also be cocked, uncocked, and recocked without having to break open the action as is necessary with the Contender. I think the TC pistols have a well deserved reputation for their dependability and accuracy. I had a Contender many years ago.

The high-powered-round Encore is a large and somewhat bulky handgun- but will make a shot well over 200 yards still within effective range.

I'd go with the 30-06 caliber also ... just because I love the "old" round.
I have one and love it, 260 Rem and 44 Mag barrels for it. The 260 is rifle accurate at 100 yds, and I would not hesitate shooting a deer with it at 200, which is the farthest I have shot it on paper. Knocked a doe down a few years ago at about 125 yards, worked like a champ.
I do most of my hunting with an Encore handgun, primarily
with my 338 Win Mag. barrel. I also have a 223, 7-08, and
a 375 H&H barrel, all in 15" lengths. I think the barrels
you list are a good start. The Encore is a great rig, and
most of my shots are between 75 and 150 yards. I at least
have to have a rest and a stationary animal. I've taken
a few antelope, many deer, a moose, and some African plains
game so far. Hunting with the Encore really adds a nice
dimesion to being out. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Dave
I have had several and taken animals with them. Nice compact package. Good quality and functionality not to mention adaptability.
I like the Encore Pistol, mine is chambered in 7mm-08. I use the Speer Moly 110 gr TNT for deer hunting. I load Varget and at the pistol vel it opens just like a big game bullet in a rifle. Deer are DOA . I killed this does at 178 yards on my laser range finder.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire