Home
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
I went out the day after Christmas with my dad and we did a quick morning hunt. We had intended to go after coyotes but the first place we saw coyotes we also came across a pretty heavy concentration of Jacks, so we ended up staying there for a couple of hours and thinning the herd.

The weather was pretty cold and windy. I would guesstimate the windchill factor in the high -teens to low -20s. In fact my S&W 29-2 .44 froze up and the cylinder would not rotate after I took a dive in the deep snow. I had to stick it on the dash with the defroster on to get it to unthaw.

I ended up using my .308 Tikka after that for a few of them. I only had a limited amount of .308 ammo so we only took 50 or so rabbits. I snapped a few pics of a few bunny piles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Two days later I went out with a friend and his wife for another quick morning hunt. It was quite a bit warmer and not nearly as many bunnies out. We managed to pick up a few dozen though for the morning.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmyd223 Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
Mackay, looks like a fun day other than the weather, maybe a bit of overkill with the 308 though.
yep you are right.

I had the .308 along due to the heavy winds. Normally I hunt dogs with a .223 or 6mm but I figured I would carry the .308 on that day.

The funny part was I had my meticulously handcrafted long range super duper tack driving loads for it, so I could shoot dogs at XX hundred yards with complete precision.

What I ended up doing was shooting rabbits at 25 to 50 yards with them instead. Go figure.
OH yeah, then there were a few cylinder fulls of the 310 grain cast bullet .44 magnum loads that are my elk/wooly mammoth loads. I ended up going through them as well since I had run out of my everyday plinker carry loads.
Posted By: jimmyd223 Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
Never know on those bunny safari's could have been a charge and those heavy loads might have just saved your azz!!!!!

Great pictures by the way.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
We don't have ANY jackrabbits around here. The country used to be overrun with them but they are so damaging to crops that people like my Grandpa killed them all out. Back in the 30's, ammo was so expensive and scarce that Grandpa would kill them with his pliers. My Dad has told me he saw Grandpa slip the pliers out of the breast pocket of his overalls and throw them at a big Jack several rows over in the field when they were working, and kill it. He would then order my Dad to run to the house and get a bowl of saltwater from Grandma. Grandpa would then skin the jack and cut it up for lunch.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJABPOS Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
Man, that looks like fun!!!
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
Originally Posted by JJABPOS
Looks like loads of fun.
Posted By: Mainframe Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
Would I be out of line asking what state you were hunting in?
Idaho
Originally Posted by JJABPOS

Beats getting fat, sitting on a couch!

Welcome to the Campfire JJ.

Let me guess, you are AB positive? smile
Posted By: Mainframe Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
Another welcome, JJ. The Campfire is a good place to be.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Bunny Safari - 01/01/09
Originally Posted by Mainframe
Another welcome, JJ. The Campfire is a good place to be.
Ditto that.
Posted By: macrabbit Re: Bunny Safari - 01/02/09
I hate you! I hate you! IHATEYOU!

I spent a few parts of my 2008 dancing the 'sage sashay', and kicked up barely a hatful of jacks!
Are you doused in some special HareMagic shampoo or something?
Or maybe using a version of test1328's "Buddy Hunting" to scout out and then drive the bunnies into your neighborhood with helicopters?

(BTW, congrats on some good days afield.)
smile
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Bunny Safari - 01/02/09
Mack, what holster is that you are sporting your Smith around in???

Keith
Posted By: passport Re: Bunny Safari - 01/02/09
Man that must have been a blast! What in the world do you do with all those raggits?
© 24hourcampfire