Home
Posted By: RugerM77270 Which 22lr pistol? - 04/14/09
OK I want a new 22 pistol to plick with but also to shot squirrels with while I am deer hunting (they get on my nerves & i usually shoot my meat early and spend the rest of the season out there getting away from it all).
I have been looking at the Taurus tracker and the Model 94 for revolvers because I really want a revolver.
I am not against semis though I have looked at the Neos, S&W22A, Ruger Mark III.
I want to stay under $350 what do you guys suggest?
Accuracy is a biggie to me.
Posted By: ADK4Rick Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/14/09
Browning Buckmark

it can cut nails with the right ammo and practice
Posted By: T LEE Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/14/09
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
Browning Buckmark

I will second that one. The S&W 22AS is also a good shooter.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/14/09
I like the Ruger autos. The 5 1/2" Bull barrel target (mod 512) is my favorite.
Posted By: pak Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
I just bought a Ruger single six 4 5/8bbl, about 10 years old, like new for &350.00. I intend to subsonics for rodents and small game.pak
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
Accept no substitutes,...K-22 revolver.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NimrodRx Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
My experience is limited. Having only the Ruger single six, S&W, and the MKIII.

The single six is surprisingly accurate. And a joy to shoot. Its beauty lies in the fact that it is at least 35 years old, probably hasn't had a good cleaning in 10 years and still shoots every time the hammer is cocked and the trigger is squeezed. And shoots accurately I might add.

I know guys LOVE the MKIII's, but I find the Smith (mine is the target with the laminate grips) to have a much better trigger and to be more accurate. That's not just in my hand either. Everyone that shoots the 22a shoots it better than the MKIII. Both digest anything you put in the magazine without a hiccup.

I won't own a mosquito unless they get things ironed out.

Have never shot a buckmark, but would like to.

In a .22 I wouldn't have a problem with a Tuarus. However, one doesn't have to look hard to find QC issue reports with the Taurus line, even in revolvers.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
Used M-17 Smith and Wesson for accuracy alone. For packing, a used M-63. If you prefer Single-Action, a Ruger Super Single Six also will give you the versatility of a magnum cylinder. It is available in either blued or stainless. If you decide to go with a semi-auto, I'd get a Ruger Mk. I, II or III.
Posted By: coop4u2c Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
Taurus 941 has served me well for a couple of years and thousands of rounds!
Posted By: CoonCreek Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
What Bristoe said....K-22's are hard to beat. I spent years shooting a Ruger Mark II and was hesitant to change over to the Model 18 Smith but after I did I was very happy I made the jump. Very accurate, solid and a perfect match for my Model 19 .357.

Jeff M.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
Buckmarks, fantastic
Ruger Mark II's Great guns.
Smith mod 17/k22's, Really fantastic, but gonna be out of your range price wise.
The newer Taurus guns are getting good reviews, so probably will fit the bill nicely also.

Posted By: GunGeek Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
All of those are good choices so just go with the one that you like and fits your hands. I tend to lean toward the Ruger and the K-22 though.
Posted By: Ken14 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
Ruger MKII....just be sure to use OE Ruger mags...all the others suck..
Posted By: TomC321 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
For serious revolver accuracy, the S&W 17 and 617 are tough to beat.

In .22 autos, I like the Ruger MK II & IIIs. I like my MK III Hunter best.

There are certainly other choices. I just have no experience with them.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
For your price range the Taurus would be hard to beat.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
In your price range for new, I would consider the Taurus 94 or the Browning Buckmark, or possibly the Ruger MK.

If you go with the Taurus, make sure you check the cylinder gap closely before buying. They tend to make them pretty tight, and some have been found to drag on fouling after a couple cylinders or so. DA trigger pull isn't great, but SA is quite good. And accuracy, on mine at least, is right up there with the Buckmarks and Ruger MK.

Even the cheapest Buckmarks come with better triggers than the Ruger MK pistols and need no modification. But if you like to tinker, you can bring the Rugers right up to snuff. It just adds some $ to the cost.

Accuracy amongst the three is comparable and I've used all three to kill many ground squirrels.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
I know you said new, but a used Sig Trailside is a lot more gun than a buckmark or ruger IMO.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/15/09
A S&W Mod 17 would be nice, but General Stewart hauled them all away.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/16/09
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
Browning Buckmark

I concur on the Browning Buckmark, I own one. Here's Mine:

[Linked Image]

But he said he wanted a revolver in 22 LR. my brother had one but I can't remember who made it, but it had two cylinders one in 22 LR and the other in 22 Mag. I kind of liked it so if was to look for a revolver I think I would like one of them as it would be nice to have the two interchangeable cylinders as you would have the best of two worlds.
Posted By: generalstuart Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/16/09
Originally Posted by croldfort
A S&W Mod 17 would be nice, but General Stewart hauled them all away.

Hello Croldfort
I haven't Bought all of them, There are Many Hundred of Thousands left out there to be discovered, But at the Price the Poster want's to spend he would be Hard Pressed to Land one with the Prices of today...Thegeneral.
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/16/09
Thanks for all the help guys. I am looking around at the local shops to see what is in stock. The price range does limit me but its what the wife agreed to spend on me for a birthday present. I like the look of the Buckmark and Ruger Mark III, but have been wanting a revolver for a while I have a few semi 9mms already. It really just depends on what deal comes up first.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/16/09
Another vote for the Browning Buckmark!
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/17/09
Well I went shopping this morning and found a Ruger III for $260 that had a target barrel, I think I am going to get.
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/17/09
I also found a Walther SP22 for $250. What are the thoughts on this?
Posted By: RJM Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/17/09
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
I also found a Walther SP22 for $250. What are the thoughts on this?

A friend has one that I just was shooting Wednesday. He loves the gun but it is very ammo picky. My friend called the factory and was told the guns are tested only with CCI MiniMags and most lesserpoered ammo will not cycle the slide. None of the target grade non-copper washed ammo will work and even the Federal Bulk won't cut it.

I had a box of the Remington bulk ammo from Walmart that we have found much hotter than the Federal and it ran 4 magazines full without a hitch.

As to which .22...hard to go wrong with a Ruger.

Bob
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Which 22lr pistol? - 04/18/09
Well my wife is officially the greatest wife of all time. We ate lunch today and she looked at me and said are you ready to go get you new gun. Duh, Yeah. So I got the Ruger Mark III but I can't even handle it for another three weeks till my birthday. The anticipation is killing me.
© 24hourcampfire