Home
I have a kimber pro TLE/RLII that I bought used some time ago. I had lots of extraction problems and I sent it to factory to get new slide assembly (original was the "improved" external design). Anyway now the gun occasionally but very rarely fails to cycle back to battery at the range tho I obviously don't want to wait for it to happen in social setting. Don't want the scenerio at all, but you know!
I don't think I'm limp wristing, but I'm not positive. Only modifications to pistol are solid trigger (done at factory), and arched backstrap done by local smith.
Any suggestions?
I've personally seen Kimbers with chambers that out of spec.

Check the chamber with the barrel out of the pistol. Loaded rounds should fully chamber by dropping them in (and should fall free) with no resistance.

I don't buy the limp wristing argument given regularly by Kimber "customer service", a 1911 should function perfectly with ball ammo one-handed as long as the extractor is tensioned properly and the pistol has a standard weight recoil spring. Recoil buffers are sometimes the culprit.
That is about it, unless the rails are too tight which I doubt in a used pistol.
Just got back in from day at the mall and Costco (GRR). Thanks for the info guys. Would a stronger recoil spring work? It just barely misses locking up by less than a millimeter. Thought the extra force would push it the rest of the way in.
Could be one or more of several things..........hard to pinpoint absent laying hands of the gun.

Did I understand that you have a "new" slide with internal extractor?

If so, I've found some Kimbers with too much tension on the extractor causing the very problem you describe.

I set the extractor so that (with slide off the gun) a 230 grain loaded round pushed under the extractor claw, will be held in place but will droop down, front to back.

The issue can also be caused by the magazine not correctly releasing & aligning the cartridge so that the extra resistance from a misalgined/released round is just a bit more than the slide moving forward can overcome.

It's possible that a heavier recoil spring can help if this is the issue, but I'd check the extractor 1st & try some different magazines.........I like Wilson & Tripp Cobramags.

Kimber says their springs are 16 lb., but to me they feel heavier than, that, FWIW.

MM

All the mags I use are Wilson. I will have someone local check the extractor this week.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE SUGGESTOINS AND ADVICE!
I missed that it's a Pro series (4") pistol.

Wolf makes a spring (the XP) specifically for the 4" Kimber that is supposed to address the r-t-b issues.
MontanaMan asked if you now have an internal or external extractor since getting it back from Kimber?.........we both still aren't sure of your answer.

We both ask because Kimbers are/were notorious for extraction problems with external extractors (OK....for those with external extractor Kimbers which haven't had any issues.....I'm happy for you, but Kimber didn't revert back to the internal extractor for NO reason).

Internal or external......? If newly converted to internal by Kimber, you might see it smooth out with a few more rounds out the tube.
Question: How can you tell if Kimber 1911 has an internal extractor vs an external extractor? I was looking at their Pro CDP II which looks like a sweet little gun and would be interested to know if it has an internal extractor. Thanks1
It now has an internal ext. Sorry, thot I had said that, but it wasn't clear. Agree with magnumb on the failures with the external extractors. Will look into th wolff spring as suggested by JB. Thanks again for all the advice guys!!
I'd send it back to Kimber, again, and have them fix it. It's suppose to work with factory ammo every time w/o any new exttractors, springs etc.
Ditto on the "limp wrist" BS. E
Look at any Glock from the ejection port/right side. The external extractor, which is housed in the slide, is clearly visible near the top of the slide at the rear of the ejection port .....it is 1/2 inch long on the G23.

No such devise will be apparent in a firearm with an internal extractor. Kimber had notable extraction issues with many of their EE's.....the reason the military refused to enter into a contract with Kimber and why several PD's also followed suite or sent them back after taking delivery because of issues directly related to the EE's (Tacoma PD in WA state for one).

Some brands work well with EE's (Glock as one example), others obviously don't. Why some owner's of EE'd Kimbers have had no issues and other's do.........can't answer that, but I've known many here and in my personal life that had them changed out and were quite satisfied with the end result.

As I stated earlier.....my IE'd Kimber UC II has been flawless so far. Lucky, maybe, but I think not. I bought my Kimber smack in the middle of them makin' the switch from EE's to IE's and as a member of the Kimber Forum, I was at least informed enough to request their IE'd version over their remaining EE'd stock. As for lucky......maybe not so much.....wink

Hope this helps..........
It's not uncommon on most makes or versions of the 1911 design with an internal extractor for some fine tuning/adjusting of the tension & hook geometry to be required for absolute 100% functional reliability........doing the tuning/adjusting is no big deal at all if one knows........if one doesn't, then best to take it to one who does, and therein can be a problem.

Personally, I think Kimber is at the top of the heap of "off the shelf" 1911's, but sometimes a spring change or a couple of tweaks here or there can make a good gun into a perfect gun.

Sometimes nothing has to be done and you have a perfect gun. (By the way, I don't subscribe to the "necessary break-in" theory either; if all the parts are right, it'll run right, right from the start.)

MM
Good post MM. I concur. Having said that...........

As I stated above, my Kimber UC II arrived flawless. I expect that to this day, it would have continued to run that way with proper maintenance and suggested spring change-out intervals in regards to round count. BUT.....because loonies are loonies, I ordered every Wilson "Bullet Proof" part that they offer for the Officer's model 1911's.

I had a few minor honings to perform on a few parts to ensure a better fit/mating, but for me, that's fun and a learning experience. Best part, I've yet to experience any FT's of any type since these change-outs....thank God!!! I hate when I fix things not broken only to have created a monster that then becomes more of an annoyance rather than a challenge. I'm good at doing that..grin. Someday I'll learn.....wink. I did label and keep separate each original part from my Kimber that I changed-out, JUST IN CASE things didn't go as planned........I'm unpleasant, not stupid. Well, my opinion anyway, while perhaps not everybodies.

Like you, I also expect that each and every firearm (and actually all other new mechanical equipment) SHOULD run flawlessly from the get-go, but we all know that doesn't happen 100% of the time. I have found, however, that "beak-in", or whatever one calls it, is oftentimes helpful, in that it seems to smooth certain parts out that need such attention. This wasn't the case with any of my Glocks nor Kimbers, but my PPK/S, P38 and a few other handguns I've owned or own have certainly benefitted from such exercises. But as you say, problems usually have more to do with "if all the parts are right".

Take care MM............

magnumb,

Thanks for the feedback. Since my last post I've been doing some research on 1911's. From what I've found, it doesn't sound like the 1911's are relible, especially if deviated from the full size 5" barrel model. Plus 1911's are commanding a premium. I starting to thinking getting a 45acp in something like a Springfield XD 4" barrel would be a better gun than a 1911.

It was good knowing you Leomort...just kidding..grin.

You will soon be hearing from several 1911 gurus about how "wrong" your last post was concerning the "1911's aren't reliable" statement. I understand that you are researching such topics, but there's always several camps with different opinions in regards to such subjects..........always. And each is as adamant and loyal as the next......such is life and about certain other subjects, I'm no different.

I can't and won't deny another man his opinion, whether found through research or face to face, but I do know that lacking any hands-on experience from which to draw our own conclusions, we naturally seek out opinions of others. This is natural, normal and IMHO, prudent as opposed to drawin' straws. But, with so many camps, the waters become easily muddied.

I'll only say that there are 1911's that work well 100% of the time and those that don't. Many more believe that full-length Commanders are more reliable than their shorter cousins (which I expect might be true), but my 3in. Kimber has proven to be boringly flawless.

I'm not currently in the market for a new 1911, so I'll believe you that 1911's are currently commanding a premium. I also don't know squat about the XD's but to say that I've heard good things about them from several here. Most threads about which is better end up about 50/50 when comparing those who promote XD's as compared to those who lean Glock. Toss up, IMHO.

What gun fits you best and which one allows you the most confidence now that there are certain "ideas" already planted in your mind about some, whether real or imagined, is what you're likely to end up with......and should. That's not a slam on you leomort, we all do the exact same thing when faced with decisions like yours, especially lacking hands on experience from which to draw from.

Others will add their .02's worth soon, listen up. Again, we all have opinions and I don't know of anyone here that would intentionally lead you in the wrong direction.

Best of luck, but just remember, as with most models and manufacturers today, it's hard not to find a reliable sidearm. That being said, pick one that fits both what you desire it to do and what fits your hand well.

Take care............

Originally Posted by leomort
magnumb,

Thanks for the feedback. Since my last post I've been doing some research on 1911's. From what I've found, it doesn't sound like the 1911's are relible, especially if deviated from the full size 5" barrel model. Plus 1911's are commanding a premium. I starting to thinking getting a 45acp in something like a Springfield XD 4" barrel would be a better gun than a 1911.

Dude, buy what you like! The Kimber 1911's in the kind I like are $1300 a pop with a CT laser grip! Most folks just do not lubricate a 1911 properly and then it just ain't a gona work. I have seen grown men in screaming matches at their nice new 1911 guns and gun range personel over the POS they just paid for. When I examined the gun was 100% dry, no oil period.

The Glocks and XD's seem to thrive on abuse and I like Glocks, I could never see paying the money for the XD's as I saw them when they first came out from Croatia or whereever the hill it is they are from. Then unless you know what your doing you will never get a closer to 1911 trigger in a Glock or XD.

Finally like you say the Colt pattern guns are just expensive. I want another one, an UltraCompact Kimber with a laser.
magnumb,

Two good posts........with much restraint being exhibited in the 2nd one.

As to MIM parts, there are some here who's opinions I respect who think MIM stuff is just fine & in most instances, it is.............but, IMHO, one can never go wrong by upgrading to forged or conventionally cast parts.

Slide stops, safeties, hammers & sears are all worthy of being upgraded.

Here's a pic of a S&W MIM safety.........I've personally never had a failure but have seen them on several guns. Once saw a gun double because of excessive wear on a MIM sear.......that's a bit scary.

[Linked Image]

As far as leomort's comments on 1911's being unreliable, only a total novice with little to no exposure would make such a comment........there can be poor performing guns in any make or model.

People should buy what they like & what they think will work for them.

I love 1911's but will admit that there are better (read that as guns that may require less attention)
choices for the novice.

Glocks are just plain hard to beat for being idiot proof, as are revolvers; either would be my recommendation for folks that struggle with screwing nuts onto bolts, but insist on dealing with guns.

Could go on & on about 1911's & their attributes, but in this case, I think it would be a waste of time.

MM

yep, those 1911's sure are bullet proof reliable! after all look at the orignal poster having problems with his bullet proof reliabe 1911. let's not forget about google searches that turn up thousands of results of reliability issues with their 1911's, and I'm sure ALL of those people are absolute novices! yep that's must be the right answer...lol. please pass the 1911 kool aid.

while I'm sure that I'll continue to get bashed by the 1911 cult here, that doesn't change the facts that 1911's are not perfect. I don't believe any handgun is a perfect and that all handguns have trade-offs and compromises.
I'm not trying to start a pissing match about 1911's. I am/was considering a 1911 for CCW mainly because of the trigger. I've shoot two fullsize Kimber 1911's (forget the model), full size Springfield 1911, and a HK USP tactical. I shot those handguns very well. One problem I foresee is that they are all full size handguns and don't see them always being able to conceal well under all circumstances. I hope that the 1911 fans can see where trying to conceal a full-szie 1911 might pose some problems? A second and more concerning problem especially since I want this for CCW is reliability issues. I'm not sure where all the problems are coming from? Is it because 1911's are making a come back but buyers are demanding greater accuracy so the 1911's are being built to tighter standards and in essence becoming more target/match competition guns vs self-defense arms thus incurring greater reliability issues in sacrifie to accuracy?
I hope that the 1911 fans can see where trying to conceal a full-szie 1911 might pose some problems?

I wear a 1911 with shorts & a t-shirt.........the right holster makes all the difference in the world.

About the only attire that I can't wear a 1911 in is a swimsuit & w/o a shirt.

Granted, not everyone's physique will allow the use of good IWB holsters, though. (I'm 6'1" -215 lb.)

Just wondering how many & with what kind of rigs, you've tried, to know that 1911's don't conceal well?

A second and more concerning problem especially since I want this for CCW is reliability issues.

What is it with them (or yours) that makes you make that statement?

Go to some kind of competitions & see about the reliability of 1911's..........there's usually a few there to check out.

Mine are all 100% reliable.........they all weren't necessarily that way out of the box, given the desire to shoot some specific ammo, but a little TLC here & there & presto, reliability with a capital R.

I've already said it but I'll say it again; 1911's are not for everyone, especially those already predisposed to the view that they are unreliable; lots of other great pistols/revolvers will fit them better.

The fact that 1911's were the U.S. Military sidearm for well over half a century speaks volumes.........soldiers won't usually put up with non-functional weapons for that long a period of time.

The Kimber SIS was named as such because the LAPD SIS dept. chose it as their official sidearm.......they could have chosen anything; they chose a 1911.

MM
Hi MM,

I have not tried any other rigs for concealment, statement is coming from numberous post I've seen this very forum stating that it is difficult to CCW during, say warm summer months in Florida or Arizona, etc. Hell, see poster complaining about compact handguns "printing" numerous times.

Yes, I understand a good holster can help tremendously but a full size 1911 is still a fairly large gun unless somehow the laws of physics don't apply to 1911s. What is nice about 1911 is that due to their single stack design they are alot less bulky than double stack configuration.

Yep, I've seen that 1911 are used in competition alot. The 1911 would make a fine competition and target gun. But my question is in CCW. Also you're taking what, a $1300-$2200 gun and sinking a few more hundred dollars into tuning it up for competion? To me, that sound more like an equipment race as much as anything. Which if that's what you like, that's great and nothing wrong with. I was hoping not having to invest tha much initial $$$ into a handgun for CCW and then a few more hundred $$$$ into making it reliable, which sound excatly what alot of people do.

The military use and civilian use are different. The military are usually not dependent on their handgun to be their main defense arm. Wheareas a civilian has to be concern more with concealability and that this IS the main arm of defense.

From my understanding, the military 1911s while still having the basic design was built to much loser tolerance to function under poor battle field conditions, but accuracy usually wasn't that great,plus using only ball ammunition, correct? Compare to todays 1911s are built to much tighter almost match grade tolerance and deliver very good accuracy but appear to have traded off some reliability issues? As to the LAPD, they are openly carried so can carry as large a pistol as they want, civilians usually aren't allow open carried. But that Kimber SIS does look nice. I'm surprise that LAPD offical decided to arm their force with such an expensive guns, usually politics forego going with cheap(er) handguns that balance to the lowest common denominator. So what the police is not necessarily and indication of what is "best" by any means.

I agree that since the military still use ball ammo, that they should not have switch from the 1911, but that had to do with politics not ballistics.

Thank you for keeping this conversation civil. Despite what you may believe, I really do like the 1911. I'm just not sure if its the right choice for me as a CCW---due to size, etc. I may eventually end up buying one if funds allow. But right now, what I have will have to do and I want to take a CCW course first before I do actually carry. So for right now, it is my range gun and house gun until I get adequate training to carry. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at IDPA too if there is something around my area.
The references re: competition, the military & LAPD SIS were all mentioned to illustrate reliability.

As I've already mentioned, 1911's are not for everyone under any circumstances; many can just never seem to master shooting them well.

When/if you get a carry permit, you'll have to work out what gun & system works best for you.

I carry a Glock 27 at least as much as a 1911, but it's concealability, as well as all other Glocks isn't really any different, maybe even more difficult, than a 1911.

When I carry the Glock it's for one reason: It weighs 20 oz empty and that's half the weight of a Govt. Model 1911 and 8 oz lighter than an alloy framed Commander.

If you carry it for 12 hours, it's the weight issue that gets you not the concealability issue.

At any rate your own personal preferences & experience will ultimately dictate your choices; experience takes a while to come by and requires trying a number of things.

Several posters here like VAnimrod, Kevin Gibson, magnumb, Mackay Sagebrush & T LEE , to name just a few, all have a wealth of experience in the area of concealed carry.........their posts are worth paying attention to when they come up.

MM
Leomart, I have owned and shot Colt 1911's in the Gold Cup and the model (custom built) 70 series, even competed many years ago with those pistols. Trust me they were very reliable!

I never carried one for personal protection, I used a snub nosed Smith & Wesson .357 mag in those days. Very reliable!

Today I have 3 Kimbers, they too are reliable, a carry model in stainless, full size in blue and a stainless target model. No jams or hangups in those guns.

However, when you speak of CCW and concealment, why even my Glock 29 can be a little large depending on how hot it is outside and what I am doing at the time. If real hot, I go the route of the Smith & Wesson "Airweight" in .38spl. in my pocket.

Now I doubt very seriously if my Kimber pistols will shoot, if I dropped them in the mud out of sight and then fished them out of the mud, only to bury them in sand. Shake them off and then try to fire them without having a problem such as in JAM.

I do own an old Springfield that when you shake it a little, will give off sounds of loose marbles inside the pistol. Yeah, it won't begin to shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards but it sure as hell will put 3 into the torso area of a man sized target at 21ft., that area being 9 inches in diameter in case you don't know. This pistol you could bury in the sand and throw into the mud and it will go BANG when you pull that trigger.
I have a fairly decent collection of pistols to include 5 1911's currently. They run the gamut from basicaly bone stock GI's to a full out custom. All guns can have some issues and all my 1911's have had a few tweaks that made me more confident in them. I have tried about every popular carry pistol out there and keep coming back to my 1911's 99% of the time and if im dressed i have a pistol on me.

I have never had a FTF, FTB or FTE in any f my 1911's, but i take good care of my carry guns, and keep them lubed. Seen many guys buy 1911's for all the reasons they are popular just to cry when they have feed issues its amazing what a little FP10 on the rails will do.

I occasionally carry my G23, but usually its one of the 1911's as im 6'3" 230 lbs and i can conceal em in any manner of clothes with no issue. My holsters are all Milt Sparks VX or Kramers and all of them hide the gun well and are comfortable for all day wear.
Like MontanaMan, I also carry the G27 more often than any other handgun.......it is just my first choice based on my own reasons and personal fit. Heck, in this weather (read......HOT!), I carry the puny NAA 22lr quite a bit as well......wink.

Had occasion to find myself buddied up to a gov. issue 1911 in '69 during my SE Asia tour now and again. Marines seemed to get alot of hand-me-downs.......some weapons being no exception. Most 1911's I handled back then barely had any slide to rail contact.....not enough anyway that any of us today would call "reasonable". Certainly didn't cause us any concern then......they just kept pluggin' away....big plugs at that.

Many of todays manufacturers mate their slides to rails/frame so tight that any imperfection at all in this union can and does cause issues. Other manufacturers do the same and get away with it due to better all around QC. Crap shoot.......for the most part, yes. But as Matt stated, proper lubrication is very important, especially to a finicky firearm of any type. This and perhaps a few tweaks can turn a Rosie 'O into a Jessica Alba, well, perhaps a bit of an exxageration, but you get the drift.

VA owned a Kimber UC II just like mine and curses the day he let 'er go. He was quite satisfied with that gun, but as we loonies are prone to do, we take some in and we move some out. Montanaman carries both the 1911 and G27 and Matt (MA) carries both the G23 and 1911's. I carry the G27 almost exclusively, while just as confident when my 1911 is aboard. I perhaps love my G23 even a bit better in regards to hand fit, but the G27 rides better and isn't a distant 2nd in my hand. Matt is a very solid 230 and all of 6'3", so it doesn't surprise me that the G23 fits him better.

These posts are only guides to what some of us have discovered over the years. The culmination of these years easily encompass centuries of experience. What we know, we know. What we don't know, we don't assume. We'd never make good politicians because our goal is to learn new stuff ourselves, but also to help guide those who may be less experienced, for whatever reasons and to be honest in what we share. We don't get paid, there's no points to be had and there's no food or sex in it for any of us. (Remind me again why we do this.....?). But even if you approached your next purchase usin' every last bit of info you've gleaned from this thread alone, there's still no quarantee that "Murphy" won't raise it's ugly head and bite you in the azz.......BTDT, as have all of us, I'm sure.

Buy what you'd like based on what you think fits your needs and hand best. Give it time to come along if at first it doesn't go as smoothly as you'd like. If it still doesn't "feel" right, turn it and get your 2nd choice. You may lose a few $'s or you may gain a few $'s during this transition, but the only thing that truly is important is that you end up with a CCW that you are totally confident in carrying........day-in and day-out.

Best of luck to you.

MontanaMan - appreciate the pic, but at the same time, it freaked me out!! I don't expect that that will go unresolved for long.....wink. Makes me feel better about switchin' out to the Wilson BulletProofs......thanks and take care.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I'm glad to see that it isn't blind emotional fanaticism to their 1911's and that many do carry other handguns. That was one of my main points I was trying to convey. That is the full size 1911 is a BIG pistol and HEAVY pistol. And yes while a good holster can help carry (& conceal) a fullsize 1911, it isn't going to turn it into carrying something like a little .380ACP. Also since a full size 1911 are a larger and heavier guns, I would hate to see someone buy one for self-dense only to discover this fact and end never carrying it, thus defeating the purpose of CCW, ie having a gun when you need one.

While its great to have those semi-custom 1911's built to tight standard for target accuracy, it kinda of sadens me that the manufactures sacrifice some of the 1911's legendary reliability.

Yes, I've had my CCW permit for about 6 years but have not used it for CCW. I got it because I wanted to hunt with a handgun in my home state and this was the easiest way to keep from getting hassled by the police and game commish. Also, I want to take a CCW class first. I want to make sure I'm comfortable with my handgun fist. Mine is DA/SA and its weird getting use to the trigger of this type thus my attraction to the single action 1911's, they're GREAT!! Not sure if those trigger are necessary the best of self-defense as MM mention I'd think they would require alot more deligent training with one.

Wow, you guys carry a G27! A friend let me squeeze off a few shoots with one. Snappy little SOB! Knew right then & there that wasn't the handgun for me. Did shoot a G19 and that was alot nicer shooting for me at least.
Hey guys, a quick question for you. The Kimber Pro CDP II really appeals to me. Any feedback on it? It's on the lighter side due to frame being aluminum instead of steel and 4" barrel instead of 5" barrel. Thanks!
lemort,

With regards to the G27, yes, it is snappy; I carry 155 grain Win Rangers in mine as I feel they are considerably more shootable in the light gun than a heavier bullet but still offer good terminal performance.

The G26 is the same gun in 9mm & is much more docile if you want to try that..............

As to the 4" Kimber Pro II; nice gun & as you know it has no barrel bushing & the recoil spring/guide is not the standard GI version.

I've not shot the alloy framed version, but have shot the steel version and I like it, tho the weight reduction from full size isn't much.

For comparison, I can tell you that I do have both an alloy frame & a steel frame Commander size 1911 and there's a noticeable difference in muzzle jump between the two; I imagine the 4" lightweight Pro would be essentially the same.

The trade off in ease of all day carry due to the weight reduction is a no brainer for me though.

MM
MM,

Thanks for the feedback on the Kimber Pro CDP!
I had failure to return to battery problems with my Kimber CDPII Compact. To make a long story short - contact Wolff Spring at gunsprings.com and get a spring that will work.

My CDP has worked flawlessly after the settling on a load and assembling the correct spring. The spring delivered with the new pistol appears to be about an inch too short - likely a spring from a 3 inch model.
Thanks for the tip Boise! How do you like your CDP?
This is the spring you want for a Pro.

Wolff Improved XP Recoil Spring for .45 ACP
Wolff improved design recoil spring offers higher battery pressure along with a higher recoil rating, providing optimal functioning.
For all Pro Carry Series and Compact 4" Kimber guns only .45 ACP
Stock No. 32725....$ 7.89ea

You can find it on their website:

Wolff Springs

MM
Leomort if ya get a good buy on the PRO CDP i say go for it. My Pro CDP has been my 1911 carry gun of choice for about 7 years and shows it. It carries the Wolff spring MM posted above. It has been every bit as accurate as any .45 ive shot with the 200 GR Gold Dots and the Winchester Ranger T's of same weight. It has a few of the MIM pieces swapped out as i dont want to every worry about em. It has never hiccuped from light plinking handloads to full house +P carry loads in well over 4k rounds. It is a bit more snappy then my old steel framed Colt Commander i traded for it had, but this is mostly a carry gun for me so i deal with it.

I do like the glocks as well, my G23 was initially purchased as a knock aroung gun, but tis simple, durable and accurate. As Magnumb said I can hide it well with my size, build and usual clothing choices, but i also carry a 5" Nighthawk 1911 on occasion and it too hides just fine. I was really fond of my customized G30 (Ashley sights, Grip reduction, lighter connector etc), but the GF really took to it and I would rather her carry a gun she likes that i know will work when needed, so its hers now. It too was an absolute CCW winner and as accurate as any full size ive ever shot, just a bit wider then the G27's magnum and MM like but certainly is a great peice as well.

Carry guns are a very personal thing, as long as the choice is a quality weapon that is taken care of and carried in a quality holster one should be happy. I have several Bianchi and Galco holsters and they are okay, but they do not compare to the wares of Milt Sparks, Kramer etc. Quality gun leather can really make or break a carry gun choice
Lithian,

MontanaMan correctly describes what could be an extractor related problem. Another area could be improper fitting of the barrel. If the barrel fits too tightly into the slide, then you would have problems with the gun going into battery. Solution; as mentioned, send it back and force them to get it right. Going into battery is NEVER a limp wristing issue.
Originally Posted by lithian
All the mags I use are Wilson.

Blasphemy, I know, but that could be the problem. The 1911 is a CRF design, Wilson mags are not.

As designed, when the round exits the magazine it is held in place by the extractor and the top of the chamber. The barrel is linked down enhancing the feed angle.

Wilson magazines release the round earlier and on a straighter line with the chamber, usually controlled by the extractor alone. It's a slap-chambering kinda deal like most other pistol designs. It might improve reliability in a 1911 where the feed geometry isn't quite right or an extreme bullet nose is used. The lack of CRF gives the cartridge more wiggle room to chamber.

The early and straight release of a Wilson magazine might also throw the round into the top/edge of the chamber while the barrel is still linked down. The case hangs and the slide doesn't return to battery.
Whenever there exists a feeding or functioning issue with an auto-loading firearm, one must first try a different magazine. I cannot over-emphasize the role of the magazine.
Especially with a 1911, for which there exists a bazillion different magazines.

Clones are too often disregarded when reliability is discussed, such as earlier in this thread. Glock patents are starting to expire. As more and more clones are made will we call them all G17's? smirk
Thanks for the tip Boise! How do you like your CDP?

I like my CDP but don't often carry it, it is a very well made firearm. I prefering to carry a Taurus 85 Titanium. I'll also admit I don't carry often and live in a low risk area.

I truly enjoyed my phone conversation with Wolff and actually got to speak with the gentleman himself. I'm not doubting the part number shared above but am recommending you give him a call and share your problem. I purchased three springs, a light one for target loads, and two others for full power.
Originally Posted by JOG

Blasphemy, I know, but that could be the problem.

Gramps (we can call you that now, you know LOL), your age is showing................

Yes, any magazine can be a problem in any given gun as Kevin very rightly points out & it's hard to discover the real issues absent having the gun in hand.

But, I have had very good luck with the Wilson's (47 series) in 6 different 1911's I've tried them in; I do think the stronger spring is a big part of their success though.

As a rule, I prefer a more gradual release similar to the "newer" Colt hybrid design & have dressed the lips back on many others to get to that basic design............but I have to say again, the Wilson's have been very good for me as have the Tripp Cobra mags which are similar.

MM

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Gramps (we can call you that now, you know LOL), your age is showing................

I could still kick your azz as long as you didn't fight back.
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I could still kick your azz as long as you didn't fight back.

Delusional too, I see !!!!!!!!!!

MM
Okay...I could still kick your azz as long as you were unconscious.

C'mon, give an ol' man something...
Aw'right............I'll lay down for ya, just this one time though, and only 'cause of your new status.

Did you celebrate by buying a new CCO for that kid to have later and for you to work out the kinks on until such time?

Perfect excuse...............

MM
Still working picking up a CCO, sorta. The gunshow circuit is real slow this time of year around here. The pace will pick up as the hunting seasons start up and then through the winter.
It would be pure luck to find one in such a narrow search scope..............

I'll keep my eyes open but they don't come 'round too often.

MM
Hey guys, a quick question for you. The Kimber Pro CDP II really appeals to me. Any feedback on it? It's on the lighter side due to frame being aluminum instead of steel and 4" barrel instead of 5" barrel. Thanks!
I have the 4 inch kimber gun with the camo laser grips, I have had it for a couple of years now, its has worked with no failures except the first box the slide would not completely close about once a magazine. I have shot it 500 rounds or so. I like the gun, like Magnumb I plan to buy the 3 inch shorter barreled Kimber with a laser grip. Slip2000 on the rails and it works fine.
© 24hourcampfire