Home
Looking to pick up a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk .44 magnum after the Holidays. My question to you fine folks is, which do it yourself modifications are worth while, and which are a waste of money and or time??

Thanks, Rob
[Linked Image]

I roundbutted my .44 Mag with a grinder and polishing wheel. Like the way it turned out. No money involved. A little nervous perspiration however.

Dan
I like, and do the free spin pawl modification to all my New model Black hawks.
Belt Mountain #5 Base Pin is the first thing I add to a Ruger revolver.

Bowen Rough Country rear sight is the second thing I'd add.

Take off the grips and remove one of the legs of the trigger spring from its stud, that'll drop the trigger pull about two pounds and does not affect reliability. I have done this on all my Rugers and never had a light strike with all brands of pistol primers.

Beyond that there's not much to do; a new set of grips is always nice but that's like buying shoes, you have to buy by feel.
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
[Linked Image]

I roundbutted my .44 Mag with a grinder and polishing wheel. Like the way it turned out. No money involved. A little nervous perspiration however.

Dan

dan i like your round butt grip
A Millet or Bowen rear sight.
-Belt Mountain Base pin
-Free-spin pawl (easily modified yourself without spending the
$20+ on a new one that is modified)
-Wolf Spring for the trigger (to lighten it);(leave the hammer
spring alone)
-Bowen Rough Country rear sight
-New front sight (done yourself) following the instructions in
this article (http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes. htm/59)
(BTW, this front sight works extremely well and is very
visible in all lighting conditions)
-Check cylinder throats for proper size and uniformity
(Cylindersmith or done yourself if not uniform and/or proper
dimension); (Really matters if shooting cast)
Originally Posted by tbear99

I sure am glad you remembered to add the word "grip".

wink

I put the One Ragged Hole aperture rear sight on my Bisly Hunter model in 41.

It sure changes the sight picture. I prefer it a great deal over the factory rear sight.

Most say the aperture is not capable of precise bullet placement like the factory style sight. But I am no more accurate with one than the other.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

wink

i made sure of it when i was writing LOL laugh laugh
Looks like outdoorfan sums it all up pretty good. Thank You, Gents.

Rob
Great advice here. I kicked one side of the trigger spring off of my SS 5 1/2" Bisley, installed a Wolff hammer spring, and replaced the wood grips with cheap checkered Black Vintage Polymer grips from Midway,USA ($25). Just another set of options. Good luck.
Originally Posted by OldRemmington
Looks like outdoorfan sums it all up pretty good. Thank You, Gents.

Rob

Yep!
Ordered the Bisley Blackhawk from my dealer yesterday, and also ordered the Bowen sights, a Wolff spring kit, a steel ejector housing, and a Belt Mountain cylinder pin, and a set of Hogue ebony grips for starts. Everything should come together next week. Sort of a Christmas present to myself, seeing as how I am instore for socks and such from the wife and kids. I'll be posting up more info, asking some more questions and the like as I start in on my new project.

Thank you again for the input and help Gentleman.

Rob
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

wink

LOL!

John
Ordered the Bisley Blackhawk from my dealer yesterday, and also ordered the Bowen sights, a Wolff spring kit, a steel ejector housing, and a Belt Mountain cylinder pin, and a set of Hogue ebony grips for starts. Everything should come together next week. Sort of a Christmas present to myself, seeing as how I am instore for socks and such from the wife and kids. I'll be posting up more info, asking some more questions and the like as I start in on my new project.

Rob

Sounds very nice. Pretty close to what im shooting but I cant seem to find a stainless steel ejector housing and mine is just a super blackhawk. I love the gun though.

Fantastic Christmas present! Enjoy!!
Oh, that sounds like the perfect self gift.... What did you get me? wink
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Belt Mountain #5 Base Pin is the first thing I add to a Ruger revolver.

Bowen Rough Country rear sight is the second thing I'd add.

Take off the grips and remove one of the legs of the trigger spring from its stud, that'll drop the trigger pull about two pounds and does not affect reliability. I have done this on all my Rugers and never had a light strike with all brands of pistol primers.

Beyond that there's not much to do; a new set of grips is always nice but that's like buying shoes, you have to buy by feel.

What do you gain/cure by using the Belt Mtn. base pin?

Rob

That's a great start Rob. Might as well have the gun looking perfect before you've fired the first shot. wink

While you've got it torn apart to install the springs, apply some TW-25B between all parts that rub and move against each other. It'll slick things up nicely.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

What do you gain/cure by using the Belt Mtn. base pin?

It takes some wobble out of the cylinder, and comes with an allen screw to ensure the pin won't slip forward under recoil. The #5 pin also looks sorta like the one Elmer used, so it's got more curb appeal than the stock one.
Originally Posted by Oregon45

I've been doing that for several years with all of my SA Rugers. Since the trigger spring has nothing to do with the hammer spring, you're right, it doesn't affect ignition reliability at all. It DOES make the trigger pull much nicer though--------for free. wink
© 24hourcampfire