Home
Anyone know if it's possible to have a GP100 converted to a 5 shot .44 special? I realize it would be somewhat extensive to do so, new cylinder, lockwork, ream and re-rifle barrel, etc. Just seems like the field gun of my dreams. I'll probably receive a little ridicule for this idea, but hey, a medium frame big bore revolver would suit me just fine.
It is possible check sites like Hamilton Bowen or Dave Clements or Gary Reeder

I am sure you can find somebody that owns one at this forum Single Actions
Posted By: JOG Re: .44 special GP100 conversion? - 01/17/10
A .44 Special GP100 is a worthy goal in itself just based on coolness. However, there are cheaper ways to get it done. A S&W Mountain gun in .44 Mag of course does the .44 Special thing and is only about 4-oz. heavier than the GP100. The S&W Model 696 is already a 5-shot .44 Special. Taurus isn't the path I would take, but they also offer lightweight .44 Mags.

Set aside enough dough for a GP100 conversion (plus the gun) and you would probably have enough to buy the pick of the litter from the S&W Performance Center and a variety of alloy and lightweight .44's.
Most of the smiths mentioned above have done 5 shot 44 Spec conversions in the past but no longer offer them. It's just too much effort and the cost was way up there.

Dave Clements does offer a GP 6 shot conversion in 10mm/40. And though he doesn't mention it on his sight, he'll do it in 41 Spec also.

Pete

Originally Posted by JOG
A .44 Special GP100 is a worthy goal in itself just based on coolness. However, there are cheaper ways to get it done. A S&W Mountain gun in .44 Mag of course does the .44 Special thing and is only about 4-oz. heavier than the GP100. The S&W Model 696 is already a 5-shot .44 Special. Taurus isn't the path I would take, but they also offer lightweight .44 Mags.

Set aside enough dough for a GP100 conversion (plus the gun) and you would probably have enough to buy the pick of the litter from the S&W Performance Center and a variety of alloy and lightweight .44's.

Aren't all the 'Smiths you mention built on N frames? A medium frame is a must for me. Not so much for the weight as for grip and frame size. I am cursed with short fingers and the GP100 grip frame and trigger reach feel very comfortable to my hand.

I'm sure your right about the cost though. Would be expensive I imagine.

Thanks to all for the info.
The 696 is on the smaller L frame. But I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more which is a shame.
The 696 is a great firearm. I own a -1. And wouldn't part with it for anything... well it would be quite a high price.... and if you find one on one of the online auctions it's going to go high as well.
It is an L Frame like a 686. That may be an option as well. You maybe able to find a 586 or 686 and have a cylinder and barrel fitted.
Just some thoughts.

BTW, a 696 will not be as expensive as a conversion.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Anyone know if it's possible to have a GP100 converted to a 5 shot .44 special? I realize it would be somewhat extensive to do so, new cylinder, lockwork, ream and re-rifle barrel, etc. Just seems like the field gun of my dreams. I'll probably receive a little ridicule for this idea, but hey, a medium frame big bore revolver would suit me just fine.
Years ago someone wrote up an article in one of the gun rags on his conversion of a Ruger Speed Six to a five shot .44 Special. I always thought that was a cool idea.
Look for a 696, they can be found, I have a no dash that has been either on my hip or in a chest holster most of the time when I leave the house. Taurus made a 5 shot in titanium which is a joy to carry might be able to find one. My 696 and Taurus I would not sell they are great
Originally Posted by CWORETIRED
Look for a 696, they can be found, I have a no dash that has been either on my hip or in a chest holster most of the time when I leave the house. Taurus made a 5 shot in titanium which is a joy to carry might be able to find one. My 696 and Taurus I would not sell they are great
Very nice indeed.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 696_ahrends.jpg
nice grips what make are they? the 696 sure is a nice gun to bad they droped it.
The grips are Ahrends.
That's a sharp-looking gun you got there Hawk.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
That's a sharp-looking gun you got there Hawk.
Don't I wish. Not mine, though. I just Googled it up as an illustration of what another poster (CWORETIRED) was referring to.
Sorry, my bad. Thought you was proudly showin' off.

The 696 would suit my needs very well. Seems odd that as hard as it sounds it is to find a used one that S&W wouldn't keep it in the lineup. Seems there are some guns in their lineup that fill ane even smaller niche than the 696.
You guys will choke, but years ago I bought a 696 no dash from a pawnshop for $250, and then later sold it for $350. Wish I had that one back...........
If it makes you feel any better, I've done some pretty boneheaded things regarding selling guns too. frown
If we only knew...

I was checking out the prices on used S&W Model 17's and thinking about what I sold a couple or three of those for. cry
.44 Special will always be a loony round. Or as I put it, a round that appeals only to those intelligent enough to know what it's really all about. wink
The 696 is a great gun but now hard to find and will cost. tominbosie I also bought my no dash for $250 used at the hardware store but I will not be selling it for $350, but I have let others go I sure wish I still had. bruinruin you might take a look at the Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special sure looks like a nice one.
Originally Posted by CWORETIRED
The 696 is a great gun but now hard to find and will cost. tominbosie I also bought my no dash for $250 used at the hardware store but I will not be selling it for $350, but I have let others go I sure wish I still had. bruinruin you might take a look at the Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special sure looks like a nice one.
The old Bulldog .44s from the 1980s were excellent little guns. A 19 ounce, five shot, .44 Special. I had one back then. Sold it a few years later because I needed the money. Sure wish I'd kept it.
I have a 28oz SS Taurus mod 415 2 1/2" ported in .41mag. The cylinder is too short for some of the heavy .41mag loads, but the Fed 250gr Cast Cores work fine in it. I carry it and sleep with it in any bear country. I'm thinking about trying some of the new .41 Specials in it for vehicle carry. I'm another one of those guys that let an old Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 Special get away too cheap. It was sweet and I carried it with regular ammo and hand loaded birdshot.
Hawkeye, how about that little Win Mod 06 .22 hammer pump rifle that I sold for $25 to buy my $115 NIB Rem 1100 shotgun? When you are buying a home and have a baby on $42 a week, you do what you gotta do. Life is good.
Just did a little digging on the 696 and found out that it was in production from about '97 until 2002. Pretty short lived. I don't hold out much hope of finding one.
Every once in a while you see them for sale on the internet, but for a lot more than Blue Book.
Those are nice. Used to have and like I usually do, I end up getting rid of the good ones. Don't know how old this is. Worth a try.
http://www.fsguns.com/used/?action=detail&indx=3959
Relative to what folks are asking on gunbroker that's a good price for one. I've seen people wanting to get $800 'cause it's "rare!"

Was really tickled when S&W announced these and then was so disappointed when I saw it had a 3" barrel. I know, I know, it's the kind of silly thing no one in their right mind really loses any sleep over, but I sat up night after night wishing they had put a 4" barrel on these.

wink
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Those are nice. Used to have and like I usually do, I end up getting rid of the good ones. Don't know how old this is. Worth a try.
http://www.fsguns.com/used/?action=detail&indx=3959
Apparently it sold already. Not listed among the S&W revolvers they have for sale.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Relative to what folks are asking on gunbroker that's a good price for one. I've seen people wanting to get $800 'cause it's "rare!"

Was really tickled when S&W announced these and then was so disappointed when I saw it had a 3" barrel. I know, I know, it's the kind of silly thing no one in their right mind really loses any sleep over, but I sat up night after night wishing they had put a 4" barrel on these.

wink

Jim, I can appreciate your worries over a 3" versus a 4" barrel. It's what I want in a mid frame .44 special too.
Maybe it's because my mind is conditioned to think, 3" barrel means slightly oversized hideout gun and 4" barrel means trail/holster gun.
© 24hourcampfire