Home
Posted By: CAMONICK python price - 08/07/10
Whats a 6 inch colt python .357 blued bringing these days? Ive seen them as high as $1500 in the past year at local auctions. This one does not have a box, but is in good condition. oh and she was made in 1978
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: python price - 08/07/10
I saw a couple at the local gunshow a few weeks back for around $1200. Didn't inspect them, just noticed the prices.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: python price - 08/07/10
I've seen them from $900-$1800 depending on what year and who's asking.
Posted By: Tonk Re: python price - 08/07/10
A younger fellow purchased one last month for $1350, 6 inch blue and in excellent condition with the box it came in and 100 pieces of ammo.
Posted By: CAMONICK Re: python price - 08/07/10
yeah it seems like most are above 1000 now. Thanks fellas
Posted By: croldfort Re: python price - 08/12/10
I looked on GunsAmerica and they have about 50 Pythons starting at $1000. I think that the Python might be the most accurate revolver ever made. That being said, I have a Colt Official Police that is as smooth and accurate as any Python that I have ever shot, but with fixed sights. They are about 1/4 the cost of a Python.
Posted By: T LEE Re: python price - 08/12/10
This is the blue book pricing but I see them going much higher as they are a finite resource as in no longer made.

Python Blue or Royal Blue Finish (Mfg. circa 1970-1996)
Grading
100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$1,050 $950 $775 $675 $600 $500 $395
Last MSR was $815.
Add 20% for NIB condition.
Add 35% for 3 in. barrel.
Beware of loose 3 in. barrel models sold by GPC and others during the 1990s.
The standard Python was manufactured 1955-1996, and 1997-recent production is through the Colt Custom Shop by special order only (see Python Elite listing).
During 2001-2002, Colt shipped some Pythons to dealers with prices in $1,100 - $1,200 retail range. These guns had a slightly different (rougher) line checkering pattern on the cylinder release and hammer parts.
There were also a few Pythons mfg. in .256 Win. Mag. (circa 1961), .38 Spl. (Python Target), .41 Mag., and .44 Spl. cals. While the .22 LR and the .22 WMR (.22 Mag.) were advertised in earlier factory catalogs, they were never mass-produced - only a few prototypes exist. At least one known example of a .22 cal. Python was found at an auction, but it had only a special factory barrel sleeve for photographic purposes, and was not a shootable gun. The amount of premium on these cals. depends on how serious (and deep-pocketed) the Python collector is.
A California distributor special ordered a quantity of the first 3 in. barreled Pythons, which at the time were not available. Colt probably utilized made-up 8 in. guns and either had them modified or re-barreled, with special marking. These guns are an unusual variant (sometimes referred to as a Combat Python), and are priced similarly to later factory 3 in. barrel Pythons.
Posted By: Tonk Re: python price - 08/12/10
T-Lee, the young man who works at the shooting range purchased one 2 months ago (6 inch blue Python) in excellent condition for $1350 dollars pulse shipping. The real nice one's are hard to find from what most folks have told me that dabble in those handguns.
Posted By: T LEE Re: python price - 08/12/10
That is why I said this.

This is the blue book pricing but I see them going much higher as they are a finite resource as in no longer made.
Posted By: GF1 Re: python price - 08/14/10
Collect the Colt, shoot the Smiths (N frame, that is). The Python is over rated, IMO, compared to similar vintage (and cheaper) Smith and Wessons. I've had and shot several; the only Colts in my corral have AQHA papers.
Posted By: safariman Re: python price - 08/14/10
Collect and shoot them ALL is what I say.
Posted By: safariman Re: python price - 08/14/10
Still wanting a Python, hopefully a good deal on one will show up at the same time I have some money or trade bait! The OK to good deals seem to crop up when I am the most broke.
Posted By: T LEE Re: python price - 08/14/10
Story of my life!
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: python price - 08/14/10
I carry this one quite frequently
[Linked Image]
Posted By: T LEE Re: python price - 08/14/10
KICK AZZ!
Posted By: Scott F Re: python price - 08/14/10
I bought my 4" Python new in the box for $240. That would have been about '72. Traded it for a car when I got divorced and drove the car to Oregon to start all over. Lost the Python but it was worth it to get rid of the ex.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: python price - 08/14/10
Originally Posted by GF1
Collect the Colt, shoot the Smiths (N frame, that is). The Python is over rated, IMO, compared to similar vintage (and cheaper) Smith and Wessons. I've had and shot several; the only Colts in my corral have AQHA papers.

I have only pulled the trigger on one Python, but have owned and shot several S&W. The double action on the Python was much nicer than the Smiths. The Smith ranged from the early sixties to the eighties. They may be better now.
Posted By: GF1 Re: python price - 08/15/10
Disagree completely on the Colt double action pull. Not a matter of smoothness, but I can't stand the increased loading of the pull as it approaches letoff. I much prefer the Smith mechanism which doesn't have this problem; the Smiths shoot quicker and more accurately for me.
Posted By: CAMONICK Re: python price - 08/15/10
Well needless to say I bought the python I was looking at. The price was just too good to pass up. Thanks for the info T LEE, I wasnt aware that the python was manufactured in soo many calibers. From my expierence with this python, I can tell you its the cats meow of double actions. smooth would be a word id use to describe a colt python.
Posted By: safariman Re: python price - 08/15/10
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by GF1

I have only pulled the trigger on one Python, but have owned and shot several S&W. The double action on the Python was much nicer than the Smiths. The Smith ranged from the early sixties to the eighties. They may be better now.

Love my 329PD, but the action on the Python is, in my opinion and experience, vastly superior to any S&W I have ever fired.
Posted By: GF1 Re: python price - 08/15/10
I've had four Pythons over the last 35 years, nine or so N-frame Smiths (four of which stayed). A 6.5" M29 needed a factory smoothing job, and was perfect thereafter. None required for the rest, all of which I preferred to any of the Pythons (four and six inch) for both action and feel.

The Colt action (Python inherited from the Officer's Model Match) is nice and smooth, but I find the heaavier stacking of the Colt actions an impediment to accurate and fast double action shooting.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: python price - 08/15/10
Originally Posted by GF1
Disagree completely on the Colt double action pull. Not a matter of smoothness, but I can't stand the increased loading of the pull as it approaches letoff. I much prefer the Smith mechanism which doesn't have this problem; the Smiths shoot quicker and more accurately for me.

Maybe this one was tuned. I don't know. It did not load and stayed smooth and consistant thoughout the trigger squeeze.
Posted By: safariman Re: python price - 08/15/10
The two that I had, and should have kept, also did not load up. Very consistent and light throught the pull in DA mode.
© 24hourcampfire