Home

Excellent article by Ross Seyfried

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-seyfried-lipseys-ruger-flattop-44-special-bisley-revolvers/
Yep. After reading it I had a hard time deciding on the Bisley version or the standard. I went with the standard.
yep yep!
Something about the Bisley that I've never liked the looks of. Love the conventional Peacemaker lines, but not the Bisley, even though I hear they have a lot to recommend them in terms of function.
TRH, I feel the same way. But as usual, Ross's article almost compells me to go out and buy one anyway.

Looks like he has aged quite a bit since I last saw his work in the Wolfe magazines. From those pictures, he sort of resembles Jeff Cooper a little bit.

Shoot a Bisley a while and it will look a lot better to you
Man, you guys are Lipsey sluts. wink

A thread-choked revolver that shoots 6-inch groups at 50-yards? Yeah, sign me up...

Originally Posted by Ross Seyfried
To cut to the chase I lapped the 4 5/8� barrel with 60 shots. You can see the results in the photos. In essence the accuracy went from about three inches at 25 yards to about four inches at 100 yards! The accuracy was with the iron sights and in my hands. I suspect if one were to put on a scope and shoot from a benchrest the revolver would be frightening. I gave the 5 �-inch gun another treatment, called a �Taylor Throat.� This involves reaming a short, about �-inch long smooth bore, in the barrel, just past the forcing cone. The Taylor throat does a few things, not the least of which eliminates any thread choke. It also allows the bullet to get into the barrel and be perfectly aligned before we ask it to begin to spin. After the throating I fire lapped this barrel only 12 shots, and it shot just like the 4 �� one. Incidentally it was a barrel just like this, Taylor throated and fire lapped, that I used to fire 1-inch groups at 100 yards, with all six chambers in a revolver! The Taylor Throat is a machining operation for a skilled and knowledgeable gunsmith. Or one day, we hope we might see factory barrels like this right from Ruger. With both revolvers tuned and highly accurate I experimented with some different bullets and loads.

jwp475,

Thanks for posting that link. I always enjoy reading Ross's articles -- wish he would write more.

Paul
Because I have a set of paws that my wife calls "tennis raquets" I have always preferred the bisley grip. It just feels better in my hands. I was just last week looking at the Lipsey's website and mulling the purchase of one of these with the 4 5/8" barrel. The next day, a 4 inch 629-1 came through the shop and I picked it up for about a C note less than I would have had to put in the Ruger. I guess I will have to wait on the Ruger...

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Because I have a set of paws that my wife calls "tennis raquets" I have always preferred the bisley grip.

Bisley grips work well for my small hands, too.

My SBH went from unshootable to shootable when I installed a Bisley conversion kit from Brownells some years back.

- Tom
Not for me. I enjoyed my Bisley 44 for six months, but it never felt "natural" to me in my tiny paws. I sold it to a board member and bought a standard framed model. That one feels MUCH better to me. Of course, I may simply be so used to the standard grip frame after all these years that anything different might feel wrong to me.

BTW, I took so long doing extensive load workups for it that I was too late to get an article on the Bisley accepted. I apologize to those waiting for it.
The late Jeff Cooper wrote that one reason the handgun is the most personal of weapons is the physical variation among shooters, especially among their hands. No wonder that personal responses to the Ruger Bisley grip vary so widely.
I agree completely. Even small differences in 1911 guns are noticable to me and significant.
I've noticed that I like slightly different grips for different purposes. In a 1911, I like a slim(er) grip on a combat pistol, but a fuller grip on a target gun.
Then there are those excellent guns which justy don't feel right. Must be why there are so many makes and models out there. E
I know the FA97 Round butt fits my hand best....just need the coin wink
MSRP is $629.00. Not counting transfer fee, what are these hoglegs going for?

L
About $500 over the counter. I got mine for $400 and some trade at a store not known for deep discounts. The non-Bisley versions run for about $430.
I never liked regular Blackhawks but the Lipsey version suits me very, very well. I love it.

Travis
Yours a Bisley?
His article prompted me to finally go out and firelap my two .44 Flat Tops this weekend. Had to cast some straight WW bullets yesterday morning then load them up with grit.

The bores on both of mine at mid barrel - a standard and a Bisley - are right at .429 to .4295 with throats in the .430 to .431 range, a good situation to have. However, even with those tight bores there is noticeable constriction at the frame.

Gotta go slow with firelapping. I've turned some so-so Rugers into real target grade pieces but also ruined a perfectly good .357 Blackhawk once by being imprudent.

Managed to loosen up the constrictions a bit on both but will get out next weekend and run some more firelap bullets through.
Like both grips on mine. The standard does feel better but that Bisley really mitigates recoil - less filling or more taste? Take your pick. wink

One thing that bugs me is the lowered Bisley hammer. It doesn't provide the leverage of the standard hammer so it makes the revolver more awkward to cock.
I got mine for $515.00 sales tax included.
I'd be personally concerned about 'over doing it' with fire lapping, not having much experience there. I think it's a good option, but as stated above one must go slow.

I wonder if shooting alot of jacketed bullets thru a new gun w/accomplish the same thing? Heard an author state after a few hundred rounds of jacketed bullets in a Ruger Red Hawk, accuracy improved, fouling subsided, esp. w/cast.

Anyone know how fire lapping compares to a few hundred jacketed rounds?

No doubt a good smith can 'throat' the bbl etc. and likely do the same job w/tools, time, and labor, perhaps a little more expensive, but I wonder if more predictable?

Fire lapping works very well, just don't shoot more than needed
A few hundred rounds of jacketed will smooth up a revolver bore (IMe) and it may or may not enlagrge that frame constriction a bit. I never measured a new barrel and then again after a few hundred jacketed to know.

But firelapping does work. I learned how from Veral Smith - was trying to find his instructions this weekend, they aren't in his book.

Just go slow - velocity and number of shots. You want to be able to start a lead slug in the muzzle and have it slide down with NO resistance when it passes through the frame. You have to be real sure there is no leading there as that will give a false reading. That's what happened with my .357 - I hit leading, thought the constriction was still tight and fired a bunch more, leaving the throat area way too big.

You need to load way under book starting loads but you have to be careful not to stick a bullet in the bore. Not having a good idea what charge to use for the .44 Special this past Saturday I loaded my first rounds too hot - 4.9 231 under a 200 grain Lee RNFP loaded with 320 grit lapping compound, fired 42 rounds of these. Sunday I went out with 3.8 gr. 231 and the recoil still showed that to be too much. You really should be able to see the bullet arc out in flight. But I was worried about sticking one in the bore so loaded a bit too much. Will finish next weekend with 3.0 231 and see how that works.
Jim ,
Sent you a PM
Great article. Thanks
© 24hourcampfire