handgun I have ever owned. The single 6 is a fun handgun
and I enjoy shooting 22 mag thru it.

However...22mag is now $10 or more a box eek
and can not be reloaded.
Any comments on 22mag handguns ?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10

More powerful than a 22 LR
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10
I have several 22 MRF revolvers, all Rossi 515s and S&W 48s. I liket the 22 MRF because it is the lightest practical survival and self-defense rounds, plus the CCI snake-shot is much better than the 22 LR.

I shoot more 22 LRs in my 22 MRFs than I do 22 MRF ammo, using the chamber adapters from MCACE. Not match grade accuracy, but go enough for minute-of-rabbit at 25 yards and a lot less expensive way to practice.

www.mcace.com

Jeff
Posted By: bea175 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10
I have owned a number of 22 mag handguns over the years and in my opinion they are not that much better than 22 lr in the short barrel of a handgun, noisier and not worth the extra cost of the ammo . I will take my pistol chambered for the 22 lr and use the magnum in a rifle where you see the real improvement over the 22 lr.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10
I disagree. Performance wise, a 22 MRF fired from a 4" revolver is about like a 22 LR fired from a rifle. The 40 and 45 grain JHPs and JSPs penetrate deeper and kill animals like coons larger better than the 22 LR, or at least that has been my experience. When it comes to shooting CCL snake-shot, the 22 MRF is way ahead of the CCI 22 LR snake-shot.

Jeff
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10
Hotload: I have three Smith & Wesson revolvers in caliber 22 Magnum.
One is a Model 651 and the others are Model 48's.
I also have two Ruger Super Single 6's with the 22 Magnum cylinders.
I enjoy them all immensely but do not fire them at a rate that would harm my pocketbook any!
I remember many years ago cursing the fact that 22 Magnum ammo was now passing the $1.99 a box of 50 price!
I would love to have 22 Magnum available again for $2.25 a box!
My local pawn/sport shop got in a brand new lightweight semi-auto pistol in 22 Magnum last week and it was gone in less than an hour!
There is a market for 22 Magnum pistols!
I do not feel competent enough to compare my experiences with 22 Magnum pistols as compared to 22 LR pistols - I of course know that the 22 Magnum has more velocity and energy in comparable barrel lengths but to quantify the difference I can't do.
Years ago I killed a rattlesnake with my S&W 22 Magnum Kit Gun and shot loads - and it did a pretty fair job of killing that snake quickly (this is sometimes hard to do by the way!).
I see some 22 Magnum ammo for $14.00 a box!
I like 22 Magnum pistols myself.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: croldfort Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10
I am a big fan of the the .22mag. My only handgun in it, is a sweet Charter Arms SS 3" Pathfinder that I bought new in the 70's. It might be my last handgun to go. Targets and bottles are what make the .22LR shine. I would much rather have a .22mag for woods carry than a .22LR, if I am not plinking.
Posted By: ken458 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10
If you look around on the internet, you can find 22 mag ammo for $70 a brick (= $7/box of 50). That's not much more than the premium .22 LR rounds.

I shoot a S&W model 51 (3.5" barrel), and a 651 (4" barrel) and both are very accurate and hit hard.
Posted By: L_Killkenny Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/22/10
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I disagree. Performance wise, a 22 MRF fired from a 4" revolver is about like a 22 LR fired from a rifle. The 40 and 45 grain JHPs and JSPs penetrate deeper and kill animals like coons larger better than the 22 LR, or at least that has been my experience. When it comes to shooting CCL snake-shot, the 22 MRF is way ahead of the CCI 22 LR snake-shot.

Jeff

I'll agree with it being about the same as a .22LR outta a rifle but it's still just a bunny and small game getter. Anything I wouldn't use a .22LR rifle for I wouldn't use a .22M handgun for either and accuracy is not as good from a handgun so shot placement is harder. Me? I jump right over the .22M and go to a .32 or .38sp. The .38sp is substantially more powerfull and capable of taking coyote sized game and possibly small deer and ammo isn't much more than .22M ammo. My 2 cents....

CB
Posted By: antlers Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
I've got a 6" Model 648 S&W .22 mag. and it's a blast to shoot. It's well made and accurate. It's got noticeably more 'pop', on both ends, than my 617.
Posted By: croldfort Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
It seems to be apples, oranges, plums, and stuff. Prairie dogs die at 200yds from centerfire rifles in .22's, .24's, .25's, and larger. Folks here seem to be moving away from the centerfires to the .22mag autos in Ruger and Rem for the little rascals. To me, shooting at a running coyote with a .38 handgun is a joke. Some folks can do it, but I shoot a .22mag much more accurate. FWIW, the new 30rd KelTec auto in .22mag is in my future.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
I've shot more than a few whitetails while doing herd reduction with the 22 MRF and think that it is a pretty fair killer at short ranges.

I don't own any .32 or .38 revolvers, just a few DAs in 22 LR, 22 MRF, 357 Mag, 44 Spl, 44 Mag, and 45 LC. I carry a Rossi 515 more than any other revolver with 2 CCI snake-shot cartridges and 4 JHP or JSP cartridges. Buying a set of Ace Dube's 22 LR in 22 MRF adapters allows the shooter to practice with bulk 22 LR and, as with most things, practice makes perfect. I carried a 4" S&W 66 for a long time, but found that the 22 MRF would do most of the things that I need a revolver to do and do it in a lighter and easier to shoot package. If S&W had made a stainless clone of the 4" 48, I'd have to take a hard look at buying 1, even though I am boycotting S&W.

Jeff
Posted By: rc82bttb Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
I have been looking for a 648 22mag for a while now and can think of more then a couple uses for such a pistol. I wish there were more options available in a 22mag pistol as it is an awesome round.
I don't care for the full-lug S&W 617s or 648s, too big, too heavy, for my tastes. I know that it isn't PC, but I really like the Rossi 515 with the larger factory target grips that were intended for the 720s.

Jeff
Posted By: frogman43 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
I have a first model S&W 48 and love it!
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
I have shot more 'chucks with a 22 mag than any other.
We had a back yard about 150 yds deep and a used $50 Marlin rifle kept the lawn, rodent free!
I have 2 S&W 48s, a 4" and a 6", but they are too good/valuable to carry on a regular basis during our hot, humid, summers. If I lived in a dry climate, I'd be OK with carrying a blued CM firearm, but in a humid climate, SS works better for me. I have a 6" 617, but don't like the full length ejector shroud, so it never leaves the house.

Jeff
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
I'm with the 260Remguy. I've shot lots of small game with both .22 long rifle, HP loads and with the .22 RFM. No comparison on the small stuff. Anchors even the smaller stuff, like squirrels, better and far more effective on the bigger stuff like jack rabbits, coons, etc.
Ditto on the effectiveness of the shot rounds on rattle snakes. Killed a sidewinder very dead with that load. E
Posted By: leomort Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/23/10
I have a 6" 617 as well. That handgun's weight was what turn me to get a 4" GP100. It was lighter and handier to carry than the 617. Skipped right over the 22rfm and shoot the 38specials.
Posted By: RJM52 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/24/10
Price wise I just don't care... I bought a bunch back when it was $5-7.50 a box and stocked up. Just a few weeks ago I found several bricks of Fiocchi for $75.00 each. It probably isn't going to get any cheaper...

Just had a .22 Magnum cylinder fitted to a S&W M63...shoots right to the same POA with both rounds at 15 yards...who can ask for more from a pocket gun...

Bob
Posted By: noKnees Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/24/10
I just wish S&W would make the 317 in 22 mag.

I carried a 22mag single six for years while deer hunting.

I like 22mag for woods pistol. plenty for all small game, It feels like significantly more than 22lr in a pistol to me. I would guess it would be fairly useful if needed against a 2 legged preditor.

Posted By: cra1948 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/24/10
I've always been a big fan of the .22 mag in rifles. It's a whole different story in a handgun. I've got two revolvers, a single six and a Colt NF, with .22 mag cylinders that almost never get used. I don't see a lot of sense in the .22 mag in a handgun length barrel. I would agree with those who say, in a handgun, go right from .22 LR to a small CF.
Posted By: noKnees Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/24/10
The bonus of the 22 mag in the single six is the barrel is the 22 mag dia, so in the couple single sixes I have played with the 22mag was quite a bit more accurate.
Posted By: generalstuart Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/25/10
Hello
I have Two S&W Model 48's. They are both Four Screw versions with my 4" Being a 1960 model and the 6" with Two cylinder's being a First year 1959 Gun. The First year 1959 Gun came as a .22 Magnum but was returned to the factory after 1961 time span to have it fitted for the optional .22 LR cylinder that S&W used to offer for this gun as it has a Left hand thread's on the .22 LR cylinder extractor threads. I find most that talk smack on the .22 W.M.R. round in a Hand gun when it comes right down to it, do not want to pay the difference in price of the ammo compared to the .22 LR ammo prices. I find the .22 Magnum to be more potent and at times actually more accurate than most .22 LR ammo depending on what gun it is fired out of and what ammo is used....TheGeneral.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: TheOldTree Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/25/10
I have the model 51 which is a j frame, nice little gun. I never shoot it.
Posted By: antlers Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/25/10
Those are nice revolvers man. The 4 inch Model 48 is one I'd like to have. I'd also like to find a good 4 inch Model 51.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/25/10
Have several .22 Mag. pistols. Smiths.... Rugers. My go to gun for easy carry while hiking, 4 wheelin' .. berry picking , etc. is my Ruger Bearcat original .22LR / .22 Mag. I like to use the 45 G. old Winchester WRF, what we called the .22 Special.
Very handy little rig in my opinion.

Cisco
Posted By: leomort Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/25/10
From what I read from Sam Fadala is that the .22mag from a hangdun is equivalent to .22lr rifle.

I looked at some current 22mag revolvers and most seem to be as big and heavy as an L-frame revolver, thus my reasoning for skipping the 22mag and going to large cf revolver.
Posted By: justy Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/26/10
22 lr is so mutch better than the 22 mag.If you need more power shoot the stinger.The 22 mag is way, way, way over priced.The 22 lr is the worlds most popular round for a reason.Thx.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/26/10
Leomort,
Who makes a .22LR in a 45G bullet?
Cisco
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22MAG Handguns - 12/26/10
Even if you shoot HV 22 LRs, there is no way for you to get the bullet construction of a 22 MRF in a 22 LR, since nobody loads them.

That is the point of the 22 MRF and, as I have noted numerous times, with a set of Ace Dube's adapters, you can shoot 22 LRs in a 22 MRF revolver or single shot with enough accuracy for casual plinking and practice. From what I've seen over the years, the only way to become a proficient handgun shooter is to shoot them and most people don't shoot them enough because of the cost of the ammo. With a set of Ace's adapters, a person with a 22 MRF revolver can plink away with bulk pack 22 LRs and save the more expensive 22 MRF ammo for serious business. Just like most folks who own 357 Mags shoot more 38 Specials than 357s, particularly those folks with smaller frame revolvers, like the S&W 19 & 66.

www.mcace.com

Jeff
© 24hourcampfire