Home
I'm taking a concealed carry class in Feb and am looking to pick up a .45 for the class.

I'm not looking to spend a pile of cash on a new pistol but want something that's reliable. I can get a new Glock 30 for $489 but not sure that's the best route

Looking for opinions

Kindly depends on what you are generally leaning towards. A plastic gun? There is the Springfield XD, the Taurus and the Smith M&P, all in compact versions. You've also got the SIG. I would personally go with a Colt Commander or one of its clones. I don't think Springfield makes a Commander sized clone. A real Colt gets into the collector's market somewhat, even in the common guns. A quick glance at Gun Broker has most of them upwards of $800. You didn't say what your price range was, but that's getting up there.

Sig 220 Compact or P245
Orrrrrr.....some have toted the HK45 Compact as the finest compact 45 made to date.
I think the most concealable 45 is going to be something like a glock 36. I think Kahr makes one comparable to it also. The only negative IMO about these tiny 45s is ammo capacity at 6+1. The G30 is a fine pistol, might be a little on the fat side for some, but very accurate, reliable, and easy to shoot. A glock 30 slim frame would be my pick if going the glock route. Some put more weight into concealability than shootability, and carry tiny guns, 5 shot 38s ect. These are nice for back up but IMO if I ever NEED a gun and am legally justified to use one, the situation will be real bad, im sure I would want as much gun as I can comfortabliy carry.
I carry a XD compac in a Crossbreed holster. When I got that combo, I stopped looking. It carries 10 rounds in the gun plus 13 in the spare. It is comfortable enough to carry all day. I made a six hour trip to Houston and forgot I was carrying.
This is a bit off topic, so forgive me. Unless you are in a state where your carry permit is tied to a specific gun, why would you want to buy a new gun a couple of weeks before a class? Why not go to the class and see what everyone else is carrying and what the instructors have to say? Going to a class usually involves learning new skills, and doing it with a new gun increases the learning curve. Back on topic, I currently am experimenting with a Smith & Wesson 325 Night Guard revolver.
I pack a Kahr P9 most times. It's my all time favorite carry gun.

The same gun is availble in .45
If I was going to buy a new .45, that's what it would be.

Some times I carry my Kimber 1911 5" Tatical .45
Just depends on "mood" and threat level.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I'm taking a concealed carry class in Feb and am looking to pick up a .45 for the class.

I'm not looking to spend a pile of cash on a new pistol but want something that's reliable. I can get a new Glock 30 for $489 but not sure that's the best route

Looking for opinions

For concealed carry it's hard to beat a Commander pattern 1911. Alternatively, there's the Kahr P-45. Both are very slim and therefor easy to carry IWB and to keep concealed.
I would buy the Glock 30 Sf or a Glock 36. If you buy a glock you will not have to wonder if the magazines will work, if it will feed hollow points or how many parts you will need to change out..... grin The Glock will just work.

Dink
Originally Posted by DINK
I would buy the [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE GUN HERE] or a [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE GUN HERE]. If you buy a [AND HERE] you will not have to wonder if the magazines will work, if it will feed hollow points or how many parts you will need to change out..... grin The [AND HERE] will just work.

Dink

There, I fixed for ya.
I carry the exact same rig as Woodstalker, XD Compact in a crossbreed supertuck.

Looking for opinions

Without knowing your level of experience with carrying, and what thought process caused you to arrive at the main criteria being ".45", I would say a good first step is to figure out the biggest gun you can comfortably conceal, and let that illuminate your choices.
I would buy the Glock 30 Sf or a Glock 36. If you buy a glock you will not have to wonder if the magazines will work, if it will feed hollow points or how many parts you will need to change out..... grin The Glock will just work.

Dink
This is also the case with specific brands of 1911, but unlike "The Glock," "The 1911" doesn't refer to a specific brand. It refers to a design pattern only.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Dink
This is also the case with specific brands of 1911, but unlike "The Glock," "The 1911" doesn't refer to a specific brand. It refers to a design pattern only.

Hawkey it does not matter brand. Any 1911 is rolling the dice if it works or not. Buying a glock is a sure bet that it will work.

Dink
If I insisted on a 45 acp for concealed carry I would probably look at a Kahr PM45.
At least it's small enough and light enough to conceal without feeling like you have a small anvil hanging off your side.
Originally Posted by Texas Hunter
If I insisted on a 45 acp for concealed carry I would probably look at a Kahr PM45.
At least it's small enough and light enough to conceal without feeling like you have a small anvil hanging off your side.

That�s what I thought when I bought my Kahr .45, a very nice pistol. But what I noticed was that the slide was a bit too short, and when tucked in my IWB holster, it wouldn�t get far enough under my belt to �lock� into place. Whenever I sat down, the gun and holster would push up on my belt. When I carried my LW Commander, it locked into place and quite honestly, when paired with a world class holster, was just as comfortable to carry as the Kahr .45. Yet my Commander packed 2 more rounds in the magazine, had a longer sighting radius, and my LW Commander proved to be much more reliable than the Kahr .45, (and much more reliable than a friend�s Glock 36, when I was giving consideration to the G36 � Still, the G-36 was more reliable than the Kahr .45, although the more you shot it, the more reliable the Kahr was getting ).

Looking for opinions

Honestly, for the money a Glock is hard to beat. When I considered a G36 and took one for a test drive, I found it just didn�t compare to my LW Commander in reliability, accuracy, and comfort while carrying. Now keep in mind, I carry exclusively IWB, so someone carrying the G36 in a pancake holster may come to a much different conclusion on the comfort question.

But also consider that my LW Commander (a S&W M1911 PD) is nearly twice the price as the Glock. I don�t know about others, but I experienced FTF issues with the G36 when I test drove it, as did the owner of the pistol. I have since tried another G36 (a gun I REALLY want to like), and experienced the same. I attributed it to �limp wristing� of the pistol because I try to be very relaxed when I shoot, but even when I locked out in a tight isosceles stance still had issues (although less). So while the G36 may be a good or even great gun, it clearly wasn�t the gun for me. I don�t recall ever shooting the G30.

FOR ME, I have found the LW Commander (either Colt�s or S&W) to be the carry .45. It�s slimmer than most any other .45 (as slim as a Kahr .45 or Glock 36), very light weight for a .45 caliber full sized pistols at 27oz, and as made by Colt�s or S&W, an extremely reliable pistol.

I have sworn off sub-compact pistols for carry unless they fit into my pocket. If a gun has to be carried in a holster, then you might as well carry a full sized pistol because it takes just as much to conceal a sub-compact as it does to conceal a full sized pistol (especially if we�re talking IWB holsers), and often you�ll find that a full sized pistol can carry better provided it�s not too heavy.

And when it all goes bad, you�ll handle and shoot a full sized pistol much better; so with all that in mind, the LW Commander just makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I really like the �compact� Glocks such as the G19 & 23. That size is very light weight, has proven to be very reliable, yet still close enough to a full sized gun that most can shoot them very well. While I�m not a big fan of the .45 GAP (because I find it the answer to a question never asked), it is a good and capable cartridge, and Glock makes a �compact� pistol in .45 GAP in the model 38.

The Glocks are great pistols for what you pay, and if money is tight, the Glock is a solid choice. But if you can afford a Colt�s or S&W LW Commander, I think you�ll find them about perfect; I did. My motto has always been �Give me a LW Commander and a Smith J frame and I�m good to go�
Hawkey it does not matter brand. Any 1911 is rolling the dice if it works or not. Buying a glock is a sure bet that it will work.

Dink
What a crock of chit.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Dink
What a crock of chit.

I second the motion!! Dink you and Jeff O must be room mates to make a meat stick remark like that about a weapon you apparently know nothin about....FYI

I sold guns for three years after getting out of the AF and next to Mod 29 Smiths the Commander was second overall..we couldn't keep em in stock..NEVER had issues or any returned,they carry nice in leather and never cared what they were fed..
I have sworn off sub-compact pistols for carry unless they fit into my pocket. If a gun has to be carried in a holster, then you might as well carry a full sized pistol because it takes just as much to conceal a sub-compact as it does to conceal a full sized pistol (especially if we�re talking IWB holsers), and often you�ll find that a full sized pistol can carry better provided it�s not too heavy.

And when it all goes bad, you�ll handle and shoot a full sized pistol much better; so with all that in mind, the LW Commander just makes a whole lot of sense to me.
+1

+1

This is the type of insight I was looking for, thanks guys!
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
why would you want to buy a new gun a couple of weeks before a class?

Why not? My 500 Linebaugh is too big for concealed carry so I'm looking for opinions so I can go and shoot a few different pistols before the class

+1

I carry a full sized 1911 in 45 ACP as good as it gets IMHO
Kevin,
How many different pistols have the reputation for not functioning when firing with a limp wrist? Is it only Glocks?
That would be one point in favor of the J frame IMHO.
whelennut
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Dink
What a crock of chit.

I second the motion!! Dink you and Jeff O must be room mates to make a meat stick remark like that about a weapon you apparently know nothin about....FYI

I sold guns for three years after getting out of the AF and next to Mod 29 Smiths the Commander was second overall..we couldn't keep em in stock..NEVER had issues or any returned,they carry nice in leather and never cared what they were fed..

All one has to do is read the threads here. One poster has a new $1000 Kimber that won't run hardball. Read MOGC post about his 1911 starting to break parts at 770 rounds. There are post after post about a finicky 1911's. There not finicky they do not work.

Every pistol guy likes the 1911, even me,but the hard true facts are alot of them will work with nothing but hardball and even then will have malufunctions.

The OP stated that this gun was for CCW. I doubt he wants to go through three,four or five 1911's before he finds one that will work. If you want a pistol to work out of the box all the time bet on the glock. Sure there could be a bad glock but the chances of getting one are much lower.

Dink
Para makes a real nice small frame.45. I personally carry a Kimber Covert .45 and love it!
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Dink
What a crock of chit.

All one has to do is read the threads here. One poster has a new $1000 Kimber that won't run hardball. Read MOGC post about his 1911 starting to break parts at 770 rounds. There are post after post about a finicky 1911's. There not finicky they do not work.

Every pistol guy likes the 1911, even me,but the hard true facts are alot of them will work with nothing but hardball and even then will have malufunctions.

The OP stated that this gun was for CCW. I doubt he wants to go through three,four or five 1911's before he finds one that will work. If you want a pistol to work out of the box all the time bet on the glock. Sure there could be a bad glock but the chances of getting one are much lower.

Dink

Has anyone ever had a revolver that doesnt't work?
The more of this I read the more I like J frames!
Originally Posted by whelennut
The more of this I read the more I like J frames!
Sure. Lots of them. Bought my mother a lightweight J-Frame .38. Brand new, out of the box, it would lock up in double action fire. Sent it back. They fixed it, and I sold it and gave her a J-Frame that I had already had for years and knew worked right. I've had many revolver failures of one sort or another at the range that would have gotten me killed in a gunfight, most from major manufacturers like S&W, Colt, and Ruger. That said, just like with an auto, if you have one that's been working smoothly for a while, it's one you can generally count on. No matter the model, you need to work it out to make sure you can rely on it.

+1

I've found that I've quit carrying a Commander length bobtailed Dan Wesson in either a Sparks SS or Crossbreed Supertuck and have gone to a Colt Defender in the Crossbreed. While I agree that the full sized grip is easier to shoot I find the extra inch of slide digs into my fat butt/hip while sitting at a computer. Since my day is 95% spent sitting at a desk, I've gone with the shorter length. I know that it doesn't seem logical that +/- 1" would be felt, but in my case, it's noticable. Granted, I've become gravity enhanced in the past few sedentary years--younger, more athletic guys like Kevin and Real Hawkeye possibly wouldn't feel it, but my chubby little butt/hip does. BTW I've found my Defender to be quite reliable as compared to the old Officers model that I had and got rid of.

Originally Posted by whelenut

I've got a Colt Agent that's unpredictable whether the gun's going to go off. I won it at the first US IPSC Indoor Championship and it sat in my safe unfired for 20 years. Finally took it to the range and it doesn't provide consistent ignition. I've since been told that it wasn't unusual for that model.

Also had a nib Ruger Vaquero that would fire--at all.

Sometimes people will lighten the mainspring in order to get a smoother trigger pull. It does make for a lighter trigger but not a good idea on a self preservation gun IMO.
Kevin,
How many different pistols have the reputation for not functioning when firing with a limp wrist? Is it only Glocks?

First, I�m not saying it was definitively a limp wrist issue, because quite frankly I just didn�t take the time to diagnose the problem; I was just test driving.

The Glock (and other polymer frame pistols) have somewhat of a reputation for being susceptible to �limp wristing� because the frame is extremely light in weight, and offers almost no resistance to the slide. On the larger Glocks, if you hold well, you won�t have any problems, and I�ve had few problems with other Glocks.

It�s all about finding that �sweet spot� that works for you. For me it�s the LW Commander, but there are some who have limp wristing issues with a LW 1911 and have to have the all steel version. All depends on how you hold the gun, your build, etc.

That would be one point in favor of the J frame IMHO.
whelennut

I have just two types of carry guns, the holster gun and the pocket gun. A J frame falls into the category of the pocket gun, and there are few better pocket guns than a lightweight J frame revolver.
Originally Posted by warpig602
Orrrrrr.....some have toted the HK45 Compact as the finest compact 45 made to date.

Nailed it.

Although I have lusted after an Ed Brown Kobra Carry for a while....

Dink

What about all the threads on many other forums of all the various Glocks that are having functioning problems?

Allow me to point something out genius. How often do people post a thread about their gun working perfectly? People mention that in threads, but I�ve never seen a thread that�s just about someone�s gun working perfectly. If we did such a thing, I�m sure you�d see a ton of responses of perfectly working 1911�s.

But people who are experiencing problems will post a thread looking for help. And another something your pea brain can�t seem to get around. The ratio of 1911�s in America to Glock is about 10 to 1, so by sheer numbers, you�re going to have more problems with 1911�s because there are a ton more of them out there...this is America after all.

It�s the same story with Glock in law enforcement service. You see a LOT more issues reported about Glock�s in LE service than most any other pistol; that�s because Glock has such a large share of the LE market. That�s where you completely lack integrity; you�ll recognize this as being legitimate for the Glock, but you won�t give any other pistol the benefit of the doubt.

Again, you just don�t know what the hell you�re talking about.
The Glock may be good for you if it fits your hand. You should be aware that the .45acp Glocks have a bigger grip than the 9mm and .40S&W Glocks.

Kevin mentioned the little Kahr .45, but I think he overlooked the TP45 Kahr, which is closer to "Commander size" and also holds 7 rounds. If the Glock doesn't fit your hand and you aren't interested in a 1911 pattern, the Kahr deserves a look.

There are undoubtedly other good choices, but those are the ones I would trust the most.

Dink

What about all the threads on many other forums of all the various Glocks that are having functioning problems?

Allow me to point something out genius. How often do people post a thread about their gun working perfectly? People mention that in threads, but I�ve never seen a thread that�s just about someone�s gun working perfectly. If we did such a thing, I�m sure you�d see a ton of responses of perfectly working 1911�s.

But people who are experiencing problems will post a thread looking for help. And another something your pea brain can�t seem to get around. The ratio of 1911�s in America to Glock is about 10 to 1, so by sheer numbers, you�re going to have more problems with 1911�s because there are a ton more of them out there...this is America after all.

It�s the same story with Glock in law enforcement service. You see a LOT more issues reported about Glock�s in LE service than most any other pistol; that�s because Glock has such a large share of the LE market. That�s where you completely lack integrity; you�ll recognize this as being legitimate for the Glock, but you won�t give any other pistol the benefit of the doubt.

Take the post from the last 6 months just on this site. Other than your Glock 36 that did not run and you said it could have been because of your girly hands not being strong enough to hold onto it I only remember one other post other post about a new glock 19 having problems. Now there could have been more but those are the only two I remember.

How many 1911 post have there been about guns not running...hmmm.

There is no way on gods green earth that there are 10 1911's being used/carried to every glock. There might be 10 1911's produced to every glock produced but alot of those 1911's are being collected and not shot or carried.

Kevin I kinda thought you were a gunman but I can tell your really just stupid. I think a pistol with out a manuel safe on it scares the chit out of you and you are jealous of guys that it does not scare.

Dink

Dink

Take the post from the last 6 months just on this site. Other than your Glock 36 that did not run and you said it could have been because of your girly hands not being strong enough to hold onto it I only remember one other post other post about a new glock 19 having problems. Now there could have been more but those are the only two I remember.

There is no way on gods green earth that there are 10 1911's being used/carried to every glock. There might be 10 1911's produced to every glock produced but alot of those 1911's are being collected and not shot or carried.

Kevin I kinda thought you were a gunman but I can tell your really just stupid. I think a pistol with out a manuel safe on it scares the chit out of you and you are jealous of guys that it does not scare.

Dink

You're an idiot; I'm done with you.
Most 1911's these days are good to go out of the box, not the case 25 years ago. I have seen Glocks with problems, especially if they were using handloads. All guns can have hiccups, get them fixed and go on.

Dink

Dink

I think the man with the girly hands needs a hanky.

The funny thing is I can just picture you stomping away from the computer whinning "I am done with"..."I am done with you"..."why won't he listen to me. I am a gun writing expert"......laffin.

Dink
[/quote]

Sounds about right to me.
There are post after post about a finicky 1911's. There not finicky they do not work.

FWIW there are multiple posts about how Kimber Montanas don't shoot worth a schit as well. The fact is that "most" Montana owners feel no need to post due to their rifles functioning flawlessly. The same is most likely true of the 1911. "Most" of us carry/shoot them with no issues and continue with life.

It's no secret that I detest Glocks for their ergos and won't carry one for just that reason. To imply that picking up a 1911 is a roll of the dice while a Glock is a sure thing is just wrong.

Hell, I would take back my old Sig220 any day before a Glock. That Sig was long ago replaced by a 1911 for carry purposes, though.

George
Don't even want to fathom how many rounds the 1911 I carry has had through it; the two previous owners were/are known to shoot the dog piss out of stuff, and I sure haven't baby'd it since.

Never a hiccup.

Of course, my Glock(s) don't falter, either.

Might just be because I have half-a-fuggin' clue, and don't screw w/stuff that's proven to work.

Ain't directed at anyone in particular, but if you're getting azz raw over it, there might be a reason why.
My carry gun is my Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless .45, with an extra mag. Never felt the need for less.
Originally Posted by NH K9
There are post after post about a finicky 1911's. There not finicky they do not work.

FWIW there are multiple posts about how Kimber Montanas don't shoot worth a schit as well. The fact is that "most" Montana owners feel no need to post due to their rifles functioning flawlessly. The same is most likely true of the 1911. "Most" of us carry/shoot them with no issues and continue with life.

It's no secret that I detest Glocks for their ergos and won't carry one for just that reason. To imply that picking up a 1911 is a roll of the dice while a Glock is a sure thing is just wrong.

Hell, I would take back my old Sig220 any day before a Glock. That Sig was long ago replaced by a 1911 for carry purposes, though.

George

If you needed a production gun to shoot less than a inch and could only buy one rifle would you buy the Montana? I really want a Montana but will not take the chance on it not shooting.

I never said that the glock was a sure thing but I think there is lot less of a chance of buying one of them and it being a jam-o-matic than any 1911.

Dink
Best .45 for concealed carry?

Kind of depends on whether you like a single action or some kind of a DA or striker type of pistol.

My preference is for the 1911 single action type & in those, any of the alloy frame sized Commander models are great.

If you want to go smaller, you can drop down to the CCO size or even further down to the 3" barreled version such as the Colt Defender or the Kimber Ultras.

Or if you can handle the full sized Gov't models, they carry quite well for many & there is a decent selection of alloy framed full size models available today as well.

I like the lightweight Commander & COO sizes for everyday carry as the weight makes them easier to carry all day.

In the right holster & depending on your body type, all can be concealed well.

MM

I never said that the glock was a sure thing but I think there is lot less of a chance of buying one of them and it being a jam-o-matic than any 1911.

Dink
Not if you compare apples to apples. For example, compare a hundred randomly selected S&W 1911s with a hundred randomly selected Glocks. In that case, their reliability out of the box, using the mags that came in the box, would likely be so little different as to be statistically insignificant, and no telling which would come out technically ahead. Of course, in shooting ability, the 1911 will blow the Glock away. No contest.
The Colt Defender is a good bet. I was pleased with mine, although it was a bit fussy about which ammo it liked. With good ammo, Federal HS, it was 100%. Others report good results with theirs.

If you can find one, a Colt CCO is worth a look - it had the long Commander slide, on an Officers frame. You gain the reduced print of the smaller frame, the reliability and sight radius of the Commander.

Dink
Not if you compare apples to apples. For example, compare a hundred randomly selected S&W 1911s with a hundred randomly selected Glocks. In that case, their reliability out of the box, using the mags that came in the box, would likely be so little different as to be statistically insignificant, and no telling which would come out technically ahead. Of course, in shooting ability, the 1911 will blow the Glock away. No contest.

Thought you had that dipschit on ignore..........

Why waste bandwidth?

MM
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by warpig602

Nailed it.

Can't speak to that model, but my H&K P2000 in 40 S&W has functioned flawlessly since day one. I've actually tried to make it jam with weird hand holds -- it goes bang every time. H&K has really impressed me.

Having said that, I've had no issues with my Kimber Eclipse II .45, but that's a full-size and not for carry. For carry, I go the other way with a Kahr MK9 Elite or S&W 642.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Dink

Thought you had that dipschit on ignore..........

Why waste bandwidth?

MM
You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now, wouldn't you?
If you needed a production gun to shoot less than a inch and could only buy one rifle would you buy the Montana?

I would, without hesitation. Honestly, if someone survived an excurstion into my house and stole all my hunting rifles I would take the insurance check and buy either a Montana in .308 or, most likely, order an 84L in '06 and be done. I'd scope it and put the rest of the money towards hunts.

I think there is lot less of a chance of buying one of them and it being a jam-o-matic than any 1911.

I wouldn't have any heartburn dropping my cash on most production 1911s that are around. Likewise, if I could stand Glocks, it wouldn't bother me to grab one and run with it. I wouldn't trust my life to any gun until I put it through its paces.

I have/had 1911s from Kimber and Smith with no problems. I didn't carry them until cases of ammo were run through without a hiccup.

George
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Nailed it.

I've been pretty happy with my Kobra Carry over the past ten years or so, although I must admit that it came to me from Mr. Brown with a badly tuned extractor which caused unreliability and eventual breakage. I don't care for his customer service, either, and I'll leave that alone for now. After the extractor hook broke off I replaced it on my own, learning the technique of extractor tuning on my own from various sources. After that, it's been 100% reliable with whatever I've fed it, so I must have learned well.

[Linked Image]
If you bobbed the hammer off that wheelgun (yeah, I know it's a classic and that would be a sin but I'm a practical kind of guy) that would be the perfect combo.

Damn close to my setup, though my revolver is stainless with no hammer and I'm not classy enough to have a Kobra.

George
Originally Posted by NH K9
If you bobbed the hammer off that wheelgun (yeah, I know it's a classic and that would be a sin but I'm a practical kind of guy) that would be the perfect combo.

Damn close to my setup, though my revolver is stainless with no hammer and I'm not classy enough to have a Kobra.

George
I know what you mean about the hammer spur, George. I was very close to sending it to TLee for removal once (he was nice enough to offer to do it for free, if I recall correctly), but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
I was very close to sending it to TLee for removal once (he was nice enough to offer to do it for free, if I recall correctly), but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Get a spare hammer and chop that one, put away the original.
Originally Posted by RufusG
I was very close to sending it to TLee for removal once (he was nice enough to offer to do it for free, if I recall correctly), but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Get a spare hammer and chop that one, put away the original.
That's a thought.

Dink

Apples to apples where are you buying $500 S&W 1911's?

I would like to see a test like this done. I don't know what the out come would be but if I had to bet I would still bet on the glock.

Will you tell your cuddle buddy something for me. The nice 20 gauge double that he posted for sale a week or so ago. One of the attorney's I know well is a bird hunter. He likes really nice double shotguns and was interested in the nice double that was for sale but since I was on ignore I was unable to send him a pm stating the attorney wanted to buy it.

Dink
Posted By: dla Re: Best .45 for concealed carry? - 01/29/11
Glock 30 is not a bad .45acp, if it feels comfy to you.

I went through the "choose a .45acp for CCW" many years ago and ended up with an SS Kimber Pro Carry. I found the alloy frame, 4" barrel 1911 easy to shoot, reliable, and very comfy to carry IWB.

I also used to IWB carry a Glock 19, which is overall lighter, but bulkier and therefore less comfortable. The G30 is bulkier still.
I am going to try and get this thread back on topic.
I carried various Colt 1911 models for the last 30 years. Started with the Government Model then to the Commander, finally down to the Officers Model. In all those years of having several I never had a single malfunction of any type.
I even tried a couple of different Glock's but could never get warmed up to them and their "blockiness". Good guns and I have had no issues but I never could understand why some people are so damned "it's the greatest gun on earth" mentality and defend them with the most idiotic and constant acolades. It is a mechanical device designed to fire a round of ammo just like every other firearm out there.
Having said that I currently carry a Kahr PM45. It is the most comfortable gun I have ever carried. Light, compact, accurate, and dependable. The reason for the gradual change in carry guns is the need for something lighter as the years passed on and since I travel to different climates it seemed sensible to get something easily carried while in summer attire also.
I really came to enjoy the Kahr and have since purchased a couple of PM9's also.

Maybe what you might want to do is try and get to a gunshow or visit several shops and get a "feel" for the different guns you have in mind. You'll know when that certain gun just seems to "fit". Not everyone is the same and "fit and feel" will make the gun shoot much better for you than one that just doesn't feel right.
Good Luck
WW
Kahr CW45 for me.
Originally Posted by WWhunter
Kahr PM45. It is the most comfortable gun I have ever carried
WWhunter - I did one of the first US reviews of the Kahr P45 and I was absolutely awed by the ergonomics of the gun, which were truely outstanding. And I loved how slim and compact it was; I ended up buying the one I tested, it was a very nice pistol. I carried it for several months before I came to the realization my LW Commander packed a little better FOR ME. But I can certainly see how you fell in love with the Kahr .45, it REALLY feels good in the hand, to the point that very few pistols in the world feel nearly as good, and almost none better. Good choice, nice pistol.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_184_30/ai_n16741473/
[quote=WWhunter] ... I carried it for several months before I came to the realization my LW Commander packed a little better FOR ME...

Kevin, elaborate on this a little more if you would. What or how do you mean? I guess, specifically what did you like/dislike--thanks.
Originally Posted by gmoats
... I carried it for several months before I came to the realization my LW Commander packed a little better FOR ME...

Kevin, elaborate on this a little more if you would. What or how do you mean? I guess, specifically what did you like/dislike--thanks.
He's likely referring to the fact that the 1911 is very flat and slim, so it tends to hug up to you, and feels comfortable. Additionally, many think the Commander is the best compromise in size for the 1911, having none of the drawbacks of the chopped down ones or the full length ones.
Looks like this thread is running its course, but I'll chip in. I carried a full size EAA .45 with a barrel comp. Great shooter, heavy on the belt and I'm 6'6". My experience carrying full size guns on the hip is that the barrel pinches the skin on my hip too many times when carrying IWB. Been carrying a Detonics Combatmaster for several years now mostly IWB in a Tucker Leather holster. Works great, worth not having a full grip to easily conceal it while wearing dress slacks and shirt with no jacket. Looks to me like the Crossbreed holster would be even better.

Commander size fits the bill as a great all around 1911 IMO. Would be hard to beat one in a Crossbreed.

Have shot the XD, Glock and M&P. Haven't carried them, but all seem slim enough and you can make a flavor that fits you with all of them.

FYI a guy sells a $20 belt on ebay that has an extra loop sewn in on the hip and i have found it to be really pratical, is secure, extremely comfortable and easy to conceal.

www.summitgunbroker.com has some deals from time to time.
The best .45 for concealed carry, in my every so humble opinion, is my new Wilson Combat CQB Compact. I sunk a pile of bucks into it, so maybe, just maybe, I am biased. smile
Leather of course, by Sam Andrews.
[Linked Image]

Apples to apples where are you buying $500 S&W 1911's?

Hmf. Thought we were talking about "best" - not "best for $500". I must've missed that in the title...

Should be evident that the consensus is there is no best - only good and not good.
[quote=WWhunter] ... I carried it for several months before I came to the realization my LW Commander packed a little better FOR ME...

I think I mentioned it before, but maybe that was another thread. The shorter slide of the Kahr tended to push he Kahr up from my beltline when sitting. It just felt like it wanted to come out of the holster. When carrying the LW Commander, which isn�t a while lot heavier, the slide was long enough that it kinda locked under the belt, and stayed put very well. When I carried the Kahr, I was constantly pushing down on the butt of the gun to make sure it was securely in the holster. When I carry the LW Commander, there�s none of that, it just rides where it�s supposed to.

Oh, I should mention that I only carry IWB; you could have very different results carrying OWB.
Posted By: JOG Re: Best .45 for concealed carry? - 01/30/11
The shorter slide of the Kahr tended to push he Kahr up from my beltline when sitting.

You once described it as the handgun "squirting" up over the beltline and that little light bulb went off in my head. I thought yeah, I hate when that happens. That definitely reshuffled my approach to concealment.

I carry a full sized 1911 daily without a hitch. Nothing better IMHO
Originally Posted by jwp475

I carry a full sized 1911 daily without a hitch. Nothing better IMHO
I've done that regularly for many a year. I switch to others, from time to time, but that's the one I always seem to come back to. I stopped last summer because I was developing a chronic skin irritation along my belt line, so switched to something lighter that I like nearly as well, i.e., a Kahr P9. Will likely go back to the 1911, either the Government Model or Combat Commander pattern, at some point again.
Does it feel natural and do you shoot it well ? Does it carry well and does it hide well on you ? Those are the questions you need to answer when it comes to a CCW pistol.
I don't like fat grip pistols because they don't hide well, even when carried IWB w/o a holster on me.
I can shoot a 3 inch, 1911 .45 alot better than I ever thought I would, but, like Kevin, they don't have enough slide to keep them where they need to stay if I'm moving fast.
Unlike some, I find the weight of a full size, steel 1911 isn't that bad and mighty nice to have if I really need to use the gun. Still, if I were buying one just for CCW use, it would probably be a Smith, or a Colt Alloy frame 4 1/4 barrel gun.
I can't tell you what to buy. So you need to ask and answer the above question for yourself. BTW, it has taken me a long time and several guns to get where I am now. Don't plan on picking one gun and being completely satisfied forever. Probably won't happen. E
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I find the weight of a full size, steel 1911 isn't that bad and mighty nice to have if I really need to use the gun.
We carry a gun because it's COMFORTING not becaue it's comfortable.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I find the weight of a full size, steel 1911 isn't that bad and mighty nice to have if I really need to use the gun.
We carry a gun because it's COMFORTING not becaue it's comfortable.
There you go. A famous student of Jeff Cooper's said that. Runs his own school now. Thunder Ranch.
Just go get you a HK compact and thank me latter....
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
Just go get you a HK compact and thank me latter....
I have the H&K USP-45.

Looking for opinions

I think you choice of the G30 for a CWP would be a good one. If 45 ACP is your caliber of choice you might also look into a G36. It is a slimmer package and a little easier to get a hand around and conceal but you give up some ammo capacity. You can't go wrong with either one.

...The shorter slide of the Kahr tended to push he Kahr up from my beltline when sitting. It just felt like it wanted to come out of the holster...When I carried the Kahr, I was constantly pushing down on the butt of the gun to make sure it was securely in the holster...

That makes sense. That's the price you pay for being in good shape and having a trim waist line.

One of the perks that I've found of "gravity enhancement" is that the muffin top pushes down on the grip of the handgun while the "buffalo butt" simultaneously pushes up on the muzzle. The trick is getting an equilibrium of force! grin
Drummond
If you want a 1911 I would personally go for the STI guardian or the Shadow, the later being the more expensive of the two. I would not go with Kimber, had one and it was a POS, had to send it back to them twice with different issues and the finish out on it was crap, STI is a better product especially for the money. Some have mentioned the HK 45 compact which is a great gun, but it is also considerably more than a Glock. Glocks are ugly but they just flat out work and are pretty damn accurate for what they are. I have a Glock 20 that right out of the box out shot my full custom 6" longslide Nighthawk. Sold the Nighthawk and kept the Glock. You also can't hurt a Glock. But they are ugly and you either love em or hate em based on the grip and the grip angle.
Anyway hope this helps.
Danny
If you can go to a range that will rent guns and shoot as many as you can to see which one feels the best and you are the most comfortable with.
...The shorter slide of the Kahr tended to push he Kahr up from my beltline when sitting. It just felt like it wanted to come out of the holster...When I carried the Kahr, I was constantly pushing down on the butt of the gun to make sure it was securely in the holster...

That makes sense. That's the price you pay for being in good shape and having a trim waist line.

One of the perks that I've found of "gravity enhancement" is that the muffin top pushes down on the grip of the handgun while the "buffalo butt" simultaneously pushes up on the muzzle. The trick is getting an equilibrium of force! grin
I'm not in "that" good of shape. I have a little roll around the middle I refer to as my "Beer Sculpture".
Sounds like a lot of limp wristing in this thread ? IMHO
I have and like my Glock 30 just fine, its accurate, dependable, and the price was right. There is nothing really wrong with it, but i dont carry it much because #1 its short barrel makes it sketchy IMHO to carry IWB which is what i prefer, and #2 its wider then i like.

My preference is the 1911 as i have several that are carried often. My all time favorite is my Les Baer Commanche Monolith, it isnt light being an all steel commander length with full length dust cover.

It is anything but cheap, but is accurate as all get out having the 1.5" guarantee at 50 yds, which it readily beats with Speer Gold Dot 200gr +p's or 230 gr hornady TAP from a ranson rest.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I have and like my Glock 30 just fine, its accurate, dependable, and the price was right. There is nothing really wrong with it, but i dont carry it much because #1 its short barrel makes it sketchy IMHO to carry IWB which is what i prefer, and #2 its wider then i like.

My preference is the 1911 as i have several that are carried often. My all time favorite is my Les Baer Commanche Monolith, it isnt light being an all steel commander length with full length dust cover.

It is anything but cheap, but is accurate as all get out having the 1.5" guarantee at 50 yds, which it readily beats with Speer Gold Dot 200gr +p's or 230 gr hornady TAP from a ranson rest.
When the Commanche first came out, I thought it was awesome looking. Still do.
TRH

It has never bothered me to IWB a full size 1911 in my Milt Sparks Versa Max, and my Commanche weighs about what my Springer TRP tactical does so its a no brainer for me, but I use a C5 leather Montana XLT for the Commanche.

I had to order full custom leather for it as i ordered the gun with the Trijicon adjustables which unknowingly got me a .330 front sight height.

I actually prefer the extra weight when shooting and with a good holster and belt i forget the gun is there.

I figure you only live once, so this is my "splurge"of a carry gun. The Girlfriend really liked it as well but has her beloved Springer Mil-spec doublestack

gotta love a 5'2" 115# blond with ample "attributes" that IWB's a 1911....
Originally Posted by 6.5whitetail
Sounds like a lot of limp wristing in this thread ? IMHO

If you're refering to my experience with the G36 when I was test driving it. I generally assume if something's wrong, it's me. But I did lock it down rather tight, and although it did shoot a little better, I still had issues; so I'm confident the problem wasn't limp wristing.

When you make an auto pistol that small, it's hard to make them work perfectly. Still, I never took the time to figure out what was wrong; could have just been a bad magazine which is a very simple fix.
...gotta love a 5'2" 115# blond with ample "attributes" that IWB's a 1911....

Obviously this thread needs pictures!! grin
1.5" guarantee at 50 yds,
Are you sure that's not 25 yards? At 50 yards that's a full on Bullseye gun.
1.5" guarantee at 50 yds,
Are you sure that's not 25 yards? At 50 yards that's a full on Bullseye gun.

From Less Baer's web site

Note: Customers can request a "1-1/2� groups at 50 yds.� guarantee on many 5� and 6� steel pistols. This service is available only on Les Baer Pistols. Add... $ 295.00

http://www.lesbaer.com/prices.html

Ain't no Glock going to do that

WOW, that's extraordinary! When you get good enough to push the limits of such a pistol, it's awesome to have a gun that really does shoot that well.

I really don�t have guns that shoot that well, mostly because I can�t afford them; and at the end of the day, don�t need them. I thought my K-22 was a really good shooter because I could turn in some tight groups. But then a friend brought over his rather old S&W 46, and the first time I put it in my hands, I immediately cut my K-22 groups in half! Oh, that hurt, because #1 I think so highly of my K-22. #2 because I can�t afford a S&W 41, and can�t find a S&W 46.

It is 1.5" @ 50yds and will make it with both of the above loads. It appears per the link above this is only an option on 5" and 6" guns now, but back when I ordered mine in May of 08' it apparently wasn't.

I shoot it very well, but in no way am I capable of 1.5" at 50 yds with it. Have only seen it via the test target and the one time it was in a ransom rest a local gunamith had at the range. The gunsmith was impressed as well.

As to a bullseye gun, I'm not nearly that good to produce constant competitive groups, but it has won me plenty of money at pin shoots.

I'm far from an expert but my understanding is that for all intense purposes, the Monolith Comanche is in fact built as a match gun in a carry package. I probably have close to 2k rds through the gun now and still can not get the bushing loose without a wrench, and still have to lightly tap the bushing out of the slide using the barrel per the instructions with the gun
I have handled quite a few pistols this week and have it narrowed down to a couple pistols. Here are the pistols and links to what they look like on Gun Broker. These are not the actual pistols I am looking to buy, the pistols I am looking at are local

H&K USP Compact .40 lightly used for $599
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214482068
or
Sig Sauer P220 Elite .45 with wood grips for $899
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214458025

The H&K is more compact and it had a longer magazine so it fit my hand good for being a compact pistol.

The Sig Sauer is just SWEET! I love the look and the feel. Its not as compact and its heavier that the H&K but its a beautiful pistol! I really like the wood grips.

I am 6'4" and weigh about 245lbs so I think it would be easier for me to conceal a larger pistol. What do you guys think of these choices.

Thanks for all of the opinions and help, I appreciate it

I'd go with the USP. Only drawback, as I remember, to the USP is the need to regularly change a buffer which, I assume, must be ordered from H&K. I have the full sized USP-45, and it requires no buffer.
Kimber Ultra Carry is your answer!
[Linked Image]
I owned Convience stores for years, carried a pistol every day.

Having spent a small fortune on carry guns, I have tried to "live" with a gun day in and day out while working at the same time.

I really wonder how many of you guys that say you "carry" these large auto's ever "carry" at all.

A "working" man that tried to "carry" his large auto, will leave the darn thing at home more than he would like to admit...a trip to the grocery store or gas station is another matter.
I cannot speak for anyone else, but from the time I get dressed in the morning until I climb into bed at night, I have my ccw on me 100% of the time unless in a place where I am not legally allowed to carry. If Im wearing pants its a commander length 1911 over 95% of the time, otherwise its my customized Browning HP. In shorts its a j-Frame .38 or the keltec .380.

Again can't speak for anyone else but I ccw wherever allowed and often avoid places I cant
Originally Posted by keith
I owned Convience stores for years, carried a pistol every day.

Having spent a small fortune on carry guns, I have tried to "live" with a gun day in and day out while working at the same time.

I really wonder how many of you guys that say you "carry" these large auto's ever "carry" at all.

A "working" man that tried to "carry" his large auto, will leave the darn thing at home more than he would like to admit...a trip to the grocery store or gas station is another matter.

Because I go to many can carry / can't carry locations during my week day, I usually carry my J frame Smith. But on the weekend, if I'm going to somewhere where I can carry, I'll be found with a LW Commander on; doesn't bother me a bit...Actually, a bit comforting.

Still, my weekends are usually spent at sporting events, and Arkansas has a law against carrying at a sporting event, so it's J frame in the car, and in my pocket when I'm in a location where it's legal.
...If Im wearing pants its a commander length 1911 over 95% of the time, otherwise its my customized Browning HP. In shorts its a j-Frame .38 or the keltec .380.

I think you and I would get along very well; very good choices.
I guess I'm just plain old school. I prefer what has worked well for me for a good number of decades and that's a 1911. And I also am one who looks askance at ever decreasing slide/barrel length packages knowing their travel and reliability become more problematic requiring enhanced 'smithing and design work. Given all that I vote for nothing shorter than the classic commander length of 4.25". I've carried commanders, even the newer bobbed ones, as a CCW weapon but honestly, nothing has proved better than the CCO which mates a lightweight T7075 alloy rounded heel officer's frame and a commander slide with ramped barrel. Here's my Dan Wesson CCOs smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bald1,

Very nice arsenal in the pic thread & a nice pair oc DW CCO's above.

That may just be my next 1911 as I'm having trouble bringing myself to buy a non-bushing version.

Are you pleased with DW's overall quality? Maybe a redundant question given the number you've shown.

MM
MM,

A friend (retired USAF CMSgt) who works at a local gun store first turned me on to them. He owned a 10mm Dan at the time. That prompted me to do some additional research. They rarely got any in locally so I ended up getting my first DW, a CBOB, online. I was blown away and ended up with 4 in the space of 16 months. I've handled and shot the big names (as well as lusted at the full house customs like Heirloom Precision, Chuck Rogers, etc.) but for the money I couldn't do better than these. Bottom line is I believe they are well worth serious consideration for anyone in the market for a quality production 1911. Keith Lawton, DW's Production Manager, oversees their QC and CS. I've never had any issues at all, but I know he's there for me if I ever need him. They only make about 3500 pieces a year so it usually takes an effort to locate 'em. (PM me if you're having problems and I'll share who has treated me very well).

Originally Posted by Bald1
I guess I'm just plain old school. I prefer what has worked well for me for a good number of decades and that's a 1911. And I also am one who looks askance at ever decreasing slide/barrel length packages knowing their travel and reliability become more problematic requiring enhanced 'smithing and design work. Given all that I vote for nothing shorter than the classic commander length of 4.25". I've carried commanders, even the newer bobbed ones, as a CCW weapon but honestly, nothing has proved better than the CCO which mates a lightweight T7075 alloy rounded heel officer's frame and a commander slide with ramped barrel. Here's my Dan Wesson CCOs smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better send those right out to a smith and get some forward slide serrations put on them things. grin
Kevin
Given your choice of firearms, the fact that I agree with the majority of your posts and that we share an employer (my current, your past) I'm sure we would get along just fine sir.
A thought that bears consideration:

When asking for a recommendation on a particular subject, I would be cognizant of whom I was asking.

If I was in the market for a 1 ton crew cab truck to haul a three horse slant horse trailer, I would not ask an 18 year old kid who has had a driver's license for only 3 years.

In regards to this subject:

I would seek out those who carry a gun professionally. Maybe talk to the local swat guys and see what their opinion is and what they carry to protect themselves and their family off duty.

FWIW, and this is just my own opinion, if you insist on a .45, a Glock 30 or a Lightweight Commander would be just fine.

Good luck in your class.

Choose your instructor wisely!

Like Kevin said, concealing a FS 1911 is really no more difficult than concealing a "compact" 1911. However, if I have to conceal a small gun, then a Star PD in .45 ACP and an IWB holster is my go-to choice.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Best .45 for concealed carry? - 02/06/11
I have no problem concealing my Glock model 21 verses one of my full size Kimbers.
© 24hourcampfire