Home
I have been looking at revolvers for some time, however I can not come to 'grips' with the price. (pun intended) Especially when Auto loaders are the same price, or less in many cases.

Is this something I should get over, or is there something I am missing?
I think revolvers are more expensive because they are probably producing fewer of them.

However, to save a few bucks, consider shopping around at pawnshops, the used counter of your favorite gun shop, and websites such as www.elitedealseeker.com.
Buy used. I recently acquired an as new Smith and Wesson M586 for less than what a well used Glock goes for.
You're missing Taurus and Ruger.

Plenty of bang for the buck with those manufacturers..
What will you use it for? Why do you want one? (a revolver) covers to much and nothing at the same time. Just maybe a revolver isn't the answer.
Yep, most of the revolvers I have were "pre-owned." They were made better in the old days anyway.
Which revolvers have you priced?

Landrum
All short guns have been creeping upwards for quite some time. The Obama election scare accelerated this. They seem to have went back down some. It remains to be seen how much the threat of new gun legislation from the rash of shooting lately, headed by the one in Arizona, will affect the market.

There's no reason for revolvers to be cheaper than autos in the first place, other than supply and demand in the marketplace. Old-school, traditional type revolvers seem much less visible now mainly IMO, due to the makers all having a propensity towards making [bleep] looking new guns. I don't know what is up with having to put huge garish lettering on an otherwise okay-looking piece. That and weird angles and stuff to all guns. A few would be okay, but it seems like you can't hardly buy a regular looking handgun anymore.

Anyway the WTD question is easily answered. Get what you want.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Buy used. I recently acquired an as new Smith and Wesson M586 for less than what a well used Glock goes for.
Really? Yesterday I saw a 586 and it was around $600. You can get a Police Trade-In Glock .40 right now at Cabela's for about $350.
Yes, really. Deals are out there if you're not in a hurry.
I have been pricing some of the more popular models (apparently): Colt Python, S&W Mountain Gun, Ruger Blackhawk, etc. I see where Taurus makes an inexpensive revolver (comparatively speaking). So, I may go that route.

I don't intend to buy new. As far as I'm concerned, it's like buying a new car. I.E. Once it leaves the showroom floor, it loses a % of value.

I appreciate the link too. I hadn't heard of that site..
Originally Posted by Skivvy
I have been pricing some of the more popular models (apparently): Colt Python, S&W Mountain Gun, Ruger Blackhawk, etc. I see where Taurus makes an inexpensive revolver (comparatively speaking). So, I may go that route.

I don't intend to buy new. As far as I'm concerned, it's like buying a new car. I.E. Once it leaves the showroom floor, it loses a % of value.

Quite a bit different than a car... The car drops A LOT when it leaves the dealer's. A firearm drops a little....but over the next 50 years it won't drop much more and may likely increase in value!
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Skivvy

Quite a bit different than a car... The car drops A LOT when it leaves the dealer's. A firearm drops a little....but over the next 50 years it won't drop much more and may likely increase in value!

Well, using your example, the analogy still works. As best I can tell, a car's value goes up when you keep it for 50 years as well. wink

Besides, it's not something I am worried about. I'll let my kids figure out the value of my guns in 50 years, and in the mean time I'll let someone else worry about the "new car smell!"

Anyway, I am finding some reasonable deals using the link: http://www.elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=gunstuff
I'll keep watching.

Thx again!
Heck, I live in Omaha and have seen some good deals at Cabela's, Gun Unlimited, Scheel's, and even some of the pawn shops. Not many and not very often, but they do come along from time to time.

Tell me what you're looking for and I'm happy to give you heads up if I come across something on your list.

JEff
I had forgotten about Guns Unlimited. I'll have to check em out.
What Omaha pawn shops do you recommend?

Really I am just looking for a decent used 357 or 44 mag. probably 4 to 6 inch barrel. Something to take to the range, and keep in the night stand.

I've seen the revolvers at Cabelas, (I'm there way too much) but they never seem like a great deal to me. Even the auto loaders are a bit over priced for used. New may be another story. I never really check that counter.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Heck, I live in Omaha and have seen some good deals at Cabela's, Gun Unlimited, Scheel's, and even some of the pawn shops. Not many and not very often, but they do come along from time to time.

Tell me what you're looking for and I'm happy to give you heads up if I come across something on your list.

JEff

Thanks for that reminder again. I checked out Guns Unlimited. They have a GREAT supply of reloading components, and their prices are pretty competitive.

I have noticed a few 'affordable' revolvers at the Bullet Hole and Cabelas. I'll keep watching. I'm sure one will grab me soon enough.
Not sure what you are looking for...

A J Frame in 38(+P) is about 450 here.

What type of revolver are you looking for?

In the used .357 department you get more bang for your buck with a Ruger than just about anything else. If you are not overly price sensitive then I'd suggest you consider a used S&W Model 27 or 28 with a 4-inch barrel.
A Taurus is going to be hard to beat for what you get. Best revolver for the money out there.
Originally Posted by warpig602
A Taurus is going to be hard to beat for what you get. Best revolver for the money out there.

Unless you can find a Ruger Security Six.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by warpig602

Unless you can find a Ruger Security Six.

Ah, you beat me to it on the recommendation! Find a Security Six--blued and worn, about $300. Blued and like new, about $350, stainless and nearly new, $325 to $400 in my area from a shop with a warranty (prices vary by shop, with or without box, grips, etc).
Or, same gun but with fixed sights is the Service Six.
PS, put a Wolff low power spring kit in it for @ $10.00 and you'll like it even more
Both come in 4" or 6" bbls.
Just checked GB and there are some of both there now, but I noticed the prices have gone up in the last 6 months
Revolvers require slightly more hand-fitting than autoloaders, so it costs more to make them.

But there are a LOT of used revolvers out there, and if you're patient, you can get a very decent one for under $400, as long as you stick to the calibers/models that were produced in large numbers. The K-frame S&W revolvers are a great value, especially police trade-in guns. CDNN (they advertise in Shotgun News) still gets runs of LE trade-in revolvers from time to time. Gunbroker has scads of K-frames for sale all the time. I'd look at a Model 13 or Model 65 (fixed-sight 38/357). They were made by the boatload. If you just want a 38, you can find a S&W Model 10 for under $300 or a Model 15 or Model 64 for under $400 on Gunbroker if you're patient.

Ruger Security-Six and GP-100 revolvers are also a great buy, expecially the GP-100. Rugged and reliable.

I've had Taurus revolvers, and have not been impressed with their reliability. They look like S&W's, but the innards are different and not nearly as reliable.

Colt revolvers are wonderful, but they were made in smaller numbers and they'll always be spendy.
I have been looking at the Taurus Line. Esp the 669 and 627 Seems like Taurus has a good price for revolvers. I have also been looking at the Ruger RedHawk, Security Six, GP100 and the S&W 629.

I have time, so I'll keep looking..

What do I want to do with it?? I want to shoot it. I would also consider carrying it (hunting, camping, to bed) provided it was more useful than my sig. wink
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Revolvers require slightly more hand-fitting than autoloaders, so it costs more to make them.

But there are a LOT of used revolvers out there, and if you're patient, you can get a very decent one for under $400, as long as you stick to the calibers/models that were produced in large numbers. The K-frame S&W revolvers are a great value, especially police trade-in guns. CDNN (they advertise in Shotgun News) still gets runs of LE trade-in revolvers from time to time. Gunbroker has scads of K-frames for sale all the time. I'd look at a Model 13 or Model 65 (fixed-sight 38/357). They were made by the boatload. If you just want a 38, you can find a S&W Model 10 for under $300 or a Model 15 or Model 64 for under $400 on Gunbroker if you're patient.

Ruger Security-Six and GP-100 revolvers are also a great buy, expecially the GP-100. Rugged and reliable.

I've had Taurus revolvers, and have not been impressed with their reliability. They look like S&W's, but the innards are different and not nearly as reliable.

Colt revolvers are wonderful, but they were made in smaller numbers and they'll always be spendy.

See I was wondering about the Taurus fit/finish/function. Sounds like may not be what I'm looking for. I will look into the SW 13 / 65 as well. Not too many on GB right now, but I'm sure some will show up after spring cleaning. I still like the ruger options too.

And yes, Colt must use pure Rhodium in their handguns.. or at least that's what they want us to think!
I bought my wife a tauras 605 ~15 years ago. I was quite suprised at how nice the fit and finish is on that gun. I cant' comment on how well it'll hold up to extended shooting, as any 357 snubbie is an unpleasant gun to shoot, so it just hasn't seen that many rounds. With 38 sp. loads it's not too bad to shoot.

If you can find a reasonably priced GP-100, get it, they are rock solid guns, and IMHO a 4" adj sighted .357 would be about perfect.
© 24hourcampfire