Home
Ok, this is a typical, spontaneous new gun desire that NEEDS to be satisfied fast wink - I really like the 5.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk, but I think I'd prefer a larger grip. It seems like the Bisley grip would be just about perfect on that pistol.

Anyone done this that can tell me if parts are available and what parts are necessary? Any other advice, help, recommendations???

Thanks guys!!!
try Brownells, at one time I recall they sold all the parts to convert it, but some fitting may be required.
Yeah, Brownells used to have the conversion parts, but they were blued only, sold in the white, and not cheap. Wanna know the cheapest way to do it? Buy a Bisley to match (SS or Blue), steal the parts, put your old parts on the other gun, and sell it. You'll save about $100 doing it that way, save time, and headaches.

Oh and by the way, the Ruger Bisley Grip is the best grip design for handling heavy recoil; there's just nothing like it. I find the Freedom Arms revovers near perfect, but I can't stand the grip frame at all; if it was the Ruger grip frame, I'd be all over one.

Best of luck to you my friend.
Thanks guys! I did see that Brownell's shows a kit, but says out of stock - another site mentioned that Ruger has discontinued offering the kit.

Kevin, been thinking that might be the quickest, cleanest way as well.

Also, I've seen the Super Blackhawk offered with a Bisley grip but 7.5" bbl - guess I could have the bbl cut down, huh?!?!? I'll make a post over in the gunsmith forum about this to see if anyone has any idea of the cost.
Easiest way, go buy what you want and sell your old gun. No fuss, no bother.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Easiest way, go buy what you want and sell your old gun. No fuss, no bother.

I would . . . if they offered it (Super Blackhawk, 5.5" bbl, Bisley grip). They don't now, have in the past, but they aren't for sale very often and when they are the price is ridiculous.
Are you looking for Stainless. They do come up and so do the grips. I'd think about placing a WTB on the classifieds here and on the Ruger Forum. You just never know what you'll find.
FWIW, the Ruger super blackhawk bisley hunter does not use the regular bisley hammer, it's a standard super blackhawk hammer. I know this for fact because I had mine apart last night doing a trigger job. So ... I'm not sure how compatible the regular bisley blackhawk parts might or might not be with the bisley super blackhawk parts.

The Super B Bisley Hunter is **heavy**. Kinda wish I'd bought a regular Bisley, then drilled and tapped it. Wow heavy.
Originally Posted by TXRam
Thanks guys! I did see that Brownell's shows a kit, but says out of stock - another site mentioned that Ruger has discontinued offering the kit.

Kevin, been thinking that might be the quickest, cleanest way as well.

Also, I've seen the Super Blackhawk offered with a Bisley grip but 7.5" bbl - guess I could have the bbl cut down, huh?!?!? I'll make a post over in the gunsmith forum about this to see if anyone has any idea of the cost.

No problem cutting the barrel down, but you'll need a higher front sight when you cut your barrel down, to compensate for the increased recoil and change in the sight angles. Should be able to get the job done for under $200
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Oh and by the way, the Ruger Bisley Grip is the best grip design for handling heavy recoil; there's just nothing like it. I find the Freedom Arms revovers near perfect, but I can't stand the grip frame at all; if it was the Ruger grip frame, I'd be all over one.

Best of luck to you my friend.

Kevin, I'm just the opposite. The unaltered Bisley is just too big for me, but the FA 97......Ahhhhhhhhh Poifect!

Horses for courses, as they say.

Pete
TX

You might consider the Hogue Rubber Mono Grips for your SBH. Not pretty, but very nice to shoot, and more of a Bisley length. At under $20, it might be worth a try. I have them and a Bisley hammer on my .41mag Blackhawk. I like its feel better than my .45LC Bisley. Good luck.

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Yeah, Brownells used to have the conversion parts, but they were blued only, sold in the white, and not cheap.

Not that it matters anymore, but Brownells did offer the conversion kit in SS for the SBH at one time.

I got one.

- Tom

There is a 5 1/2" stainless .45 Bisley model on gunbroker right now for a buy it now of $499, opening bid is $479 and it already went through at least one auction cycle unsold at that price. If you haven't been watching prices, that is by far the lowest they have been in years.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214751075

Another one just like it sold today for $499 with 4 bids.

FWIW, there is a .41 Magnum 7 1/2" Bisley on auction as well as one of these 5 1/2" stainless models in .357 Magnum.

Lots of Hunter Bisleys in all calibers as well.
Ok, this is a typical, spontaneous new gun desire that NEEDS to be satisfied fast wink - I really like the 5.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk, but I think I'd prefer a larger grip. It seems like the Bisley grip would be just about perfect on that pistol.

Anyone done this that can tell me if parts are available and what parts are necessary? Any other advice, help, recommendations???

Thanks guys!!!

Are the adjustable sights a critical requirement? If not, a Ruger Bisley Vaquero might suit you. A little less flexibility with loads, but it's not all that hard to work up something that shoots to point of aim. Ruger's not making them anymore (the new Vaquero is smaller), but it's easy to find 'em.

FWIW, I've come to prefer the Vaquero over the SBH, although that's partly 'cause we use 'em in Cowboy shooting, and the SBH sights are an impediment.

-R44
5.5" Bisley converted from SBH.

[Linked Image]
You better shoot enough grips to find what you like. I HATE the Freedom or any other Bisley grip. They are sensitive to hold and will not group well for me and they all beat my knuckle. The grip is a better fit for weak and small hands and wrists.
The S&W 29 has VERY grip sensitive POI ability, the RH is almost as bad, the SRH is much better and the SBH is best.
I don't know why anyone thinks the Bisley is best for recoil!
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
5.5" Bisley converted from SBH.

[Linked Image]

For Sale??? wink EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by bfrshooter
You better shoot enough grips to find what you like. I HATE the Freedom or any other Bisley grip. They are sensitive to hold and will not group well for me and they all beat my knuckle. The grip is a better fit for weak and small hands and wrists.
The S&W 29 has VERY grip sensitive POI ability, the RH is almost as bad, the SRH is much better and the SBH is best.
I don't know why anyone thinks the Bisley is best for recoil!

Hmmm, if I knew I would be able to find the parts to exchange, I would have already bought the SBH w/ 5.5" bbl. Problem is - 1)Bisley parts aren't available anywhere I can find, 2) the 4 5/8 and 5 1/2" bbl'd SBH's have a smaller grip than the 7.5's - looks too small for me (I have large hands), 3) no one I know near me owns any of these to try.

So if I bought the SBH w/ 5.5" bbl and don't like it, and I'll have to turn it around for (probably) a small loss. Still may do this, but exploring my options.
OK, I figure I've stressed about this enough, so . . . just hit the "Buy It Now" button on this Ruger Blackhawk. It seems like a good deal, and after much debating, research, etc. on the 45 vs. 44, I decided it was splitting hairs for what I wanted this for (general plinking, backpacking carry, short distance hunting, etc.). I can't wait to get it and started playing - it'll be my first revolver!
[Linked Image]
If I could have just one SA ruger, that would be the one.

TX:

A revolver to ride the range with. Good deal.

- Tom
It looks sweet!

I changed my mind after we talked earlier, I think it would look better leaving the cylinder as is, the flutes would look out of place in my opinion.

Then again, it's not my Ruger laugh

I paid more than that when they were first introduced!
OK, I figure I've stressed about this enough, so . . . just hit the "Buy It Now" button on this Ruger Blackhawk. It seems like a good deal, and after much debating, research, etc. on the 45 vs. 44, I decided it was splitting hairs for what I wanted this for (general plinking, backpacking carry, short distance hunting, etc.). I can't wait to get it and started playing - it'll be my first revolver!

I have exactly that one.

HELLUVA price you got that one for.

10.0 grains of Unique, 270-280 WFN, W-W or R-P cases, and it'll do everything you need it to do.
My .45 SS Bisley is that same gun. I have the cheap black plastic grips from Midway USA on it. I prefer the checkered grips for hunting, but the smooth wood grips for the range. A Wolff hammer spring is very smooooth. Good luck.
You chose well there pilgrim. laugh laugh Now go and shoot it.
Originally Posted by croldfort
My .45 SS Bisley is that same gun. I have the cheap black plastic grips from Midway USA on it. I prefer the checkered grips for hunting, but the smooth wood grips for the range. A Wolff hammer spring is very smooooth. Good luck.

Would you mind explaining why you like the checkered grips for hunting? I can't stand mine. The checkering bites my hand. Looking for wood grips as we speak. Is it just that you can get a better grip when wet?
© 24hourcampfire