Home
Good Day,
Not debating that the .380 is light for defense but for a walking around insurance policy, which of the above would be the best investment (resale)/most reliable?
Thanks for your opinions
Smiley
Originally Posted by Smiley1954
Good Day,
Not debating that the .380 is light for defense but for a walking around insurance policy, which of the above would be the best investment (resale)/most reliable?
Thanks for your opinions
Smiley
For resale, it would be the North American Arms. It would likely retain its value so long as in reasonable condition over many many years, being all steel, and well constructed. You can have reliability issues with any of them, in which case you'd only need to send them back for work. I found with my NAA that the grip is so short that gripping it puts downward pressure on the magazine "finger rest" and this caused feeding issues. They should not have a finger rest at the base of the magazines, IMO, for this reason. It could be that they've changed that by now, though, so look into it.

The NAA is a heavier gun, so you will feel it in your pocket, and it can cause a sagging in there, too. The other two are much lighter, and will likely not be noticed by you in your pocket. They are, however, essentially disposable items, not meant to last generations like the NAA Guardian, so resale value is not likely even a consideration. You couldn't get more than a token amount for one you've been carrying and occasionally shooting for any length of time.
I've seen a lot of broken trigger springs with the NAA. They aren't very good sellers.
Flip a coin between the Ruger and the K-T.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Flip a coin between the Ruger and the K-T.

Yep
Ruger LCP or Keltec P3AT ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd go with the Ruger, I like their Blackhawks and Ranch Rifles.
Also I think the Ruger may have a slight edge as regards quality, durability ... and the LCP has a hold bolt open feature, and what some regard as a more 'ergonomic' grip.

Resale value? Brand recognition! I have three older friends (NOT gun nuts) who have purchased the Ruger LCP (for self defense) and I'll bet not one of them has even heard of 'Kel-Tec'.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Ruger LCP or Keltec P3AT ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd go with the Ruger, I like their Blackhawks and Ranch Rifles.
Also I think the Ruger may have a slight edge as regards quality, durability ... and the LCP has a hold bolt open feature, and what some regard as a more 'ergonomic' grip.

Resale value? Brand recognition! I have three older friends (NOT gun nuts) who have purchased the Ruger LCP (for self defense) and I'll bet not one of them has even heard of 'Kel-Tec'.

Both the Kel Tech and the Ruger are solid reliable guns. I want one, as well and I don't care which. Will be looking for one walking around a gun show soon.
...or buy a Seecamp.
Kahr has a nice 380 as well, I have a LCP which does what its supposed to. I think I have spent as much on finding the right holster as the gun.

Smiley:

I think resale ought to be the furthest thing from your mind.

That said, Kel-Tecs are famously reliable. The Rugers, while they haven't been around as long, seem to have their bugs ironed out, according to most here.

Originally Posted by safariman
Will be looking for one walking around a gun show soon.

You will find it impossible not to find one at a gun show.

Don't have experience with the others but my LCP has been very reliable and accurate. If I was to lose it I would buy another one in a heart beat and not think twice. For a holster I've been happy with the De Santis SuperFly.
Sig P238 if resale is a prime concern!
Originally Posted by T LEE
Sig P238 if resale is a prime concern!
I'd have to agree with that. Essentially a newly made Colt Mustang.
I'd vote KelTec. It's the cheapest, and as such you'd be losing the least money for a given percentage of depreciation. But I don't buy guns for investment purposes. My K-T is reliable, ugly, and carried daily. The pocket clip great too. I carry it w/o a holster, just the clip.
I have a Keltec with a CT laser. A great combination. Just make sure to get the right ammo.
I/my wife have the kel-tec, reliable, incredibly light, if there is a problem they reputedly have good customer service. If I were buying today I would consider the Kahr even though a bit pricey and also would try to find some of the latest reviews on the diamondback (looks like a tiny glock). The original reviews indicated some problems with good customer service, hopefully they have the bugs worked out. I may end up trying the diamondback someday and depending replace the Keltec.

Jerry
The Khar 380 rocks, at least mine does. I've heard less-than positive reviews of Diamondback's offerings. The Khar 380 is the gun I have on me when I don't think I need a gun, and when I do it lives in a support-side pocket holster.
I think maybe a look at the Diamondback ia worthwhile.I just got a DB9 and 150 rounds down the tube.it's smokin'...
Have owned and carried a LCP in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for a couple of years and have no complaints. Sights are a little difficult to obtain so it is definitely an up close and personal gun. I carry Corbon DPX's in it.
I see the Rugers are getting more expensive. The Sig Sauer
380 that looks like a Colt Mustang are more expensive but I
wouldnt mind having one.
At the Davenport Iowa gunshow today Keltecs were between $225 to $260 new for the 380's and 9's. They work well and how much resale could you lose?
before you drop coins,
you owe it to yourself to check out and shoot if possible
a Walther PK 380.
Not as tiny as an LCP but a great shooter.
If it does not drop into a shirt pocket, I would go for a 9mm or a 40 like my Kahr CW40, now on my hip as I type.
seecamp

WildmyanswertoeverythingAlaska ��2002-2011
I carry the LCP with CT laser in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster.
Originally Posted by rifle
I think maybe a look at the Diamondback ia worthwhile.I just got a DB9 and 150 rounds down the tube.it's smokin'...

Big +1. I had the Keltec 380 and when I felt a Diamondback 380 the Keltec got sold off. I love the DB, looks like a Glock got shrunk down. the gun shoots great and actually has a pretty good set of sights on it as well which makes hitting something at 25yds faily easy to do.
No one mentioned S and W .380...thumbs up or down?
I and 3 brothers have the Ruger Lcp, I carry mine a lot in my shirt pocket. It also fits perfectly in a cell phone holster.

I and brothers have never had an issue with our pistols and all we shoot is reloads with a max load of power pistol and 95ghp=1040 fps.
As long as it does not say Sigma on it the Smith should be fine too.
I have read of to many failure to fire and failure to extract with those Diamondbacks to bet my life on one. If they get the bugs worked out, maybe.
I have a Ruger LCP that is a great little gun. I have friends with the Kel-tech and they like theirs. Both are good guns.
I have a P3AT,Kahr 380 and a P238,Well I should say my wife has the Kahr,She shot it once and that was that.
All three do what they were intended to do all are reliable and accurate if you do your part.Between the P3AT and the LCP I prefer The Keltec for one reason only the trigger on the Lcp breaks to far back for my for my liking.Either would make an excellent pocket gun.I carry these as a back up or when I cant pull off something larger.
© 24hourcampfire