Home
Posted By: bwinters Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
Hi folks,

I picked up my Bisley 45 colt last nite - I really like this gun. I was thinking of a set of Pachmayrs (blasphemy....) but discovered Pachmayr doesn't make a Bisley grip, nor does Hogue.

I'll likely try the standard wooden grip with the rounded trigger guard. My first experience with my SBH with full power 44 loads and the standard grip wasn't over enjoyable but always looking for ideas.

Ideas?
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
This is the Ruger BH, right?

Try it with the factory grips before you start looking for something else.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
Not sure what you want to spend but Cary Chapman make a nice set of Bisley grips. However you have to send him the grip frame. Bisley frames vary and that is why there aren't many options for after market grips. Hope this helps.

http://www.clccustomgrips.com/

ddj
Posted By: bwinters Re: Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
DR - yep a Ruger BH. I will shoot it but always like to know options.

I ordered a wolf spring kit yesterday - its a little stiff.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
I saw those grips earlier today - they are nice.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
These are my favorite on my Bisley 45 LC
[Linked Image]
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
Originally Posted by bea175
These are my favorite on my Bisley 45 LC
[Linked Image]

Who built those grips for ya?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Bisley grip options - 01/30/12
I just can't remember at the moment . I purchased them off a dealer on eBay. It has been a while. If i can remember i will post it for you.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
My Bisley is a 357 and has been cut to 5". I had a set of Grashorn Grips in Elk stag made for them. They have good 'bark' and are the best fit I have ever had on a pair of grips that were not custom fitted. They were not inexpensive but are the nicest I've seen with one exception. Those were on a totally custom Ruger built by a friend and are Bighorn sheep horn by a really bigname maker of grips and were on order for well over a year. They were definitely not cheap either.I believe they were made by Roy Fishpaw, in any case they are a set to die for.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
I would love to have a set of Sheep Horn Grips for my 4 inch Ruger Black Hawk in 44 mag
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
Cary Chapman makes a style of grips that flare out at the top, filling the hand between the thumb and palm; I have them on my 5.5" Stainless Bisley 45 Colt and really like them. Cary made this pair out of ivory micarta for me back in 2006.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
Altamont grips, I recently bought these, not very pricey but nice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
Altamont does great work; neat looking grips, that checkering pattern really stands out. How is it with recoil?
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Cary Chapman makes a style of grips that flare out at the top, filling the hand between the thumb and palm; I have them on my 5.5" Stainless Bisley 45 Colt and really like them. Cary made this pair out of ivory micarta for me back in 2006.

[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful! I really like Mr. Chapman's grips.

ddj

ddj
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
For me the Bisley is much better to shoot than the plow handle. I still get some knuckle bite with strong loads but it because of my monkey like hands.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Originally Posted by Oregon45

[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful! I really like Mr. Chapman's grips.

I really, really, really dislike grips with a swell at the top like that. They slam into the joint at the base of my thumb and hurt me like hell. I am far better served by the factory grip profile in the Bisleys. This may be due to injury to that joint as a young man, I don't know... all I know is that grips that are fat at the top are a no-no for me.

The shape and size of the shooter's hand should be the determinant of grip shape, not the shape of the grip frame.

This is not a new debate. Youngsters may not remember the names Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton, but these two gentlemen, estimable handgunners both, had very different approaches to revolver grip shape. Jordan had HUGE hands and liked a big fat grip, available today as Herter's Trooper Jordan, and mimicked by the Miculek grip and others. Skelton was a more slightly-built man with long, skinny hands, and he liked a "coke-bottle" shaped grip, available today from Altamont and others.

I've tried both styles. The Jordan types are a mess, as far as I'm concerned. I shoot the Skelton type grips far better, at least on double-action revolvers.

The Ruger Bisley gripframe with factory grips works very well for me. My most-used Bisley has the factory wood grips that I bought it with 12 years ago. I've fired thousands of rounds of heavy .45 Colt ammo through this gun with plenty of comfort.

All you can really do is try grips that you think you'd like, and if they work for you as is, great. If they don't work for you, sell them or carve them to suit.
Posted By: Tony Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
I like my grips round (whether Bisly or standard) with no flat areas where my hand runs and on the lean side to I can firmly grab the piece. These were originally CaryC's grips that I had Alan Harton work over to perfection for my hand. In my experience both Alan and Dustin Linebaugh now well how to get a Bisley grip right. Hogue's are similarly round but need to be thinned for my use, a nice, less expensive option.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: croldfort Re: Bisley grip options - 01/31/12
I use Black Polymar Grips from Midway on my Ruger SS Bisley in .45LC. I like the checkering better for hunting than the original wood grips. They were about $25.

I use the Hogue Rubber Mono grips on my .41 Blackhawk with a Bisley hammer.
Posted By: Tony Re: Bisley grip options - 02/01/12
How well did the polumer grip fit? I bought the same one and it wasn't even close on one of my SS Bisley's.
Posted By: TomC321 Re: Bisley grip options - 02/01/12
I found that with my 5 �� stainless .45 Bisley that the trigger guard beat my second finger. I tried slightly thicker grips and that didn�t work. I tried thinner, Eagle Gunfighter grips and that worked well. I now like the Bisley, but I still prefer the standard XR-3RED grip of my NMBHs.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Bisley grip options - 02/03/12
Grashorn Elk Stags, with as little bark as possible for the 44mag.

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire