Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
Which do you pref. and why?
Ruger, S&W ?
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I've never actually hunted with mine, but I've got a .44 Flattop Blackhawk for that purpose. I like the longer barrel than the one on my other .44 Mag. and the grip frame on this one fits me better than the Super Blackhawk or regular Blackhawks do. I like the looks of it too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JOG Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
S&W M629. On the subjective side they balance better for me, have better triggers, and good accuracy. On the factual side they have around half the lock-time of single actions, which matters less from the bench, but it makes a S&W a better choice for field positions.

Make mine at least a 6-inch with the medium contour Performance Center style barrel, with a heavy full-lug in second place. A Performance Center Master Hunter has been my go-to for the last dozen years or so:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
Smith.

Travis
Freedom Arms model 83 will get it done right for you! I carry andd use a model 97 in .44 Spl and it handles most anything I'm going to find here in Michigan.......

FA guns just have a feel of quality about them that's hard to describe until you hold one for the first time.
my favorite 44 now?
A Ruger SRH , ss in 7? 7.5 "

If I were to return to chase whitetails, I'd slap a reflex dot on it.
Posted By: Tony Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
Smith's and Ruger's primarily. Tough to beat a SBH for the money. And contrary to the above my SA's shoot as well and some better than my DA Smith's. One of my 3 screws here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
Ruger Redhawk or Super Blackhawk, stainless steel, with a 5.5" barrel and iron sights.

Why? Balance + portability.

My handgun hunting is still hunting done in places I can't get a good rest. I've never been as proficient with a scoped handgun offhand as I am with an iron sighted handgun offhand, the extra weight and messed up balance more than offsets any advantage the scope offers.

Scoped revolvers are a tradeoff. I'm not super fond of the Super Redhawk, it's a heavy awkward SOB, but the position its ring grooves locate the scope is idea. The redhawk and super blackhawk hunter factory ring grooves put the scope weight too far forward for balance, but they are otherwise more graceful guns. Leupold drill 'n' tap mounts put the scope a little farther back than I think is ideal.

The best setup I've seen is a 7-1/2 inch barreled super blackhawk with an SSK TSOB mount. I haven't gotten to handle it, but visually, it puts the scope about the same location as the super redhawk but in a lighter package.

Anymore, I lean towards a "belt" revolver, 4-5" barreled S&W or 4-5/8" - 5.5" barreled Ruger for 95% of the time and a scoped TC barrel for the times I go somewhere and sit where there's a rest.

Tom
Posted By: 340mag Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
[Linked Image]
IVE USED A 10 5/8" SMITH 44 FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS NOW WITH 300 GRAIN CAST AND 20 GRAINS OF h110 , ITS EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE AND ACCURATE, BUT ITS SHOULDER HOLSTER TIME AND ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU CARRY OTHER THAN AS A PRIMARY HUNTING REVOLVER
A Marlin lever gun with ghost rings.
That's a nice gun. Thanks for sharing. The longest barreled handgun I can remember having was an 8 3/8" model 27 that looked a lot like your .44. That one must have been a special order item.
Posted By: deflave Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
That's a sweet revolver.

Travis
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/03/12
S&W silhouette model with the 4-position front sight, one for each kind of target, chicken, turkey, pig, ram. Not sure if the front sight positions are adjustable or if you're just hoping they're all sighted in with one rear sight position. Cool guns, though. I hadn't seen one in 15 years or more 'til real recently, someone handed me one to drool over. I must be gettin' old, I can't think of who it was now.

Anyways, y' got a good one there.
I've always wanted to make a run with one of the Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunters. Never owned one, but one of these days, I'll get that far down the list of wants.
Posted By: 340mag Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/04/12
each of the 4 front site positions on the 10 5/8" barrel S&W is INDIVIDUALLY adjustable and the front site height can be almost instantly swapped by spinning a selector wheel in the site base
Ive got mine set on
50 yards
100 yards
150 yards
200 yards
once you site in, its dead on at the range selected, I generally leave it set at 100 yards, its close enough to be used in 90% of my shots set like that
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
btw
you can get really close by sighting in to hit 1.5" high at 25 yards =100 yard zero
you can get really close by sighting in to hit 3.3" high at 25 yards =150 yard zero
you can get really close by sighting in to hit 5.4" high at 25 yards =200 yard zero

then make fine adjustments required at exact range if necessary
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/04/12
ruger srh the only negative is the trigger which is only thing i give to smith
Ruger SuperRedhawk, 7�", with Leupold 2X20.

I don't know if it's the best, but simply the best one I've owned. I thought that the SuperBlackhawk was my favorite until I tried this one.

I haven't owned a lot of .44 mag revolvers, so I may grab one in the future and decide it's the best.
Posted By: Fischer Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/04/12
+1 on the Ruger SRH. Easily scoped, if you like, and mine have been exceptionally accurate. Handles recoil well too.
Posted By: gorskij Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/04/12
My choice in the 44 mag category.
[Linked Image]
I just changed due o the new Ruger grips being so small, now I'm back with S&W again.

Posted By: OlyWa Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/05/12
I've had a 7.5" Redhawk and a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. But I'm really partial to my 10" G2 Contender with a 2x Burris and Pachmayer grips. That thing can flat shoot.
I'm partial to my 4" Anaconda.
Mark
Posted By: tlfw Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/06/12
The 44 Mag I carry the most to the ranch is the S&W 629...

[Linked Image]

I also have a Colt Anaconda that has a scope for hunting...

[Linked Image]

I decide by optic choice....
I prefer the S&W N frame .44s due to the fact that they fit my hand best.

Purely for shootability reasons, the 6.5" barrel length is the favorite for hunting.

4" for packing.
5" for all around general purpose use. Best of both worlds.

I have a few Rugers and enjoy them, but the S&Ws are what I most often grab.

Posted By: RWE Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/06/12
I can't give a good cross-sectional opinion, but my 6.5" S&W29N hasn't failed to satisfy my hunting needs.

pachmyer grips, magna-ported. Shoots both 180's and 240's fine, AND kills stuff.
I notice the S&W does not have a scope. Do you prefer scope or opne sights? Do open sights work well?
Posted By: RWE Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/06/12
Originally Posted by Skysoldier1bat
I notice the S&W does not have a scope. Do you prefer scope or opne sights? Do open sights work well?

Think you're referring to the pics above, but I had mine scoped with a leupold 2x at one time, now use open sights.

Scoped I felt good inside 120 yards. Without scope, I usually stay inside 60yards.
These are hard to beat. Bisley Hunter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dph Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/06/12
For hunting, I prefer the Super Blackhawk to the S&W Model 29. I shoot some fairly stout 300gr XTPs through mine and think that the SB will hold up well for years of hunting/shooting.

If money wasn't a factor, I would probably go with either a Redhawk or Super Redhawk (scoped)

I've got less in my Super Blackhawk, TSOB Mount and Rings and 2x Leupold than I would in just a Super Redhawk revolver alone.
[Linked Image]
Don't get me wrong, I am not badmouthing S&W. I have 5 revolvers and 2 semi-autos.
Best .44 Rem Mag platform, IMHO, is a .44 SBH, three screw, line bored to .45 Colt with Shilen 6" barrel, custom front sight, long steel ejector housing, internal trigger stop with 2.5# trigger, 255 gr. SWC cast bullets and full charge of H4227. Bad medicine for hogs.

Work done by Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision. Target shot over a bag at 25 yds.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
S&W Model 29-2 with a 6" barrel works for me.
Posted By: blammer Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/07/12
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I've never actually hunted with mine, but I've got a .44 Flattop Blackhawk for that purpose. I like the longer barrel than the one on my other .44 Mag. and the grip frame on this one fits me better than the Super Blackhawk or regular Blackhawks do. I like the looks of it too.

[Linked Image]

YOU STABBED THE PISTOL! I think you killed it. laugh

here's my favorite. RSRH 44mag

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: magnumb Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/10/12
S&W 629, 4in. Carry it all day long and ended up being very accurate as was my earlier 6in. 629. The only handgun I carry when afield here in the heavily populated black bear PNW.

Reliable and I've never had a problem with any S&W pistols, which spans several decades. Took my blacktail buck a few years back with the 4in. version. 65 yds., open sights, handloaded 300gr. WFNHC Beartooth Bullets..........fun and a great experience.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/10/12
Warpig VERY cool filler for front sight

I like me Anaconda the best very accurate and really the best with recoil In fairness mine is also ported
My 629 I have not shot as much but it really barks it just seems to be a handful
Redhawk is pretty nice
Blackhawk I think we all know best value and most durable

The last 3 seasons I have taken my Anaconda out and wind up using my muzzleloader for deer so in all fairness I am talking about killing paper
Hank
Posted By: lawnman Re: Best 44 hunting platform ? - 02/10/12
Warpig that is one awesome looking Bisley, one of the best I have ever seen! Wink! smile
Originally Posted by lawnman
Warpig that is one awesome looking Bisley, one of the best I have ever seen! Wink! smile

Its awesome. No doubt the best one I have seen. You did well with this one. Got lots of compliments at the range. You're going to miss this one grin
Originally Posted by boatboy
Warpig VERY cool filler for front sight

I like me Anaconda the best very accurate and really the best with recoil In fairness mine is also ported
My 629 I have not shot as much but it really barks it just seems to be a handful
Redhawk is pretty nice
Blackhawk I think we all know best value and most durable

The last 3 seasons I have taken my Anaconda out and wind up using my muzzleloader for deer so in all fairness I am talking about killing paper
Hank

I really wish I could take credit for this one, but Jeff(lawnman) is the brains behind this beauty. I guess I just have a good eye for talent. I have to say, form is equal to function on this one, the gunsmiths who have hadtheir hand s on it reads like a whos who of the single action world.
© 24hourcampfire