Home
Interested in seeing what folks are actually carrying... for those times when a little gun beats no gun at all. I'm not talking sub-compacts or 45s here -- just true pocket pistols. What do you like, and why?

My top criteria: reliability, concealability and weight.

What say you?
My Model 36 Smith 38 Spl or Ruger SP-101 357 mag in revolvers and my Kahr P9 9mm in semi-auto. What I'm actually carrying at the moment is my Glock 23 40 S&W Fed 180 gr Hydra Shok's

M-36 S&W or the Stainless version in the same 38 chambering the M-60

[Linked Image]
Smith 642.

Dink
Daily carry. Taurus PT111 or S&W 442 with HydraShok ammunition and Crimson trace grips.

Terry
Ruger LCP - With a round count of about 750 rds thus far, it hasn't missed a lick. I think that could be considered reliable. It's certainly small & light enough for pocket carry. The sights are spartan, but it's really not too much of a hindrance.

Kahr P380 - After a couple of trips back to Massachusetts, and well over 500 rds of "break-in", it's finally starting to perform to some basic level of reliability. Great trigger & sights. If it was as reliable as the LCP, it would be my perfect pocket pistol.

I carried a hammerless airweight J-Frame S&W for a few decades before the current crop of .380's came on the scene, but I can carry the small autos mentioned with no regard for any particular style of pants/shorts. Couldn't do that with a J-Frame.

Everything else I've tried was either too heavy, too big or unreliable.
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Ruger LCP - With a round count of about 750 rds thus far, it hasn't missed a lick. I think that could be considered reliable. It's certainly small & light enough for pocket carry. The sights are spartan, but it's really not too much of a hindrance.

Kahr P380 - After a couple of trips back to Massachusetts, and well over 500 rds of "break-in", it's finally starting to perform to some basic level of reliability. Great trigger & sights. If it was a reliable as the LCP, it would be my perfect pocket pistol.

I carried a hammerless airweight J-Frame S&W for a few decades before the current crop of .380's came on the scene, but I can carry the small autos mentioned with no regard for any particular style of pants/shorts. Couldn't do that with a J-Frame.

Everything else I've tried was either too heavy, too big or unreliable.

That's more in the ballpark. I have a 642 and a MK-9 elite. I'm talking smaller, lighter and even more concealable. I've seen a lot of bad reports on the P380, and some mixed reviews on the LCP, but those who like them REALLY seem to like them. Anyone weigh in on the little Sigs?
The SIG is a bit of a different animal being a single action that must be carried cocked & locked. It has great sights and good ergonomics, but it's a tad larger & heavier than the LCP or Kahr. Reliability with them is a bit like Kahrs, as well ..... hit or miss.
S&W 640 stainless, hammerless, 5-shot .357Mag snub. Very difficult to shoot well, but simple and reliable d/a only. Teddy Jacobson did the action. Mine is pre-lock.

http://tinyurl.com/82ad68t
Colt has reintroduced the Mustang Pocketlite - of which the P238 was patterned after. The original series sample I had some years ago was dead-nuts reliable but the sights were lacking. It too is several ounces heavier than the LCP or P380.
S&W 442/642.
S&W M&P340.
Khar 380. Khar PM9.
Always have my 1st gen Kel-Tec P-32 whether I have anything else with me or not, it is my "always gun".

[Linked Image]
Kel tec 380 or s&w 442
Usually the 380
Originally Posted by T LEE
Always have my Kel-Tec P-32 whether I have anything else with me or not, it is my "always gun".

[Linked Image]

Mine's the same - Kel-Tec P32 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster but without the laser .

Some of y'all must have really big pockets. wink That P32 is the only one I found that fits in the front pocket of my jeans without really printing.
I'm told these work real nice and are Sig's version of the Walther PPK and PPK/S. I would seriously look into one of these if I had a need for a pocket pistol.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p232.aspx

Another choice would be:

http://seecamp.com/products.htm

in.380. A real pocket pistol.
Something about the Kel-Teks leave me cold. Fit and finish certainly isn't up there with some others. As for all you S&W J-frame fans, I have one (642). Ditto for Kahr MK-9 or PM9. (I have the MK-9 Elite). Just looking for something smaller, slimmer, lighter and semiauto -- but, above all, reliable.

Leaning toward the LCP, but still researching...
I have had quie a few Kel Techs, as well as several Kahr's. LCP is only a Kel Tech P3AT re-made by Ruger. I have compared them side by side and there is VERY little difference.

We really like our Kel Tech P3AT. Cannot seem to make it not work with any and all ammo, and EXCEEDINGLY light and thin. The two I own now and the other several I have owned had fit and finish that was just fine, considering what these guns are. They are not Colt Pythons. What they are is wonderful little guns, IMO.
Kahr CM9 or Taurus 605, usually the Kahr though.
My Sig 232 is accurate and dependable. Oh, no plastic parts either!
Problem with a Sig 232, its not really pocket sized, by my standards. Best .380 on the market though.
KEL TEC P3AT
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Something about the Kel-Teks leave me cold. Fit and finish certainly isn't up there with some others. As for all you S&W J-frame fans, I have one (642). Ditto for Kahr MK-9 or PM9. (I have the MK-9 Elite). Just looking for something smaller, slimmer, lighter and semiauto -- but, above all, reliable.

Leaning toward the LCP, but still researching...
Anything smaller than them and you're going to find it hard to hold onto and the trigger is going to suck. I work in a large gunshop/range and find it funny how many people want the smallest gun made and then want to add extended mags and finger extensions. They have it in their heads that they still have the small gun that they started out with. I find this especially with G26's. They always want one but then want me to put on a Pearce extension. I pull out a G19 and show how little difference there is and explain about the much smaller capacity but they still want the 26 because it's "smaller" (to start out with).
The only gun that gets traded in more than a Glock 26 is a Glock 27. One of those "good ideas" at first blush that really isn't.

Anything smaller than a G19 should be thought of as a BUG (backup gun). If all you are carrying is a 380, then you aren't really carrying, or barely so. Or, as Massad Ayoob says, "That's the gun I carry when I'm not carrying a gun."
LCP with a belt clip.

In hot weather I pack this pistol wearing shorts and an untucked tanktop .

Did just that at the local police K9 competiton last summer, with the place crawling with cops, and none the wiser. (I have a concealed handgun licence)

Virgil B.
Colt Detective Special with hammer shroud, because it's dead reliable and I can shoot it better than I can shoot the alloy frame version or a Smith J-frame - plus there's that extra shot compared to the Smiths.
I have utilized the same old Model 38 Smith for 40 years.
Kahr PM 9... night sights, Crimson Trace.... Always goes bang and with the laser sight accurate enough to serve as a top shelf trail gun.... High Noon pocket holster.

Some pants have deep enough back pockets to hold it.... That make for a very fast draw..... Front pocket from a seated position... Not so fast... I need to pick up an IWB holster designed to be used with the laser....

I may pick up a CM 9 so I can fool with cast bullets in one....

The trigger took some getting used to because it's so long... Not a problem now though.... Recoil even with hot loads is a non issue.
The smallest one I own is a Sig P238, which has a good reputation. Mine, unfortunately, does not run very well. It appears at times to have too weak of a recoil spring. I did more checking last weekend, and did find that the extractor had a little too much tension. I strengthened the spring slightly, and took out a bit of extractor tension, so we'll see how it runs this weekend.
I've got a Keltec .32 and a Ruger LCP. I'm going to give the .32 to my oldest daughter as soon as I get a chance to shoot the Ruger.
Your Top Choice in a Pocket Pistol?

S&W J-frame.........I have 2, a 442 & a 340PD.

135 gr. Gold Dot short Barrel loads.

IMO, way easier to handle than a small auto........I just don't like the way they shoot compared to the J's.

MM
Kel tec fit & finnish?
Function is what matters, and of course concealilibity
Yep, we are not talking heirloom guns here, just work-a-day carry guns.
My top choice is a 642. It fits well and doesn't snag or print.
Revolver? 442/642

Semi-auto? Kel-Tec P3AT.
Kel Tec 32 or S&W Model 37 Airweight.
Fits in the pocket and it's 9mm

[Linked Image]
Clipdraw on an LCP, will go anywhere.
http://www.clipdraw.com/
True pocket pistols - Glaser Safety Slugs .25 ACP

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Kel Tec 3AT - it has been 100% reliable!!

Bought the Kel Tec 32 and used is for a while, as long as you loaded the semi-rimmed rounds properly in the mag it functioned great. But when the 3AT came out in almost exactly the same size gun I quickly went to the .380. Bigger, more powerful round in the same basic size package with out having to worry about the semi-rim ammo issues. Win Win situation.

That said, if I were buying one today, I'd get the Ruger LCP. It is essentially the same gun as the Kel Tec, but the Ruger is smoother all over.
Looks like it's a horse race now between the Kel Tec and the LCP. As I mentioned, I have a bunch of other stuff for IWB carry, etc., but I'm looking for a true pocket pistol. I don't put the Kahr 9s or 642s (I have both) in that category.

Questions for LCP and Kel Tec owners:

- Have they been reliable from the get-go, or did they require X number of rounds for break-in?
- Is either finicky about ammo?
- Does either require frequent or special lube to run smooth?
- Any durability issues?

I looked at both briefly today. The Kel Tec doesn't look nearly as ugly as it often appears in photographs. Guess it's just not very photogenic. wink

I did notice it's priced at least $50 cheaper than the lowest-priced LCPs in this area. What's the biggest difference, other than the fact that you can lock the LCP slide back?
Kel-Tec P-32 here -

- Have they been reliable from the get-go, or did they require X number of rounds for break-in?

Mine was fairly reliable from the start. A couple of times in the first 100 rounds or so the slide would not go all the way into battery so I had to push it forward to lock but whatever that was seems to have smoothed out.

Have only fed mine Wincheser white box FMJ and Federal Hydra-shoks. Reliable with both. BTW, some of that white box FMJ has a flat meplat. If one is concerned with penetration a good flat point will penetrate and still carry some shock. I believe some folks mix up hollow points with FMJ in the magazine to get the best of both.

No special lube, I used Break-free on mine. Just keep it clean like you would any normal pistol you might bet your life on. wink Something folks don't think about is that pocket lint collects in odd places like the bottom of a pocket holster,so it's worthwhile to inspect the holster and look in the barrel now and then. Also, don't smother it in oil since that attracts pocket dust bunnies. I mostly pay attention to keeping the slide rails and lockwork clean and a light coat of oil on the moving parts, the outside stays fairly dry.

- Any durability issues?

Not yet, but mine's only had a few hundred rounds through it.

KW - my PF9 has functioned perfectly from day one. Doesn't seem to matter if it's dirty or dry either.
RE, Kentucky Windage: "What do you like and why?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A S&W 432 PD 'Airweight' snubnose revolver - 32 H&R Magnum.

A Beretta 3032 'Tomcat' Inox pistol - 32 ACP

I like BOTH because they are not TOO small ... and are fun to shoot and shoot accurately.
Between these two I would go Kel-tec, it has no magazine disconnect like the Ruger LCP. I will never own a pistol that is disabled when the mag drops out............Hb
Originally Posted by T LEE
Always have my 1st gen Kel-Tec P-32 whether I have anything else with me or not, it is my "always gun".

[Linked Image]

...same exact setup....Bob
The old deputy sheriff that I rode with when I first wore a badge, was called "Big John". Everybody knew him, and he lived up to every stitch of his reputation.

He wasn't more than 6'1", but he was just huge. His fingers were so big, the hairs on them looked like pencil lead. His wrists were so big around that the old metal stretch band on his watch had gaps between the links that you could lay .22 LR rounds in.

Anyway, Big John's pocket gun, which rode in his left front pants pocket, was a nickel plated model 59 Smith and Wesson. He had carried that pistol in there so long that all the nickel was worn off the right side of the gun.

His belt gun was a 4" Colt Python, as he was a believer in the .357 Magnum.

Myself, I don't think I could get one of those big Smith's to ride in my front pants pocket, but he sure did.
Ruger LCP, it actually fits in the bib pocket on overalls.
Read this thread if you missed it.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6135603/Re_New_Toy#Post6135603
Here's a link to directions for a Kel Tec P32 magazine mod to prevent rim locks. I did it for my P32.
http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a5/a5.html
Have never experienced rim lock with mine using Winchester Silvertips in the K-T or the Colt 1903.
Ruger LCR in .357

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RWL99
Ruger LCR in .357

[Linked Image]
An excellent "pocket rocket" this one actually has a little AZZ in case you do need the thing, I'm not a big fan of the little .380 or .32 cal pistols..............Hb
After my search?
A Diamnodback DB 9

9mm 11 oz! 3" barrel
it truly disapears and is always there.
Just bought it but so far so good.
The very first ones had issues ( as do most new guns )
Check out the Diamondback forum.

It is a tiny Glock. The only differnce is it has two transfer bars.
They are NOT rated for +p ammo. They are at the very edge of 9mm capability.
But for discrete carry, can't be beat

It makes the LC9 look huge!
Kahr P-380... About as small as one can get.. And also noting that the .380 round is about totally worthless unless you place one or three in a perp's ear.. laugh
Originally Posted by DINK
Smith 642.

Dink

There it is

Snake
For a true pocket pistol:
1. Rohrbaugh R9s (9mm, the smallest made. Expensive but worth it. It's what I carry mostly.
2. Seecamp .380. Bites your hand (wear a shooting glove for practice) but for close work will do the job, and is EXTREMELY SMALL.
3. Seecamp .32...same size as the .380 but less abusive to the hand and probably darn near as effective.
4. Had a Keltec PF9 but couldn't keep it running so traded it. You have to truly TRUST your carry piece!

Note: IMHO "pocket pistols" are generally for close in use at 7 yards or less, preferably less. If you plan on a gunfight, get a belt pistol/revolver that you trust in 9mm or larger with a minimum 4" barrel.
Smith 442.

It is extremely rare that I carry it as a primary gun though. Usually it serves as a second gun. The minimum I will usually roll with is a G19.
Questions for LCP and Kel Tec owners:

- Any durability issues?

1. I have 2 LCRs. Both have been reliable from the start. NO PROBLEMS...
2. Shot 2 or 3 hundred rounds of PMC & a few Hornady Critical Defense through each, NO PROBLEMS...
3. Breakfree
4. Doesn't get sticky/tight like my revolvers after 50 or 100 rounds
All 5 of the Kel-Tecs I have or family now have worked first time all the time right out of the box, no break in and no problems. That would be 2 P32's, 1 P3AT and 2 P11's.
Originally Posted by Dons99

1. I have 2 LCRs. Both have been reliable from the start. NO PROBLEMS...
2. Shot 2 or 3 hundred rounds of PMC & a few Hornady Critical Defense through each, NO PROBLEMS...
3. Breakfree
4. Doesn't get sticky/tight like my revolvers after 50 or 100 rounds

Sorry,#1. meant LCPs
My Taurus TCP has been very reliable
J-frame airweight with CCI 135 GD short barrel loads.
Originally Posted by Redneck
And also noting that the .380 round is about totally worthless unless you place one or three in a perp's ear.. laugh
I agree 100%..If you knew you were going be in a gun fight that day do you really think you would slide a little .380 in your front pocket and go out the door? and isn't that the reason we carry concealed weapons because that day might come? If it ever happens to me you can bet your azz I won't be packin no weak kneed .380.......Hb
I have a Smith 642 and an LCP. I mostly carry the 642, Been thinking about an LC9. Very slim 2 oz more and 3 more shots.
Anybody mention the LC9 yet? Had one for about two months before a friend talked me out of it. True pocket. Adequate sights, can be laser fitted. Minute of soda can at 15yds or so.
Gonna get another one and keep it.
S&W 642/125gr FederalPrem. Nyclad
Glock 26/115gr Corbon DPX
S&W M&P 40c/165gr Rem Golden Saber
all 3 are pocket carried in DeSantis Nemies holsters
sometimes carry a Glock 19,Glock 30, Colt Officer
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Anybody mention the LC9 yet? Had one for about two months before a friend talked me out of it. True pocket. Adequate sights, can be laser fitted. Minute of soda can at 15yds or so.
Gonna get another one and keep it.
It also has a magazine disconnect which is unacceptable to Me in a self defense pistol, if not for that though I could live with one of these, they are a nice size for the pocket but so is a .357 Mag LCR............Hb

My top criteria: reliability, concealability and weight.

What say you?

I've only owned one: a Sig P238. I like it well enough. It feeds with 100% reliability and is accurate. It is, however, on the heavy side for a true pocket pistol. If it were any bigger/heavier I would think it would no longer qualify as such.

I chose the P238 for the simple reason that if I ever found myself in a gun fight, I'd like to be using a gun that I liked shooting. The Sig feels good in my hand and is a pleasure to shoot.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
And also noting that the .380 round is about totally worthless unless you place one or three in a perp's ear.. laugh
I agree 100%..If you knew you were going be in a gun fight that day do you really think you would slide a little .380 in your front pocket and go out the door? and isn't that the reason we carry concealed weapons because that day might come? If it ever happens to me you can bet your azz I won't be packin no weak kneed .380.......Hb
If I KNEW ?? Nobody knows, unless they're planning to be the offender..

But I digress.. You'd be surprised how many times people have used little .22rfs successfully in a self-defense situation.. Anything is better than nothing..

So, curious here, during a nice, hot summer day and you're wearin' a pair of shorts, flip-flops and a muscle-T, just where and how do you hide that Desert Eagle .50??

laugh laugh
So, curious here, during a nice, hot summer day and you're wearin' a pair of shorts, flip-flops and a muscle-T...

I would pray to get shot.
Originally Posted by JOG
So, curious here, during a nice, hot summer day and you're wearin' a pair of shorts, flip-flops and a muscle-T...

Laffin!!!
laugh
The people that put down the 380 have never shot anyone with
one (or anything else). People that have get results One Shot
stopping data) that place it with a 38 special yet no one
mocks that choice. somting to think about.

everybody can see what i'm packing when i wear shorts
Originally Posted by hawkins

Well IF you believe M&S "one-shot-stop" data, IIRC the .380 comes in about the same as .38 spl round nose. Plenty of people criticizing that load - including me.
Originally Posted by JOG

OUTstanding!!!!
I would have to be already dead to be seen in an outfit like that!
Originally Posted by Seminole39

everybody can see what i'm packing when i wear shorts
The chicks all say "nothing". Guess whatever it is it's well concealed.
[quote=VaHillbilly][quote=Redneck]

So, curious here, during a nice, hot summer day and you're wearin' a pair of shorts, flip-flops and a muscle-T, just where and how do you hide that Desert Eagle .50??

laugh laugh
I like to carry My Old 2" dull blade Boyscout knife from when I was a kid cause just like you say anything is better than nothing, I figure a dull 2" knife blade will do as much or more damage than a useless .380 grin.............Hb
I am kinda new to carry weapons but I just picked up a Sig P238. Awesome little gun. Fits perfect in my hands. Small enough to carry in pocket or IWB. It will make a great carry gun.
ruger lcp
Loving my S&W Bodyguard 380. Disappears in my front pocket with a DeSantis Nemesis holster. Way more accurate than a pocket pistol should be. Great sights and ergos, and feels much stouter than a Ruger LCP. About 800 rounds through it without a burp. Been a bitchin' ride so far...
Do alot of guys shoot these mini autos single shot?
Do alot of guys shoot these mini autos single shot?

single shot? as opposed to? double tap?
Make the first one count!

That said in a gun battle?
I'm going to shoot to keep a perp down.

I like the armoured car driver who was attacked between doors in a bank,
He turned firing six shots in something like 1.5 seconds.

Hit the perp from the knee to the top of his forehead, with every shot.
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

I like the armoured car driver who was attacked between doors in a bank,
He turned firing six shots in something like 1.5 seconds.

Hit the perp from the knee to the top of his forehead, with every shot.
SWEET BABY!!!

He'd give Doug Koenig a run for his money.. laugh laugh
I like to carry My Old 2" dull blade Boyscout knife from when I was a kid cause just like you say anything is better than nothing, I figure a dull 2" knife blade will do as much or more damage than a useless .380 grin.............Hb

Good point.. smile

Ever seen one of these?

[Linked Image]

Self-opening sheath - excellent as an alternate form of self-defense when you're in a place that does not allow a firearm..

[Linked Image]

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but the mention of a knife above reminded me of this little tool.. I have this on my belt when I'm on the Harley..
Guess my question about single-shooting a mini was regarding the magazine disconnect thing. Seems some don't like the feature, but I'm trying to understand why a guy would want to shoot one without the mag in place anyway. Perhaps he's emptied and tries to slip one in across the follower?
Somebody clue me in as to why mag disconnect is such a bad thing.
If you can't figure that one out on your own there's no need in me trying to explain it............Hb

Good point.. smile

Ever seen one of these?

[Linked Image]

Self-opening sheath - excellent as an alternate form of self-defense when you're in a place that does not allow a firearm..

[Linked Image]

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but the mention of a knife above reminded me of this little tool.. I have this on my belt when I'm on the Harley..
very cool! I need one of these Myself.............Hb
S&W 640

Well I have shot 380's and they are crap in terminal performance and if you believe that BS spewed by Marshall & Sanow, then I have some beautiful oceanfront property in Utah that you may be interested in
Anyone carry a S&W 637? Just wondering.

ddj

That there is funny! grin

Please refer to the thread's title. If you ever have to shoot it from the pocket, you'll want a revolver, preferably hammerless or shrouded.

I'm going to go out on a limb and just guess that you carry a .380...probably even as a primary gun.
Now my curiosity is up. What is the down side of magazine disconnect? I could be the only fella at the fire that doesn't unnerstand it, but I'm not too proud to be educated. Seriously asking here. Someone explain please?
Now my curiosity is up. What is the down side of magazine disconnect? I could be the only fella at the fire that doesn't unnerstand it, but I'm not too proud to be educated. Seriously asking here. Someone explain please?

I'll answer your question.

It's because in the event that your magazine fell (plenty of mag release buttons get bumped by the shooter under duress, or during pocket carry) or was removed from the gun, the gun would be rendered useless. You wouldn't even be able to fire the single shot in the chamber, assuming a hot chamber in the first place.
Many police agencies like the magazine disconnect because at one time most police officers were shot with their own weapon. With the disconnect if an officer is in danger of having the weapon taken away, dropping the magazine renders the weapon somewhat safe. The military won't buy weapons with a magazine disconnect as a single shot is better than no shots.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Many police agencies like the magazine disconnect because at one time most police officers were shot with their own weapon. With the disconnect if an officer is in danger of having the weapon taken away, dropping the magazine renders the weapon somewhat safe. The military won't buy weapons with a magazine disconnect as a single shot is better than no shots.

I understand both schools of thought on disconnects. For my purposes though, I prefer my guns NOT have one.
Ruger LCR

NB
So, what all guns have the hated magazine disconnect? Seems some pretty popular guns have them. Some even with a better reputation than Ruger have them.
Any actual confirmed instances where the MD caused a civilian, or a LEO, to be killed or worse?
I have carried a Kahr Mk9 in my right hand pocket since they were introduced. When I don't carry the Kahr I carry a Walther TPH and still feel well prepared. It is deadly accurate.
Do yourself a favor and check out the s&w bodyguard. 380, it's reliable, thin and light. Recoil isn't anything. Shot 200 rounds in about 25 min and didn't fail and didn't hurt the hand. Comes with a laser too
Thanks for the suggestions. I saw a lot of mentions of Kahr and S&W. As I noted earlier, I already have an MK-9 Elite as well as a 642. Great guns, and there are times when I carry each, but they're not right for every occasion -- and I don't consider either optimal as a true "pocket" gun.

So... I bit on an LCP today. My friendly nearby Cabela's had them on a doorbuster sale this morning as a kit (two mags, a soft case and a blackhawk No. 3 pocket holster)for 319.00. Throwing $50 in points toward it sweetened the deal further.

Looking forward to feeding this tiny beast and seeing how it performs... although I'll probably get a couple of Pearce mag extensions for just a bit more purchase on the grip. They look a little more functional than the single Ruger extension that came in the box.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am currently going back and forth between:
1) the LCP [ loaded with 1100 fps 90 gr Gold Dot] with laser in the shirt pocket
2) PF9 [loaded with 100 gr Hinterberger +P+] in the coat pocket.

If I visit that hive of scum and villainy [Seattle] I carry a 45 in one pocket and a 9mm in the other.
KW, Thinking you're gonna like that LCP---even though it has the much hated MD.
Sorry for booging your thread earlier. However, I learned some things from it and the other thread. Learned that the percieved evils of MD is minimal, but come resale time it'd be easier to hawk a non-MD handgun because of the rumoured evils. Sorta like the Push Feed vs. CRF schools of thought. (Anybody have any proof of anyone actually getting stomped because a PF rifle failed to feed? Doubtful.)
But in the world of handguns it seems to be common thinking that one round in the pipe that will go bang is better than a disabled gun. Just wondering where the spare rounds are being carried if the magazine is already dropped/lost/stolen. Suppose I should carry my Glock (concealed of course) with a spare mag or two and a pocketful of loose rounds so it'll still be functional single fire when I lose my magazines?
Just funnin here.
Congrats on your new toy/tool. Betting that if you ever send it down the road it won't be because of the Magazine Disconnect.
Yes, it's been an interesting thread. If I really wanted to stir the pot I'd challenge everyone to post their top choice in a self defense load -- and prove why it's the best -- for each of the common self defense calibers. That argument could go on for years, but it's an important one.

After all, it's the bullet that really gets the job done. I think I'll do a little testing with Hornady's Critical Defense 380 load for starters... I've been watching quite a few test videos lately and was surprised to see how often certain highly touted JHPs plug up with clothing material and fail to expand... or how often Rem Golden Sabers shed their jackets (despite having a great street reputation)... etc.

The more you study all the studies and analyze all the variables, ad infinitum, the more you're drawn full circle to the timeless wisdom of old Wyatt: Accuracy is everything.
Desert Eagle

Micro desert eagle that is.
Failed a few times in first 100 rounds but flawless since even after slide cracked. Magnum Research customer service was excellent in repairing under warranty. After 1,ooo rounds thru it now, have no issues relying on it. Much more solid feel than LCP's and Keltec's.
442, but if I were to get another, I probably would lean toward the 642 to negate finish issues.

[Linked Image]

Not for pocket carry, but approaching nirvana. A 3913 and Milt Sparks:
[Linked Image]
Taurus TCP or CW 9.
After working on my P238 - strengthening the recoil spring and reducing the excessive extractor tension, it got through 50 rounds with no failures. Much more testing is required, but that's way better then it was doing smile It's looking promising after all smile
Taurus 85 Ultra Lite .38spc if it's jacket weather.NAA .22mag mini revolver if it's T shirt weather.
The LCP does NOT have a magazine disconnect feature.
Ruger 380, Kahr CW9,40,45

The Kahr CW's will slip under your belt with the muzzle in your watch pocket...
I've got a keltec P3AT, kahr CM9, and a springfield XD subcompact. I carry the keltec 90% of the time and its in my front pocket. And its very reliable.
41mag is correct, LCP has no magazine disconnect. I have run about 250 rounds thru mine with out a glich, including some of my handloads. Point and shoot is excellent, accuracy is very good for a small gun. There's a reason Ruger took over 40,000 orders for them the year they were introduced at the Shot Show!
The 380 was a common police and military round in Europe for many years, and probably still is in many countries. No, not the best defense round, but can't always conceal the 1911 too well! To call the 380 worthless is taking it a bit too far, IMO
DiamondBack DB 9
The more I carry and shoot it, the more I like it.
I can forget I have it on me.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74
I have never seen one of these. Looks very good. How's it to shoot? 11oz is less than the LCP I believe. Recoil manageable? Can I ask how much these sell for? Thanks
After checking the LCP weighs in at 9.75 oz
DB9 looks like it may suit the "If Glock would build a single-stack, mini 9...." crowd.
May have to check one out.
I found the LCP would sting the web of my thumb
AND it was only a .380.

I thought the DB might as well, but haven't found that to be the case.
My only modification has been sanding the inside , bottom of the trigger guard. Below the trigger. Mine was rough and irritate my index.

But so did my G 20. Some 240 and then 600 grit smoothed that right up.

I wish the DB would remain open on empty. My only complaint after 5 boxes of reloads.
© 24hourcampfire