Home
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12
Last week my FN Five-Seven blew up causing severe damage to my left hand (I am right handed). There are 6-8 pieces of shrapnel deep in my thumb and palm area which severed the nerves to my thumb and a portion of my palm. Surgery is required in an attempt to repair the hand by harvesting tissue from my leg. Wish me luck.

The �explosion� occurred on the last round of a 30 round mag loaded with the factory 40gr v-max stuff. On this particular day I only had three loaded magazines (70 rounds total) with me for the Five-Seven but had several other handguns to shoot after the Five-Seven. I began with a 20 round mag loaded with hand loads, then a 20 round mag loaded with factory ammo and finished with the 30 round mag with factory ammo. It was the very last round of 5.7x28 in my immediate possession that ruined my day ��. and a whole lot more!!

I have fired (600-700 rounds) both factory and hand loads through the pistol with zero issues since purchasing new in 2/2011. There are reports of the Five-Seven firing out of battery (OOB) which appears to be the case here but I am no weapons forensics expert. I am not a novice to shooting, handguns or reloading and have 20+ years of extensive experience with shooting and reloading.

I have been completely straightforward with FNH (i.e. Browning) so will now wait and see how they respond.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gmoats Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12
Well this should start a defecation blizzard around the Campfire!!

Sorry to hear about your injury but glad that it wasn't worse, Fair Chase.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12
I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. I can also tell you, coming from someone that has blown up a few guns myself, you will never be able to approach a gun that you are going to shoot without the thought of what just happened to you.

My best regards...
I, too am SO Sorry that his happened to you. If it were me, the whole story would have come from a redacted version from a personal injury attorney,period. I have tried to play nice nice a couple of times with auto insurers and got screwed each time. No more.

Please do keep us posted on your injuries and recovery!

Also, please put this in the general campfire here so that mroe people see it and read it.

I have been wanting one of these but could only afford the poor mans version so far i.e. the PMR30. Some of the early PMR30's had top strap failures early on but Kel Tech fixed the problems and even if one did come unglued no serious injuries have been reported as the operating pressures of 22WMR ammo are a LOT lower than those of the 5.7 round.

Wow, this is quite the KaBoom, amigo. I really do hope you get full use of your off hand back with no residual issues, as well as some real spending cash form FN for your pain and hardships.

MARK

PS Don't let them give you an A-Bolt as part of a settelment smile
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12

My gawd!

Glad you didn't take any shrapnel to the eyes.

- Tom
Posted By: 5sdad Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12
Hope you get a complete recovery.
Wow, that's awful. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. Let us know how this one turns out, I'm anxious to hear. What is the precedent in an incident like this? Can you hold FN liable?
Posted By: Outcast Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12
This was factory ammo that detonated?

O
Posted By: Esox357 Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12
I hope it works out but if you were using ammo you handloaded they are probably off the hook? I hope thats not the case. I hope you make a full recovery.
Holy Schit!

Hope your hand will be able to mend well.

Those little rounds operate at around 50K psi. you can see the destruction of the pistol is a lot more dramatic than typical KBs from mainstream handgun fodder (9mm, 40, 45, etc.)
I wonder if the added weight of that optical sight changed the operating dynamics?
Best wishes on your recovery.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Best wishes on your recovery.
+1
Posted By: jwp475 Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/21/12

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery with the best possible outcome
Originally Posted by OUTCAST

O

I sincerely hope you regain full use of your left hand.

With that said, was it a reload or factory ammo that caused the catastrophic failure?

Additionally, I would most definitely let an attorney do ANY further communicating with Browning.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. I can also tell you, coming from someone that has blown up a few guns myself, you will never be able to approach a gun that you are going to shoot without the thought of what just happened to you.

My best regards...

It will be interesting. Probably start with the P22 :-)
Sorry to hear about your injury but boy did the sucker blow up.
Originally Posted by safariman
I, too am SO Sorry that his happened to you. If it were me, the whole story would have come from a redacted version from a personal injury attorney,period. I have tried to play nice nice a couple of times with auto insurers and got screwed each time. No more.

Please do keep us posted on your injuries and recovery!

Also, please put this in the general campfire here so that mroe people see it and read it.

I have been wanting one of these but could only afford the poor mans version so far i.e. the PMR30. Some of the early PMR30's had top strap failures early on but Kel Tech fixed the problems and even if one did come unglued no serious injuries have been reported as the operating pressures of 22WMR ammo are a LOT lower than those of the 5.7 round.

Wow, this is quite the KaBoom, amigo. I really do hope you get full use of your off hand back with no residual issues, as well as some real spending cash form FN for your pain and hardships.

MARK

PS Don't let them give you an A-Bolt as part of a settelment smile

Thanks Mark. I will probably regret not starting with an injury lawyer but I still hope for the best in people. I also have a PMR30 that suffered a case rupture but that was a mosquito fart compared to this. Kel-Tec has gone through a few revisions with the PMR30 and I think they finally have it corrected. I really liked my Five-Seven and was sad to see its destruction. That will be one gun I will never forget even if I tried.

O

A factory round was the last round the pistol fired.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I wonder if the added weight of that optical sight changed the operating dynamics?

The Burris FF II was on the pistol since day one and the pistol operated fine up to this point.
Nice. blew up a kimber cdpII custom 5 years ago. welcome to the club. the aluminum frame absorbed most of the energy rather than my hand.
Posted By: Chaser1 Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/22/12
Make note of the ammo lot # and keep it seperate ,it maybecome an issue. i've had factory ammo that would not chamber,so the fault could have been with a bad rd. ~~Chaser1
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

O

A factory round was the last round the pistol fired.

You have a paycheck coming in the form of a settlement, either through Browning or the ammunition company or possibly both.

Get an attorney; it's not too late.
Posted By: Savuti Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/22/12
Quick! Somebody pass me a glass of Kool Aid!

Seriously, hope you make a full recovery.

Pete
Posted By: Eremicus Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/22/12
What handload were you using ? E
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What handload were you using ? E

Sorry, I will not post my loads.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/22/12
Oh ? And why is that ? Don't you want us to know what to avoid ? E

There is nothing to be avoided. My many loads for the 5.7x28 are safe, reliable and proven. The last 50 rounds fired were factory SS197. I have not and will post any detailed information that is not relavant to my initial post. When this is all said and done, PM me and I will share my load data with you.
Posted By: deflave Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/23/12
I think you're handling this whole situation like a standup guy, Fair Chase.

Best of luck to you man.

Travis

He just did! From the looks of that picture I'd avoid the 5.7X28! grin

Travis
Posted By: EWY Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/23/12
While I have not followed the Five Seven it is the first I had heard of them firing OOB. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Ernie
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/23/12
what brand is the reflex sight?
Is it still working?
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

The Burris FF II was on the pistol since day one and the pistol operated fine up to this point.

Posted By: ColsPaul Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/23/12
Good ad for them, if it can still work!
contemplating one for my G20..
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

It appears to still work. I have another on a PMR30. Maybe I can get an endorsement deal from Burris?

Surgery scheduled for Feb 27 with a hand surgeon. Will require removing nerve tissue from the lower calf area to repair the severed nerves to the thumb and outside palm area.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/23/12
I was wondering what load he used because of another thread we saw not long ago with another blown 5.7. That guy was also using handloads. Handloads which are not listed in any of the loading data that I am aware of.
Is this the same guy ?
Was he using the same load or something like it ?
Did the handloads damage the gun to where it came apart, even if it didn't come apart with his handloads ?
How about the 30 rd., non stock magazine ? Can that affect the functioning of the gun ?
I'm suspicious of this whole post. He's quite willing to tell us about it, but not the loads used. In spite of the fact that he has already admited to using handloads and admited to firing something like 70 rds. in 5-7 mins.
On top of all this, he's posting this on the internet as he's claiming damages. E
Well, he's been posting here for some time. So if he became a member in 2009 in order to establish credibility once he unleashed his diabolical-exploding-handgun-get-rich-quick-plan, that would make him one calculating SOB. If that were the case, he may be better suited for the destruction of Superman, than marketing terrorism.

I think he has been very frank about the entire ordeal and has disclosed plenty of information about it. It is not unlikely that somebody may have advised him not to give any further technical information. If he doesn't feel comfortable posting anything more about it, I don't see the problem.

Do you have the link to the other blown 5.7? Because I really do still want one of these.

I know you have one E, and I know you like it. I don't think anybody is saying they are junk. Just that this one may have fired OOB and came un-[bleep]'-glued!

Travis
Posted By: Clarkm Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/24/12
Did a case shear in half leaving the case neck in the chamber and the next round try to chamber, but fire out of battery?

I am not familiar with this pistol, but usually there is a block on the firing pin so that will not happen.

SKSs have slam fired with grease on the firing pin.
I was wondering what load he used because of another thread we saw not long ago with another blown 5.7. That guy was also using handloads. Handloads which are not listed in any of the loading data that I am aware of.
Is this the same guy ?
Did the handloads damage the gun to where it came apart, even if it didn't come apart with his handloads ?
How about the 30 rd., non stock magazine ? Can that affect the functioning of the gun ?
I'm suspicious of this whole post. He's quite willing to tell us about it, but not the loads used. In spite of the fact that he has already admited to using handloads and admited to firing something like 70 rds. in 5-7 mins.
On top of all this, he's posting this on the internet as he's claiming damages. E

Amazing how people are are judgemental, assumptive and suspicious. I understand how the internet world we live has altered how we interact and in this case how many have false assumptions regarding my factual post. Based on your comments, you know more than I do about the incident and what I am doing. If your public questions/challenges are genuine, how about sending a PM with your questions??

Marty
Marty,

Eremicus continues to display an aggressive, pervasive ignorance no matter the forum. Normally his stupidity is contained on the Optics Forum where he makes value judgements about rifle scopes he's never held or looked through. Ignore his foolish, boorish behavior; he's a moron of the lowest order.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/24/12
Is this the same guy ?

Settle down Beavis....
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/24/12
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

It appears to still work. I have another on a PMR30. Maybe I can get an endorsement deal from Burris?

Surgery scheduled for Feb 27 with a hand surgeon. Will require removing nerve tissue from the lower calf area to repair the severed nerves to the thumb and outside palm area.

Hope all goes well, Monday.
Better than mine, I still can't use my left hand correctly and my middle finger is almost .5 inches shorter!

Posted By: Barkoff Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/26/12
Is this the same guy ?

Did I misread? I thought he stated the firearm blew on the last round of his second magazine of factory ammo. I do tend to misread, maybe I need to go back again.

To the OP, good luck with that left hand.
Originally Posted by deflave
I think you're handling this whole situation like a standup guy, Fair Chase.

Best of luck to you man.

Travis

I agree completely. Best of luck on your recovery, Fair Chase.

Travis

Oh, man. That was soooo mean!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/26/12
No, Fair Chase. I'm asking my questions on a public forum where you started this discussion.
You answer only those questions which suit you, but not all of them. Some you say you'll answer, but only in a PM. How come ?
Why did you tell us about this incident at all ? When I asked for the details of your handloads, which may help the rest of us avoid such a problem, you refuse to give us that information. Again, no reason given. And then you can't understand why I'm suspicious of your motives.
I wish you a full recovery from your inuries. E
No, Fair Chase. I'm asking my questions on a public forum where you started this discussion.
You answer only those questions which suit you, but not all of them. Some you say you'll answer, but only in a PM. How come ?
Why did you tell us about this incident at all ? When I asked for the details of your handloads, which may help the rest of us avoid such a problem, you refuse to give us that information. Again, no reason given. And then you can't understand why I'm suspicious of your motives.

You have issues.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/27/12

Wow, Perry Frigging Mason.

When I asked for the details of your handloads, which may help the rest of us avoid such a problem.... E

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem. He was using FACTORY AMMO when the pistol kaboomed, dood. Re-read the original post and the subsequent posts on pages 1 and 2 of this thread. On second thought, don't bother. If you didn't get it the first time...

You apparently reallyreallyREALLY want to keep reloading for this round and this pistol, even though it scares the bejabbers out of you to do so.
Regardless of the virtues (or demons) of the cartridge, it's kind of scary the gun can shatter so violently when a case blows.
Posted By: RJM Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/27/12
Anyone know the standard operating pressure of the 5.7...being a bottle neck rifle case much like a .221 Fireball it has to be well above most standard handgun cartridges. I've been present when two Glock 9mm went KaBoom but neither caused any damage to the gun or shooter. A friend with a .40 split the frame causing some cuts on his hands. Glock replaced the gun no questions asked. I've blown the webs on 3 Supers over the years but the worst thing that happened was cracked grips panels....

Bob

Some interesting information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/archive/index.php_f-11.html

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/08/31/longgun_reviews_st_fnsfirepower_200811/
Posted By: deflave Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/27/12
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Travis

Oh, man. That was soooo mean!

Note the smiley. I'm still buying one. grin

Travis
Fine. Be that guy. Just don't blow your hand up, ya goober.
I've lived this long being "that guy". I shall continue to march sir.

Although, that pistol has to be one of the worst looking KB's I've ever seen.

Travis
Well, whaddya expect when you shoot a round that generates rifle-type pressures in a pistol-type frame/chamber? Yeesh!!
Posted By: W7ACT Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/27/12
Good luck on the surgery today. I hope it all works out and you regain full use of your left hand.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/27/12
Yes, Doc, I read what he claimed, i.e. that the gun came apart with a factory round. I asked about the handloads he also mentioned using the same day. For some reason, he refuses to tell us what those handloads were. E
Operating pressues for the 5.7 FN roiund are in the 45,000 psi range. Which is higher than any other standard semi auto round.
The reloading data I've seen indicates it's a very critical round to hand load for.
The only other known instances of this gun coming apart were both with handloaded ammo. This makes three guns out of many thousands that have had no problems.
This guy says that it came apart with factory ammo, but also says he was using handloads a few minutes prior. Considering the nature of this round, I was curious as to what his handloads were. Could they have weakend the gun if they were too hot ? Even well made rifles have had this problem, let alone handguns. That's why we have the proof testing standards and procedures. No, I don't know how that is done with this pistol. Anybody know ? E
Yeah, and he said he won't answer publicly until everything is sorted out. We can read.

I for one appreciate the post, and I don't blame him one bit for not posting any technical info.

Travis
You appreciate the post ? Why ? I find it raising questions about the issue of the gun's safety by implying that it's will blow up with factory ammo. However, there seem to be other factors involved. But we can't be sure because he won't tell us the rest of the story.
If he thinks by with holding any more information, he will not risk loosing his claim(s) for damages, it's too late for that. E
You appreciate the post ? Why ? I find it raising questions about the issue of the gun's safety by implying that it's will blow up with factory ammo. However, there seem to be other factors involved. But we can't be sure because he won't tell us the rest of the story.
If he thinks by with holding any more information, he will not risk loosing his claim(s) for damages, it's too late for that. E

It's too late to claim damages? Ok Matlock. Thanks for the free legal advice.

Why do I appreciate the post? Because based on my experience it appears the weapon could have fired OOB. Olympic put out some rifles that fired OOB and I was quite thankful the owner of three, shared that information prior to my purchasing one of those pieces of schit. Additionally, if FN claims the use of the aftermarket site resulted in the weapon firing OOB, I would find that information beneficial.

Now, I am not saying I won't buy a 5.7X28 as a result of this post, but I am thankful for it being brought to my attention regardless and I hope we can learn of it's final outcome.

Does that make sense, or shall I break out the crayon font?

Travis
My point was that he has already admiting to using handloads in it. That alone may well invaladate any claim for damages.
While firing out of battery is one possibility, use of improper ammo is certainly another.
If it has a firing out of battery problem, how come no other cases have come forth ?
So, like you, I want to know more. E
Posted By: deflave Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/28/12
My point was that he has already admiting to using handloads in it. That alone may well invaladate any claim for damages.
While firing out of battery is one possibility, use of improper ammo is certainly another.
If it has a firing out of battery problem, how come no other cases have come forth ?
So, like you, I want to know more. E

And he told you quite plainly you can PM him. So why don't you take that route?

Travis
Hope you heal quickly and well !

There is a whole website devoted to the 5.7x28.

There is a lot of knowledge there and also some fanatics (don't remind them that a K Hornet is faster)

Owned a PS 90 and managed to actually mount a 6X Leupold Alaskan on it. It was just a straight blowback, quite accurate and a fun shooter. Quite expensive to shoot and, except for a bigger magazine, could not match up to a basic AR 223 carbon fiber carbine.

Any rifle or handgun (except a properly timed revolver) can discharge out of battery if it has a mechanical issue or is not well maintained.

IMHO the 5.7 really has no application that cannot be met better by many other rifles/shotguns/handguns. Interesting, but so was the 5mm Remington.
Surgery went well yesterday. Repaired the severed nerves and removed most of the schrapnel. It will be a few weeks until it is determined to what degree the surgery was successful.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/28/12
Some threads don't need pics. grin

Hope they fixed ya'.

Travis
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/28/12
rub a little maiden oil into that and it'll be fine in the morning.
All indications and the picture showed a factory round fired out of battery.
That is a clear indication of a gun design that can fire before lock up.
A little carbon in the chamber or any other reason to stop a round from chambering should never go off---PERIOD, the gun should stop. Does it have a floating pin that rammed forward when the round stopped?
Fair chase suffered a sever injury either from a factory round with a proud primer or a gun failure and I will stick with him 100%.
You can plainly see only half the case is in the chamber.
Fair Chase, I wish the best for you. Don't listen to a few that can't see what is in plain view.
Posted By: Boococky Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 02/28/12

Originally Posted by bfrshooter
All indications and the picture showed a factory round fired out of battery.
That is a clear indication of a gun design that can fire before lock up.
A little carbon in the chamber or any other reason to stop a round from chambering should never go off---PERIOD, the gun should stop. Does it have a floating pin that rammed forward when the round stopped?
Fair chase suffered a sever injury either from a factory round with a proud primer or a gun failure and I will stick with him 100%.
You can plainly see only half the case is in the chamber.
Fair Chase, I wish the best for you. Don't listen to a few that can't see what is in plain view.

Ditto! wink

And OUCH!!!! sick
dang. that makes me hurt just looking at it.
FAIR CHASE:

Thank you for posting that most instructive photo of your injured hand. I now have more precise understanding of your injury. Please keep us informed how your healing progresses and how the companies involved respond to these events, as well as the results of investigation of the failure which caused all the fuss. I know two friends who had been planning on buying an FN FiveSeven. Their plans are on hold, pending lots more information, thanks to my telling them about your injury and the pistol's destruction that caused the injury.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/08/12
Glad to hear that FC. Modern medicine is really good these days. E
Posted By: Eremicus Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/08/12
You can plainly see from photographs tha the gun fired out of battery ? That's because the case partially protrudes ?
Oh sure.
Was the gun previously damaged by the handloads he used ? Tell us, of Wise One, does the picture tell us that too ?
How come all the thousands of other guns out there haven't come apart from factory ammo ? That gun and it's ammo have been out there what, 10-15 yrs. And the only problems so far have been from handloads. Now we have some believing that this is a factory ammo disaster. And our experts can see positve proof from a photograph. Sorry guys, I don't buy that kind of arm chair analysis. E
Posted By: JOG Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/08/12
Surgery went well yesterday. Repaired the severed nerves and removed most of the schrapnel. It will be a few weeks until it is determined to what degree the surgery was successful.

[Linked Image]

Hey, I wanna see the wound - move the pork chop outta the way.
Posted By: deflave Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/08/12
You can plainly see from photographs tha the gun fired out of battery ? That's because the case partially protrudes ?
Oh sure.
Was the gun previously damaged by the handloads he used ? Tell us, of Wise One, does the picture tell us that too ?
How come all the thousands of other guns out there haven't come apart from factory ammo ? That gun and it's ammo have been out there what, 10-15 yrs. And the only problems so far have been from handloads. Now we have some believing that this is a factory ammo disaster. And our experts can see positve proof from a photograph. Sorry guys, I don't buy that kind of arm chair analysis. E

I'm glad you keep posting, because your opinion on this subject has been a real gray area for us.

Travis
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/08/12
LOL

[Linked Image]

Glad surgery went well! I hope the nerve function returns.

ddj
Posted By: jimmyp Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/08/12
Oh sure.

I will never own one. Wish the OP good luck with his recovery. I had thought up to this point it was just a stupidly expensive 22 magnum center fire. Now its a stupidly expensive POS that also is about the same as a 22 magnum center fire.
Posted By: deflave Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/08/12
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Oh sure.

I will never own one. Wish the OP good luck with his recovery. I had thought up to this point it was just a stupidly expensive 22 magnum center fire. Now its a stupidly expensive POS that also is about the same as a 22 magnum center fire.

You and E should give seminars on objectivity.

Travis
Posted By: T LEE Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/09/12
I had the back of my hand opened up like that 46 years ago and that picture made it hurt all over again!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: My FN Five-Seven exploded - 03/09/12
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Oh sure.

You and E should give seminars on objectivity.

Travis

you cannot start a proper argument being objective....
© 24hourcampfire