Home
Not legal in Florida, so I wonder what he was thinking.

Young guy in his late twenties, I'd guess. Wearing black SWAT style pants tucked into SWAT style black boots. His rig was a black tactical style belt and holster, containing a service sized Glock. He wore a gray tucked in T-shirt that said Special Operations on it. He was about 6'2" and athletic. Looked very much the SWAT type, and seemed stable and unconcerned about being seen open carrying. Oddly, though, I was the only person who noticed, and when I passed him within just a few feet, I intentionally let him know I thought it was odd he was carrying like that by looking inquisitively at his Glock. When he noticed that, he seemed to quicken his pace in collecting the produce he was looking for and moved away at a good clip. I saw the produce manager there and asked him if he knew why that guy was openly carrying a sidearm. He said he didn't see him, but he figured he must have a license or he wouldn't be doing it. I informed him that Florida has no legal open carry. At that he seemed a bit troubled, but not enough to call the cops. I finished my shopping and left.

Anybody know what Special Operations refers to? I figure it's some kind of law, but he was not wearing a uniform or a badge, so the law says he's not supposed to carry openly like that. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Florida permitting that, as I favor legal open carry as an option, off duty cop, or anyone else.
Even where legal it's just asking for trouble. Open carry clearly upsets many people. Why OC unless you are just asking for trouble to find you?
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
Even where legal it's just asking for trouble. Open carry clearly upsets many people. Why OC unless you are just asking for trouble to find you?
Hell, if it were legal in Florida, I'd have started up a conversation about it with him. But seeing that it's not legal in Florida, I was a little concerned about it, and was glad I had my Kahr P9 on.
It's legal in NH, though you don't see a lot of folks carrying in that manner. It's too easy to get a concealed carry permit I suppose (hopefully the need to do even that will be gone this year).

I don't care for open carry as I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I could care less if someone else does so. If schit breaks bad and someone is carrying open, that's where the attention will be.

I'm surprised, though, that open carry isn't legal in Florida.

George
I'd say you saw one of two possible situations....

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.
Originally Posted by NH K9
It's legal in NH, though you don't see a lot of folks carrying in that manner. It's too easy to get a concealed carry permit I suppose (hopefully the need to do even that will be gone this year).

I don't care for open carry as I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I could care less if someone else does so. If schit breaks bad and someone is carrying open, that's where the attention will be.

George
It was legal even without a license, and in fact part of our state constitution, until about 1980, when they introduced state-wide shall issue concealed carry, part of which was an amendment to the state constitution eliminating the right of open carry, and the license forbids open carry.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.
The guy looked so clean cut and "legitimate." Could mean nothing, of course.

What's "Special Operations?"
Politics......

I long for the day of simple, Nation-wide carry. No permits, no bullchit. Maybe in my son's lifetime.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.

It could be any number of things, though an off-duty SRT/SWAT type would make sense.

K9 is, technically, "special operations" (we're really special according to some of our detractors). No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.
No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.
Maybe I should have drawn on him. laugh
Well...

There's "Special Operations" and then there's "Special Operations".

The real Spec Ops refers to a wide branch within the military that includes PsyOps, SOAR, Green Berets, SEALS, Delta, PJ's and the likes. Special Operations are not to be confused with Special Forces though. Green Berets, SEALS, and Delta are all Special Forces, where PsyOps and SOAR are Special Operations. IOW, Special Operations are highly trained, specialized military units that strictly and specifically support the Special Forces.

That said, they don't go around wearing t-shirts that state "Special Forces" on them. You might see one wearing a unit shirt, but nothing like what you described.

You saw some dude that picked up a cheap t-shirt to wear about.

Decerning if he was a LEO or a whack-job might be harder to do, as I can honestly see either wearing such a shirt....
If he wasn't wearing jack boots, it's a clue he isn't a cop.
Probably special unit LEO who just got done with training and needed to pick something up at the store. I have done it myself after instructing on the range. I carry with badge next to gun, but if he was doing PT or something and didn't want to risk damaging his badge he may have left it in his ride.
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
Probably special unit LEO who just got done with training and needed to pick something up at the store. I have done it myself after instructing on the range. I carry with badge next to gun, but if he was doing PT or something and didn't want to risk damaging his badge he may have left it in his ride.

That was my first thought...

It would have been either that, or a whack job.

I'd lean more to the idea that it was a LEO, but the whack job is a certain possibility, with a decent level of likelihood....
Not legal in Florida, so I wonder what he was thinking.

Young guy in his late twenties, I'd guess. Wearing black SWAT style pants tucked into SWAT style black boots. His rig was a black tactical style belt and holster, containing a service sized Glock. He wore a gray tucked in T-Shirt that said Special Operations on it. He was about 6'2" and athletic. Looked very much the SWAT type, and seemed stable and unconcerned about being seen open carrying. Oddly, though, I was the only person who noticed, and when I passed him within just a few feet, I intentionally let him know I thought it was odd he was carrying like that by looking inquisitively at his Glock. When he noticed that, he seemed to quicken his pace in collecting the produce he was looking for and moved away at a good clip. I saw the produce manager there and asked him if he knew why that guy was openly carrying a sidearm. He said he didn't see him, but he figured he must have a license or he wouldn't be doing it. I informed him that Florida has no legal open carry. At that he seemed a bit troubled, but not enough to call the cops. I finished my shopping and left.

Anybody know what Special Operations refers to? I figure it's some kind of law, but he was not wearing a uniform or a badge, so the law says he's not supposed to carry openly like that. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Florida permitting that, as I favor legal open carry as an option, off duty cop, or anyone else.

The reason he was movin away from you at "a good clip" was because you were bent over looking at his waist "inquisitively". Probaly not into that... grin

Dink
....or he is a typical poser "bounty hunter".

I would not be surprised if the T-shirt under his shirt did not say "AGENT".
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
....or he is a typical poser "bounty hunter".

I would not be surprised if the T-shirt under his shirt did not say "AGENT".
No outer shirt. Just the T-Shirt.
Pretty enthralling story.

Travis
There is a group here in Michigan that almost seem to be pushing the open carry down everyone elses throat.

I just dont get why?
It is legal here but we also have liberalized CCW in the last 10 years

Hank
Guessing if he was LEO he would have told you so or even offered to show ID ... wouldn't that be weird ... GI JOE
I open carry while on my own property , hunting , fishing , or camping.

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.

It could be any number of things, though an off-duty SRT/SWAT type would make sense.

K9 is, technically, "special operations" (we're really special according to some of our detractors). No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.

You wouldn't have had the balls...
I believe I recall that you're a cop. Out of curiosity, if you were working in a state that didn't have open carry, would you have asked this guy to explain himself?
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I open carry while on my own property , hunting , fishing , or camping.
Florida allows that too, but not otherwise.
Florida? I thought you moved to Idaho..........

I think Chaz Bono had one........
No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.

Did you casually lift your shirt slightly to give him a glimpse of your nun-chucks, then give him the nod?
I believe I recall that you're a cop. Out of curiosity, if you were working in a state that didn't have open carry, would you have asked this guy to explain himself?

If it is against the law I would have a duty to ask, just as if I saw someone selling crack on the sidewalk. If I was off duty and he was doing no harm we are required, by our policies to be a good witness, and call a uniformed officer in to investigate. Even if off duty I might strike up a conversation and see if I can get a feel for whack job or off duty LEO. I'm not much for beating around the bush so I would just ask him, instead of following him around. I don't begrudge anyone carrying and would probably be along the lines of if he likes his gear and what "special unit" he works with. You can get a lot of info just striking up a conversation. Keeps things low key and off the defense.
Originally Posted by PAMac

I think Chaz Bono had one........

LOL

Originally Posted by Barkoff

Did you casually lift your shirt slightly to give him a glimpse of your nun-chucks, then give him the nod?

LOL and then ask, wanna see my special unit?
I'm betting the guy didn't move along at a quicker pace because TRH gave him the hairy eyeball, I'm thinking it was because he could tell TRH is a nut job and wasn't about to listen to some cop wannabe stories.

It also could have been the nunchucks shoved down TRH's pants. Thinking the guy don't like talking to other men with wood.
These guys think they're spec ops , SEALS!

I carry a can of sardines to get their attention.
It's possible the guy was an official something or other but was dressed or carrying outside of policy and got nervous when called on it.
I am thinking he may be LE, but more likely a whacko.....could you tell if he was wearing a vest??? Most LE I know have their vests on if they are carrying open because it attracts undue attention. Also, most of em don't wear gas station T-shirts stating "special ops"

In TN, its legal to carry either way, and I'm all for people having the right to decide, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to attract the attention it does (in public). It is far better to be armed and concealed because if you get into a bad situation, the element of surprise on the bad guy is the advantage IMO
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
It's possible the guy was an official something or other but was dressed or carrying outside of policy and got nervous when called on it.
That's what I think it was.
Originally Posted by Boococky
I am thinking he may be LE, but more likely a whacko.....could you tell if he was wearing a vest??? Most LE I know have their vests on if they are carrying open because it attracts undue attention. Also, most of em don't wear gas station T-shirts stating "special ops"

In TN, its legal to carry either way, and I'm all for people having the right to decide, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to attract the attention it does (in public). It is far better to be armed and concealed because if you get into a bad situation, the element of surprise on the bad guy is the advantage IMO
Clearly no vest.
i've never understood the open carry. maybe it was someone that was proud they had just received their permit, and wanted to try it out.
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
i've never understood the open carry. maybe it was someone that was proud they had just received their permit, and wanted to try it out.
The permit specifically states that open carry is a big no no, and will result in loss of the license and arrest. Recently, an exception was carved into that to allows accidental exposure of the firearm to public view, but that's quite a different thing from this situation.
I think you need to investigate further.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
I think you need to investigate further.

Travis
I'll get right on it.

PS Sorry the discussion is boring you. I wonder if there's anything you could do to prevent being bored by it? Hm, let me think. Let me think.
Quite the contrary. I'm at the edge of my seat.

Travis
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
That's what I think it was.

You called him on it?

Dink
I saw the produce manager there and asked him if he knew why that guy was openly carrying a sidearm.

Zombie fruit?

Are you serious?
Originally Posted by WTM45
I saw the produce manager there and asked him if he knew why that guy was openly carrying a sidearm.

Zombie fruit?

Are you serious?
Not following you.
Like the "produce manager" would know. Damn.
You never know where them dang zombies might be hiding! eek laugh
The permit specifically states that open carry is a big no no, and will result in loss of the license and arrest. Recently, an exception was carved into that to allow accidental exposure of the firearm to public view, but that's quite a different thing from this situation.

I would hope so.....it's concealed only here in MS but they are no where near as anal about it as it sounds like Florida is.......what about vehicles in Florida? Is it supposed to be completely hidden in them too?

Reason I ask is that me and my family are headed down there for vacation Friday and I will be armed as always smile
The permit specifically states that open carry is a big no no, and will result in loss of the license and arrest. Recently, an exception was carved into that to allow accidental exposure of the firearm to public view, but that's quite a different thing from this situation.

I would hope so.....it's concealed only here in MS but they are no where near as anal about it as it sounds like Florida is.......what about vehicles in Florida? Is it supposed to be completely hidden in them too?

Reason I ask is that me and my family are headed down there for vacation Friday and I will be armed as always smile
Yep. Needs to be concealed now. Even in a car.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm betting the guy didn't move along at a quicker pace because TRH gave him the hairy eyeball, I'm thinking it was because he could tell TRH is a nut job and wasn't about to listen to some cop wannabe stories.

It also could have been the nunchucks shoved down TRH's pants. Thinking the guy don't like talking to other men with wood.

That is the most logical answer yet!

Yep. Needs to be concealed now. Even in a car.

Gotcha......I usually keep my stuff pretty well covered up, but sometimes I keep on between me and the console and 1/2 of it can be seen.....just wanna cover my ass. Thanks
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That is the most logical answer yet!
Kindly, don't feed the tolls.
TRH I find your post as you being the troll. I think what steelhead wrote was a toned down nice way to say get a life.

I can only go by what you stated in your orginal post. Going by that my first impression is the guy is some sorta LEO.

If you were truly so concerned why didn't you call 911 on the spot? I have to again believe by your orginal post that you were more intrigued by his open carry then anything else.

5 pages of a bunch of nonsense because you are fishing for some conspereicy theory.
TRH I find your post as you being the troll. I think what steelhead wrote was a toned down nice way to say get a life.

I can only go by what you stated in your orginal post. Going by that my first impression is the guy is some sorta LEO.

If you were truly so concerned why didn't you call 911 on the spot? I have to again believe by your orginal post that you were more intrigued by his open carry then anything else.

5 pages of a bunch of nonsense because you are fishing for some conspereicy theory.
Wow! That's quite a stretch there, junior. You off your meds today?
So why didn't you dial 911 on the spot? You were and still are so concerned.
Make a citizens arrest on him? I don't really care if someone is open carrying or not! Leagal or illegal, I care about their actions, if a guy is acting irrational, nervous, irate, arguing, or making gestures that would cause fear or panic than sure I would care. The guy was shopping in a store doing his own thing. If he was causing a disturbance or another issue than it would be different. If it was that big of deal you should have called the police. I learn not to screw with people unless they screw with me. By you going over to him and looking at him and his weapon you are looking for a problem in my opinion. Not very smart.
Agreed

Wow! That's quite a stretch there, junior. You off your meds today?

little beady eyes in the dark, negroes in pickups, vac sealed shower gun, fluoride, ron paul fanaticism and now suspicious persons practicing open carry in grocery stores.....this schitt just keeps getting funnier all the time! laugh
Originally Posted by Esox357
By you going over to him and looking at him and his weapon you are looking for a problem in my opinion. Not very smart.

Probably a quick glance over the shoulder as he scurried to find the produce manager for comfort...
Originally Posted by Esox357
Make a citizens arrest on him? I don't really care if someone is open carrying or not! Leagal or illegal, I care about their actions, if a guy is acting irrational, nervous, irate, arguing, or making gestures that would cause fear or panic than sure I would care. The guy was shopping in a store doing his own thing. If he was causing a disturbance or another issue than it would be different. If it was that big of deal you should have called the police. I learn not to screw with people unless they screw with me. By you going over to him and looking at him and his weapon you are looking for a problem in my opinion. Not very smart.
Ridiculous characterization.
Originally Posted by eh76
little beady eyes in the dark, negroes in pickups, vac sealed shower gun, fluoride, ron paul fanaticism and now suspicious persons practicing open carry in grocery stores.....this schitt just keeps getting funnier all the time! laugh

I am envious... I don't have a fancy Vacuum Sealer
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Is that you, TM? How do you like the LCR?
Yep

Had to test out my shower zombie preparedness kit somehow....
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
yep
How do you like the LCR?
Yep

Had to test out my shower zombie preparedness kit somehow....
Yep, lots of zombies roaming about. laugh
Our city has a group that is Special Ops, nothing particular spooky about them. They just mostly do vice work and under-cover ops. Mostly civilian casual dress and unmarked units.

No big deal.

If the guy looked the part, I would have taken it for what it was. If he was a whack job, even all the more reason to mind my own beeswax.

How do you like the LCR?

I like my LCR quite a bit. Some folks complain about the trigger, but if you give it enough slack to reset it's really pretty good for double action only revolver. I carry it a lot in a nemesis pocket holster loaded with the Winchester Supreme 130 grain bonded hollow points.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Our city has a group that is Special Ops, nothing particular spooky about them. They just mostly do vice work and under-cover ops. Mostly civilian casual dress and unmarked units.

No big deal.

If the guy looked the part, I would have taken it for what it was. If he was a whack job, even all the more reason to mind my own beeswax.

Oh yeah, I wasn't about to say word one to the guy. However, cops here are required to display a badge when carrying openly.
I like my LCR quite a bit. Some folks complain about the trigger, but if you give it enough slack to reset it's really pretty good for double action only revolver. I carry it a lot in a nemesis pocket holster loaded with the Winchester Supreme 130 grain bonded hollow points.
That's what I was going to ask you, because I'd heard that you need to be careful about fully releasing the trigger after each round with the LCR or it could get caught up. I guess that could be classified as a training issue, though. I generally like the concept.

Also, do you find that recoil flip is less since it's supposed to drive recoil more directly back against your palm than with a J-Frame.?
Yeah it took some getting used to at first to get a feel for where the reset "click" actually is. It certainly is bit later in the trigger release than a normal revolver. The reset happens before its fully released though it is pretty far along. Once I got the hang of that everything has been smooth sailing.

I would say there is less muzzle flip mostly noticeably with really snappy +P stuff. I don't know whether its due where it direct recoil or the softish rubber grips. Either way its comfortable to shoot
Thanks. I think I'll look into one.
T. M. U just supplied him with some new jerkatorium material.

The_Real_Hawkeye Hijacked his own thread!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by rockchucker

Ugh sick
I probably deserved that though for picking on your purity red boots though.
grin
smile

Ugh sick
I probably deserved that though for picking on your purity red boots though.
grin
Kindly don't feed the trolls.
rockchucker isn't a troll....you are dumbass. And don't peek laugh
Wow Bobby I never realized you were a troll...
{Insert sarcastic eyeroll}
maybe that post will earn me my turdlike medal smile.

Have you ever seen the definition of an internet troll? Look it up. It's just a picture of Bobby.

I personally am for carry the way the Constitution seemingly intended-and I see nothing restricting "bearing arms" to either concealed or unconcealed. I further think we should all stick together and that ganging up on our literal "brothers-in-arms" is counter productive. The fact of the matter is that when you see somebody doing something that isn't normally done and hasn't been for a number of years, it gives you pause. That was how I saw what TRH was trying to discuss.
Zombies are everywhere. The walk among us.

[Linked Image]

My boy nailed this Zombie just the other day.
Have you ever seen the definition of an internet troll? Look it up. It's just a picture of Bobby.

yes sir that's me an internet troll. i look forward everyday to just troll on the internet to poke and prod people.

at least i ain't bat schit crazy/paranoid and live in fear all my life.
maybe that post will earn me my turdlike medal smile.

To be turdflike you need to get scathing PMs from at least one well-known troll....

There are other qualifications...check back with me later on that.... grin

[Linked Image]

fill this out and get back to us...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Zombies are everywhere. The walk among us.

[Linked Image]

My boy nailed this Zombie just the other day.
And you can't beat the Nazi zombies. They're the best kind.

yes sir that's me an internet troll. i look forward everyday to just troll on the internet to poke and prod people.

at least i ain't bat schit crazy/paranoid and live in fear all my life.

TRH might be onto something.
You did accuse me of snoring... and I never snore wink
Not to hijack this impressive thread but... laugh

That's what my boy says too. He likes the Nazi zombies the best. He really wanted one of those 3d Zombies that are filled with paint balls and "bleed". We saw them at one gunshow and he couldn't stop talking about them. So I kept looking and finally found some last weekend-$80. If you videoed it and sent them a copy they'd send you a coupon for another free Zombie. I told him that was too high. They're basically a one shootout proposition. I can't bring myself to pay that much for one.
You guys need some ZomBoom

Seriously, you folks need to look up the accepted definition of an internet troll.

No big deal.

as long as the badge is displayed along side the issued firearm
commissioned law enforcement in the county can open carry off duty in plain clothes also

You guys need some ZomBoom

The guy selling them said you could pack the head with some stuff and it would explode. It must have been this stuff.
We shot one of those at Pat's place in Texas. They are fun! I need to find a couple up here. I wonder if there is a hazmat charge to deal with shipping them?

Seriously, you folks need to look up the accepted definition of an internet troll.

We did ....the name Chris came up. Seriously you need to get a life.
Yeah, CY, that looks like the stuff to buy. A guy at my WI gun club had some last summer and he said it was a blast, pyrotechinically and emotionally. Good stuff.

FWIW, the "bleeding zombie" targets on that same website are pretty good in terms of number of hits they'll sustain. They'll be a bit messy to take home if you haven't shot 'em to smithereenies, but that's nothing that a plastic tarp and a cardboard box won't take care of.

For those who want to make their own targets, take a look at this website:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_ps.aspx?searchmode=category&searchcatcontext=~040000~040200

I have used the plastic 3D male torso target ($65 retail) quite a lot in my training and it is DEFINITELY amenable to modification with stuff like bleeding paintballs and the like. Each torso target is good for 300-500 hits (with HP ammo, yet!) depending on how accurately you shoot.
Originally Posted by renegade50

No big deal.

commissioned law enforcement in the county can open carry off duty in plain clothes also

I looked for a badge. He wasn't wearing one.
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but i'm just curious why it bothered you so much. I mean if he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary why go up to them.
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but i'm just curious why it bothered you so much. I mean if he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary why go up to them.
Technically, in Florida, that's a crime. My suspicion, however, was that he was some sort of off duty cop, so I wasn't actually as concerned as you're making out, at least in terms of public safety, even though it would still be a crime in that case. Just wanted to present the facts here for a discussion if anyone was interested.
Here in Liberal southern Wi. I've seen it more than once and I've done it myself without a problem. Before we got a cc law there was guys opening carrying state wide and there wasn't to many problems. Don't understand why anybody that has a gun himself would be bothered by a gun.
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Here in Liberal southern Wi. I've seen it more than once and I've done it myself without a problem. Before we got a cc law there was guys opening carrying state wide and there wasn't to many problems. Don't understand why anybody that has a gun himself would be bothered by a gun.
There aren't any non-criminal avenues in Florida for open carry in public without a policeman's badge on display, so by definition (at the very least) he wasn't quite right. Were there a legal avenue, not only would I be happy to see it, I'd likely have started up a conversation with the guy about it.
TRH, I'm trying not to get jump all over yer azz over this deal, but your persistence in trying to justify your concern/alarm/actions/whatever just begs a good beating.

The ONLY thing you have said that I could agree with in any form is that you were not in Condition White in the grocery store. EVERYTHING you did after you noticed the guy with the gun was at least wrong, if not dumbphuck stupid.

But rather than just being mean, I'll offer you an alternative scenario based on your provisional setting.

Self: Wandering in produce section in Condition Yellow, notices gun on hip of tactically duded-out dude, in clear violation of FL law.

Self's brain: recognizes potential threat, kicks up to Condition Orange. Makes instantaneous decision that this is either a) a bona fide threat or b) not a threat (mall ninja, doofus cop in mufti who forgot he was wearing his gun). Decision: threat or no threat? Your brain knows, based on pattern recognition.

At this point your brain tells you which fork in the road to take. He's either a threat, or not a threat. THERE IS NO THIRD OPTION YOU CAN SAFELY EXPLORE.

If you decide THREAT, Self's brain, eyes, and ears are gonna be gathering and processing information while Self's feet move your sorry ass to a position of cover where you can observe the THREAT and if the situation escalates to Condition Red you can draw Self's sidearm and open fire.

However, if Self's brain decides NON-THREAT, you move on along about your business, maintaining the usual threat awareness of Condition Yellow.

That's it. Nothing more needs to be done. There are no other tactically viable options.

What YOU did was FAIL TO MAKE THE FIRST CRITICAL DECISION IN A POTENTIAL LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. You compounded that failure by actually APPROACHING THE POTENTIAL THREAT!!! I cannot tell you how incredibly dumbphuckitudinal that was! If you were in my recruit class and had done that in a scenario you'd STILL be doing pushups today!!

You NEVER move closer to a potential threat unless you have the ability and opportunity to bring OVERWHELMING FORCE to bear before the threat can move against you.

He is paranoid...everyone is out to get him! bwaaahahahaaaaaa

He thinks the government put fluoride in the drinking water for mind control purposes......
Originally Posted by DocRocket
TRH, I'm trying not to get jump all over yer azz over this deal, but your persistence in trying to justify your concern/alarm/actions/whatever just begs a good beating.

The ONLY thing you have said that I could agree with in any form is that you were not in Condition White in the grocery store. EVERYTHING you did after you noticed the guy with the gun was at least wrong, if not dumbphuck stupid.

But rather than just being mean, I'll offer you an alternative scenario based on your provisional setting.

Self: Wandering in produce section in Condition Yellow, notices gun on hip of tactically duded-out dude, in clear violation of FL law.

Self's brain: recognizes potential threat, kicks up to Condition Orange. Makes instantaneous decision that this is either a) a bona fide threat or b) not a threat (mall ninja, doofus cop in mufti who forgot he was wearing his gun). Decision: threat or no threat? Your brain knows, based on pattern recognition.

At this point your brain tells you which fork in the road to take. He's either a threat, or not a threat. THERE IS NO THIRD OPTION YOU CAN SAFELY EXPLORE.

If you decide THREAT, Self's brain, eyes, and ears are gonna be gathering and processing information while Self's feet move your sorry ass to a position of cover where you can observe the THREAT and if the situation escalates to Condition Red you can draw your sidearm and open fire.

However, if Self's brain decides NON-THREAT, you move on along about your business, maintaining the usual threat awareness of Condition Yellow.

That's it. Nothing more needs to be done. There are no other tactically viable options.

What YOU did was FAIL TO MAKE THE FIRST CRITICAL DECISION IN A POTENTIAL LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. You compounded that failure by actually APPROACHING THE POTENTIAL THREAT!!! I cannot tell you how incredibly dumbphuckitudinal that was! If you were in my recruit class and had done that in a scenario you'd STILL be doing pushups today!!

You NEVER move closer to a potential threat unless you have the ability and opportunity to bring OVERWHELMING FORCE to bear before the threat can move against you.

I think you have some legitimate criticism and commentary, there, Doc. I never said I was anywhere near perfect. The only modification I'd make to your post is to say that when I first saw him, I assumed, as most there probably did, that he was a cop, and that once I got up close to him (he was in produce, and that's where I was going) I'd see his badge on display. Now I'm right there, and see that he doesn't have one. Take it from there, if you will.
I just did, dude. I'm amazed you're not dead already sometimes, Hawk, I really am.
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I just did, dude. I'm amazed you're not dead already sometimes, Hawk, I really am.
I was trying to figure out your attitude here when I remembered you're some kind of a cop, or cop toady. Then it all made sense.
Doc it is the fluoride in the water...I'm tellin ya! laugh
I think you're a good guy TRH. You're definitely a little different (basing this strictly on your posts of course), but that isn't always a horrible thing. I think the guy in the grocery store was a PoPo and possibly left his badge elsewhere. It happens.

Some subjects are difficult to discuss via the written word and I think this is one of them. I don't think you were paranoid about anything, I think you were just bringing it up for conversation sake more than anything else. Unless I'm wrong?

I don't think TRH is bat schit crazy, I just think he likes to discuss nuances and hypotheticals more than most.

Travis
Travis, quit being a voice of reason. That sort of thing forces me to repent my actions.

TRH, I did not mean to call you a dumbphuck. What you DID was dumbphuckitude, but in this context, i.e. trying to encourage discussion of nuances and hypotheticals, I appreciate you bringing it up.

Just next time something like this happens please try to do something more along the lines of the post I put up previously.
It's ok he has me on ignore and I DO think he is paranoid Travis... wink
I am only the voice of reason once a year.

The other 364 days I'm a habitual smart azz and instigator. I'm a lot worse in person. grin

Travis
I am only the voice of reason once a year.

The other 364 days I'm a habitual smart azz and instigator. I'm a lot worse in person. grin

Travis
Yes, I noticed that. wink

Maybe. But we need the paranoid to make up for all the "it's nothing" types.

Ok, I'm getting uncomfortable. I'd like to go back to being an azzhole now. Thanks.

Travis

Ok, I'm getting uncomfortable. I'd like to go back to being an azzhole now. Thanks.

Travis
You are now cleared for azzholatude for the remainder of the year, Travis.

Travis
You are now cleared for azzholatude for the remainder of the year, Travis.

Thanks Hawk!

Now go [bleep] yourself! grin

Travis

Travis
Well, I wish you would because your post about Hawkeye was one that I agreed with and it almost makes me feel bad about saying mean things to you.

George

great minds think alike. OC is and has been legal in arizona forever. You expect it when elk hunting, in the city not so much. I refer to people doing it as targets. Targets for someone of evil mind, giving me time to get away. Always better to not advertise what you are capable of.

Travis
Remember, it's only paranoia if nothing happens.

Travis
Well, I wish you would because your post about Hawkeye was one that I agreed with and it almost makes me feel bad about saying mean things to you.

I can assure you, I don't give a [bleep] what people think of me.

Except women. I love women.

Travis
I probably should have clarified in the manner that you did. When I'm working on "The Mountain" (family blueberry fields and the surrounding acreage that is wood lot/hunting/stress relief) I don't bother with concealing anything.

George

Travis

Be honest.....you only care what they think at closing time. Not so much after they cook breakfast and/or leave a sammich!

grin

George
I probably should have clarified in the manner that you did. When I'm working on "The Mountain" (family blueberry fields and the surrounding acreage that is wood lot/hunting/stress relief) I don't bother with concealing anything.

George

Arizona is one of those places where you are best to assume that darn near everyone is packing. Including my 74 year old gramma wife. Someone one while legal to do so, has to have a hogleg on while munching a burger at the local diner, as if to say, "look at me," calls to question mindset.

Travis

Be honest.....you only care what they think at closing time. Not so much after they cook breakfast and/or leave a sammich!

grin

George

If there are any women lurking out there, I want you to know George's quote is a gross generalization and in no way reflects my views. And I love you.

Travis

Travis
Remember, it's only paranoia if nothing happens.

spider eyes, fluoride, angry negroes in pickup trucks, vac sealed shower guns, radioactive fish...... need I go on?

Travis

grin

George

If there are any women lurking out there, I want you to know George's quote is a gross generalization and in no way reflects my views. And I love you.

Travis

Hey dammit don't make me put on my waders....the male bovine excrement is getting rather deep!

Travis

grin

George

Travis

You, sir, area gentleman and a scholar....a true Renaissance Man in today's world.

I shouldn't have maligned your character!

Ladies....make that man a sammich and get the hell out!

George
And please use the alley. Not that I'm hiding anything. I just don't want people to think you're that kind of girl. Because you deserve better. And I love you.

Travis
Thanks George!

Travis
And please use the alley. Not that I'm hiding anything. I just don't want people to think you're that kind of girl. Because you deserve better. And I love you.

Travis

That is the best line to come out of this stupid 13 page thread!
Originally Posted by renegade50

No big deal.

I looked for a badge. He wasn't wearing one.

might be different in your area
me and slumlord are from the same county in tn
TRH has it ever crossed your mind that he was in uniform?
Sweet Jesus, I'm just happy that TRH's 97 year old parents let him out of the basement for an afternoon jaunt in the supermarket.
a 13 page paranoid clusterphuck
Just another TRH "encounter". I'm beginning to think the most interesting man in the world is a puzzy who wants to live vicariously through him. whistle

Clyde
Mall ninja?

It is quite common here in Cheyenne.
© 24hourcampfire