Home
Courtesy of DocRocket, we've got a course of fire for May.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
1) Shoot the drill cold. Practicing the same drill for hours and posting only the best target kinda defeats the purpose.

2) Use a shot timer or have someone watch a clock for you to make sure you're done within the time constraint.

3) After shooting the drill take a pic of the target with a set of calipers or a ruler or something measuring the group. Post that pic TO THIS THREAD.

4) When you hang your pic also post...
-What pistol you used and any modifications you've made to it, and the caliber.
-What holster you used (duty rig, concealment, open carry...)

5) Deflave is the judge for May. If anything goes wrong, it's all his fault.

COURSE OF FIRE
2 shots weak hand only at 3 yards in five seconds
2 shots strong hand only at 5 yards in five seconds
2 shots kneeling at 10 yards in five seconds
2 shots standing at 15 yards in ten seconds
2 shots any style at 20 yards in ten seconds

*Weak hand shooting can be done from the low ready, guard position, or whatever you want to call it. You can start with the gun in your hand. The other four strings will be fired from the holster.

*The target will be a paper plate, or 8 1/2" circle drawn on a target or piece of paper.

Good luck and remember, any problems are Deflave's fault.
Cool idea. Kinda like postal chess.
Sweet!

I should be able to do this Frigay.

Travis
I'm in.
Good.

See you Wednesday?

Travis
Sure.
I have a request, since nobody has likely shot the course of fire yet.

Could you make the last two shots fired at 50 feet instead of 60 feet? My range only goes to 50 feet.

Huh? Can we? Puh-leeeaaaasssse?

smile
You can just submit your score with that caveat.

15 yards? That's awful.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

15 yards? That's awful.

16.667 yards actually, but yeah, I get your point. It's an indoor range built a long time ago for rimfire competition.

I will hang the target against the backstop instead of the target stand, which should add a yard, and I will stand back from the firing line, which could get me another yard. So I should be around 56-57 feet on those last two shots. Maybe even 58.

I will put a second paper plate behind my target plate for the last two shots so we'll know whether those shots are inside the rest of my group or whether they are the outside shots.
I do not, currently, have access to our indoor range and am working day shift all week prior to the Tough Mudder this weekend.

It will be next week before I can get to it.

George
Originally Posted by NH K9
I do not, currently, have access to our indoor range and am working day shift all week prior to the Tough Mudder this weekend.

George

Somebody sounds scared. grin

Travis

PS-Since I AM the judge, schit talking is extra authorized for this event.
Originally Posted by Waders

15 yards? That's awful.

16.667 yards actually, but yeah, I get your point. It's an indoor range built a long time ago for rimfire competition.

I will hang the target against the backstop instead of the target stand, which should add a yard, and I will stand back from the firing line, which could get me another yard. So I should be around 56-57 feet on those last two shots. Maybe even 58.

I will put a second paper plate behind my target plate for the last two shots so we'll know whether those shots are inside the rest of my group or whether they are the outside shots.

That should work.

Travis
Does it have to be a clean paper plate then?
Originally Posted by supercrewd

Absolutely not. As long as we can identify and measure the group.

Travis
If you pull one out of the trash can I doubt they will give you grief.
2 shots kneeling!

You gotta be kidding, with my knees?
Originally Posted by T LEE
2 shots kneeling!

PM Jeff O for some helpful tips.

Travis
Bite Me!
2 shots kneeling!

PM Jeff O for some helpful tips.

Travis

Good luck with that - you know he's not supposed to talk with his mouth full....
Bite Me!

No.

Travis
TFF...

Travis

George

Somebody sounds scared. grin

Travis

PS-Since I AM the judge, schit talking is extra authorized for this event.

[bleep] it......I'm setting up a target on the walls at the Mudder!

That shouldn't scare off too many people. grin
2 shots kneeling!

Yeah, and the timer doesn't stop until you get back on your feet!
2 shots kneeling!

Yeah, and the timer doesn't stop until you get back on your feet!

Then I am screwed, blued and tattooed! That could take HOURS. smile smile smile
I will petition the head judge for a mulligan on TLee's behalf!

While he is a man I like/respect to the highest degree.....he's at about "our" kneeling level while standing. That should do it!

grin

George
Ouch. I second the motion.
OH you guys are FUNNY! But right dammit. smile smile smile
im in i'll shoot friday at my farm.

either duty gun beretta 96 pos or my beloved glock 22.

i'll dig you all up a course of fire for june consideration

oh how im feeling today

[Linked Image]
I will petition the head judge for a mulligan on TLee's behalf!

While he is a man I like/respect to the highest degree.....he's at about "our" kneeling level while standing. That should do it!

grin

George

Granted.

Travis
PS-This is a MONTHLY shoot guys. Plenty of time left in May, and if you can't shoot this particular course of fire, there will be next month.

Travis
I vote the FAST drill for June. I shot it for the first time last week. It'll eat your lunch.
Rockchucker--A Beretta?? Crap, I thought those were only used in the movies.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I vote the FAST drill for June. I shot it for the first time last week. It'll eat your lunch.

I second that.

Travis

Yeah.

You shoot a Beretta in this match, you gotta make your 10 shots make a smiley-face, like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.
2 shots kneeling!

Well you were the one with all the talk about your "little rascal". laugh

trust me if i could dump this boat anchor i would.
... 2 shots standing on head.
gun sideways, gansta style.

2 shots richoceded off the floor int a 55 gallon drum...

50 rounds from a moving vehicle. weak hand....

What's wrong with standing in one place and shooting like a man?
Looks like I'm out already-there's just no way I can reach my weak side arm across my beer belly to draw from a strong side holster or back around my love handles to draw from an SOB holster.

Besides I haven't met my medical insurance deductible yet and foot injuries sound expensive. Plus, my favorite boots are guaranteed water proof and I'm pretty sure bullet holes are going to void the manufacturers warranty. eek

The competition sounds like fun, though.
See if I can get my daughter & son-in-law to the S.O. range in the next week or so with a stop watch & camera.
Originally Posted by rockchucker

I love Berettas. Good duty guns.

Travis

I love Berettas. Good duty guns.

Travis

u and my chief would get along great.

i hate the big, heavy, to big for my hand POS.

on the bright side it is accurate and makes a great impact weapon smile
I like 'em really big. And black...wait...WTF?

Travis
So, do we need clean paper plates for this thing or not??
Damnit Tim! Pay attention!

Originally Posted by supercrewd

Absolutely not. As long as we can identify and measure the group.

Travis

Travis
Just wanted to double check.
Not sure I can afford new paper plates after buying that fancy shot timer, ya know!
laugh
at my age, I time shots with a calendar.
I use an hourglass!
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Looks like I'm out already-there's just no way I can reach my weak side arm across my beer belly to draw from a strong side holster or back around my love handles to draw from an SOB holster.

Besides I haven't met my medical insurance deductible yet and foot injuries sound expensive. Plus, my favorite boots are guaranteed water proof and I'm pretty sure bullet holes are going to void the manufacturers warranty. eek

Re-check the rules, amigo. For the weak hand string you start with the gun in your weak hand at low ready. No need to draw with the weak hand.

So quit makin' lame-o excuses and shoot the match, dammit!!
smile
As judge, I endorse Doc's comment.

Travis
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Re-check the rules, amigo. For the weak hand string you start with the gun in your weak hand at low ready. No need to draw with the weak hand.

So quit makin' lame-o excuses and shoot the match, dammit!!
smile

*Weak hand shooting can be done from the low ready, guard position, or whatever you want to call it. You can start with the gun in your hand. The other four strings will be fired from the holster.

Now how did I miss that? crazy Maybe I need that eye doctor appt. the wife has been hassling me to make.

Hmmm, now what gun do I use? I could be a real dickweasel and use my red-dot topped Ruger MKII Target, but that might be an unfair advantage. Then again, reading the names of the contestants and realizing that they all probably shoot much more than I do it might be a necessary advantage for this untrained lead flinger. grin
You can use that pistol, but you will have to change your handle to "MK II dickweasel" for 30 days.

Travis
You can use that pistol, but you will have to change your handle to "MK II dickweasel" for 30 days.

Travis

Hmmm, you think Rick would let me? grin

I shot it this morning, and may have a really good chance at the "most improved" award, if you get my drift. Incriminating photos to follow when I get a chance. I would feel like I was cheating my friends if I held back the gruesome details.

So, no one should be bashful. It's about self-improvement anyway.

Travis

I'll tell him it's ok.

Travis
Dang, sounds like fun, could the Wifey run a camcorder and post the pistol match on the 'fire?

Gunner

Travis

I'll tell him it's ok.

Travis

Thanks. smile

BTW, good job on spelling dickweasel, especially after you goofed up the spelling on IDPA the other day. laugh
If it didn't bleep your post, it's ok.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dang, sounds like fun, could the Wifey run a camcorder and post the pistol match on the 'fire?

Gunner

Yes. But please wear clothes when shooting the course.

Travis

Travis

I'll tell him it's ok.

Travis

Thanks. smile

BTW, good job on spelling dickweasel, especially after you goofed up the spelling on IDPA the other day. laugh

I would not talk smack with this month's judge. He is not terribly ethical...

Travis
LMAO!! laugh
TFF!

Travis[/quote]

Bribes are acceptable then?
Originally Posted by j_elky

Travis

Bribes are acceptable then? [/quote]

PM sent.

Travis
He's still going to lose to the guys with the goat pictures. As for me, I'd rather do it the old fashioned way, by shooting poorly.
Patiently awaiting your pics sir.

Travis
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Yes. But please wear clothes when shooting the course.

Travis

laugh LMAO, will do.

Gunner
Travis�.PM received�.what you have suggested is immoral, unethical, slightly painful and probably illegal�

Give me a day or two and I think I can make it happen�..well everything except the part with the midget in the aviators.
Travis�.PM received�.what you have suggested is immoral, unethical, slightly painful and probably illegal�

Give me a day or two and I think I can make it happen�..well everything except the part with the midget in the aviators.

Freakin' Polly Purebreds.

Travis
OK, here are the gory details. I shot it cold, literally and figuratively. At least there was no wind.

I shot first with a Glock 30 SF. I fired from concealment, hands at my side, with a buttoned covershirt. It was pretty tragic. The picture:

[Linked Image]

I tried to imagine a couple of doubles, but I couldn�t get there. (It appears the 230 Blazers are not hitting square.) That is 4 misses outside the circle, 3 off paper. The low left one was shot weak hand, so it looks like I am grouping high right. That�s life. I was shooting too fast, as I had a lot of time left over at the end of every string except the kneeling shots. I don�t go for promotions, so kneeling is not something I practice with any regularity.

Now that I was warmed up, I decided to shoot my new �Lego Man� gun that I got last week. I shot 12 rounds on Sunday and it was doing fine with 48 ounce cooking oil jugs, so I set up again and fired rounds 13-22 from the gun. I forgot to bring the cheap kydex holster that came with the gun, so I put it in the pocket holster in my right front pocket and started with my right hand on the gun in my usual �orange thinking red� position. I don�t think that would have been any faster than drawing from a belt holster because I really wanted to be smooth and keep all my toes. I also started the weak hand string with the safety on. That went much better. The gun and the target, and then just the target.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Having seen the chatter about the FAST drill, I checked that out last night. I tried it with the P238. I used the same start position and put the reload loose in my left pocket. I did drop my final plate shot by a tiny margin, but I was happy that I pulled it off, including fishing the magazine out of my pocket in 8.49 seconds. With the Glock I bungled the reload really bad, missed one of the head shots, and was 3 seconds slower.

If this Sig shoots Gold Dots well, I think the 642 I have carried off and on for 22 years is about to be retired because I sure can�t shoot it like that! I have dies on order that should arrive later this week.

Good luck to all!

P.S. I need to thank TLEE for suggesting that cocked and locked carry of a P238 in a pocket is safe.
If I outshoot you in the morning can I have the 642?
I did an evaluation on a P290 last week to see about adding it to our approved list. It was small, light and accurate, but definitely a handful.
Good shooting Cheyenne.

So your first target is your submission correct?

Travis

No, sorry. It'll still do at close range and it has a lot of sentimental value and character marks.

Travis

Bribes are acceptable then? [/quote]

Acceptable? Hah, required is more like it!
smile
Yeah, the G30SF is the submission, unless you want to do BUG as well. I'm still going to shoot the CoF with the P238, just to see what it can do.
Mr. Stevenson knows me so well, yet lives in MI. Weird...

Travis
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Yeah, the G30SF is the submission, unless you want to do BUG as well. I'm still going to shoot the CoF with the P238, just to see what it can do.

Gotcha. Thanks for popping the cherry on this.

Travis

I wouldn't mind trying out a G30SF sometime!
cool
I'll shoot the CoF by this weekend. And, I will also shoot it a second time with my P238 just so Cheyenne feels better about his marksmanship!
It shoots a lot better than that target indicates. I recently switched to it after 6 years with a Sig DAK and 12 years prior with a Beretta D platform. I was a hater for too long but finally caught up to the 80s.
It shoots a lot better than that target indicates. I recently switched to it after 6 years with a Sig DAK and 12 years prior with a Beretta D platform. I was a hater for too long but finally caught up to the 80s.

I can believe it.
I had a G30(not SF) for quite a few years, and I liked it. But the grip was a bit big, so I finally let it go.

No, sorry. It'll still do at close range and it has a lot of sentimental value and character marks.

Dang it!! I need one of those.

It'd be a slim chance of you losing it anyway.
It ain't pretty, but here it is. The top two were standing at 20. Evidently I've developed a heeling problem.

Box stock M&P .40. Safariland Level 3 holster in a duty rig.

[Linked Image]
I'm currently between primary concealed carry guns, so figured I'd try my "Montana style" concealment technique for this shoot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I utilize this carry method occasionally while wearing boots in town. A lot more comfortable than it looks.

Handgun: Ruger Single Six 32 H&R 4 5/8" barrel
85 grain Hornady XTP @1100 fps

[Linked Image]

Right about 5.5" center to center. This is the first time I've ever been timed with a single action. I noticed my form was a bit off when I was in a hurry, which translated into some wild grouping. This was fun, but I certainly need some work!
It ain't pretty, but here it is. The top two were standing at 20. Evidently I've developed a heeling problem.

Box stock M&P .40. Safariland Level 3 holster in a duty rig.

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting.

BTW, is that a Ben Stiller target? If so, I'd like to pick up a few dozen of those and get to work. That guy bugs the chit outta me.
Mr. Stevenson knows me so well, yet lives in MI. Weird...

Travis

Weird? Well, that is one word used to describe me!
I will also admit that bruinruin and I are friends.
Starting to clear things up a bit? grin

Oh, and one other thing, I'm in for this competition. I hope to get out shooting it this weekend.

Mark
LOL, I don't believe it's Ben Stiller. Just some lucky guy that I missed, three times apparently. Why did I post that pic again?
C'mon guys, somebody shoot this thing or I'll do it and embarrass myself again.
This weekend.
I'm gonna shoot it Saturday or Sunday as well.
LOL, I don't believe it's Ben Stiller. Just some lucky guy that I missed, three times apparently. Why did I post that pic again?

[bleep] man, that's a nice group.

Travis
[bleep]' weak hand @ the 3... [bleep].

[Linked Image]

G22, Fobus Level Awesome holster.

Only modifications have been neglect and oiled with some "Don't Care".

Travis
Bleaudreaux is in the lead.

When you guys measure groups center-to-center, go outside to outside and then subtract bullet diameter. Not trying to be picky, but if it's neck and neck, we'll need those measurements.

Travis
PG,

Did you shoot that mofo from your boot?

That is some damn fine shooting with a single action under the time constraints. I might have to give the other contestants a big GFY just because you're stylin'.

Travis
That ain't no joke. Just when you think you're Johnny Tactical High Speed, some dude from Montana pulls a wheel gun in out of his boot and shows you how it's done.

And that's some fast shooting with a SA too.

[bleep] man, that's a nice group.

Travis

Thanks, I wouldn't be upset if it were center punching him in his juicy parts. But on that target the only place with any real contrast is the eyes so that's what I aimed for. It's just frustrating to see shots in the hair.
Why didn't you use a GD plate? I could have mailed you a plate. grin

I shot that outside on number two at the 3. My conscience told me to start over but I decided to follow the rules. I'm pretty proud of that.

Travis
I shot it before lunch.

To use a plate I'd of had to eat early. And then I'd be hungry too soon in the afternoon. Then I'd get grumpy and snippy at work. Then I'd start shouting. Then I'd have a headache from not eating for so long and from arguing with everybody and because I generally don't breathe enough when I shout. When my head starts hurting real bad I get nauseated. Then I'd have to close my eyes and take Excedrin before I drove home. Which would make me late getting home and I wouldn't get to see the kids before they got to bed. Which would make me resent ever shooting the stupid thing to begin with and I'd probably never participate in one of these again.

So I just grabbed a target off the stack and used it instead.
Well let me start this by saying I havent been shooting pistols much for very long
.Now that the excuses are out of the way It wouldnt of been too bad if it wasnt for that second shot at 3 yds weak hand. This was shot cold I never even practiced weak hand. This is kinda fun.
[Linked Image]
Smith 65-3 4" .357 158 semi wad cutter missouri bullet company. 3.3 grains of clays. Nice easy to shoot load.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
looks to be around 6 3/4" Ill do better next month.Shooting under the clock makes it a lot tougher. Would you beleive the two shots in the bull where from 20 yds.
Good shootin Mato! Stuff like this will definitely get you out of your comfort zone.
I shot it before lunch.

To use a plate I'd of had to eat early. And then I'd be hungry too soon in the afternoon. Then I'd get grumpy and snippy at work. Then I'd start shouting. Then I'd have a headache from not eating for so long and from arguing with everybody and because I generally don't breathe enough when I shout. When my head starts hurting real bad I get nauseated. Then I'd have to close my eyes and take Excedrin before I drove home. Which would make me late getting home and I wouldn't get to see the kids before they got to bed. Which would make me resent ever shooting the stupid thing to begin with and I'd probably never participate in one of these again.

Reading that I got the sickening feeling that we were once married.
Nice shootin' Mato! And don't feel bad about the weak hand. It gets all of us... grin

Like tossin' off with your "weak" hand. It just barely gets it done.

Travis
Thanks 3 yds seems easy till you do it. All the left hand is good for is to hold stuff so you can hit it with the hammer in your right hand.
I use an hourglass!

I thought you used a sun dial? confused
I'll shoot this weekend
Originally Posted by stray round
I shot it before lunch.

Reading that I got the sickening feeling that we were once married.

Absolutely the two funniest posts of the year on 24hourcampfire!!! grin My wife loved them too!! "...I generally don't breathe enough when I shout..." Oh my!

Well done, well done!
This weekend.

I've got some 13" paper plates on order. Soon as I get 'em I'll shoot and post my results. whistle

When you guys measure groups center-to-center, go outside to outside and then subtract bullet diameter. Not trying to be picky, but if it's neck and neck, we'll need those measurements.

Travis

Fixed for you, oh mighty final judge!!! grin

Center-to-center is the same distance as outside edge to outside edge, and unless you have a caliber-specific overlay or NRA bullseye bullet center thingy, center-to-center is only a guesstimate.

Just measure edge to edge and you're good.
This weekend.

I've got some 13" paper plates on order. Soon as I get 'em I'll shoot and post my results. whistle

grin
Would this plate work?

[Linked Image]
i'm going medevil on a paper plate this afternoon
Using cutlery?

Travis

Center-to-center is the same distance as outside edge to outside edge, and unless you have a caliber-specific overlay or NRA bullseye bullet center thingy, center-to-center is only a guesstimate.

Huh? How is outside to outside and center to center the same thing?

Travis
i'm going medevil on a paper plate this afternoon

Shillelagh?

Travis

Travis

Huh? How is outside to outside and center to center the same thing?

Travis

I'll post a pic later to show you, oh might judge. I know you're a literal guy.
grin
Listen, I know I'm not the sharpest guy in the world, and this isn't an exact science. But doesn't center to center eliminate any variation in caliber for scoring purposes. So a guy shooting a .45 doesn't get [bleep] by the guy shooting a .22?

Travis
In theory, yes. But the devil is in the details, in other words, how you do the measuring.

Patience, grasshoppah. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
You be patient. I feel like arguing.

Travis

Travis

I'm laughing my arse off and considering that line for my sig. laugh
deflave inc. grants you permission sir.
grin

Travis
I might just do it. smile

I've been needing a catchy new sig line. Someday maybe I'll be able to reach full-on turdliness and add something about being Turdlike below my posts. Until then..
I was going to use:

"When you're mowing the lawn, sometimes you have to [bleep] the fat one".

But I'm not really big on creeds. Too committal.

Travis

Travis

And this is different than usual... how?
grin
bruinruin... all you need to achieve turdlike status is to get a nasty PM from a known troll and insult the Poobah in public forum.

Since logcutter has accused deflave of being a troll, that puts him in the "known" category... so just elicit a nasty PM from him (i.e., pay him to do it... not necessarily money, I hear tell he'll accept beer, cheap rye whiskey, or sexual services from phat chicks) and then write something on the Big Game Rifles forum accusing ingwe of being a secret lover of the .270 Win, and you're there!
OK, I shot it again...before lunch...with Deflave's rig. Fobus leel awesome holster and a Glock 22.

My calipers only go to 6", so you'll have to trust me that it's 7". The two shots circled were fired strong hand from the 3 by idiocy, so I refired them from the 5.

[Linked Image]
I had all my shots under 4" except that one I threw at the 3.

I have to give myself a penis punch for that.

Travis
bruinruin... all you need to achieve turdlike status is to get a nasty PM from a known troll and insult the Poobah in public forum.

Since logcutter has accused deflave of being a troll, that puts him in the "known" category... so just elicit a nasty PM from him (i.e., pay him to do it... not necessarily money, I hear tell he'll accept beer, cheap rye whiskey, or sexual services from phat chicks) and then write something on the Big Game Rifles forum accusing ingwe of being a secret lover of the .270 Win, and you're there!

Another shortcut to turdlike status is to post a good hunting photo, of game downed with cool rifle, immediately followed by pic of really good looking fisherwoman wink grin
PG,

Did you shoot that mofo from your boot?

That is some damn fine shooting with a single action under the time constraints. I might have to give the other contestants a big GFY just because you're stylin'.

Travis

Thanks!
I did the shooting from my boot....it takes some time to get that pant leg pulled up and get the [bleep] out of there. I really need to get a Glock and try this again.

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Another shortcut to turdlike status is to post a good hunting photo, of game downed with cool rifle, immediately followed by pic of really good looking fisherwoman wink grin

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm pretty sure I've insulted the Poopbah more than enough to have that part covered. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't conferred honorary turd status on me.

As far as soliciting a nasty PM from a known troll, I kinda hate to go slumming with them, even if it would see me achieve turdliness. smile

Question: Does "kneeling" mean on one knee or both knees? Or is it shooter's choice?

I just need to know how much Advil to bring with me to the range...
I'd say either.

I need to practice more.. crazy

COURSE OF FIRE

Rancho Loco used both hands when firing his shots at 5yds. He must be disqualified from this competition. In fact, he must be banned from 24hourcampfire.com! I would also suggest that he have his birthday taken away!

"Any style" means we can use a rest?

grin Good shooting! (Better than I am going to do!) I would, however, like a rules clarification on whether a rest is kosher. I can save at least a little embarrassment if I use a rest on the 20 yarder!
I cracked up when you dropped the mag and threw the pistol. That was classic.
As the "designer" for the course of fire, I should have clarified.

First, strong/weak hand ONLY means just that. One hand shooting. Weak hand, you can start with the gun in the weak hand at low ready. Strong hand, the gun must be in the holster.

Since start position was not specified (my bad) you can start any of these strings with the strong hand on the holstered gun.

ANY STYLE means just that. Prone, kneeling, bullseye position, over a rest, behind a barricade, even while doing a phat chick doggie style.

And finally, as Rancho Loco demonstrated, while aviators are NOT mandatory, they are highly recommended...
damn! I didn't catch that rule at 5 yards.. I disqualify my entry and will now poison myself with mexican beer.
Awesome vid. Good shooting. I salute you with my brew.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
damn! I didn't catch that rule at 5 yards.. I disqualify my entry and will now poison myself with mexican beer.

I feel guilty because I thoroughly enjoyed and endorsed your video. Please send Mexican beer so that I can punish myself accordingly. shocked
I shot a helluva group pics when I return Sunday from the farm. 100% legit. Glock 22, fobus, and concealed. I must tell the truth I shoot weak hand as well as strong hand, but 20-25 yards [bleep] with me. Sorry no cutlery or st Louis beating club Travis and constance.

Travis

There's a lot of that goin' around lately...

[bleep] this handgun chit! grin

smile smile smile smile smile
I shot this morrning but there must be something wrong with my pistol. I know I fired a total of 10 shots but as you can see from the picture, theres only 5 holes in the plate blush. On second thought, I need to get some more shooting done with a pistol.
[Linked Image]
Well, I gave it a go just a little while ago. I used my Ruger GP100 357 with some bargain priced Fiocci 357 magnum ammo. It's been a long time since I bought this gun, but I think I put a spring kit in it back in the day, other than that it's stock. All shots were fired double action. Holster used is a inexpensive, but very serviceable Old World Gunleather open carry unit that I've had for years.

[Linked Image]
I dropped one shot off the plate @ the 7 o'clock position when I was shooting from either the 5yd or 10yd position. frown

[Linked Image]
My stuff.

[Linked Image]
Group size, including the miss, measures a hair over 7.5"

[Linked Image]

This has been fun and a bit humbling, too.

Group size, including the miss, measures a hair over 7.5"

[Linked Image]

This has been fun and a bit humbling, too.

Yessir, humbling it is. Twenty yards is tough. Getting all your shots inside an 8" circle at 20 yards is REALLy tough.

I shot this group cold as cold gets, with a 1911 I haven't fired in a year, and no range time since 3 weeks ago. This is my target of record for the POATAL match...

[Linked Image]

Barely 7.5", and I was lucky to get the two outside shots on the plate.

Just goes to show why you should ALWAYS shoot with aviators:

[Linked Image]

Now, same gun, same ammo, but this time I wore aviators:

[Linked Image]
Maybee that was the problem, I wasnt wearing shades. I'll have to shoot this again with shades on and see if I do any better
You could be on to something here, Doc. I shot W/O aviators too.
[Linked Image]

Next time I'm in town I'll have to pick up some aviators and give it another try. Just for grins of course, my official (losing) entry for May is already in the books.
I also shot it with a 686, and apparently aviators work OK with revolvers, too...

[Linked Image]

I shot the 2 groups with the 1911 as my #1 and #2, then shot horrible on two straight plates, then put away the 1911 and shot the 686 plate. Then I shot my last plate with my new Blackhawk Bisley and only got 6 shots on paper and at that point I was glad I had run out of plates...
[Linked Image]

S&W 915 in 9mm, no aviators, white box winchester ammo.

I also tried it with my 4" model 57 and shot a better group, but three shots were off the plate.
Nicely done! Looks like about 6-1/2" or less?
The angle of the dangle makes it look smaller, actually measures 7-1/8". Need to get me some aviators, probably shrink the group by 2":)

Just between you'n me, the reason I shrank my group from 7.5" to 4.5" was prolly not the aviators... it was more likely the 250 rounds of 45 caliber ammo I put down range in between shooting the two groups...
travis is going to disqualify you for talkin' that chit.
Hey!! The target I submitted for score is the non-contending 7.5"group... which pissed me off so bad I actually practiced until I did it right...

... and I did wear aviators for the better groups, too...
If the dang wind would calm down to below hurricane level I might go out and shoot! I have to be sneaky though...all I have to do is get a gun or fishing rod and and that [bleep] will start up on a calm day. mad
Well im glad to see Im not the only one that needs a bigger plate
[Linked Image]

4" 586, 180gr Rem SJHP 13 gr H110, brass trimmed back to 1.22", leisurely 1064 fps

Fired DA from a Safariland thumbreak beltslide.
nice
Very nice BGG.
[Linked Image]

5.079" minus .40 = 5.039" glock22, fed. american eagle 180 ball, fobus paddle, and ray ban shades
theres 2 in the orange at 5 o clock. a little pissed i threw that one on the edge
Jesus. I'm getting killed...
Everybody has killed the [bleep] outta the bad guy so far!
damn strait
nice shooting everyone. I keep coming back to see updates. waiting on T Lees target.
This was a really neat idea. I hope we can keep this going. I humbly suggest that we limit the posted pics to the target of record. Otherwise it would get difficult to sift through all the pages and pictures.
I dunno, seeing all the targets (pre and post aviators) is kinda fun. LOL
Oh it's always fun to see targets, and I'm really looking forward to the ideas and conversations that will result as spinoff's of this. A really good practical discussion of defensive handguns with empirical data to backup or refute claims.
Damn, how much time do we have??? I just bid on another 45, as the one I have now doesn't shoot good enough... mad I'd like to join, it looks like you guys are having fun.....
Until the end of the month I think.
Damn Rancho... That's some fine shootin' friendo. No aviators? Lame...

Travis

COURSE OF FIRE

Rancho Loco used both hands when firing his shots at 5yds. He must be disqualified from this competition. In fact, he must be banned from 24hourcampfire.com! I would also suggest that he have his birthday taken away!

"Any style" means we can use a rest?

grin Good shooting! (Better than I am going to do!) I would, however, like a rules clarification on whether a rest is kosher. I can save at least a little embarrassment if I use a rest on the 20 yarder!

Ummm.... I'm the judge. And I see all.

You can have your hall monitor pass back on Monday.

Travis
Nice shootin' bruinruin!

Travis
Doc,

When one is on this earth for over a century, he should know to sport aviators right out of the gate. I'll assign shrapnel as your tutor.

Travis
j elky,

You can anticipate a 1 1/2" reduction in groups when utilizing aviators. If they are Ray Bans 3" reductions are not uncommon.

Traavis
Just between you'n me, the reason I shrank my group from 7.5" to 4.5" was prolly not the aviators... it was more likely the 250 rounds of 45 caliber ammo I put down range in between shooting the two groups...

Doc just willingly removed his entry in this competition.

Sorry.

Travis
Originally Posted by eh76
If the dang wind would calm down to below hurricane level I might go out and shoot! I have to be sneaky though...all I have to do is get a gun or fishing rod and and that [bleep] will start up on a calm day. mad

Take three more excuses and call somebody that isn't us.

Love,
Travis
travis is going to disqualify you for talkin' that chit.

Already did.

Travis
BGG and Bluedreaux was neck and neck. But Bluedreaux is still on top of BGG. Which is pretty [bleep]' disgusting.

You guys can stop the mulligan postings too. Nobody gives a [bleep] what we do when the chips aren't down.

Yes, I'm drunk but I'm still the judge.

GFY,
Travis
Are you disparaging drunk judges?
your judgeness i do believe i've out shot my fellow flatfoot from texas.

wtf i got to do to piss someone off here? i where non aviator ray ban shade, shoot a glock, and call the judge your judgeness.
lay down a winning target with a taurus or better yet - hi-point..
Originally Posted by eh76

Take three more excuses and call somebody that isn't us.

Love,
Travis

I see I signed off to early last night! You were on a roll laugh
Deleted.

wtf i got to do to piss someone off here? i where non aviator ray ban shade, shoot a glock, and call the judge your judgeness.

Ya done good, son. As far as gettin' a rise outta the judge, I dunno what more you can do. That's a pretty impressive list of transgressions right there...
grin

I will accept your apology and forgive you for my mistake.

Bonus points for your choice in equipment.

Travis
rockchucker is in the lead.

Travis
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
nice shooting everyone. I keep coming back to see updates. waiting on T Lees target.

OH man, go ahead, put the pressure on! smile smile
TLee... just suck it up and shoot it, dude. Go in like I would a cowboy action match... I know I'm gonna suck, but I'm gonna have a blast doin' it...
grin
One thing we haven't been touching on is timers. What are you guys using? And, how have your times been? I know I shot way too fast (that's what she said).

I've been using a Competition Electronics timer for years. It's a good one if anybody is in the market.

Travis
lay down a winning target with a taurus or better yet - hi-point..

If you're saying that using a Taurus would have incurred the wrath of our most honorable judge, then I dodged a figurative bullet yesterday. I darned near shot the course with my Tore-ass 44 special. blush

Seems like such important information might should have been included in the instructions ... wink
One thing we haven't been touching on is timers. What are you guys using? And, how have your times been? I know I shot way too fast (that's what she said).

I've been using a Competition Electronics timer for years. It's a good one if anybody is in the market.

Travis

I've been using a Mississippi timer. It's kinda distracting, but effective.

Travis

No timer for my run.. As it shows, I really don't know what the [bleep] I'm doing.
The use of a .44 Special would balance out the worthlessness of your Taurus.

You'd have been fine sir.

Travis

Travis

No timer for my run.. As it shows, I really don't know what the [bleep] I'm doing.

I had a watchful eye on that youtube timer buddy... grin

Travis

Travis

I use a CED timer. Used it yesterday, too, and I was too quick the first go-round as well. Using a timer helps you to slow down when you're trying to go fast, if that makes any sense...
It do.

My five second strings we're all 2.5-2.7 ish.

Travis
I first learned that trick shooting Bullseye. Ten seconds for five shots ("rapid fire", forsooth!).

Shooting a couple thousand rounds over the winter in Bullseye matches makes your shooting at the start of IDPA/IPSC in the spring a lot smoother.
It do.

My five second strings we're all 2.5-2.7 ish.

Travis

I might have to save up for one of those fancy timers you guys are using so that I don't rush my shots too much. I'm only getting to about 3 Mississi- when I touch off my second shot.
Gonna let my daughter man my WWII German Arty officers stopwatch my uncle brought back.
Now that is cutting-edge technology right there, sir!
[Linked Image]
You can down load a shot timer App for free, if you have that type
cell phone.
Yep, the Surefire shot timer is pretty slick unless you're inside with a lot of echo. But outside it works great.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
You can down load a shot timer App for free, if you have that type
cell phone.

I'm going to check into that! Thanks.
Yep, the Surefire shot timer is pretty slick unless you're inside with a lot of echo. But outside it works great.

Is that a smartphone app?
Yep, search "surefire" and it'll come up.
I have a PHONE, it makes and receives calls period not even text capable.
A few pics of the range:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now the HORRIBLE SHOOTING!!!!! Hope you can read the notes on the targets. The G19 was fired first cold then the second run with the KT P-11 which is now at the bottom of the pond!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/TLEEF/COWBOY%20ACTION/STOPWATCH007.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/TLEEF/COWBOY%20ACTION/STOPWATCH008.jpg[/img]
yeah, do what I did and break out The Welcome Wagon.
Will do this again for my own edification, but I was almost too damn embarrassed to post them. I have never shot that crappy in my life!!!!!!

And I did kneel and was wobbly as hell and daughter had to help me up, I am thankful there is no video!
I shot it again this morning (same rig) with 155 gr. XTP's over 9 grs of PP and shot a smokin' course.

Already blew my submission yesterday, but the 155's are my new carry load.
I WILL be carrying the Glock and will shoot this with my Colt's the 45 & 380.
Will do this again for my own edification, but I was almost too damn embarrassed to post them. I have never shot that crappy in my life!!!!!!

And I did kneel and was wobbly as hell and daughter had to help me up, I am thankful there is no video!

Ahhh, that clears up the question I had....reading your last post, I thought maybe your "little rascal" might have been giving off vibrations...

Don't get down on yourself too much, Terry. I didn't have my best day ever, either. My two weakhand shots at 3yds were almost centered and spanned less than 2", it was one of the close up strong side shots where I blew my chances. The more important takeaway is that there's not a single one of us in this fun little contest who wouldn't have done just fine against a bad guy.
Don't beat yourself up, Terry.

This course of fire is Evil. I know this because I designed it... eek

I know how much tougher it is to hit at 20 yards with a pistola than most people realize. Also how tough it is to hit with weak-hand only shooting. I know these things too well because I shoot the IDPA Classifier several times annually for the past 12 years and IT SUCKS!!! Or rather, I SUCK at shooting it...
At least your still out there shooting. Hope I can do that well when I get to be that Experienced grin Good Job
Terry you could have fudged it like Swampy does ! whistle
whats the winner get?

travis' skidmarked drawers or something better
whats the winner get?

His [bleep] supermans.

Now you see why I tanked the contest..
Terry, I'd rather have a combat vet/retired LEO with a gimp knee standing next to me in a jam than somebody who just plays games with guns. I don't care what your targets look like.
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Terry you could have fudged it like Swampy does ! whistle

Not a chance in hell I would do something like that!
A few pics of the range:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now the HORRIBLE SHOOTING!!!!! Hope you can read the notes on the targets. The G19 was fired first cold then the second run with the KT P-11 which is now at the bottom of the pond!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/TLEEF/COWBOY%20ACTION/STOPWATCH007.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/TLEEF/COWBOY%20ACTION/STOPWATCH008.jpg[/img]

How many did you have to drink before you started shooting???
Thanks for that but I am flat EMBARRASSED!

The shooting with the KT would have gotten me KILLED in the real world dammit. Well except the first two shots weak hand, that surprised me.
No excuses, all I had was coffee, now since then........ smile smile
No excuses, all I had was coffee, now since then........ smile smile

Notice I haven't even shown my groups yet......I just bought a new pistola and I don't think it will get here by the end of the month.... whistle wink. Hey as long as all the cows and goats are still standing, that's a plus.... grin
The went to the other side of the back 40! Smart critters they are.
whats the winner get?

His [bleep] supermans.

Now you see why I tanked the contest..

I don't know how you knew I had Superman underwear and t-shirt, but that is not the prize.

Travis
whats the winner get?

Winner shall receive some aviators. They will be of the gas station variety and not official Ray Bans. Previous month's winner will be tasked with forwarding them along to the next winner. This will only cost about $5.00 so don't complain you cheap [bleep].

Also, the winner will be allowed to use this photo as their avatar until the new winner is crowned.
[Linked Image]

It will quickly be the identifier of the current top pistolero on this site. And then somebody, somewhere,(besides us) might give a [bleep] about the competition. Maybe.

Travis
Glad I am loosing.
Glad I am loosing.

+1!!!

grin
whats the winner get?

Winner shall receive some aviators. They will be of the gas station variety and not official Ray Bans. Previous month's winner will be tasked with forwarding them along to the next winner. This will only cost about $5.00 so don't complain you cheap [bleep].

Also, the winner will be allowed to use this photo as their avatar until the new winner is crowned.
[Linked Image]

It will quickly be the identifier of the current top pistolero on this site. And then somebody, somewhere,(besides us) might give a [bleep] about the competition. Maybe.

Travis

Sounds good, except I'm not putting that swill in my avatar. Good Lord, you need half a lime just to make it palatable.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Sounds good, except I'm not putting that swill in my avatar. Good Lord, you need half a lime just to make it palatable.

Lucky for you that you're losing...
grin
Damn, that's a fine beer..
schit wish i was lossing now
Sucks to be you, dude...
grin

Lucky for you that you're losing...
grin

I will strive for 2nd place throughout.
whats the winner get?

[Linked Image]

Travis

Says the guy drinking a room temperature High Life.

Travis
Damn, that's a fine beer..

He's not very cultured.

Travis
schit wish i was lossing now

Don't let the haters hate get to you friendo.

Travis
Hey I've got a couple Torpedoes left. Might have to drink them before I'm tempted to make them road sodas again.
Torpedos are damn fine beers..
They are not a good road soda unless one is suicidal.

Travis
who makes the next course of fire
seeing empty torpedos alongside the road would give one pause..
How about on the floorboards of a pickup? And those dam things were 16ers
who makes the next course of fire

The winner.

Travis
How about on the floorboards of a pickup? And those dam things were 16ers

Are you going to deduct the diameter of your bullets or are you going to be a dumb ass and not do what I told all shooters to do?

PS- When the judge tells you how to score, I advise contestants listen.

Travis
But Doc said it was the same measurement? WTF over? grin

The only place I could find more of those rem 180 sjhps was midsouth, thank God they had some. Of course I'll probably get an email on Monday telling me they are back ordered. I'm tempted to stomp on them just because, but they shoot pretty dam sweet poking along.

I really do love when people don't listen to me. Affirms my love for me even further.

Travis

I really do love when people don't listen to me. Affirms my love for me even further.

Travis

GFY.

BGG, you're good.

Travis

GFY.

BGG, you're good.

Finally, a Doc that speaks my language... grin

Travis
Brothas from diff'rent mothas..
grin
I think the winner should get the aviators and Shrapnels gto to boot.
I thought next month was the FAST drill...I've been practicing!
I thought next month was the FAST drill...I've been practicing!

I thought they were all supposed to be shot cold?

That FAST drill do rocketh though.

Travis
i see barricide shooting in the future and a lot of combat shooting on the move
You know, to be honesty (not that I'm a fan) shooting the FAST drill even with practice would be a lot of fun for next month.

But, when you go to shoot it for score, that's it.

Integrity people. Integrity.

Travis
honesty is the best policy
Honesty sucks.

See my 7.5" group for proof....
honesty is the best policy

Not when prison or a female is the consequence.

Travis
Honesty sucks.

Preachin' to the choir...

Travis
Honesty sucks.

Preachin' to the choir...

Travis

Mmmm-hummm. 'Nother choir member here.
I want to see Travis' choir.
You know, to be honesty (not that I'm a fan) shooting the FAST drill even with practice would be a lot of fun for next month.

But, when you go to shoot it for score, that's it.

Integrity people. Integrity.

Travis

I think the FAST is all about finding the balance between speed and accuracy. I've been trying to see just how fast I can go. I won't give a number, but I got pretty dang fast.

How about shooting it all month and posting your clean run times all month? It'd be cool to see how people progressed over several weeks.
I'd say this is going well, on May 6th we're June's match.
Yes. I'm glad I thought of it.

Travis
Well don't close out the entries yet. Tomorrow's my shootin' day.
Maybe we need a mulligan thread. We can post our after targets on it and leave the original thread for scored targets only.
Honesty sucks.

Nah, honesty is great, but fessing up to such miserable shooting as I did does!
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Well don't close out the entries yet. Tomorrow's my shootin' day.

Wide open until the end of the month sir. Plenty of time for everybody.

Travis
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Maybe we need a mulligan thread. We can post our after targets on it and leave the original thread for scored targets only.

We could title it "But, but, but, but..." grin

Travis
It also assumes there would be improvement.
That's a risky assumption!
Went to the outdoor range today to shoot my new S&W E-Series Bobtail & to shoot the Campfire May COF.

Campfire May COF; sorry about the ragged holes, should have put a new backer on as the plywood on the target doesn't hold up well to 45's.

2.953", 5" Kimber TLE II
[Linked Image]

Also shot the new S&W; 12 shots at 15 yards, 2 hand combat grip, fired in 2 - 6 shot strings, 7 seconds each string, different ammo for each string, sights as they came from the factory. I've been using it's twin, except for the bobtail, for a couple of years as my primary CCW, but I think the new bobtail will now be #1.......has a great feel in the hand.
[Linked Image]

MM
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Nice shootin MM.
Great shootin' MontanaMan!

You be the new leader. I bet you can almost feel the aviators on your face...

Travis
Neat pistol comp. I will get a submission in too.

Great shootin' MontanaMan!

You be the new leader. I bet you can almost feel the aviators on your face...

Travis

Not just yet.........lotsa days left yet & there are some really good shooters here that I know of who have not yet reported.

Truthfully, my group should have been better by at least an inch but age & lack of practice compared to some here, let me down & I jerked a couple a bit.

1st competitive shooting I did was Bullseye shooting, both indoor & outdoor; shot a lot of matches around the Mid-West & for the outdoor matches the Slow Fire Stage is 50 Yards & the Rapid & Timed Fire stages are at 25 Yards.

MM

thank god. i thought i was going to have to where them ugly bastids
It appears that you're safe....for now.
MontanaMan....holy crap that's some good shooting.....what do you do sleep with that thing!
Awesome shooting MontanaMan!

We've still got a lot of month left, lets see some more targets!
what do you do sleep with that thing!

Laughin' here...........but at one time, I did spend a lot of time with a 1911 shooting 500+ rounds a week thru one.

But that was long ago & far away.

Send me a PM with an update on where you came down on with your 280.

MM
My mulligan target was worse than my first target. Who would of thunk it.
Today, dvnv and I filled a couple of satchels with guns and headed for the hills.
I'm glad I hadn't posted my expectations. How humiliating! I don't like eggs, but I'd have them all over my face!

I did more weak-hand shooting during this contest than I've done total over my lifetime. But that's OK, since it was only at three yards and not as troubling as I expected.

The rules didn't specify, but I did the kneeling shots from a standing start, and that put me up against the buzzer.
I shot past the buzzer three times, one of which I didn't bother to finish-

.45 Gold Cup, 185 JHP at 1100fps, overtime on kneeling, -4.472":
[Linked Image]

.475 Linebaugh single-action, 375gr somethingorother, went overtime from the dang 5-yard line! (but that's a lot of recoil to recover from!), -4.572":
[Linked Image]

And now, legitimate entries.
9mm Hi-Power, fixed sights (and shiny electroless nickel, to boot), 115gr JHP, 1300fps, -9.4":
[Linked Image]

Ruger Security-Six, 4", 158gr .38 Specials at 800fps, (the gun I thought I'd do best with), -8.7":
[Linked Image]

.357 Blackhawk (old model), 158gr JHP at full power, -6.3":
[Linked Image]

4" S&W 629, 180gr JHC, 1300fps, -5.97":
[Linked Image]

Ruger Mk 1 .22, -5.4":
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/macrabbit/BMK1.jpg[/img]

Dan Wesson 1911 shorty .45, 185JHP, 1100fps, -4.908":
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/macrabbit/BDW.jpg[/img]

6" S&W 629, 240gr LSWC, 1440fps, 2.537":
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/macrabbit/B644.jpg[/img]

Bossman, accept the entries howsomever you wish. This was fun (though discouraging).
And now for the camera-lacking dvnv's day-

.40 S&W, he fumbled with the safety on one stage and got bolixed up, so re-shot the stage, -3.831" with the bolix subtracted:
[Linked Image]

Legit entries-

Dan Wesson 1911, 185JHP, 1100fps, -9.5":
[Linked Image]

Blackhawk .357, -4.756":
[Linked Image]

.22 Hi-Standard, -3.881":
[Linked Image]

Blackhawk again, -3.514":
[Linked Image]

Hi-Standard again, -2.814:
[Linked Image]

I'm thinking that that second tries won't count (no do-overs). But that's OK- he had fun, too.

Nice shooting macrabbit!

You only get one entry... I assume it's the first pic?

I think your 629 should be your carry gun. grin

Travis
The .22s were the first for Macrabbit and me (the larger of mine, 3.881, was my first). Kind of cheating with no recoil, but we still managed yank our fair share. dvnv

If we get to choose our one entries, we choose the smallest grouping ones. If our entries are our first run-throughs, then I'm 5.4" and dvnv is 3.881" with semi-auto .22s.

If we get to choose our one entries, we choose the smallest grouping ones. If our entries are our first run-throughs, then I'm 5.4" and dvnv is 3.881" with semi-auto .22s.

10-4

Travis
Need more entries.

Bump.

Travis
I gave you seven! grin
and I'm the only one to hang my ass out with video..

WEAK!
I started shooting it last weekend and a gust of wind took my paper plate off to KS.
I have to thank all of you that entered this contest but were still lacking in overall consistency. I did my shoot all in the head of one rabbit with a bone-stock Commercial Model 1911. Travis has already sent me the prizes and I am happily wearing my aviators, while driving the Ferrari he gave me. Sorry to all you losers out there, but it really wasn't much of a competition...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I wanna be shrapnel when I grow up.
I gave you seven! grin

Yes.

Read the rules next time... grin

Travis
I wanna be shrapnel when I grow up.

Who doesn't?

Travis
Losers!
I have heard that just being passed by shrapnel and his GTO on the highway, results in a person's death.

I don't know if it's true, and I don't want to find out.

Travis
Just showing a picture of Shrap and his GTO to a woman will make her clothes fall off.

Much cheaper and a lot easier than margaritas!
The downside to that, is it also gets her pregnant.

Travis
Shot today about 4:00pm...just shot it once with one of my favorite Supers that I have not fired in probably 3 years...

Forgot to measure it but will tomorrow....

[Linked Image]

Bob
Looks pretty good.

"Forgot to measure..."?? C'mon!
....the target is in the trash can at the range but that is only a mile from the house so I'll go back tomorrow and get it. The center of the plate is 4" so the group is probably 3.75+-...it would have been better without that one blown trigger squeeze....

The gun is a 1969 Colt GM that has a BarSto barrel and BoMar low mount sights. It was my my first .38 Super and the gun that brought home a lot of trophies... The load was 6.0 grains of Unique with a 100 grain Berry's plated bullet. Holster was a Bianchi Avenger. Competition Electronics shot timer. My friend shot the course also with his Glock 19. He is usually spot on but cold he ran a 3.... He ran it a second time and got a 9....but like I told him...got to get it right the first time as life isn't a dress rehearsal...

[Linked Image]

Bob
Chuck Norris wears Shrapnel pajamas.
Retrieved the plate....9 shots went into 3"...with the pull which was shot #9, the first one at 20 yards, 4.25" ctc...

I thought the flat bottom of the plate was 4"...it is actually 5".

Bob
You've reached the 24Hour pinnacle (nadir?)-- dumpster-diving for a poatal match!
..what can I say.

This has been fun.... I run shoots 4-6 times a month and have gotten to shoot in them exactly twice in the last 10 years....

Bob
Just shot it again, gold star if you pick out what's wrong with the pistol.

[Linked Image]
Where is the rear sight?
...it is on the right side of the slide where it belongs....

Bob
Where is the rear sight?

In my pocket.

I pushed it out this afternoon. I've always hated 3 dot sights and thought that less would be more in a rear sight. Gonna do some experiments over the next week or so to see what I can do with no rear sight at all.
It's got a 24/7 dot on front, so you can't get much less precise than this.

[Linked Image]

Here's a preview of how it's going. I fired the last four shots in the box from 25 yards.

[Linked Image]
I've been drinking.

Who is in the lead?

Rear sites are for chicks.

Travis
I am. My shotgun killed the paper bad guy more dead than anybody else did.
I think Montana Man is still winning right?
Yes.

Travis
I'm not a pistolero, but this looks like a hoot! I think I'll give it a go tomorrow!
Yes.

Travis

I thought this was settled and I had won...

Why do you taunt these people with such false hope???
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Yes.

Travis

I thought this was settled and I had won...

Why do you taunt these people with such false hope???

Please show me where that was posted.

Travis

The head of that rabbit is smaller than a pie plate...

I have to thank all of you that entered this contest but were still lacking in overall consistency. I did my shoot all in the head of one rabbit with a bone-stock Commercial Model 1911. Travis has already sent me the prizes and I am happily wearing my aviators, while driving the Ferrari he gave me. Sorry to all you losers out there, but it really wasn't much of a competition...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Due to insubordination, shrapnel is removed from the competition.

Travis
My entry.....Glock 23 gen4 and safariland holster.

DB

Attached picture campfire.jpg
Don't know if you can see the numbers are 4.883"

DB
You may win based on your handle alone.

Travis
This looks like a riot. Instead of me reading all 30+ pages, are rules still the same at listed on page 1?

I should get to the range this weekend. Assuming multiple entries are allowed. I'll give it a whirl with the 9mm and 44 shortie. I'm thinking the 45 and 454 are gonna recoil too much for good follow up shots.
I tried a bunch of entries, using different guns. I think that only my first was accepted. So choose your #1 gun for your first go-through.

And don't discount boomers. My best, 2.537", was done with a 6" 629 and medium-hot loads behind 240gr LSWCs:
[Linked Image]

And my round with a single-action .475 Linebaugh wasn't bad, either, though one shot broke just after the buzzer. 4.572":
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bwinters
This looks like a riot. Instead of me reading all 30+ pages, are rules still the same at listed on page 1?

with this crowd, pretty sure it's rules as we go...

The rules are based on the magnitude of your bri....donation....to Travis.

George
Thanks! And Go Bears!

I should get to the range this weekend. Assuming multiple entries are allowed. I'll give it a whirl with the 9mm and 44 shortie. I'm thinking the 45 and 454 are gonna recoil too much for good follow up shots.

Yes. Rules are the same. Shoot it cold.

Multiple entries are not allowed.

Travis

I have been adhering to the original rules while keeping a close eye on the mailbox.

Travis
Hey are we allowed to use an orange dot in the center?

[Linked Image]

and don't pay any attention to the date on the paper...that was a misprint...... whistle Figured I'd ask since i'm still waiting on my other pistol to get here.....
No. You should be shooting a paper plate. Stains incidental to eating will not be disqualified.

Travis
Dammit......I'm running out of time...Don't know if my new pistol will be here in time..... whistle...Can I use a rifle instead?
Sorry. Handguns only.

Travis
[Linked Image]

Had the day off. Woulda been alright--cept I missed 1 of the 10 yard kneeling shots--and both the 20 yards (standing, two hands).

Oh fine.

Ella

Bump...

Travis
bueller? bueller?
It's fear RC.

Travis
OK, I got back from vacation. Who's the leader now? I don't wanna read through all 35 pages to find out...
grin
I will post results soon. Patience young man.

Travis
fear is right. i think im going to use the snubnose or the lcp next month
I think I'll use a .500 Linebaugh next month.
I think I will watch! frown frown frown

I am STILL smarting from my abysmal performance.

I'm going Night Guard or Delta.

Travis
I think I'll use a .500 Linebaugh next month.

Do you have to use a bicycle pump on your testicles before you use that?

Travis
I think I will watch! frown frown frown

I am STILL smarting from my abysmal performance.

A solution to shooting like schit is not to quit shooting, sir. grin

Travis
Never quit shooting, but sure hate to post such crappy results.

Maybe close range lever rifle, well we will see.

I'm thinking I'll be using my Kahr K40, depending on what the course involves. Since it looks likely that you're going to win, have you thought up a course of fire for next month yet?

One more day Gents!
I just might shoot the COF after work tonight...
MontanaMan is the winner.

This month is closed. If your entry did not win, you suck.

Travis
MontanaMan is the winner.

This month is closed. If your entry did not win, you suck.

Travis

GFY

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT...

*The target will be a paper plate, or 8 1/2" circle drawn on a target or piece of paper.

But he cheated!!

(Congrats, MM)
What next?

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT...

But he cheated!!

(Congrats, MM)
What next?

That's a good point actually.

I may have to appeal this with myself.

Travis
...it would be nice to have a list of everyone who shot and how they did instead of telling everyone who didn't win "they suck"..

Bob
No it wouldn't.. I lost, so I suck.

ME TOO!
Originally Posted by RJM
...it would be nice to have a list of everyone who shot and how they did instead of telling everyone who didn't win "they suck"..

Bob

Thanks for volunteering.

Travis
...you have been drinking again this morning I see.....
I didnt do so well either.
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

If you put up a list that shows how sucked the worst, I wont shoot in anymore of these. I'm not wanting the lable of 24-hours worst shot.
Originally Posted by RJM
...you have been drinking again this morning I see.....

Schit tons.

How is that compilation coming along?

Travis

....it doesn't sound like anyone wants it posted....so I guess we will just go along guessing where we placed.....

Bob
i was #2, but then i'm always schit
There was only supposed to be one winner, no "places" or runner up's.

I am a member of the legion of the "YOU SUCK" club. smile smile
WTF cares? If you're not first it doesn't matter. If it does matter to you, then in the succeeding months I suggest you write down your score, and as scores get posted keep a running tally. To yourself.
Didn't somebody write a book about no second place winners? Besides, it don't matter until it's for real.
You know that title sounds familiar. wink Absolutely correct, which is why there should only be 2 places in the Campfire Comp, Winner and Loser.
[Linked Image]
Actually if you thought about it, Second Place would be First Place in the losers category...
Actually if you thought about it, Second Place would be First Place in the losers category...

shrapnel is the campfire Buddha.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire