Home
It seems to be K frame Smiths for me..... Wish I could say 1911s but it seems to take frequent practice for me to hit well with one of them.....

S&W revolvers, K-frame and larger.
1911 although it takes practice.

Probably the best one I've shot is a original 1873 Colt once I got the hang of it.
I shoot Glocks, especially my G19 the best. I can manage it easily and it is accurate enough for the intended tasks.

For pure accuracy I have a .41 Magnum 6.5" Blackhawk that is the most accurate CF pistol I have ever shot.

Both my 28-2 and Taurus Titanium Tracker are also very easy to shoot and quite accurate.
1911 and K-Frames.

Travis
S&W K and L frames.
The pistol I actually shoot the best with is my CZ 82 9mm makarov (also known as the vz 82), might not be the deadliest but is definately an accurate shooter. Close second is my Super Redhawk .454 grin
I am pretty lousy with a handgun but I am getting better.

Best shots I have done has been with a 1911, Rock Island to be exact.
1911 in both 45 and Super. I've tried a variety of revolvers and was convinced I'd do better throwing rocks. Then a friend handed me his 1911 at the range. Now I have four of them in different flavors.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
It seems to be K frame Smiths for me..... Wish I could say 1911s but it seems to take frequent practice for me to hit well with one of them.....

What do you mean by best. If it's accuracy, an S&W Model 27 with .38 Special wadcutters. If it's tactical shooting, a 1911A1.

R
[Linked Image]

I actually out-shot a scoped Contender with it, the same day.
I shoot a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup 45 ACP the best. Not far behind is a Fusion Firearms 1911 6-inch long slide in 10mm.
6.5" 610....single action,....double action...well, I could use some practice.
no question its my 10" barrel smith mod 29 with moderate loads pushing a 300 grain hard cast to about 1000 fps Ive even surprised my self at times making hits on small targets out past 200 yards , its a hoot to bust soda cans out at what for a hand gun is extreme range
Revolver = 4" 629
Automatic = Sig P220

S&W Model 57...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
For pure paper punching accuracy, it'd have to be my Colt Shooting Master 38spl:

[Linked Image]
My S&W Model 16. Accurate, minimal recoil (it's a .32) and the mechanical precision of a Swiss watch.
The one in my hand.
My Colt Officers Model 38 Special.
I don't own it anymore but the best shooting I've done with a centerfire handgun was with my Kimber Pro CDP II. That gun handled and shot like a dream. Selling it was NOT a good plan....
i like a 4" K frame with my herretts grips on it... as natural as i'll ever see in a revolver...

amongst auto pistols it's hard to argue, or even find much to argue about outside of brownings designs...
and if i gotta pick up a pistol today it'll be a 1911, full size, and steel framed...

in the non browning category the h&k roller locked designs are worthwhile...
my favorite handgun of all time was my H&K P9S...

and i didn't use it much, but a friend had one of the colt all American 2000s... every guy who picked that gun up shot well with it... no idea why they didn't make it...
Toss up between my Smith 66 4" and Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag 4 5/8" now that I have some grips that agree with me.
Target style guns, both SIGs.

X-5 & P220s.

I don't think the hold on a revolver is secure enough for real accuracy. YMMV.
My Kimber Pro Carry and my Model 19 S&W, but I probably shoot them the most. I think with time and practice, my Model 57 will be a great shooter too.
I'm most accurate with my Ruger SRH 9.5" in .44M.. At 50 yards I can keep a 4" steel target swinging with 5 out of 6 rounds - shooting offhand..
My Sig 229 followed closely by a 1911.

Getting there with the polymer pistols.
My Smith 629 and my 1911 Springfield 45 Acp
Just a question,

What would you guys consider to be good accuracy with a handgun?
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Just a question,

The ability to hit what I've aimed at... and that comes with practice. Since all handguns are inherently more accurate than the typical shooter, none will be more accurate than the man pulling the trigger.

For most of us the ability to hit a soda can at 20-25 feet with the first shot is more than enough accuracy.
Currently, standing, two handed, it's my Kimber Custom Target 1911 in .45 ACP. At 25 yds. we are good for as little as 1.5 inches for five. Closely followed by my 4 inch, Smith 29, at six for 2 inches or bit more.
From a rest, it's my 1006 Smith, three for 3/4's to 1.5 inches at 25 yds.
The all time champs in both catagories was my old 6 ich, K-38 Smith. Would shoot 1.5 inches for six, two handed standing, and under .5 inches for six from a rest at 25 yds. with Western Match ammo. Never should have sold that gun. E
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
Just a question,

The ability to hit what I've aimed at... and that comes with practice. Since all handguns are inherently more accurate than the typical shooter, none will be more accurate than the man pulling the trigger.

For most of us the ability to hit a soda can at 20-25 feet with the first shot is more than enough accuracy.

Thank you, sir.

I am getting better, I can put a 22lr bullet into a plank on a pallet from about 25 yards. I am working on what grip is best for me.
technically, I guess I should mention this one as well...

[Linked Image]

grin cheating, I know grin
Tex N Cal...... Bummer about blowing that group with that low flier grin I need to drag out my old Contender and warm up both the 10" .222 and 14" .309 JDJ barrels.....

The last deer I shot with the .309 JDJ managed to run a LONG way down a steep ridge...... Was using a 165 Ballistic Tip that did not expand with a 175 yard shot....Thought I was going to die too dragging the buck out of the hole he ran down into.... I need to work up a load with a lighter bullet for deer..... Maybe one of the Flex Tip bullets designed for 30-30s???

Just a question,

A 1/4" group at 150 yards with a 1911 hand held! shocked eek

Just kidding, just kidding.

I figure if I can keep all my shots from my 1911 in a three inch on a human silhouette hand held at fifty yards I'm doing good and that's accuracy.

Unfortunately, I need a heck of a lot of practice which is why I'm learning reloading.
I've done my best shooting with my 6" GP100. I managed to hit a couple 10" steel plates at 270 yards, seated with my wrists resting on my crossed leg. It was my first attempt at long range pistol shooting and it took 5 shots total to get them both.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Just a question,

A 1/4" group at 150 yards with a 1911 hand held! shocked eek

Just kidding, just kidding.

I figure if I can keep all my shots from my 1911 in a three inch on a human silhouette hand held at fifty yards I'm doing good and that's accuracy.

Unfortunately, I need a heck of a lot of practice which is why I'm learning reloading.

Doable.... laugh laugh
A friend has a matched pair of early 1960's (old style) Colt OMM's in 22LR and 38 Spec.. Very accurate out to 200 yards and the grips fit me well.

I've "borrowed" both!
1911s
Sig 220
Blackhawks

Rest
S&W N-frame for me
My Blackhawk in .45 Colt is what I shoot best with. But it's not what I shoot the most. Mostly shoot semi autos. Funny how that worked out. Shoot best with the gun I shoot least. The Blackhawk 5.5 inch .45 just works for me.
Oddly, it's a Colt E and I frame revolver, what used to be called their 41 frame, e.g., Pythons, Official Police, etc. I shoot a K-Frame almost as well, though. In auto pistols, I'd have to say the SIG P-220 (single action only) is what I shoot best, all things considered.
I may be the only fan of them around here, but I probably shoot the best with My Dan Wesson in .357mag.
Second would go to my 648.
Just a question,

I have several handguns that shoot around .5" to .6" three shot groups @ 25 yards , both Rugers and Smiths. Here's a 25 yard group, shot with a 629-4 Classic and 280 grain WFNGCs, pushed hard. I have a Ruger NM 44 Special that will do better than that.

[Linked Image]
I shoot my Kimber 1911 pretty well, but my XD-40 takes the cake. Best shot was after a cocky 17 year old dude thought he was the schit with his 460 S&W bragging about being able to kill at like 150 yards, missed a jack rabbit at about 40.... I shot the next one, called head shot at about 60 yards. Awesome!
My S&W Model 16. Accurate, minimal recoil (it's a .32) and the mechanical precision of a Swiss watch.
You have a 16? Now I just don't like you. Is yours the Combat Masterpiece or the Target model?
For me, there are two handguns I�ve always tended to shoot head and shoulders above the rest.

Browning Hi Power
S&W Model 19

Sad thing is, I don�t own either at the moment. But I must say, my Colt�s .38 Super is very quickly nudging up there with the Hi Power; she�s a shooter.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
S&W Model 19

A kazilion bullseye shooters, using a K-frame in the form of the Model 14, are a testimony. If a guy can't hit the best with a K-frame he's probably doing it wrong. wink
You have a 16? Now I just don't like you. Is yours the Combat Masterpiece or the Target model?
Mine's a target model. I've never seen a 4" K-32 Combat Masterpiece -- they are rare as rocking horse poop -- but if my 6" is anything to go by, it would probably be one sweet shooting gun. If you look around you should be able to pick up a good shooter grade Model 16 for $1200-$1500, maybe a bit less if matching stocks, finish, and the all important factory box really don't matter that much to you.
Ruger Bisley Blackhawk .45colt.
Glock 19
S&W revolvers, especially a certain 6" Model 686.
I shoot all of my handguns the best. I strive for it.
Mine's a target model. I've never seen a 4" K-32 Combat Masterpiece -- they are rare as rocking horse poop -- but if my 6" is anything to go by, it would probably be one sweet shooting gun. If you look around you should be able to pick up a good shooter grade Model 16 for $1200-$1500, maybe a bit less if matching stocks, finish, and the all important factory box really don't matter that much to you.

I've had the privilege of shooting a 15,16, & 18 side by side once. All 3 revolvers are within 1 ounce of each other, and just plain feel the same in your hand; magnificent.

The .32 model 16 was just a straight up shooting machine, I mean that revolver just shot like nobody's business. After that experience shooting all 3, the 3 gun Combat Masterpiece became a bucket list dream for me.

$1,500 for a target model 16 just isn't worth the expense to me. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic gun, and the cartridge is just a joy to shoot & reload; just lights out accurage. But for significantly less cost I can get a truely first rate .38 Special or .357 and a case or two of ammo.

But bully to those like you who have one. I've always said for just pure target shooting pleasure the .32's in a K frame are just pure pleasure.
The best?
My G 34. Hands down.
It shoots like my S & W .22

I'm getting better with the F N 5.7
but still not the natural hitter like the G34 9mm
my 41mag ruger blackhawk 7.5 inch barrel 210gr xtp with h110 ive taken deer and antelope withit

I've had the privilege of shooting a 15,16, & 18 side by side once. All 3 revolvers are within 1 ounce of each other, and just plain feel the same in your hand; magnificent.

The .32 model 16 was just a straight up shooting machine, I mean that revolver just shot like nobody's business. After that experience shooting all 3, the 3 gun Combat Masterpiece became a bucket list dream for me.

$1,500 for a target model 16 just isn't worth the expense to me. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic gun, and the cartridge is just a joy to shoot & reload; just lights out accurage. But for significantly less cost I can get a truely first rate .38 Special or .357 and a case or two of ammo.

But bully to those like you who have one. I've always said for just pure target shooting pleasure the .32's in a K frame are just pure pleasure.
I bought mine about five years ago in the aisle at the Roanoke Gun Show for $600 (about 90% finish, but no box or papers). The seller had lugged it to two previous shows, but no one was interested in spending more than $400 because it was a .32 and not a .38! I'd suspect that a well-used example would still be in the sub-$1000 range.
This one:
[Linked Image]

--
[email protected] | [email protected] | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://www.subrah.com
http://larvatus.livejournal.com | "All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett
Ruger gp161 with .38's, I love it.
Originally Posted by zeleny
This one:
[Linked Image]
That's one cool gun. Unfortunatley, as much as I love Lugers, I was never really able to shoot them with as much accuracy as, say, a fixed-sight revolver due to the Luger's sight profiles.

--
[email protected] | [email protected] | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://www.subrah.com
http://larvatus.livejournal.com | "All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett
[/quote]
This one:
[Linked Image]

--

I was expecting you would say something else....
This one:
[Linked Image]
That's one cool gun. Unfortunatley, as much as I love Lugers, I was never really able to shoot them with as much accuracy as, say, a fixed-sight revolver due to the Luger's sight profiles.
M1929 Lugers use a U-notch that leaves little to be desired. Additionally, this gun had a nice trigger job. I cannot say whether or not its mechanical accuracy is better than that of my best SIG P210, but it certainly wins in the total shooting experience. I also have its 180mm bull barreled sibling, but to date it has remained unfired.

[Linked Image]

--
I have a 1911 built by Jack Maples from the USAMU. 10 shots in 2.1" at 50 yards. Have a lot of handguns, but this is the most accurate one.
I'm not sure I like you much either....LOL
1911 Les Baer Long Slide
I'm surprised no one has a TC Contender on their list. I have a bunch of revolvers that I love to shoot, and I do so with varying degrees of accuracy. But none of them compare with a Contender I used to have. I had one barrel in .22 Hornet that was incredibly easy to shoot accurately. Wish I still had it.
For pure accuracy, a highly tuned 1911 such as my Les Baer PII.

For speed shooting, IPSC/combat type shooting, a Glock 19/Glock 21.
For just shooting rocks, chucks, and various targets of opportunity, my Ruger Blackhawks and FA '97's win. I have to confess that I rarely shoot handguns on paper.

The best offhand group I've ever shot on paper came from an old Springfield Armory 1911A1 with a full length guide rod and 3 dot sites.
For me I shoot double action revolvers the best even though I have been spending more time with my auto pistols. It can be any brand as long as the trigger is good. I prefer S&W guns though.
1911's

Is there any other kind?
I hate to admit it, but in my case it's a SIG 228, at least in IPSC/combat type shooting.
It's simply a matter of how perfectly it fits my hand, and we're talking stock plastic grips.

Pete
A friend of mine's STI 2011 is gun that damn near shoots itself. A perfect 3# 1911 trigger combined with great fiber optic sights and that STI grip is about as good as it gets.
1911, sig p220, ruger black hawk 45 Colt

Snake
Sig 220
S&W K & N frames
© 24hourcampfire