Home
Posted By: iambrb 22/45 mark III with 1911 grips? - 12/27/12
I have been shopping for a 22 auto-pistol, and have been narrowing it down to, likely, another ruger. i have seen a version that is the 22/45, but has wood grips - are these the same grips as a 1911?

I am curious because I think a Ruger 22 auto, no matter the mark, with Grashorn's Bone or Antler grips would be plum-purty.

Thanks for the help!
Yep 1911 panels and well worth the lawyer aggravations Ruger added. My latest (dealer pick):

[Linked Image]

Yeah those are nice and the 1911 grip panels add a touch of class. As for the changes to the MK III. My Mk III Ruger Standard is a VERY nice gun. The magazine disconnect is really pretty much irrelevant and the loaded chamber indicator doesn't do any harm. The re-located magazine release is WAY overdue, and very welcome.

The .22/45's shoot way better than they have any right to. Most will shot nearly 1" at 25 yards with good loads, and less than 2" with cheapie stuff.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The magazine disconnect is really pretty much irrelevant and the loaded chamber indicator doesn't do any harm.

I hear ya there. Lot's of folks just detest the Mag Disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator but when it comes to the 22/45 I'll gladly deal with those when I gain replaceable grip panels. I really liked the way my MKII 22/45 performed but dang that grip was fugly.

Amazingly enough the used MKII 22/45's I see on dealer tables are now going for $400 on up. It's nuts what people will pay to avoid easily dealt with lawyer features.
Hey Chris, I have a question for you.

On the Mk III 22/45's, does the magazine still have the "shoe" on the bottom of the mag? The older 22/45's had basically what constituted the bottom of the whole grip frame attached to the magazine. Really made the magazine unwieldy when out of the gun.

I'm thinking the 22/45 with the lightweight upper that has the threaded barrel would be the cats-ass.
KG, the MKIII magazines are, as far as I can tell, identical to the MKII ones. Bottom of magazine is bottom of grip.

When the 22/45 "lite" came out it was one my must have list. After handling it and the 4.5" slabside I much preferred the former. Weight did not seem that much lighter and all the weight was reduced in the wrong places. Doesn't help that the threaded barrel was a non issue with me since suppressors are a no-go here.
© 24hourcampfire