Home
Posted By: GunGeek "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/04/13
I really have a love for the �Clasic� pocket auto�s. I could seriously become a collector. Often they can be had on the cheap, especially the .32 Auto�s, and most are very good guns. I only have two at this point.

Astra 3000 in .32 & .380
[Linked Image]

Beretta Model 70 Puma in .32
[Linked Image]

(Not my guns, images poached from the internet; but my guns are identical)

The Astra I got because I just happened to find one and it�s a very rare pistol to begin with, but especially so here in the US. The build quality is just fantastic, and it�s one of the last pistols that came from the factory with honest to goodness slow rust bluing. Mine is SUCH a good shooter and it�s my daughter�s favorite pistol to shoot even though I can�t afford to feed the thing.

The Beretta is a fantastic little pistol. The trigger is pretty bad, but I can still shoot it very accurately, and I�m too lazy to do a trigger job on it. It�s a single action with an aluminum frame about the same size as a PPk/S but much lighter since it has an aluminum frame. Really makes a great little pocket pistol.

So anyone else have any favorites?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/04/13
Not my pic, but a spent a bunch of time with one of these in 32ACP as a lad.

[Linked Image]
I've got a hankering for one of those Savages (1907) like Bristoe's, and I can't really understand why. Maybe seeing one in "Road to Perdition" got to me somehow, I dunno. I also like the 1910 Brownings quite a bit.
I really can't conceive any real use for one, but I still like 'em.
Always wanted an 03 Colt but not badly enough to buy a rusted up specimen. I'll keep looking. No interest in a Baby Browning or some such. That 03 Colt sings to me.

Posted By: P_Weed Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/04/13
I like my Beretta 'Tomcat', INOX, 32 ACP, Tip-Barrel ...

I also found two extended 10 round magazines for it and
some other accessories just for the sake of having them.

As for a "Classic Pocket Auto" I like my
Beretta Model 418, 25 ACP, (Vintage 1956.)
Posted By: EWY Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/05/13
Don't know if it qualifies as a "pocket" pistol but I have a post war PPK in 32 that I am quite fond of. It is one of the NDS marked pistols.

Ernie
Posted By: Bristoe Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've got a hankering for one of those Savages (1907) like Bristoe's, and I can't really understand why. Maybe seeing one in "Road to Perdition" got to me somehow, I dunno. I also like the 1910 Brownings quite a bit.

Life would be boring if all we purchased were practical things.

When it comes to firearms, I just buy those that catch my eye.

They're just toys to me,...shiny trinkets.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've carried a 1910/1955 for a time, and it was a really great little pocket gun. They're very reliable...about the only criticism is the diminutive, almost non-existent sights. But that was in line with the mindset of the time, when most though it was a "belly" gun which would be pointed at very close range and not aimed. My last one was a mint condition 1955 and that thing shot lights out; would actually group right in there with most full sized pistols.
Posted By: T LEE Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/05/13
[Linked Image]

Well the Commander don't really qualify but it is the picture I had handy.
I have never owned one, but one of my all time favorite guns of this type is the Remington model 51. I always thought they had the coolest lines.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/05/13

Never owned one, either, but I've picked up a 51 from time to time, and they feel so right in the hand.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/06/13
the 1907's were and are masterpieces. and you have to love the incorrect "savage" with headdress on the grips. Very precise fit in all the parts. A pistol that is over 100years old, that would be banned in several states now, which makes them even more special.
there is a really good website on 1907's if you google it.
Posted By: T LEE Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/06/13
They are superb pistols and no tools needed to take down. The fit and finish was right up their the best of the days and ahead of most.
Had a model 70 in 380 that I just loved and foolishly traded away. Still looking for another one! TM
Posted By: XPLRN Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/07/13
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
the 1907's were and are masterpieces. and you have to love the incorrect "savage" with headdress on the grips. Very precise fit in all the parts. A pistol that is over 100years old, that would be banned in several states now, which makes them even more special.

That's a very intriguing vintage pistol!! Have they eclipsed to 'unobtainium' status or ??

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html
Posted By: GunGeek Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/07/13
Originally Posted by XPLRN

That's a very intriguing vintage pistol!! Have they eclipsed to 'unobtainium' status or ??

They regularly come up for sale and often at reasonable prices. They are REALLY nice to shoot, especially in .32 ACP. Just uber-cool guns.
Posted By: Jaywalker Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/07/13
I've owned a couple. My Beretta Model 70 in 22 had two barrels - the standard 3+ inches and another of six inches. With the front sight on the barrel, this was an effective way to get a longer sight radius. It was smooth, accurate, and reliable, but I could never get past its funky look and let it go.

I also had a Browning 1910 in 380. I don't recall why I sold it - maybe because of the grip safety...

OTOH, I do recall why I let go of the Savage 1907 32 ACP that I inherited - I was young and needed the money.
The 1907 savage 32s and the 1917s hold 10 rounds, I have both they work very well, and shoot good also!
Posted By: MnFn Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/08/13
I don't see too many of these around. It shoots well.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/08/13
The HSc is a really interesting pistol. The design is really actually �different� in several ways; they really did come up with some new and novel ideas. I love the way they break down, that�s slick. But the ergonomics are not so great, and the triggers tend to be horrendous in DA mode, and at best serviceable in single action. Sights are like the Browning 1910, almost non-existent�but honestly, I�ve owned the HSc and the 1910 and even those teeny-tiny sighs can be picked up and used without too much trouble. The HSc was never a big seller. But every HSc I�ve ever handled has been accurate and utterly reliable. H&K took another stab at the design with the HK4; but it too wasn�t really appreciated by the market. I found the HK4 to be a pretty cool pistol with its ability to swap calibers.

I wanna say about � of all the HSc�s ever sold were bought by the German army during WW II. The other � were commercial sales after about 40 years after the war until it was finally discontinued.
Posted By: MnFn Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/08/13
It does shoot pretty good and as you say is reliable. At least it hasn't jammed on me yet. My father made the grips out of aircraft glass in his downtime.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I have never owned one, but one of my all time favorite guns of this type is the Remington model 51. I always thought they had the coolest lines.

[Linked Image]

I had one of those model 51's. I got it without a magazine, that cost me $60 but it was an original. I never shot the gun and sold it a few years ago.

Darn nice little gun.

I'd like to find a Beretta Jaquar someday at a good price. They seem to be pretty difficult to find at a decent price.

I've got a couple pocket pistols I'll shoot some pics of tomorrow.
Posted By: 1096here Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/09/13
My dad picked up a Model 51 somewhere. He kept it in a drawer and I was always curious about it. I bought a box of FMJ .32's and put a few rounds through it. Great feel, natural pointer. Just couldn't hit anything with it past 10 yards or so.
I finally sold it. I wouldn't mind trying one in .380 as it is a better caliber for self defense.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I'd like to find a Beretta Jaquar someday at a good price. They seem to be pretty difficult to find at a decent price.
The .32's and .380's can be found for well under $400.00. I got my .32 for $200, but it's far from museum quality. The .22's are typically quite pricey, running right around $500.00, but they really are great little .22's.

Almost all of the .380's are the model 71's with the Browning style safety, and the hideous huge target grips. But you can pick up a normal set of grips and the gun becomes a first rate pocket .380.
Posted By: XPLRN Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/10/13
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by XPLRN

They regularly come up for sale and often at reasonable prices. They are REALLY nice to shoot, especially in .32 ACP. Just uber-cool guns.

Ran across this one recently, complete with 'custom' leather holster.....is that a reasonable price for condition show!??

The good side;
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The not so good side closeup.....how hard would it be to find a replacement??
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/11/13
I believe this one is a 6.35mm................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this cool one is a 25ACP that was brought over after WWII.........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: GunGeek Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/11/13
Lawdwaz,

There's a couple of interesting pistols you don't see too much. I used to see the Ortgies pistol at gun shows quite often, but now they're not common.
They both have kind of a sketchy history. I know for sure that the Suhl was war take off. The Ortgies I'm not sure of. They sure are a couple of neat little pocket pistols.
Posted By: ColKlink Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/12/13
This little guy has been my daily companion for over 20 years.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: night_owl Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/12/13
$275 with holster is about the most I'd pay.
Nice looking pistol with a little (normal) rust.
P.S. If the pistol is good, don't sweat the grip. The're fragile and replacements are available.
Posted By: Armen Re: "Classic" Pocket Auto's. - 03/13/13
I posted this one in another thread, but since I'm still logged in...

This .32 ACP Colt belonged to my grandfather. As G. Sitton used to say, just pulling it out of my safe and looking at it "gladdens my heart".

[Linked Image]
Some really cool looking pistols here, many have an art deco panache that appeals to me.

Guess because I have never been looking for one, they never catch my eye. Might have to take the winkers off.
© 24hourcampfire