Home
I'm wanting a hundgun to help the kids/wife learn to shoot a bit beyond my model 18. Was thinking a 19 would be the obvious choice but was wondering if maybe a 28 might not be a bad way to go either.

My 18 weighs in at 37.5oz and a recently departed 6" 28-2 tipped the scales at 42oz if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing a 4" 28 should come in at around 40. ? Not much of a factor when toting it around in the woods, but it may be a little easier on the kids as far as recoil.

Most rounds through this upcoming purchase will likely be mostly 38's with some occasional heavier 357 loads tossed in just to let them know what to expect.

Thoughts? Just go with a K frame because that's what they're used to? Go to the N frame to help with recoil? Or whichever I can get a better deal on?

I think the N frame might be a little big for kids. You might wantl to see if they can properly grip an N frame and manipulate the trigger.

Ernie
4" K-Frame = America
An N-Frame .357 will strike you as fairly large and heavy compared to a K-Frame and the grip will be larger as well. Not a really big deal, but the perception will be there. For the purpose you describe, it seems to me that a K-Frame 19 or 66 would be ideal, because the weight and feel will be virtually identical to the 18 you already have, and with .38's the recoil will be manageable.

Also, N-Frames are usually harder to find and more expensive than K's. If you MUST have a larger gun than a K, consider an L-Frame such as the 586 or 686; they have the same size grip as a K and are handier than an N.
Another vote for 19 or 66. I've been following 4" Model 66's on Gunbroker for awhile and be prepared to spend over $600 if you go that route.

66 or 19. No question.

Travis
5" K-38 is tough to beat.

A round butt K frame will probably help your kids in the hands/grip department.

For comfort with the wife/kids the grips are the most important. I've trained lots of folks to shoot and some women prefered a J frame model 36 to a K or N frame because of grip/hand fit.
K frame for them, N frame for you. If you are just buying for them, K all the way.

Just me, but I wouldn't get a 38. They may want to hunt with it some day and a 357 is pretty much minimum for the field. If you handload you can tailor any 357 load to their recoil tolerance and application within the boundaries the cartridge allows.
Good advice above but there is nothing as comfy as shooting 38s out of an N-Frame. Depending on what kind of grips your 18 has a 28 might not feel that far off, especially if you put something like Ahrends Retro Target grips on both.
Stick with a K-Frame. The Combat Masterpiece is a real nice gun that's still a bargain in really nice condition out there.
Originally Posted by deflave
66 or 19. No question.

Travis

+1�
A model 19/66 or, if you don't mind fixed sights, a model 13/65 would be you best all-round choices. N frames are just too much iron for young shooters or those with smaller hands to deal with.
I too would recogmend the Model 19. The K-frame has just one disadvantage....it is just a bit marginal in size for the .357. This means it will likely shoot loose over time if really HUGE numbers of full-power rounds are fired through it while the larger N-frame will easily stand up to abuse that will kill a K-frame.

What does this mean in the real world???? Almost nothing unless you are a rare individual who shoots thousands of rounds a year. For a more "normal" user, the K-frame will hold up for a lifetime of typical use.

The same argument was made about the original Ruger Flattop in .44 Magnum as opposed to the larger framed Blackhawk. The Flattop was "supposedly" too small for full-power .44 shooting over time. However in real life it works just fine. I have carried my own Flattop for more than 30 years now with no signs of trouble. I shoot it regularly, but not excessively (probably 200-300 rounds per year). For light to moderate use the lighter frame has no disadvantage.

What you gain from the smaller frame (Flattop or K-frame) is a gun that carries much more comfortably. Since must guns are carried more than shot, the smaller frame just makes sense. Unless you are a truely big individual (think 6'4" and 250 pounds) you will find the N-frame to be much more gun than you are comfortable with for regular carry.

Buy the K-frame (Model 19) and enjoy it for life.
I'm partial to L-frames but the K-frame size might be a better fit for the kid's hands.

Just bought a near mint, no-dash 4" 686 for my wife last fall that she carries when horseback riding.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I'm partial to L-frames but the K-frame size might be a better fit for the kid's hands.

Just bought a near mint, no-dash 4" 686 for my wife last fall that she carries when horseback riding.

MM

a couple of years ago i ran across a couple of 19's new, in the box. The six inch from memory was bought by the guy around 1972 and he had the receipt in the box. About 173 dollars. I wonder what a new in the box six inch model 19 is worth today? But there is no inflation, skeeter tells me so.
[Linked Image]

I've got this 19, but it's hard to go wrong with any Smith .357 regardless of frame size. The 19/66/13/65's are gonna buck harder. The 27's, etc. are gonna be nice to shoot but possibly a bit big for their hands. The L frames are my personal favorites.

The absolute best as far as being compact would probably be the 13/65. They generally came with slimmer grips although some of their adjustable sighted models had the slim grips too. Plus, you can change grips out easily. Just pluses and minuses with all of them. Probably the K frames win out for the kids.

Don't get a .38.

4 inch 686 is what you want
The L frame has the same size grips as the K frame, and you get a bit heavier gun that handles recoil better - so yeah a 586 or 686 would be a good bet.

But I think just about all the K, L, or N frame Smiths are a good bet, if you mount the Hogue rubber grips. The rubber gives a bit of cushion, and a secure grip, which inspires confidence.

Model 66. No question. When I close my eyes and think "All American High-Quality .357 Magnum Revolver" my model 66 no dash is the first picture that pops into my head. I know Colts have a strong following but I personally just do not see where all that money is. I know I am in the minority 'cause Python's are ridiculously high priced but all that does is leave more S&W's for me!!!!

Edit:You also can't go wrong with a 28 Highway Patrolman. Built like a tank.....
I carried a L frame as a duty weapon for nearly 10 years, shot at least 2000 rounds per year, it felt good both double action & single. I had a model 19 & a model 15 combat masterpiece over the years & sold my 19 to buy a personal 586. Both 4 & 6 inch shot exceptionally, put Pachmyer grips on the company gun, kept mine almost original, just thinned them a bit. I'd vote 586 or 686, that under lug barrel & larger frame really seemed to help with double action control.
MC
Originally Posted by deflave
66 or 19. No question.

Travis

This...

And a fitted set of herrett's grips, for each shooter, will add to the experience.
Thanks guys, I was and am still leaning heavily toward a 19. Although I do have one stainless wheelgun I just like the looks of blue on a revolver, so probably not going to go with a 66. Old school I guess.

As for the L frames. I haven't looked at many, but the ones I have just don't seem to have the smooth, solid feel as the older K-frames I've handled. Not looking at all to start anything on the merits of a 686/586, just what I've observed.

Thanks again.
686 best ever made
Too bad S&W dropped the 4" J-Frame 32 Mag. Perfect for ladies & kids. Another curiosity, why S&W wouldn't build a 4" J-Frame 38 Spl.? Strange...,

DMc
4" L frame with hogues.
I like my 19's, but I also bought 4" Model 65 that I carry bow and turkey hunting. Its a great choice since you can pick one up for around $400 as opposed to $500-600 for a comparable Model 19.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I'm wanting a hundgun to help the kids/wife learn to shoot a bit beyond my model 18. Was thinking a 19 would be the obvious choice but was wondering if maybe a 28 might not be a bad way to go either.

My 18 weighs in at 37.5oz and a recently departed 6" 28-2 tipped the scales at 42oz if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing a 4" 28 should come in at around 40. ? Not much of a factor when toting it around in the woods, but it may be a little easier on the kids as far as recoil.

Most rounds through this upcoming purchase will likely be mostly 38's with some occasional heavier 357 loads tossed in just to let them know what to expect.

Thoughts? Just go with a K frame because that's what they're used to? Go to the N frame to help with recoil? Or whichever I can get a better deal on?

If there�s a chance your wife or kids are going to be using this, you might want to look at a NEWER K frame with a round butt. Put a set of Pachmayer Compac Professional grips on (the one�s with the open backstrap) and you�ll find the round butt K frame fits their hands very well. A square butt K frame is much more difficult to find something that fits well.

Regardless, go with the K frame as the N frame really offers very little over the K frame, and will be even more difficult for your kids & wife to shoot.
Muleshoe: I am thinking a stainless S&W might serve you and your family well - and if practice and accuracy are priorities then I think the 4" Model 686 would fill the bill.
The added mass of the long shroud of the 686 might help the new shooters with a steadier sight picture.
The Model 66 S&W's in 4" barrels might also fill the bill and be easier to come by.
I bought my six shot ("older") Model 686 with a 6" barrel in 96%+ condition for $350.00 a month ago - and I was thrilled to get it at that price (with a top quality fitted leather holster and an American made gun rug - no ammo though).
Careful shopping for an older S&W in 357 should render you with a good investment of your dollars and if the pistol you first choose doesn't work out then you would not lose much (if any) money when you re-sell it.
Best of luck to you and the new shooters.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
L frame makes the most sense in a .357 magnum. It will handle all the .357 you will ever want to shoot and the recoil will be less with either .38 or .357 over the K frame guns. The N frame is best as a .44 IMO.
Originally Posted by k20350
Model 66. No question. When I close my eyes and think "All American High-Quality .357 Magnum Revolver" my model 66 no dash is the first picture that pops into my head. I know Colts have a strong following but I personally just do not see where all that money is. I know I am in the minority 'cause Python's are ridiculously high priced but all that does is leave more S&W's for me!!!!

Edit:You also can't go wrong with a 28 Highway Patrolman. Built like a tank.....

I love my 66, its a 6" er and shoots wonderfully
I have a soft spot for 357 wheel guns. I do have a few 6" models, but lately have been more into the 4". The last few years I bought a Model 65, 586, Ruger SP-101, & Security-Six, all 4" barrels.

I'd just have a few in mind as you continue your search. The vast majority of my shooting is done with 38 spcl loads, 2nd some lower pressure 357. I keep my upper end loads in reserve if & when needed.

A 357 gun with lighter loads is one of the best to teach new shooters, after the 22 is covered.
I really like my 586 Smith.
If you really need the .357 option then the 19 is the way to go...that said if 99% of the rounds that are going to go through the gun are going to be for plinking and playing look at the Model 15...they are still a bargain.

Nice 19s are bringing big money now whereas 15s in nice condition can be found in the $400s.

I started out in 1970 buying a set of S&Ws...a 19 and an 18. Put over 20K through the 19 before it was sold. If the wife and kids can handle the 18 ok either the 19 or 15 will work fine.

Bob
© 24hourcampfire