Home
I once had a Springfield XD-9 compact pistol, and have wondered why the Slovenia maker of this gun uses a plastic frame rail guide in the rear molded into the frame for the slide to ride on, while other mfg. companies like Glock and Smith and Wesson use a steel guide rail for both the front and rear?

Granted the XD's front rail guide is longer than other makers, but wouldn't the rear plastic rail guide wear faster and cause the slide to whip snake after awhile?

I never had any problem with my XD, but I lubed and cleaned it and kept my shooting limited, sold it as it was too clunky and top heavy for a conceal piece.
The XD platform has a large mono-block on which the slide rides. There is no need for front or rear steel inserts. All the stresses of slide cycling are taken up on the mono-block. The rear guides are simply that, "guides". They aren't even necessary.

My Ruger P-345 45 ACP has no inserts in the polymer frame. After a couple hundred rounds I have yet to see any evidence of wear...... even rubbing friction. Yes I'd feel better with inserts but........

© 24hourcampfire