Home
I've got a stash of .380 ammo, but currently have nothing to chamber them in. I have had Sigs P-230, PPKs, Kel-Tec P-3AT, and the Browning BDAs which were my favorites. Can't decide if I want to sell the ammo or find another pistol.

What's your opinion of the most reliable 380 Auto?
Sig without question is the "Caddilac". However, it is pricey and a bit bulkier than some of the others. Reliability is certainly suspect with a few of the .380's
Which Sig model? 238?
I owned a Sig 238 for a year or so. It was a nice pistol. It would feed and shoot anything you put through it. I got rid of it, because I wanted to upgrade to a 9mm (back when .380 ammo was $18/box and 9mm was $9.50). It wouldn't break my heart to own another P238--they are a nice pistol.
Yep 238
We have a Ruger LCP with CT lazergrips and a KelTec P3AT in the house. Next gun show the Ruger is going on the table and the KelTec is remaining in our possesion. Don't know or care about accuracy in these, the KelTec eats and spits out everything, even when I purposely treat it badly with dirt, sub freezing temps with no lube etc. and its trigger is much lighter than the Rugers.

If you don't get a new 380, I might try to trade you out of the 380 ammo.
I had a Ruger LCP for about a year and found it to be very reliable. However, I decided it was too difficult to shoot accurately at any range longer than up close and personal. Of course, that is what the .380 is designed for, but I decided I wanted a little more power with a little more accuracy. That said, I never had an operational problem with the LCP in probably 400 to 500 rounds fired.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Sig without question is the "Caddilac". However, it is pricey and a bit bulkier than some of the others. Reliability is certainly suspect with a few of the .380's

Can't argue with Sig, but I'd also add Beretta to that list, both the newer versions as well as the older 70s series.

Just a little big to be pocket guns though, but they conceal & carry nicely with a variety of holster types.

MM
The 238 is the only handgun i have, semi or revolver, that has never, ever, not once hiccuped. It's tiny but I find it easy to shoot, carry it almost 7/7 days/week, and for that reason without shame take it to some classes and shoot the piss out of it, though steel usually needs a double tap.
Originally Posted by JMB Fan
I've got a stash of .380 ammo, but currently have nothing to chamber them in. I have had Sigs P-230, PPKs, Kel-Tec P-3AT, and the Browning BDAs which were my favorites. Can't decide if I want to sell the ammo or find another pistol.

Funny, you said you've had a Browning BDA and you're asking what the most accurate and reliable .308 is; yet you've had the most accurate and reliable. When I read the headline on this thread, the first gun that came to mind was the Beretta 84, which is just the BDA with the safety on the frame (where it belongs IMO). The BDA is outstanding.

I guess it all just depends on what you want to do with the thing. If you want to shoot, then the Beretta 84/BDA is the way to go. For concealed carry, then match the gun to your carry style.

I have owned a Sig P230 for many, many years. Maybe a dozen years or more.
I can feed and shoot any 380 ammo without a problem. SA or DA that Sig always goes bang.
Great pistol.
Funny how things go some times. During lunch a friend here at work just loaned me his DVD copy of Skyfall / James Bond.
On the cover Daniel Craig is holding a PPK. Always wanted one of those in .380 cool
take a look at the Kahr P380. If you have to carry the SIG cocked and locked its just not the best option for concealment. The Kahr is very accurate as well.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Funny, you said you've had a Browning BDA and you're asking what the most accurate and reliable .308 is; yet you've had the most accurate and reliable. When I read the headline on this thread, the first gun that came to mind was the Beretta 84, which is just the BDA with the safety on the frame (where it belongs IMO). The BDA is outstanding.

KG: I agree. I did not trade away three BDAs over the years because there was anything wrong with them. Each time, there was just something I wanted more. I would not mind having another Browning or the Beretta either, but I did want to benefit from the experience of others before I lay down the cash.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
take a look at the Kahr P380.

I have heard good things about Kahr as well. I will have to check them out.
I love my Kahr P-380. I was very concerned about buying such a small pistol. I remembered owning small 25 auto pistols that shot so bad you wondered if a bullet was actually coming out. I owned one 25 that you couldn't hit a can from 3 feet with.

I can shoot 6 shot groups from 10 yards with the P-380 that I can cover with the mouth of a coffee cup and they are all to point of aim.10 yards doesn't sound like much but I figure it's the distance this pistol was designed for.
I have both the Sig P232 and the Browning (Beretta) BDA. They both shoot equally accurate in my hands, probably due to the fact that they both have pretty much the same sight radius.
I just shot a friends Sig P238 last week and, while it was a great little gun, the shorter sight radius made it more difficult to shoot accurately for me.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Yep 238

Another yep on the P238.
I can't believe everyone saying and recommending all the pocket guns which from what I have seen actually do have reliability problems. the LCP's kahrs all of them frankly suck in the reliability department. if you want a great shooting 380 I would think a glock that isn't sold here or the good ole PPK
Most Reliable ?
1. Sig P-230 Hands Down!
2.Beretta or Browning .380. Take your Pick.
3.KelTec P-380. I've had one since they first came out. Never jammed once,Never!
4.New Sig P-238. I've seen my buddies jam twice in about 350 rounds.

Worst .380 ?

Walther PPK .380 I tried three of them. Worst Jamm-amatic I've Ever Owned. You couldn't give me one! I'd just as soon carry a Baby Browning .25 mad
Laugh if you will, but I have 2 Star Super-SMs that are pretty darn reliable and accurate....
Sig P238 or the Kahr P380, both have good triggers, are reliable and accurate as you can get in a tiny gun.
My Kahr P-380 is far more accurate than you would think a little 380 would be.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I can't believe everyone saying and recommending all the pocket guns which from what I have seen actually do have reliability problems. the LCP's kahrs all of them frankly suck in the reliability department. if you want a great shooting 380 I would think a glock that isn't sold here or the good ole PPK

I had one FTF in the first 20 rounds. Kahr says it takes 200 rounds to break them in and won't even warranty one until 200 go through it. I have around 300 through mine with only that one FTF. I don't really shoot it that much now, I just run a mag through it from time to time and no problems of any kind.

My wife however can't shoot it at all. It jams at least once every mag with her. It makes me wonder how many of the reliability stories on the web are due to shooter error.
my little ruger 380 has never jammed and is plenty accurate for 10 yard shots. There is a spring kit for the ruger.

Buffalo bore ammo rules the day in the 380 line.
my wife's p380 jammed a couple of times the first time I shot it. I think there is about 150 rounds through that gun now. It has not jammed in the last 100. The pistol is exceptionally accurate.

What is the attraction to the SIG? It looks like a cocked and locked gun to me, for a gun that small you could carry it in your front pocket but I would not carry a cocked and locked gun that way also no grip safety. The Kahr's, Keltec, or Rugerlcp can be carried safely in a front pocket holster. I just don't like the idea of carrying a cocked and locked pistol in a pocket nor having to cock a gun before I shoot it.
What am I missing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4AVpxvGgg this guy likes the Kahr in a gun this size.
I would put my money on a CZ 83.

$400 perfection.
Who cares about 380's they bounce off of crack heads anyway crazy
if they made the CZ83 in 22LR they would have something.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

I guess it all just depends on what you want to do with the thing. If you want to shoot, then the Beretta 84/BDA is the way to go. For concealed carry, then match the gun to your carry style.

..what he said...Bob
Originally Posted by jimmyp
take a look at the Kahr P380. If you have to carry the SIG cocked and locked its just not the best option for concealment. The Kahr is very accurate as well.

I've read of issues with the early ones, but mine has been 100%, even during Khars' 200rd break-in period. Mine is very accurate as well.
I had always wanted a Walther PPK .380 - but always chose some other handgun when I had the $$$ and the opportunity.

Also the Sig Model 230/232 was an exceptional .380 pistol in its day - and I would still like to own one.

Both are 'classics'.

The little Sig p238 and a nice Remora holster is the only way go....:)
I really like my CZ 83.Well made and very accurate.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I had always wanted a Walther PPK .380 - but always chose some other handgun when I had the $$$ and the opportunity.

Also the Sig Model 230/232 was an exceptional .380 pistol in its day - and I would still like to own one.

Both are 'classics'.

Often see the Sig P-230 selling on GB for $500 ( + or - ). Had mine a very
long time and would NOT sell it for twice that price. It is a great handgun. cool
I bought a "new" used Sig-P232 on GB a couple of years ago (when the P-238 was all the rage) for $325.
If I was forced to carry a 380, I'd look into the Beretta 84, or similar Taurus.

Those at least have enough size to them to have a fair grip, good sights, sight radius, magazine capacity, and a little more barrel length for velocity.
Kahr
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
Laugh if you will, but I have 2 Star Super-SMs that are pretty darn reliable and accurate....
No laughing, Star made very good quality pistols.
NRA members - The February 2010 issue of the American Rifleman had a great article
on .380 ACP pistols. Several of them selling for under $400 brand new. They seemed
to like the molded polymer Taurus 738. Me ... I like 'em all laugh
Originally Posted by krupp
I would put my money on a CZ 83.

$400 perfection.

I agree they are excellent guns but sort of a niche gun IMHO. The CZ83 might be great for someone who wanted less recoil in a larger more easy to handle pistol. To me however the only reason to own a 380 is because I want the smallest pistol available. I would simply go to a 9mm if I wanted a gun as large as the CZ 83.
You've already had the best. The Browning BDA. One I had was amazingly accurate, very controllable. Wish I still had it.
Kevin - my Star "mini-1911s", while a bit long, are pretty darn flat and easy to conceal. I wish they had the grip safety, though...

[Linked Image]
I've owned several & IMO the Sig 238 & Kahr P380 are head and shoulders the best. I prefer the Sig for shooting comfort & accuracy, although a little heavier. The Kahr is great for special occasions where size/weight really matter. I'll keep them both! Had a Kel-Tec that was reliable but an absolute bear for comfort.
I've had and have beretta 84's. their the best running gun I've ever had. fits great shoots great
SIG 232 is pretty hard to beat.
Anyone have any experience with a Bersa Thunder 380?
My brother was a gunsmith at a Bersa factory repair shop, and he thought they were junk. Of course, all he saw were probably problem guns, so take that with a large grain of salt.
Ended up buying a Kahr .32...so far very accurate and no failures to cycle in about 100 rounds fired of almost all HP ammo...

Two rounds each distance...

[Linked Image]

Single head shots each distance...blew the 15 yard one..

[Linked Image]

Very happy so far with the gun...

Bob
HK P7 M8-K3 by far. A bit smaller than the 9mm P7 but more accurate.
Originally Posted by RJM
Ended up buying a Kahr .32...so far very accurate and no failures to cycle in about 100 rounds fired of almost all HP ammo...

Two rounds each distance...

[Linked Image]

Single head shots each distance...blew the 15 yard one..

[Linked Image]

Very happy so far with the gun...

Bob

That is the P-380 isn't it. It looks just like mine. For a cheap grip, you can cut a piece of bicycle inner tube just long enough to cover the grip and it will be a lot more comfortable. Mine has stayed in place close to a year and feels good.

I may be wrong but I always figured a round to the head, even with a 380 would take the starch out of anyone.

Colt Model M of 1908, made when craftsmanship really meant something... smirk

Or the H&K P7 variant in .380, which is very rare and probably $2k+ smile

You did say reliable and accurate, not "practical" grin
Yes..that is the Kahr .380... The grip fits me fine as is...

Was watching the Discovery ID channel a few weeks ago and they did a show on what was called the .380 Killer. he had robbed and killed all his victims with what turned out to be a Lorcin .380. All he used is ball ammo and about 5 people died right where he shot them...

I am not real big on the .380 but it apparently gets the job done...

Bob
© 24hourcampfire