Home
Posted By: boatanchor 38 Super / factory ammo - 08/06/13
I was just reading a thread where someone was talking about the 38 Super and finding factory ammo for it.
Do any of you that have a 38 Super use factory ammo ??????

I have tried factory ammo of several brands and NONE of it shoots good, In my opinion it is because they all use .355" diameter bullets like the 9mm.

I have been loading .356" diameter bullets in my 38 Super for years and they work much better, just this year I started using .357" diameter bullets and they shoot better still.

Why dont the factories use a .356" or .357" bullet in this chambering??
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 38 Super / factory ammo - 08/06/13
I had a Kart barrel put in my Colt Commander .38 Super and I can shoot .355-.357 and all shoot great. If you want a good load, try 7 grains of Power Pistol and a 124-125 grain XTP at 1.265" ( I use .355"). This duplicate the load from Wilson Combat.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: 38 Super / factory ammo - 08/06/13
I've shot thousands of .356 out of my supers back when I was competing. Accuracy never seemed to be a problem but they were hopped up pretty good to make major. But I'll agree, factory stuff was never very impressive.
Posted By: RJM Re: 38 Super / factory ammo - 08/07/13
Most accurate bullet in all my Supers is the Hornady 124 grain Flat Point...it is a .355 diameter bullet.

As to factory ammo, everything I have ever tried has been accurate. The Winchester ammo is loaded with the same 130 grain RN bullet that they put in the White Box .38 Special, which is a .356" bullet.

boatanchor..don't know what kind of gun you are shooting but if it is a Colt made before 1990 it will have the headspace on the case rim style chamber which do preform better with the larger diameter bullets. Exchange it for a newer heardspaced on the case mouth barrel and you may see a significant increase in accuracy with all loads.

Bob
© 24hourcampfire