Home
Looking for a Gunsmith to do a trigger/action job on a Ruger GP100. Any recommendations?
Try relieving a little bit of the tension on the hammer spring yourself. That usually makes a revolver trigger tons better right from the get go. Make sure to test fire it after so doing to make sure that you still have enough hammer strike energy going on to reliably ignite all primers every time.

Ruger GP-100's are very rugged and simply designed revolvers with far fewer small moving parts than, say, a Python and a few other revolver designs so any decent gunsmith worthy of the name should be able to polish up the bearing surfaces and replace a couple of springs in it for well under $100.00.

Good luck!
Terry Gardner at impact arms in Ogden Utah did a great job on several Rugers I know of including mine.

Mine was a tough one, it was a rim fire! It's outstanding now.
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=CP111
Anybody use Teddy Jacobson pistol smithing?
Originally Posted by safariman
Try relieving a little bit of the tension on the hammer spring yourself. That usually makes a revolver trigger tons better right from the get go. Make sure to test fire it after so doing to make sure that you still have enough hammer strike energy going on to reliably ignite all primers every time.

Ruger GP-100's are very rugged and simply designed revolvers with far fewer small moving parts than, say, a Python and a few other revolver designs so any decent gunsmith worthy of the name should be able to polish up the bearing surfaces and replace a couple of springs in it for well under $100.00.

Good luck!

No, never on the hammer spring. It has nothing to do with a SA trigger pull. Only getting rid of creep and a lighter trigger spring is needed.
I actually use over power Wolfe hammer springs of 26# to get 1-1/2# triggers on Ruger's and BFR's. Standard hammer springs are 22# to 23#.
I highly recommend Jack Huntington, 530-268-6877, He worked over a GP100 for me not long ago, you will not be disappointed
Originally Posted by Seasons44
I highly recommend Jack Huntington, 530-268-6877, He worked over a GP10 for me not long ago, you will not be disappointed

I second that recomendation, he did some work on a couple of guns for me and I found his work to be top flight and then some.
Just got off the phone with Jack. He rocks! Very helpful and extremely reasonably priced. Thanks guys!
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
No, never on the hammer spring. It has nothing to do with a SA trigger pull.

Sorry but this is untrue. The hammer spring puts tension on sear engagement. Reduce the hammer spring's rate and you reduce let-off. It's far from the only factor but it is a factor. This is easily verifiable with a sixgun, two springs and a trigger scale. Reduce friction in the action and you don't need a heavy hammer spring. The innards will also last longer with less spring tension.
I put a set of Wolfe (?) springs in my GP100 here at the house, not a big deal and it really improved the single and double action pulls. Just watch out for the little spring loaded plungers. FYI, Ruger is good about replacement parts...
Sent my sp101 to mossy creek customs a couple years ago and have been very happy with their work. I forget the guys name but he is a good dude
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Just got off the phone with Jack. He rocks! Very helpful and extremely reasonably priced. Thanks guys!

you will be pleased
Deleted
Tag for future reference
Tag as above
Boys, go with Mr. Jack Huntington. You will be pleased.
I recently used Teddy on a S&W 3rd gen. Great work.

I have spoken with him several times at the gun shows. While I would not say he is a mean guy he certainly is not too friendly. I cannot appreciate his attitude. Thus, I won't use him.

I have recently adopted the stance that I absolutely WILL NOT ship my guns for work if I can avoid it.
Not to highjack the tread, but any recommendations for a Ruger Single Action job? My son has a Super Blackhawk Hunter. Nice gun, but lots of creep in the trigger. Also, any recommendations regarding honing the cylinder on this revolver? Seems to be a popular choice amount the Ruger single action crowd. He got the gun as a present from me last December to commemorate his 6 years in the Navy. I'm leaning towards Bowen Custom unless someone has a better and/or more affordable option.

Thanks
I had David Clements work over my Ruger Bisley. He did a fine job.
Twenty years ago had a Ruger Security Six worked over. Came out beautifully. Smooth, crisp light trigger. Finally about wore it out and bought a GP100 to replace it. Put a Wolf spring kit in it and it came out great. Smooth, crisp and light. To be honest with you, it is hard to tell a difference between the worked over polished Security Six and the new GP100 with just a spring kit. Try a spring kit and if your not happy, then spend the money on a smith. And yes a lighter hammer spring makes a big difference.
© 24hourcampfire