Home
Posted By: AK_ARCHER $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
I'm looking into getting a new a new 1911, I have a Springfield " gi " model right now but I'm wanting to upgrade. My budget is around $1000 I'm not going to buy it tomorrow just want some recommendation to think about. I'm looking at Springfield, S&W, Sig, and maybe Ruger. Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot . The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.
Posted By: rdinak Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot

Sexual intellectual

Posted By: Timberbuck Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
Springfield Range officer would be the next step up.

Next would be a deal on a used Springfield TRP if you could find one for around $1000-1100.

That's about it unless you want to spend more or have a custom job done on the GI you all ready have.

The other $800-1000 1911's on the market like the kimbers and rugers are not really an upgrade over your GI.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
Why not just trick yours out?
Posted By: Eremicus Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
I would ask what are you looking for in an upgrade ? Better trigger and sights ? I'd upgrade the GI. Much better accuracy ? Then you might want a match model.
BTW, I've known lots of Kimbers including the Custom Target I own. The only time mine has failed to feed is when I insisted on feeding it lead, SWC handloads made from old, beat up brass.
Any factory made 1911 can have problems right out of the box. But these things often only reguire a trip to the maker to fix.
The other thing is that ammo loaded for the various 1911's can be the cause of the problem. Some of the older 10911's won't feed lead, SWC reloads or even jacketed SWC factory ammo.
If it were mine to choose, I'd go with a Smith & Wesson. The ones I've shot were very impressive. E
Posted By: jwp475 Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
Originally Posted by AK_ARCHER
I'm looking into getting a new a new 1911, I have a Springfield " gi " model right now but I'm wanting to upgrade. My budget is around $1000 I'm not going to buy it tomorrow just want some recommendation to think about. I'm looking at Springfield, S&W, Sig, and maybe Ruger. Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot . The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.

The Springfield loaded is a very good one.

Posted By: AK_ARCHER Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I would ask what are you looking for in an upgrade ? Better trigger and sights ? I'd upgrade the GI. Much better accuracy ? Then you might want a match model.
BTW, I've known lots of Kimbers including the Custom Target I own. The only time mine has failed to feed is when I insisted on feeding it lead, SWC handloads made from old, beat up brass.
Any factory made 1911 can have problems right out of the box. But these things often only reguire a trip to the maker to fix.
The other thing is that ammo loaded for the various 1911's can be the cause of the problem. Some of the older 10911's won't feed lead, SWC reloads or even jacketed SWC factory ammo.
If it were mine to choose, I'd go with a Smith & Wesson. The ones I've shot were very impressive. E

Better sights, barrel, trigger, finish, fit, overall better everything .

I don't think I will do anything to my current 1911 .

One buddy had a kimber raptor that would jam at least once every mag, he tried a few things but still kept jamming , another buddy has a 4'' kimber does the same stuff, the guy at the gun shop has seen multiple kimbers with the same stuff, so no kimbers for me.

And I did really like the loaded Springfield .
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.

The SA Loaded is what I'd buy for a basic off the shelf gun, not necessarily stainless, unless that's what you really like.

Get the model with fixed, night sights for around $875'ish.

MM
What are the main difference's between the RO and the LOADED Springfield ?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
I have a Sig Scorpion And love it. Even with the rail it points and balances well. Is very accurate, hasn't malfunctioned in the 7-800 rounds if run through it. Holster availability was difficult but was able to find quite a few makers
Posted By: 270winchester Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
I guess it would help if we knew what you were going to use another 1911 for. CCW? Plinking? Competition? The Springfield RO is built with competition in mind. Personally, I'd get the Springfield "Loaded" in blue or stainless, whichever you preferred. There's a reason a lot of Pro pistolsmiths start with the Springfield guns.
Originally Posted by 270winchester
I guess it would help if we knew what you were going to use another 1911 for. CCW? Plinking? Competition? The Springfield RO is built with competition in mind. Personally, I'd get the Springfield "Loaded" in blue or stainless, whichever you preferred. There's a reason a lot of Pro pistolsmiths start with the Springfield guns.

I would call it a fun gun, just to shoot and have fun. The only carry it would be used for is open carry in the woods or on a ATV, but I like my 44 mag SBH in bear country better.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
Springfield Loaded Model. Best bang for your $$$
Posted By: gunchamp Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
Another vote for the loaded all though the RO model is really all you need.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: $1000 1911 - 02/01/14
I must be luck I have never had a single issue with my Kimber
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14

I would not pass up a Colt.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Me either. My Custom Shop Super Carry Pro Lightweight Commander & my 10mm Match Elite have NEVER failed to feed or fire with ANY kind of factory ammo or reloads.
Lots of Kimber Haters out there. Haters gonna Hate.
Posted By: ClaysEtc Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
I guess that I'm the only one had has good luck with Kimbers,

this one is a commander sized unit, pro carry.
[Linked Image]

Alloy frame, stainless slide, set up with a clip draw so I

can just clip it on my drawers and go. That was good

enough for Skeeter and it still works great.

I have two loads for it, 200 Gr. LSWC, and 200 Gr.
XTP's, both over 4.5 Gr's of Trail Boss, lead for practice
and XTP's for carry. They both shoot to the same place, I can load the Mag with some of each and there is no difference.

I have 500 or 600 rounds through it and it functions perfectly.

The only thing I did to it other than the clip draw was to replace the rubber grips with a nice set of Ebony ones.
Posted By: AK_ARCHER Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Me either. My Custom Shop Super Carry Pro Lightweight Commander & my 10mm Match Elite have NEVER failed to feed or fire with ANY kind of factory ammo or reloads.
[b][/b]

Not a hater, I have a Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H that I'm very fond of I just base what I'm thinking off what people I know have experienced and what my local gun smith told me. And I've not herd a bad word about Springfield so that's what I'm going on.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
When I was looking for a 1911 to put a .460 Rowland in, Clark Custom Guns recommended Springfield.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
never owned a Kimber ,but haven't heard anything but praise for them and if in the market for a new 1911 that would most likely be my choice
Posted By: FreeMe Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

[b][/b]

Not a hater, I have a Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H that I'm very fond of I just base what I'm thinking off what people I know have experienced and what my local gun smith told me. And I've not herd a bad word about Springfield so that's what I'm going on.

I think Kimber's rep is still suffering from their misadventure with external extractors.

Buy what you like in that price range from any of the usual makers. Odds are it will work right out, and any problems will be easily fixed by a good 1911 mechanic. It's probably more important to have access to someone who really knows how to make a 1911 work, than to pick the "one" best 1911. Little problems become big problems with the wrong "fix".
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
Originally Posted by RickcNY
never owned a Kimber ,but haven't heard anything but praise for them and if in the market for a new 1911 that would most likely be my choice

You should get out more.
Posted By: AK_ARCHER Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by RickcNY

You should get out more.

He's from NY Kimber from NY:)

Sorry couldn't help it
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
For the money, I wouldn't kick the Ruger to the curb, they are a pretty good value,
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
AK Archer,

I've got the Springfield 'Loaded' stainless. Am happy with it's accuracy and have no reliability problems.

The stainless 'loaded' comes with either a Bomar style rear sight (think this is actually called the 'loaded target') or a Novak rear. Mine has the BoMar which has cut my finger more than once racking the slide, this morning is the second time I have done some dehorning work on it. Tried one at the dealers that had a Novak rear on it last week and kind of wished I had gone that route as it is sooo smooth around the rear sight. Use my 1911 for woods carry so 'Normally' don't need the option of changing the sights after I find a load for it. I say 'Normally' as these are not 'normal' times, as I deplete my powder supply I find that I am picking up any powder that will work and feel lucky to find any... the local sportsman's warehouse used to have a few hundred pounds of powder on the shelf... these day's it's some odd rifle powder or none at all.

From the 460 rowland xd conversion thread===>"What do I need for a 45 super, a different spring?"

Some folks just use heavier springs, some also use a square bottom firing pin stop to slow down the slide and some gunsmiths can change the lock up on a 1911 so that it stays locked longer. Your chamber needs to have as much support as possible and you should only use 45 Super brass which is thicker in the web area.

Jerry
Posted By: supercrewd Re: $1000 1911 - 02/02/14
Here is a solution to what I feel is the only problem with the GI models:

http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/

They might be able to do a trigger job at the same time. If not them there are plenty of other shops that can do one stop shopping.

Here is another option if you want to keep it in the "family".
http://www.springfield-armory.com/custom.php
Posted By: stevenautique Re: $1000 1911 - 02/03/14
I just picked up a SA range officer. Seems like a solid value ( I paid 680 NIB). Not crazy about their mags though. I am using it for a range / plinking gun. I wish the Dan Weston's were still under a grand!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: $1000 1911 - 02/03/14
for the money, Colt is a good buy. Good reports on S&W, though.

As far as Kimber, cool designs, but they tend to cut corners in actual mfg. I have a 10mm, which I think is a cool range/hunting toy, but it is not for serious use, even though I eventually got it to run reliably. They still have parts breakage issues.

For $1000, one should not have to shoot $200-$400 worth of ammo to "break it in" mad
Posted By: GunGeek Re: $1000 1911 - 02/03/14
S&W has some in that price range, they're definitely worth a look. For a carry gun, I really like the Colt XSE Commander in .38 Super or .45 ACP.
Posted By: AK_ARCHER Re: $1000 1911 - 02/03/14
I was on Colt's website tonight and I like the looks of the XSE series and the combat elite. What is the going price for colt's these days? They did not have a MSRP on the website.
© 24hourcampfire