Home
Posted By: woods_walker Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/09/14
Had always thought this combo would suit me well for a field gun and missed out buying one when Ruger produced a short run several years ago for a distributor. Recently the stars aligned and I was able to find one.

Now I need some leather.

[Linked Image]
I like it a great deal, woods walker. Most anything that needs doing with a short gun can be done well with that setup.
Oh, and I'd likely look to El Paso Saddlery.
Here's my Flat Top blued with EPS holster...looks like my pic size exceeds max...try again.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: byron Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/09/14
WW, Nice guns aren't they. I bought one of the Lipsey's when it first came out.
I too would humbly suggest EPS for your leather. Mine is the Tom Threeperson model in basket stamp. That and I just took delivery of a Diamond D Guides Choice. Nice leather!
Thanks Gents. Appreciate your comments. I have a few+ of El Paso Saddlery holsters and lean in that direction for a shuck. Threepersons are a favorite of mine.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/09/14
One of the greatest revolvers ever made; congrats!
Posted By: Gristle Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/09/14
I picked up mine this weekend. Blued 4 5/8 barrel. I plan on getting a set of Grashorn grips and an EPS 1930 model holster ordered this week for it. Shot it some yesterday with Winchester cowboy loads to just get out and punch holes in paper. Have about 500 peces of brass to get loaded up next weakend.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/10/14
I absolutely love mine. Great sixgun.

Travis
Gristle,

If you get a chance to share a photo that would be good. I like the Skeeter Skelton load of 7.5 grains of Unique under a Lyman SWC Keith for a go to handload.
What grip materials are you asking Grashorn to use in your build?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/10/14
One of the best Field Guns you could have purchased
Posted By: Gibby Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/10/14
You won't believe this, but it is true. A lawyer friend of mine bought a "reconditioned" in blue at Cabela's for $329.99 in the box three weeks ago. There was no blemishes at all. The trigger sucked but it was nice. Yes, they mispriced it and nobody even noticed until it was too late. For them. I did not believe him until he showed me the receipt. A lawyer no less. That is not Karma.
I don't believe you. wink
Posted By: Gristle Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/10/14
Don't hold the pictures against me....[Linked Image]

with my 4 5/8s SBH 44 magnum....[Linked Image]

woods walker, I'm wanting a pair of Elk grips with 1/2 bark for it. There is a gentleman on the Ruger forum who has a pair on his Blackhawk and they are very eye catching.
I got a stainless flat top, but in .45 ACP/.45 Colt convertible. It is fast becoming my favorite. I have the 4 5/8 - inch barrel.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/10/14
Yep, one of my favourite revolvers.
WW,

This is my favorite pistol, still I'm envious... diddled too long to find a stainless 44 Special.

Jerry

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

No skin off my nose! Ha!
Originally Posted by Gibby

No skin off my nose! Ha!

You know I just posted that because you mentioned that we weren't going to believe you, right?

I just don't want you thinking I was being asswholish toward you.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/10/14
This is one of my favorite field guns, Ruger Blackhawk 4&3/4 inch 45 Colt

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Had always thought this combo would suit me well for a field gun and missed out buying one when Ruger produced a short run several years ago for a distributor. Recently the stars aligned and I was able to find one.

Now I need some leather.

[Linked Image]

WW, I'm sorry to say that I had one of those Lipsey Specials a few years ago and, sadly, let it go. Nice gun, wish I still...........
Originally Posted by Gibby

No skin off my nose! Ha!

You know I just posted that because you mentioned that we weren't going to believe you, right?

I just don't want you thinking I was being asswholish toward you.

I was 99% sure of that. That's why I commented in a neutral way. I have seen that a lot on here. If you do not want something said, better not say not to do it. That's what I love about the fire is the sense of humor. I said what I said because the deal my lawyer friend got , at Cabela's no less. It actually pissed me off because I was in there just the day before and it wasn't out. We are cool bro! as the youngn's say!

VERY nice piece!

Another option for leather is http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html
Another satisfied EPS Threepersons user here.

[Linked Image]

These 4 5/8" .44's are just a joy.
If you plan to wear a pack with a waistbelt, the simply rugged cross draw sits a little higher and allows you to wear a pack and still draw the gun. That's what I've been using to run around with my flat top and it's worked great.
Posted By: JGray Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/11/14
I had a blued one on order from the first limited run (Lipsey's?) for almost a year with no luck getting it. Then a stainless one showed up at another dealer as what I believe was a regular catalog item. 4-5/8" just like yours - I grabbed it and never looked back. Very nice revolvers...
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Here's my Flat Top blued with EPS holster...looks like my pic size exceeds max...try again.
[Linked Image]

Who did your grips? Been thinking about doing the stag grips for my flattop 44, love those pistols. I think my favorite is the bisley.
The grips are elk and were on it when I acquired from safari man last year. He might know. I hear you on the Bisley, but have never owned one. Bruce
Nice rigs out there Gents.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/12/14
[Linked Image]

My favorite handgun, 44 flattop
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/12/14
One I have had for years.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/12/14

Now I need some leather.

[Linked Image]

WW: I've always thought these 6-shooters were the bees knees ... or whatever. I've got the 50th anniv, so .357 flavor. I use unique or trail boss and cast 158's. works like a charm.

Only ppl who reload know about the .44 special flavor, so I question how long they'll be around. I need to pick one up before they're gone, though.

As far as leather goes, mine rides in either the aforementioned tom threepersons, or the Galco SAO with ruger stamp onnit. I don't see as many folks talking about that Galco holster, but from a functional/well made standpoint, I think it's hard to beat.

[Linked Image]
Bought a little 5.5" barreled Lipseys flat-top in 44 Spec from CHLinstructor here on the 'fire.

Sweet little revolver, action is very smooth and precise, very nice to feel that level of quality from a factory six-gun.

I'm no revolver hand either, but she's averaging snuff can accuracy off my left knee seated at 25 yards firing the 275 gr cast performance bullet and H-4227 for an easy 1100 fps.

Gotta find a cool belt rig for this little shooter.

Gunner
I had Bowen and Turnbull make mine perfect.
[Linked Image]
I have some Ruger Checkered Rosewood grips and it rides in one of three rigs. El Paso, Mernickle (shown) or Simply Rugged Chesty Puller.
[Linked Image]

I use the LBT Original Keith and either Power Pistol or Unique for about 1,000fps.
The alloy used here was a little hard for hollow pointing as you can see from the one on the left recovered under a deer.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/12/14
Since we're all in agreement, here's a free bump from the Classifieds.

Flattop .44Spl with extras
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/13/14
I will take the aluminum grip frame over the New Model steel one every time.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/13/14
The steel frames do make them a bit hefty IMO.

Still my favorite six shooter right now.

Travis
Originally Posted by EdM

Do you mean the New Model Blackhawks chambered for something other than .44 Special or .44 Special conversions on the old 3 screw frames?

My confusion comes from the fact that they don't make the .44 Special with an aluminum frame and all of the New Models with aluminum grip frames are based on the larger ".44 magnum" cylinder frame.

I do agree that an aluminum grip frame would be better for these .44 Specials. Brian Pearce opined as much when he did his article on them back a couple of years ago. IIRC he mentioned that to Ruger as well but so far they haven't changed the frame to aluminum.
Originally Posted by deflave
The steel frames do make them a bit hefty IMO.

Still my favorite six shooter right now.

Travis

I need to find some bigger grips for mine, damn there skinny.

Gunner
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/13/14
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

I'm used to it.

Huh?

Travis
You can get wooden grips from Ruger - their rosewood grips for the New Vaquero. It's their item number 19871 for $39.95 plus shipping.

They are quite a bit wider than the stock plastic grips plus they look a lot better IMO.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/13/14
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by EdM

Do you mean the New Model Blackhawks chambered for something other than .44 Special or .44 Special conversions on the old 3 screw frames?

My confusion comes from the fact that they don't make the .44 Special with an aluminum frame and all of the New Models with aluminum grip frames are based on the larger ".44 magnum" cylinder frame.

I do agree that an aluminum grip frame would be better for these .44 Specials. Brian Pearce opined as much when he did his article on them back a couple of years ago. IIRC he mentioned that to Ruger as well but so far they haven't changed the frame to aluminum.

Not Ed, but feel the same way............and pretty sure he's referring to the old model aluminum not the new.

I've wondered if a guy could successfully machine out some of the steel from the new frames to lighten things up. Aluminum will always be lighter of course, but every gram would help.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/13/14
I love the skinny cheese grater grips.
I've had one for a few years now. As everyone else has said they are great revolvers. Very accurate too with 7.5g Unique under a 240 SWC. I changed the stocks out as the originals were too skinny for my hand, but you are not going to loose ahold of them with the aptly called cheese grater grips.

I also had an action job done on it and a Belt MTN #5 base bin put in. I pretty much plan on doing that to all my Rugers.

Someone mentioned they don't know how long these will be around since 44 Special isn't well known. From my experience let a teenager shoot it and he will be hooked. The young fella I let shoot mine hounded his dad until he bought one and will give it to the young man permanently when he makes eagle scout.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

I'm used to it.

Huh?

Travis

laugh

Gunner
You can get wooden grips from Ruger - their rosewood grips for the New Vaquero. It's their item number 19871 for $39.95 plus shipping.

They are quite a bit wider than the stock plastic grips plus they look a lot better IMO.

[Linked Image]

Hey Jim, Thanks for the hit, they do look better. smile

Gunner

[Linked Image]

Got em ordered, Thanks again Jim. smile

Gunner
El Paso Saddlery Co. Tom Threepersons. Lined Basketweave with extra coverage.

[Linked Image]
Numba One, GI. I like it very much.
Thank you Sir!
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/22/14
That sumbitch looks good. Not as good as mine, but good.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Travis,

No doubt that is one good looking sixgun you have there. Like that picture as well.

Originally Posted by Whitworth1
VERY nice piece!

Another option for leather is http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html

Thanks for the link to "Graveyard Jack's" leather.

The "Johnny Ringo" set is just plain badazz!
Originally Posted by bea175
This is one of my favorite field guns, Ruger Blackhawk 4&3/4 inch 45 Colt

[Linked Image]

Is this an older, large frame, or newer small frame?

I have a blued, older .45 convertible, as well as a newer stainless flattop.

The older blued one is a serious shooter. This surprises me, due to the amount of play in the cylinder. For whatever reason, it is a serious shooter, and loves 230 grain Blazer Ball with the ACP cylinder.

[Linked Image]

The newer one has tight throats and I need to ream it out. It seems to like Blazer ball as well.

[Linked Image]

Anybody want to swap a stainless grip handle from the new small frame, for an aluminum one that will fit? I would prefer to lighten it up just a bit.
Posted By: CraigC Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/23/14
I tuned in late. I was always one who swore they'd buy the first .44Spl Ruger made but by the time they made one, I had developed a strong preference for the Old Model, Colt-style action. This custom by Jim Stroh ruined me on that. With an aluminum XR3 grip frame, it's 37oz of pure pleasure to carry and shoot.
[Linked Image]

Then I found a used Bisley model last year and had to bring it home. It now wears CLC fancy black walnut. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, these New Model flat-tops are not lightweights. This one coming in at 1oz lighter than a 4 5/8" Bisley .44Mag.
[Linked Image]

I usually carry them in a Threepersons of my own make.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/23/14
Travis,

No doubt that is one good looking sixgun you have there. Like that picture as well.

Thanks. I almost shot a whole box of bullets through it that day.

Travis
You make some nice leather Craig. Prices seem reasonable too.

Travis
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Anybody want to swap a stainless grip handle from the new small frame, for an aluminum one that will fit? I would prefer to lighten it up just a bit.

I think I'd like the aluminum more better as well. But I have ultimately decided to leave my Flattop bone stock. It's just just too damn good to mess with.

Travis
Nice revolver -- Had mine about 3 years or so. I load 3 different bullets in it and enjoy shooting them all. I carry mine often and I don't understand how it could be carried in a Three Persons without opening your arm up on the rear sight frame. It needs to be covered. Here's what I did.

[Linked Image]

I then put some thicker grips on it -- better for me.

[Linked Image]
Nice Sixgun.

I carry the holster a bit behind my right hip. Never had issues with rear sights.
Weight is more of an issue while doing chores and holstering with a heavy pants belt. A 2.5" holster belt remedies that but is not always the best way to go for me. So I am looking at trying one of the chest holsters.
Get an El Paso Saddlery Tanker.

Love it.

Travis
[quote=CraigC]I tuned in late. I was always one who swore they'd buy the first .44Spl Ruger made but by the time they made one, I had developed a strong preference for the Old Model, Colt-style action. This custom by Jim Stroh ruined me on that. With an aluminum XR3 grip frame, it's 37oz of pure pleasure to carry and shoot.
[Linked Image]

CC

That Stroh Sixgun is a Beauty! Did he Hard Chrome that for you? The sculpting of the front sight base is excellent. Who did the grips?

You have mentioned that before and frankly that is where I seem to be headed.
Posted By: CraigC Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/23/14
Thanks! I think Stroh's front sight is the best looking in the business. He farmed out the hard chrome to Accurate Plating. I've had it for about 14yrs and it hardly shows any signs of use. Just a few shiny spots on the unplated aluminum grip frame. The grips are antique paper micarta by CLC.
Posted By: byron Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/24/14
WW, As I mentioned earlier, I purchased the Diamond D Guides choice. Check it out. Might be one you will like. Sure liking mine. Adjusts easily, and works well with a back pack.
byron,

I will take a look a that Holster as well.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/24/14

[Linked Image]

outstanding!

[Linked Image]

I'm not a big connesouir of leather and most of my stuff is utility as it's subject to lots of scrapes, bangs, etc., but I just love El Paso Saddlery's work! I'm going to get one of their Threepersons model for my NM Blackhawk .44 Sp. I guess to be in business for 125 years, you have to be doing something right!
Nice Sixgun.

I carry the holster a bit behind my right hip. Never had issues with rear sights.
Weight is more of an issue while doing chores and holstering with a heavy pants belt. A 2.5" holster belt remedies that but is not always the best way to go for me. So I am looking at trying one of the chest holsters.

Hard to believe it doesn't eat up your clothing. How do you protect the rear sight during "choring"?

I have both a chest holster and a shoulder holster for my Flattop but they get in the way also -- at least for me. With the chest holster; I'm forever banging it on machinery. I bought an Uncle Mike's Rigger's Belt to go with the hip holster and cinch it up tight. got it extra large, so that I can put it on over a coat if I wish. I also carry one of the UM ammo carriers with hardcast and shot cartridges. Makes a fairly handy outfit and I leave it all put together and ready to go.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/24/14
What kind of chest holster are you using?

Travis
Can't recall the brand name. It's a MT made product. The maker is usually at the big Great Falls gun show in the Spring -- That's where I got it. It's well made (not at all fancy but decent leather). He told me it would be great on a horse -- just doesn't work well for me unless it's under a heavy and over-sized coat.
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
Can't recall the brand name. It's a MT made product. The maker is usually at the big Great Falls gun show in the Spring -- That's where I got it. It's well made (not at all fancy but decent leather). He told me it would be great on a horse -- just doesn't work well for me unless it's under a heavy and over-sized coat.

I bet it was Norm Schertenleib of MontanaHolster.com
http://www.montanaholster.com/
That's him --- really nice guy --- I see he refers to his product as a shoulder holster instead of a chest holster.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 03/24/14
I was just curious. Don't think I have anything from him.

Let me know if you want to send it down the road!

Travis
Larry,
My response was directed to your comment about opening your arm on the rear sight not any other wear and tear. I also based that answer from experience with several Blackhawks one with a stock rear sight and the other with a Bowen, as I just got this flattop it does not have many miles on it at this point but no issues so far. I need to take another look at how the revolver is positioned in the holster where the leather meets the frame.

Your rig sounds like a good solution.
A couple of El Paso Saddlery Three Persons and a Ruger Bianchi Flap holster. I think the way the revolver is positioned in the TTP holster helps to minimize contact with the rear sight.

[Linked Image]

When better protection is needed this Ruger/Bianchi Flap holster gives pretty good coverage for the revolver and grips. Not a bad way to go.

[Linked Image]

Some grips you just want to give some TLC to like this Bowen tuned Old Model .45 Colt with Sambar Stags.

[Linked Image]

Larry,
My response was directed to your comment about opening your arm on the rear sight not any other wear and tear. I also based that answer from experience with several Blackhawks one with a stock rear sight and the other with a Bowen, as I just got this flattop it does not have many miles on it at this point but no issues so far. I need to take another look at how the revolver is positioned in the holster where the leather meets the frame.

Your rig sounds like a good solution.

NICE LEATHER!!!

I'm starting to wonder if my sight frame is somehow sharper than other examples. Mine --- literally --- will cut the inside of your arm the way a box cutter would with only a tiny bit of box cutter blade exposed.

I can't position it behind my hip, because I'm often on a 4 wheeler, tractor or horse.

Sometimes I over-think things like this: if you've had no problem maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it. It's surely sharp, though. Way different than my non-FlatTop Blackhawks.
I've had a Trailrider holster like this one for a few years and it is designed to protect the sight but leave the grip exposed for an easy draw. The flap covering the sight and hammer is a thumbsnap so you unsnap it naturally as you draw.

[Linked Image]

http://www.gunfighter.com/trailrider/tr_holster3.html

The leather is serviceable but a bit stiff, not the supple, thick leather of some of the nicer makers. If anyone has ever had an unlined Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake holster the leather thickness reminds me a bit of that. They do make a lined version but I couldn't comment on it as all I've owned is the unlined version.
Jim--

Your holster is a handsome version of what I was trying to accomplish by sewing the leather flap on my old holster.
Just a heads up... Multiple Ruger SS .44 Special Flattops for sale on the Ruger Forum.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/06/14
One of those is just about tempting....
Posted By: jstall Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/07/14
[Linked Image]
Here my 44 Special Flattop and El Paso Saddlery rig!
I like your style!
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/08/14
Damn jstall. That rig makes me want to pistol whip a drunk man.

Bad ass.

Travis
Posted By: jstall Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/08/14
Thanks Deflave, I went all the way with that setup, cause I wasn't going to do it but once. The grips are exhibition grade Abonya Burl from CLC custom grips. He makes killer grips for a Ruger. The El Paso rig is a Tom Threepersons with 2 1/4" gun belt, extra fancy floral carved.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/08/14
Awesome rig. Heirloom schit.

Travis
Very nice.
Posted By: jstall Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/08/14
[Linked Image]
Here's one more. Sorry I can't help it!

[Linked Image]

My Flattop is a Magnum.
Originally Posted by jstall
[Linked Image]
Here's one more. Sorry I can't help it!

This is making me want to take my flattop shooting when I get back home! Love that rig.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

My Flattop is a Magnum.

My God, man - you've killed it!!!

I know Bucks are tough knives but you could have just cut a bolt with it instead of embedding it in the topstrap like that...

[Linked Image]

My Flattop is a Magnum.

My God, man - you've killed it!!!

I know Bucks are tough knives but you could have just cut a bolt with it instead of embedding it in the topstrap like that...
lol
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/09/14
One of my other Flattops is a 40.

[Linked Image]
Yeah I like that one.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/09/14

[Linked Image]

My Flattop is a Magnum.

I've got one of those too:

[Linked Image]

i think about chopping the barrel sometimes. a lot of times, actually

8 g of unique and lead 240's
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/09/14
I'd be inclined to leave those Flattop Magnum's alone...

Nice revolvers.

Travis
Posted By: CraigC Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/09/14
I like mine but it's a wee bit redundant. It's probably going to become a five-shot Bisley .500 with octagon barrel before too long.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Ruger Flattop .44 Special - 04/09/14
Originally Posted by CraigC
but it's a wee bit redundant

the appeal to me of the flattop is that the old school XR3 grip frame fits my hand better. that being said, I've never launched full-house .44 mags out of it, always some mild to medium combo of unique & lead.
© 24hourcampfire