Home
Posted By: rifle Novaks on my Springer - 04/02/14
Old eyes are catching up...Sent my old Springfield to Novak's to have cuts and nite sites installed. This is an old model(1985) mil-spec with staked in front site.
It got to the point I felt like I was just pointing a muzzle at something. It's been a good one, feed it well,it shoots well...two weeks, we'll see...again
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/02/14
If your eyes are getting old, you might want to call them and ask them to open up the rear sight notch to make room for a little more light on either side. Handgun sights on combat pistols are always setup like a Patridge target sight with tiny slivers of light on either side. May be fine for the range, but it sucks most everywhere else.
Posted By: rifle Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/02/14
Good point!
Posted By: rifle Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/23/14
It's back and done perfectly! Nite sight up front and all-black and wide notch in back. I'll try to shoot it this week and get some photos....
Well done Novak!
Posted By: Mink Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/23/14
Did you just send the slide in or the whole gun? I am getting to the point where I want to do this for my BHP.
+2 on opening up the back sight notch.

I recently bought a Ruger 1911 with the three dot sights.

I took a needle file to the back sight, opening it up to the edge of the dots.

WAY better for my 61 year old eyes!

Virgil B.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/23/14
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
+2 on opening up the back sight notch.

I recently bought a Ruger 1911 with the three dot sights.

I took a needle file to the back sight, opening it up to the edge of the dots.

WAY better for my 61 year old eyes!

Virgil B.
I've been doing that since I was 16 years old. I just don't understand why gun manufacturers and sight makers make target sights for combat guns. For a combat gun you want a good deal of light coming in on either side of the front sight. When I shot IPSC, my times would take a major improvement the second I opened up the front sight. It helps you shoot faster and you don't give up any precision.

This is the classic, "because we've always done it this way".
Posted By: RufusG Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/23/14
Originally Posted by GunGeek
you might want to call them and ask them to open up the rear sight notch

Novaks offers a wide(r) slot rear as one of their stock sights, or at least they used to.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/23/14
Novak is a good outfit.
Posted By: rifle Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/23/14
Originally Posted by Mink
Did you just send the slide in or the whole gun? I am getting to the point where I want to do this for my BHP.

I sent just the slide, if and when my nite sights go dead on my BHP, I'll send the whole gun and have them sight it to my load...
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/24/14
they do good work so does ToolTech
Posted By: rifle Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/24/14
Photos...I can live with this!
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Great looking old Springfield. I like the sights. How long did it take?
Posted By: rifle Re: Novaks on my Spriinger - 04/24/14
Had it back in 2 weeks and I'm now trying to find a set of skip-line checkered grips for the old thing(me)
Great sight picture...
It's Novak sights that came on my Ruger 1911.

They still needed opening up. I gained close to 1/16" with my needle file by filing to the edge of the dots.

I sure can get on target quicker!

Virgil B.
© 24hourcampfire