Home
The subject holster always gets mentioned as the better option to the Serpa.

So I went looking around at the Safariland ALS options at Midway. Looks like there are a couple options for a paddle left-hand Glock 17.

I'm seeing a 6378, and a 7378 that look roughly like something I would prefer.

Which one is the favored model among users? What are the differences?

Thanks, Shane
The 6378 is all I've seen, that and their "tactical" versions that come in subdued colors. The latter look to be a heavier plastic, like the old 6004 with a hood I'm sure you've seen and probably used. I've not talked to anyone who's had an issue with them but the people I run with are old farts who run ranges, not fastroping onto buildings anymore. The lock in both of them is the same. That lock, with enough draws, can wear out. Safariland will replace it.

The best place to buy ANY Safariland Gear is Cop Quest. The Safariland catalog is a maze. You can figure out what you need better from Cop Quest's site than from Safarilands.
I have no experience with Safariland ALS at all.

How is the retention feature released on the ALS?

Shane, i hope this helps a bit

We use the 6360 and 6365 holsters ours differ in that they have the SLS hood in addition to the ALS. Which turns the holster into a level three retention
Good info.

I don't think I need or want Level III. I just want to know my pistol won't accidentally fall out of the holster, yet is still easily and quickly accessible.

Lanyards were mentioned in the Serpa thread. We were issued lanyards in the USMC, but I don't think they are really the answer I'm looking for.
Then the basic 6378 will serve you fine. Check youtube and search Safariland 6378
I've converted completely to ALS models, with and without the rotating hood. I even have one on my comp belt, it just doesn't give up that much in speed at all. But they're definitely rock solid and secure.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've converted completely to ALS models, with and without the rotating hood. I even have one on my comp belt, it just doesn't give up that much in speed at all. But they're definitely rock solid and secure.

A 3-gunner only has to loose a pistol one time to be a convert to a retention holster. Like you said, the ALS really has no penalty to speak of, especially if you train with it. Don't dry-fire and then go try to draw against the clock and you'll get embarrased. I learned that the hard way.
Yep. Have you tried the "Sentry"?
No I haven't.
Shane,

I will have mine over Memorial Day if you want to check it out.

I love 'em.

Travis
Thanks Travis, I'm not sure what our plans are going to be for Memorial Day.
© 24hourcampfire