Home
Posted By: bwinters 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
I'm looking for a 3-4" 357 for general defense work. By general, I mean woods bumming, people, plinking, etc - general purpose. I'm thinking a Beartooth 165 FN (looks alot like a WFN) or something similar running about 12-1300. I do alot of bumming around in the woods and run into a fair amount of bears. Bears close to the Smoky's are not afraid of people and I've had encounters with them measured in feet. I also run into some sketchy people back in the hills and think I've come close to a few weed patches.

I've been carrying one of my 9m's with Winchester 147 gr defense ammo. I'm not crazy about shooting this ammo at a pissed off bear. It be fine for 2 legged vermin but don't think it'd cut it for a serious bear encounter.

What do you guys think of a 357 for this duty? Bullets you'd suggest?

Thanks.
I'd be tempted to run some of the Barnes xbp 140 grain HP's for the application you describe.

I think a 357 is very adequate. How many bears have you had problems with? If it does happen from time to time I'd use 180 HC maybe the Buffalo Bore ammo or Fed Premium 180 Cast Cores. If not maybe a good 160 grain hard cast or 158 gr HP.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14

This is your Huckleberry, a Smith and Wesson 686+ with a 3 inch barrel and 7 shots. I would run 158 grain JHP in it. Bears won't like that one bit and neither will anything else you shoot with it...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
I used to carry in the woods and around town a 3� Ruger SP101 loaded with Buffalo Bore .38 Special +P L.S.W.C.H.P.G.C. that chronographed at 1064 fps mv out of that gun. (Buffalo Bore advertises 1143 out of the same model.) It was not a hard round to handle.

Buffalo Bore now advertises a .38 Special +P Outdoorsman 158 grain hard cast Keith that it claims to run 1116 out of a 3� inch SP101. I have not tried that, but it should penetrate better.

I tried some Buffalo Bore .357 Magnum 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC in the same gun. I actually fired 10 but don�t know what I was thinking. It was too much for me. Getting off a second shot at a charging critter with any accuracy would have been difficult for me.

I also would consider CT�s solution of testing some Barnes bullets. I never got around to trying them.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is your Huckleberry, a Smith and Wesson 686+ with a 3 inch barrel and 7 shots. I would run 158 grain JHP in it. Bears won't like that one bit and neither will anything else you shoot with it...

[Linked Image]

That or one of the 386's if you were lucky enough to find one. Same gun but Scandium/Ti.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I think a 357 is very adequate. How many bears have you had problems with? If it does happen from time to time I'd use 180 HC maybe the Buffalo Bore ammo or Fed Premium 180 Cast Cores. If not maybe a good 160 grain hard cast or 158 gr HP.

Haven't had to shoot or spray one yet but have had both gun and spray in my hand a few times. I normally give them their ground - the bears in the Park will literally walk down the same trail you happen to be on and expect you to move. They aren't moving out of the way. 1-2 people get bit every year. The last person killed was a women 4-5 years ago killed while hiking.

Not so worried about the bears but do run into more than a few sketchy people.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
I like the smaller Smith's alot. I was thinking a Ruger SP 101 or an older Security Six. They both weigh about the same.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
A nice moderate weight 357 field gun has been my choice for decades. My favorite chambering for hunting big game with a revolver is 44mag, but for a pack gun when hiking and camping around black bear, and as a backup when I was hunting black bear with a bow, my favorite was a nice trim 357mag revolver. Even for a very large black bear, I am of the opinion, that a worst case scenario would be a head down and head on charge with a bear intending to bowl you off your feet, vs. a common bluff charge. A good hard cast load from a 357 has ample horsepower to plow though the front end of a bear, and in my opinion, easier to shoot accurately, and easier to recover for subsequent shots than a similar weight 44mag. I�d not be too concerned, there are brown bear guides in AK who routinely carry a 357mag revolver using the same logic. In addition, the 357mag has an outstanding track record on those two-legged critters in need of being shot.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
I probably have 1 dozen handguns , 22rf,9mm,.357,38 sp, 38-40, 44 mag, 45ACP.

I have 4 four .357's, a 6" SBH,a 6" 686,a 2' 66 and a 4" Security Six.

The Security Six is my favorite and it goes with me on almost all outdoor outings. A 158 gr Hornady XTP, with 13 gr of 2400 will work on most anything I am apt to encounter.

I don't think Ruger has made a comparable handgun since that model
Posted By: RJM Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
Nothing wrong with a good .357 Magnum but from personal observation, experience and a lot of reading calibers under .40 have to make up in velocity what they lack in caliber.

That said the .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP at 1400+ fps is the standard by which all defensive calibers are judged. For two legged defensive use and good round will do. My personal favorite is the Speer Gold Dot HP and it holds together on impact and has the best barrier penetration record. I've known several people ho have lung shot deer with this round and it has been deadly effective. The 125s are also excellent varmint rounds as they will start opening on contact. I've shot small to medium game (woodchucks, skunks, rabbits) with lead SWC .357s at 1250 fps and have then run off or take multiple shots to put down. They have laid right worn however with high speed JHPs.

For general shooting and bear defense a hardcast 158-180 works fine. But as one of the above posters said...how many bear you going to even encounter let alone shoot in this lifetime. But a load made up for carry in the outback is wise..I know I have one when carrying a .357 Magnum.

My favorite all-around .357 Magnum is a stainless 4" Ruger GP100...it is just about bombproof... There are smiths who can tune and smooth the action to that of a Smith, the price is less, and the sights are quick change and lots of options available. Mine has a green FO front and w/o rear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I need something smaller for fishing, canoeing or backpacking I like the S&W 60-10 3" (now the 60-15). J-frame, 5 shot, full underlug with adjustable sights.

[Linked Image]

A Ruger Flat Top 4 5/8" or a Freedom Arms 97 with 4.25" barrel would be SA picks...

Bob

Posted By: 458 Lott Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm looking for a 3-4" 357 for general defense work.
(snip)

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with your combination fed 160-180 gr cast @ ~1200 fps. I'd vote for the Ruger GP-100 4.2" ss.

[Linked Image]

Reasonable size to pack and you'd have to work hard to wear it out in a lifetime.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
I'm looking for a 3-4" 357 for general defense work. By general, I mean woods bumming, people, plinking, etc - general purpose. I'm thinking a Beartooth 165 FN (looks alot like a WFN) or something similar running about 12-1300. I do alot of bumming around in the woods and run into a fair amount of bears. Bears close to the Smoky's are not afraid of people and I've had encounters with them measured in feet. I also run into some sketchy people back in the hills and think I've come close to a few weed patches.

I've been carrying one of my 9m's with Winchester 147 gr defense ammo. I'm not crazy about shooting this ammo at a pissed off bear. It be fine for 2 legged vermin but don't think it'd cut it for a serious bear encounter.

Thanks.
Sounds like a job for a 4" S&W model 19/66 (depending on which finish you like). Back when I used a .357 for black bears, I used a 158 grain JHP as I found it tended to make more of an impact than the hard cast .357's. I personally think you benefit from the expansion you get with the JHP's with a .357. If it were a .44 or a .45 caliber bullet, then the had cast would be a good choice.

For me, I'd use a Remington HTP 180 Grain JHP or a Speer Gold Dot 158 Grain JHP.

Regardless, the K frame Combat Masterpiece is the best blend of carry friendly, shooter friendly in a .357 Magnum. After that would either be an old Security Six 4" or a non-under-lugged GP-100 and a good trigger job on all of the above.

For defense against bears, I wouldn't go under 4" because you need every little bit of velocity you can get.

Personally, I'd opt for a .41 magnum. I got into a fight with a black bear while carrying an 8" Dan Wesson .357 and I sold the .357 after that incident. Honestly it did the job, and I placed shots very well but the bear took too long (for me) to die. When I went back into the field the next day with the .44, the difference couldn't be more pronounced; what a HUGE difference.

The Taurus Titanium Tracker in .41 mag would be an awesome woods packin gun in .41 mag.

Now personally, I'd think a 1911 in .45 Super with that hard cast load that JWP475 has would be THE ideal gun for what you're looking for. Second choice would be a 1911 in 10mm with either a 200 grain JHP or a 180 grain cast flat point.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 357 for general defense - 06/30/14
hard to beat a good Smith & Wesson Model 19 for woods walking. I load mine with either a Sierra 140 grain JHP over a good dose of SR4756, or a 158 grain Speer LSWC over BlueDot powder.
Accurate, effective, easy to handle.

[Linked Image]
Nothing wrong with a 357 , at all
Ronnie
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
I really like the 4.2" SP101. It's a 5 rounder, so if the 6th (or 7th) round is important to you that might put it out of the running. Solid gun, good sight radius, less blast than a 3", and less bulk than many other full size .357's.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Although I'm a S&W man, I've taken a liking to the Ruger GP100 3in TALO Wiley Clapp edition.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wil...mp;ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=698
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14

Thanks.

for what you list as "possibles", you will never go wrong with that chambering--and in my opinion and experience, the 4 inch stainless steel Ruger Security six, or the GP-100 are as good as it gets. (the 3 inch Ruger GP-100 is also mighty fine medicine). in my opinion, the Security Six feels a little nicer in handling and balance, but the GP-100 boasts an excellent crane lock, and is bull strong...

for a "broad spectrum pill" that will suffice for what you list, i would suggest the Speer 170 Deep Curl SP, powered to that "ain't no-more" level of velocity, and walk/hike with confidence, worrying little about bears that may want to scratch and bite.

as a side note; i've run into a lot of bears over the past 35 years of hiking--some just a few feet away. in every instance that i can recall--save for one--they have split the scene--like lightning flash. the one that waited about 4 seconds before taking off is the only one i would have had time to shoot--had it been necessary...
Posted By: RJM Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Nice....

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100WC.htm
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I'd be tempted to run some of the Barnes xbp 140 grain HP's for the application you describe.

The 140's are a sheer plow, the 125's at an easy 1450 are hell on wheels too and a bit less flip.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I really like the 4.2" SP101. It's a 5 rounder, so if the 6th (or 7th) round is important to you that might put it out of the running. Solid gun, good sight radius, less blast than a 3", and less bulk than many other full size .357's.

I got the 3" 101 for my wife and it's very accurate and rugged but I wish I would have got the 4.2" mentioned above. I worked up some 190 grain hunters supply hard casts to 980 fps over titegroup and they shoot well but look like they are starting to lean on paper at 50 feet. Accuracy is under 2" at that range from a rest but the holes are less than round so I need to test further out and see if the tumble. I'm really thinking about going back to the 158 xtp but the fastest I could run them was 1200 fps from the 3". A 4.2" barrel would be nicer for getting a little more speed.

As a side note my s&w shield 40 will run 180 xtps over 1050 with longshot.

Bb
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14

Not so worried about the bears but do run into more than a few sketchy people.

If you're not really worried about the bears, then the 9 will do fine for 2 legged vermin; if you want the 357 for double duty insurance, then, IMHO, the 4" S&W 686 is your huckleberry.

Balances better than a 19, albeit with a slight bit more weight. Lots of nice used ones available at a reasonable price point.

158 gr FN hard lead or hollowpoint of your choice pumped up is hard to beat.

MM
Posted By: bea175 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
The 357 i carry the most is my 4 inch Smith 686 with a good Hard Cast 158 gr SWC.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SansSouci Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
I think that the .357 Mag is our most versatile handgun cartridge. It's capable of killing deer, and with shot capsules, birds. So it's an excellent survival gun. While I do have great respect for the .357 Mag, I think it is one our most overrated handgun cartridges.

We fish the Eastern Sierra. It has more black bears than trout. According to National Geographic, a male black bear in heat is the most dangerous animal in North America. We've seen many in the Eastern Sierra. We saw one last year in the June Lake Marina parking lot that had to go a solid 400 lbs. I had my then 11 year-old daughter with me. I try not to think about her walking across the parking lot to the restroom with that beast on the prowl.

I used to own a 6" Model 629. It was a huge gun, too big for trail carry. I was never able to master it. I could be accurate with the first shot. Recoil made accurate follow-up shots not too likely. I sold it with no seller's remorse.

Because of the bear we saw last year, I bought a 4" blued GP-100. I plan to load a hundred max velocity 180 grain Partitions for use as black bear defense. 180 grain Partitions have excellent sectional density which should translate in to ability to penetrate. I figure that six .357 Mag 180 grain Partitions ought to change a bear's dining plans. Better, I can shoot six 180 grain .357 Max a lot faster and more accurately than six .44 Mag rounds.

So far, we've been lucky. But we also have a planned response to a potential bear encounter. My kids know to drop everything they have and slowly walk behind me. We will give a bear everything we have...except our lives. Our goal is to leave the area to a bear without my having to kill it. But should it decide that our plans won't work for it, I will kill a bear before I'd allow it to get near my kids. My worry is that our smelling of fresh trout might confuse a bear causing it to think we're on its menu.

I'm considering a .41 Rem Mag. But if recoil prevents quick follow-up shots, I ain't going that route.

For bipedal vermin, I prefer .38 Special LSWCHP 158 grain +P. BTW, I have never bought in to the legend of a defensive handgun as a man stopper. It's good gun magazine stuff but lacks real world application.

Ask me and I'd say that John Browing's magnum opus in .45 ACP ain't yet been bested for bipedal self-defense. Nine 230 grain +P .45 ACP would probably work as well as six 180 grain .357 Mag Partitions for black bear defense. A 1911A1 is easy to carry, very quick to battery, and can be reloaded far more quickly than a revolver.

So, bwinters, I think a good-quality .357 Mag ought to fill your bill. As another poster indicated, I'd be reluctant to go below a 4" barrel. Also, I'd avoid super lightweight handguns. I have a 2" Model 60. Firing it with .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP +P is not fun. Accurately shooting five of those rounds quickly would be a feat for a master shooter. Thus, I'd go with a steel gun so as to make recoil manageable. A fired bullet is worthless if it misses its target.

One more thing: if you might encounter a black bear, I'd suggest using the heaviest .357 Mag bullets you can find. You're probably going to want penetration and ability to break bones.

[Linked Image]

I'd have no problem carrying one of those.. Mouthy little bastard, though.
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I think that the .357 Mag is our most versatile handgun cartridge. It's capable of killing deer, and with shot capsules, birds. So it's an excellent survival gun. While I do have great respect for the .357 Mag, I think it is one our most overrated handgun cartridges.

We fish the Eastern Sierra. It has more black bears than trout. According to National Geographic, a male black bear in heat is the most dangerous animal in North America. We've seen many in the Eastern Sierra. We saw one last year in the June Lake Marina parking lot that had to go a solid 400 lbs. I had my then 11 year-old daughter with me. I try not to think about her walking across the parking lot to the restroom with that beast on the prowl.

I used to own a 6" Model 629. It was a huge gun, too big for trail carry. I was never able to master it. I could be accurate with the first shot. Recoil made accurate follow-up shots not too likely. I sold it with no seller's remorse.

Because of the bear we saw last year, I bought a 4" blued GP-100. I plan to load a hundred max velocity 180 grain Partitions for use as black bear defense. 180 grain Partitions have excellent sectional density which should translate in to ability to penetrate. I figure that six .357 Mag 180 grain Partitions ought to change a bear's dining plans. Better, I can shoot six 180 grain .357 Max a lot faster and more accurately than six .44 Mag rounds.

So far, we've been lucky. But we also have a planned response to a potential bear encounter. My kids know to drop everything they have and slowly walk behind me. We will give a bear everything we have...except our lives. Our goal is to leave the area to a bear without my having to kill it. But should it decide that our plans won't work for it, I will kill a bear before I'd allow it to get near my kids. My worry is that our smelling of fresh trout might confuse a bear causing it to think we're on its menu.

I'm considering a .41 Rem Mag. But if recoil prevents quick follow-up shots, I ain't going that route.

For bipedal vermin, I prefer .38 Special LSWCHP 158 grain +P. BTW, I have never bought in to the legend of a defensive handgun as a man stopper. It's good gun magazine stuff but lacks real world application.

Ask me and I'd say that John Browing's magnum opus in .45 ACP ain't yet been bested for bipedal self-defense. Nine 230 grain +P .45 ACP would probably work as well as six 180 grain .357 Mag Partitions for black bear defense. A 1911A1 is easy to carry, very quick to battery, and can be reloaded far more quickly than a revolver.

So, bwinters, I think a good-quality .357 Mag ought to fill your bill. As another poster indicated, I'd be reluctant to go below a 4" barrel. Also, I'd avoid super lightweight handguns. I have a 2" Model 60. Firing it with .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP +P is not fun. Accurately shooting five of those rounds quickly would be a feat for a master shooter. Thus, I'd go with a steel gun so as to make recoil manageable. A fired bullet is worthless if it misses its target.

One more thing: if you might encounter a black bear, I'd suggest using the heaviest .357 Mag bullets you can find. You're probably going to want penetration and ability to break bones.

You're fulla chit, laguna..
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14

Thanks.

The .357 is a proven fight-stopper, for two & four legged predators - at least black bear size & smaller. Throw growers in the mix and I think I'd want more rounds on board.
686+.. If you need to hose fuggers down, I'd go glock 20.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Is it Rancho_Loco or Rancho_Oracle?

It's one thing to write that I'm full of chit, it's a whole other thing entirely to refute that which you know to be wrong.

I'll check back to see how you're doing.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14

I thought it was Rasuli back again...........

MM
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I probably have 1 dozen handguns , 22rf,9mm,.357,38 sp, 38-40, 44 mag, 45ACP.

I have 4 four .357's, a 6" SBH,a 6" 686,a 2' 66 and a 4" Security Six.

The Security Six is my favorite and it goes with me on almost all outdoor outings. A 158 gr Hornady XTP, with 13 gr of 2400 will work on most anything I am apt to encounter.

I don't think Ruger has made a comparable handgun since that model

Argreed. If I had to carry a .357 Revolver for a trail gun in Bear Country, it would Definately be my 4" Stainless Security Six loaded with the 180gr Hard Cast Buffalo Boar loads.
The Sp101's are OK, but I never could warm up to the Ruger GP-100. Too heavy and bulky for a .357 Revolver.
The Security Six was a great double action .357 Revolver. Shame they discontinued them!
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I thought it was Rasuli back again...........

MM

I liked Raisuli best, but I screwed it up when I changed my email on my account.
Posted By: viking Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
I would be worried about hogs also.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14

I would go with a 1911 45 ACP loaded with 255 grain hard cast at about 960 FPS. There are several factory loads available in this loading. I like the Underwood Ammo's bullet a lot for this purpose. In my case I use the 45 Super which is about 100 FPS faster.
Posted By: Boococky Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Thanks.

Personally, I'd opt for a .41 magnum. I got into a fight with a black bear while carrying an 8" Dan Wesson .357 and I sold the .357 after that incident. Honestly it did the job, and I placed shots very well but the bear took too long (for me) to die. When I went back into the field the next day with the .44, the difference couldn't be more pronounced; what a HUGE difference.

The Taurus Titanium Tracker in .41 mag would be an awesome woods packin gun in .41 mag.

My woods gun is a Smith 357PD scandium/titanium .41 magnum

Perfect for anything I could come across and although not in bear country, we are in hog country and bears have wandered through on very rare occasions. I would be shocked to actually ever see on in my area, but this gun will handle em too

I cannot speak from any experience but if I were in bear country, I think I would want something a little larger than a .357

A great option is the scandium/titanium smiths but they are not cheap and many are hard to find. They still make the 329PD which is a .44 MAG, but they discontinued the 357PD....I couldn't buy it fast enough when I found it
Posted By: Gibby Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Just another suggestion for the .357 guns.

686+ 4"

7 shots. Very durable. You can practice all you want. This is most important I think.

I like the Speer 170gr Gold Dot Flat point (not hollow point). Expands a "little" for the two legged pests*, but holds together for the heavier stuff like big hogs. I like hard cast, but in the 4" .357, I like the Gold Dots better.

*Performance on deer as an accurate indicator.

Thanks.
This thread has gotten relatively long so please pardon me those of you whom I paraphrase rather than quote exactly.

Whoever said they wouldn't go extremely small is spot-on, IMO. It sounds like you're wanting something decently packable though. The Security Six and Model 19/66 were both mentioned and I think 4" versions of these weapons would really be great for what you want. So many different options for loads out there. Personally, I like the stainless guns best, but Blued is what I have.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gibby Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Yep, the 19/66 is near perfect.

The OP needs to practice, practice and more practice.

For the Smith's, the odd number chambers ie: 5/7 shots have the cylinder stop between the web. I like that for extra strength. Spitting hairs here, but the "L" frames with the under lug and a little more weight up front will give faster follow up shots if needed. But the "K" frames are great.

Posted By: bwinters Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
I've been watching the posts on this thread - most have been very informative. Thank you!

Ethan is spot on - I don't want a flyweight because I'll shoot upper end loads and I've shot a few 357 flyweights to know that ain't the answer. I've carried my 4 5/8" SBH 44 mag and found it to be a bit much for slipping in a pack. I also prefer a 4" barrel to get the most out of the 357 but still keep it packable. I've also shot a few small 44's and find them a bit unruly, follow up shots will take some time.

I've also held a few GP 100's and though they should be unbreakable, they felt a bit much for a 357. I settled on the SP and Security Six series of revolvers as the ideal between performance and packability. I shoot big bores a fair bit and don't expect a warm loaded 357 in a smaller frame revolver to be anything unmanageable.

I also agree with Ethan that a SS gun is the way to go. I converted all my hunting rifles to SS and am on the way to doing so with my carry pistols. SS is more maintenance free for my needs.

Not a Smith aficionado, but are the Smith K frames similar in size to the Ruger SP/Security Six series? Having held both, they seem to be similar to me. Are the K frame or Ruger SP/Security frames capable of digesting a steady diet of warm 357's?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14

The K frame smith in 357 are ideal in size IMHO. And the 357 loaded with 158/160 grain bullets at near 1400 fps from a 4" revolver is indeed a formidable load for your intended task.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
I'm thinking a Beartooth 165 FN (looks alot like a WFN) or something similar running about 12-1300.

Bullets you'd suggest?

I think you're good with the bullet you mentioned.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14

[Linked Image]

If you don't kill the bear at least you will die Deaf
The benefit of the "L" Frame & GP-100 is sight picture retention with magnum loads. I do not like heavy guns for trail use, but life is a compromise. I'll accept heft for magnum manageability.

I used to own a 2.5" Model 66. With magnum loads, it was not very manageable. Shooting it at night, the muzzle flash could be seen by Space Shuttle astronauts. Also, out of a short barrel, there ain't a whole lot separating the .357 Mag & .38 Special +P. So I sold it & went back to a Model 60.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
b, Sounds like you're on track for selecting a very enjoyable field/pack handgun. If I may suggest, don't get too wrapped around the axle with the bear defense aspect.

If I were indeed going after big black bear, and was looking at a handgun for last ditch emergency backup, such as when bowhunting bear alone, or butchering game when I had to put the rifle down, leaving the tent late at night in my skivvies to hit the woods and relieve myself, etc., etc.; I then would probably narrow my handgun down to a double action revolver and would be most concerned about its performance on the biggest bear I'd encounter in that area. BUT, for a do-all, easy to carry, easy to shoot, all-around field gun, that is capable of handling a not so good black bear encounter, I'd not rule out the many options in a very nice single action revolver chambered 357mag. Some are incredibly sweet to shoot, without being too bulky or too light. You may handle something along the lines of a Bisley, and say OH WOW! Look for something you'd enjoy to carry and enjoy to shoot.

Food for thought,
Best smile
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/01/14
Mod 66, 4in, with properly loaded 158 gr hard cast swc should do whatever you need
I like my 4-inch Mod 19 for general carry use, as well as a 1911. If there are big nasty things in the woods I am venturing into, then I carry a 4-inch Mod 57 or Mod 58. I have a 6-inch 629 Classic, but it's bulky.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: 357 for general defense - 07/02/14
Originally Posted by bea175

This is your Huckle[/color]berry, a Smith and Wesson 686+ with a 3 inch barrel and 7 shots. I would run 158 grain JHP in it. Bears won't like that one bit and neither will anything else you shoot with it...

[Linked Image]

If you don't kill the bear at least you will die Deaf
[color:#FFFF00]

That way you can't hear yourself screaming while you're being mauled grin
Interesting that no one has suggested the S&W 620, which is the L frame, half lug, 7 shot, 4" 357. For me, it combines the best of the M66 and the M686+. Tough as a 686, but as light and balanced as the 66. Plus an extra round.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW619-620.htm

Why not have it all?
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 357 for general defense - 07/02/14
For my eye & feel, no half lug balances or points as well as a full lug..........I'll keep my 686's, thank you anyway.

MM
Posted By: HighRoad Re: 357 for general defense - 07/02/14

I recently purchased the 4.2" SP101 and really like it. Worked all weekend at the cabin, and put in morning and evening hikes. It never left my hip and seldom did I know it was there. Shot a few gator aid bottles full of water before leaving for some last-minute fun. Recoil with 158 SWC over 6.0g of Unique is easy.

Just after daylight on Saturday, I bumped a sow and a couple cubs. They skedaddled over a ridge before I could get camera on them. I did see some nice bulls (one with collar) and what will be a 3x3 buck this year.

If you did not want to go 5-shot Ruger, I'd recommend a Security Six in 4". There are several on GunBroker for $300-500.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq156/JeffMacey/IMG_1157_zps75d72ff3.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: 357 for general defense - 07/02/14
Originally Posted by HighRoad
Recoil with 158 SWC over 6.0g of Unique is easy.

That's pretty much my .38 Spl load,..except I use the 160 grain WFN over 6 grains of Unique.

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 357 for general defense - 07/02/14

I recently purchased the 4.2" SP101 and really like it. Worked all weekend at the cabin, and put in morning and evening hikes. It never left my hip and seldom did I know it was there. Shot a few gator aid bottles full of water before leaving for some last-minute fun. Recoil with 158 SWC over 6.0g of Unique is easy.

Just after daylight on Saturday, I bumped a sow and a couple cubs. They skedaddled over a ridge before I could get camera on them. I did see some nice bulls (one with collar) and what will be a 3x3 buck this year.

If you did not want to go 5-shot Ruger, I'd recommend a Security Six in 4". There are several on GunBroker for $300-500.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq156/JeffMacey/IMG_1157_zps75d72ff3.jpg[/img]

To me it's the perfect package for a woods bumming gun. I've shot from mild to wild through it and it's got just enough weight that it handles the recoil well...but at the same time isn't so heavy it's a pain to wear all day.

Like you, I replaced the grips on mine and it's a worthwhile improvement.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 357 for general defense - 07/03/14
I carry a 2.25" SP101 in the woods, but that 4.2" seems ideal.

Great pics too! Do you have a side view pic with those grips?

Jason
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/03/14
For these...

[Linked Image]

I carry this 4.2" SP101

[Linked Image]

Or this Colt 38, which I hope not to need!

[Linked Image]

I think you fellas are on to something with the 4.2" Ruger. The design is rock solid but without the weight of most K/L frames. Seems that the bore-axis is lower on the Ruger too. Just feels like I can get a higher grip on the SP101. Smiths feel more top heavy, but I still like them too.

I tried a max charge of H110 and 180gr bullets in the 2.25" SP101 and it wants to twist out of my hand grin . Factory 158gr are easy to shoot.

[Linked Image]

Haven't shot a bear with a 357, but did a Coup de grace on a cow elk with a 158gr Gold Dot to the computer. 200gr NAB dropped her straight to the ground with a high shoulder shot but she could still lift her head.

Wouldn't mind an LCR-22 when packing a rifle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 357 for general defense - 07/03/14
Originally Posted by jwp475

The K frame smith in 357 are ideal in size IMHO. And the 357 loaded with 158/160 grain bullets at near 1400 fps from a 4" revolver is indeed a formidable load for your intended task.
True enough, but I still think your .45 Super and your hard cast flat point load is the best all around solution I've seen yet. Easy to carry, easy to shoot, effective.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 357 for general defense - 07/03/14
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jwp475

True enough, but I still think your .45 Super and your hard cast flat point load is the best all around solution I've seen yet. Easy to carry, easy to shoot, effective.

I agree and I posted that it is my preference and IMHO superior to the 357 for multiple reasons.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: 357 for general defense - 07/03/14

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love your back yard and your pet elk.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: 357 for general defense - 07/03/14
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Haven't shot a bear with a 357, but did a Coup de grace on a cow elk with a 158gr Gold Dot to the computer. 200gr NAB dropped her straight to the ground with a high shoulder shot but she could still lift her head.

Wouldn't mind an LCR-22 when packing a rifle.

[Linked Image]

That would be illegal in CO. Not saying a lot of guys don't do it though..357 is illegal for big game in CO and barrel length is 4" minimum on all handguns used on big game.
They set the law up so it is just below the threshold.

Maybe that very reason is why someone who spends more time in CO big game hunting would opt for 41 mag or? instead of a .357.

I carry a .357 though. Mostly when in the saddle. If horse or mule breaks leg or?. It's pretty hard to kill them with a knife or rock. I had to do it once with another guys horse that fell off a mountain.

If I am big game hunting with a rifle, I don't carry a handgun at all. IT would be just another 3-4 pounds that I don't need.

One extra round for the rifle is a lot lighter.

Posted By: HighRoad Re: 357 for general defense - 07/04/14
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I carry a 2.25" SP101 in the woods, but that 4.2" seems ideal.

Great pics too! Do you have a side view pic with those grips?

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SansSouci Re: 357 for general defense - 07/04/14
HighRoad,

That is one good looking gun. Is it manageable with heavy, magnum rounds, say 158-to-180 grains?

I love lightweight guns for trout fishing in black bear habitat. I'm thinking of picking up an SP-101. But I'd like to shot one before I buy.
Yeah, watch out for those donut stuffed bears. They're in heat and super dangerous.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 357 for general defense - 07/04/14
If you want an SP 101, look at the older Security Six in 357. I just bought a very nice stainless Security Six with Pachmyers for a shade less than $400 shipped. The SP 101's weigh 29-30 oz and the Security Six weighs 33 oz - both with 4" barrels. I'll save a couple hundred bucks and give up 4 oz.........
Posted By: bwinters Re: 357 for general defense - 07/04/14
Highroad - dig those grips - who made those?
Posted By: CraigC Re: 357 for general defense - 07/04/14
The .357 is overrated. A moderately loaded big bore will do a better job and not make your ears bleed.
If you want an SP 101, look at the older Security Six in 357. I just bought a very nice stainless Security Six with Pachmyers for a shade less than $400 shipped. The SP 101's weigh 29-30 oz and the Security Six weighs 33 oz - both with 4" barrels. I'll save a couple hundred bucks and give up 4 oz.........

I'd say you picked well. I like them too. Should last you the rest of your life. I've got a 4" and a 2-3/4" tough to beat. grin
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 357 for general defense - 07/04/14
Thanks for the pics HR. Nice Ruger!

Jason
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 357 for general defense - 07/04/14
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That would be illegal in CO. Not saying a lot of guys don't do it though..357 is illegal for big game in CO and barrel length is 4" minimum on all handguns used on big game.
They set the law up so it is just below the threshold.

Maybe that very reason is why someone who spends more time in CO big game hunting would opt for 41 mag or? instead of a .357.

I carry a .357 though. Mostly when in the saddle. If horse or mule breaks leg or?. It's pretty hard to kill them with a knife or rock. I had to do it once with another guys horse that fell off a mountain.

If I am big game hunting with a rifle, I don't carry a handgun at all. IT would be just another 3-4 pounds that I don't need.

One extra round for the rifle is a lot lighter.

In Oregon the min is 0.24 cal.

I can't remember the last time I went in the woods, mountains, or canyons without a sidearm, even with a rifle grin

I'd say it was worth 4 ounces to gain that extra hole in the cylinder. wink
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd use 180 [grain] HC [Hard Cast] ... Buffalo Bore ammo or Fed Premium 180 [grain] Cast Cores.
This.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 357 for general defense - 07/05/14

Missed that - another bonus!
Posted By: HighRoad Re: 357 for general defense - 07/07/14
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love your back yard and your pet elk.

Our cabin borders national forest. Sometimes we'll find them in our meadow (front yard) which is always fun. Always leads to the "shootin'em from the porch" comments. These were about a mile from the cabin. Our challenge here in WA State is drawing a tag for these guy's. In this unit, there's usually 1500 applicants trying for only two (2) branched bull tags. I was not drawn this year so I'll be hunting only "True Spikes" again . . . with a few other folks. Spikes become cherished trophies when that's all you can legally take.
Highroad - dig those grips - who made those?

Hogue, they are Pau Ferro wood -- looks like dark walnut.

I just came into a 4" Ruger Security Six, mfg. date 1973, serial 150-XXXXX. I purchased from original owner who put exactly 39-rounds through it. He included the box of Federal's he bought with the gun. 11 rounds left -- price tag on red and black box is $7.05! The revolver is rust free. However, it has a lot of holster wear. The holster was a sloppy fit and the rig has bounced around in his truck (s) for 40 years.

I see on Ruger's website that they will polish and reblue a revolver for $130 plus $30 return shipping. Does anyone have experience with this service by Ruger? Good deal?

I've got a T-Grip on the way!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Notropis Re: 357 for general defense - 07/07/14
I also run into some sketchy people back in the hills and think I've come close to a few weed patches.

A quick tale about sketchy people in the mountains might be in order. I realize the events occurred about 40 years ago, but things have probably only gotten worse.

I grew up in Knoxville and went to UT. One of my classmates in a Botany course was a National Park Service employee for the purpose of collecting data on wild hogs for a Master's thesis. Being an employee allowed him to carry a gun and shoot hogs. He had a uniform but was told by his superior never ever to wear it out in the field collecting data. He found out one day why.

He was sitting eating a snack up on the A.T. when a man just appeared out of the brush. The man had no pack or any other gear. He was just there. He sat down and talked to my friend for a while and asked about his hunting success. My friend never said the he was a NPS employee. After a few minutes, several more men appeared out of the brush carrying their guns, packs, and other gear. The were poachers who were waiting out of sight until they were convinced my friend was also a poacher.

The NPS supervisor later told my friend that he would probably have never made it out of the woods alive if he had told the man what he really was doing. The supervisor also said that there were probably 400-500 people poaching in the park every day and that a lot of those people would just as soon shoot you as look at you. Fortunately, most poachers stay away from the popular areas and trails.

Between moonshiners, pot growers, and poachers (not to mention crazed tree huggers), the remote areas can present some rather significant dangers.

Posted By: bwinters Re: 357 for general defense - 07/07/14
Yep.

I hunt alot in the mountains north of Knoxville and get off on some remote logging roads. I came out on the road one day a few years ago right at dark and found a guy looking into my truck. I was about 100 yards from him and coughed. He saw me and moved up the road without acknowledging my presence. It was in hunting season and I was carrying a rifle which I think helped him decide to move on.

I also ran into a guy last summer 2-3 miles back in that acted nervous and plain weird. He asked me all sorts of questions related to law enforcement. I left quickly and decided to do some mountain jogging for a mile or so after we parted. Pretty sure he had a pot patch nearby.

I also ran into a Plott hound that wasn't too friendly last summer. He had a tracking collar and was obviously lost from someone running bears. He'd obviously been there a while.

All told, I feel safer with a pistol.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 357 for general defense - 07/07/14
my experience with poachers, both down here and in Virginia, leads me to believe that they don't really kill people, but they are damn wary, and probably more woods savy than most. I believe they can, and will, avoid others in the woods, rather than just shoot them.
Killing folks brings cops like flys to honey, and the last thing a poacher wants to do, is bring attention to his activities.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 357 for general defense - 07/07/14
I carry/have carried the 357 a BUNCH, albeit in a Marlin with a 16 1/4 barrel. If one CAN carry a rifle then it would always be my choice over a handgun.
© 24hourcampfire