Home
I have not owned a 1911 in a while until my wife bought me a Ruger 1911 for my birthday. I have been shooting it and decided that I need another 1911 of some kind. In the past I have had really good luck with the Springfield loaded pistols. So I thought about buying a Springfield Operator. Then I had to look at the Sig 1911's.

The gun will be both shot and carried. Which one does everyone like better the Sigs or the Springfields? Models? Rail or no rail? Any models to stay away from?

Thanks
Dink
I own 5 Sig 1911's. Two are 5", three are 4.25". They all shoot 100% reliable. I hunt with one of the 5" models and carry one of the 4.25's, which is the C3. Any subsequent 1911's will all be Sig's.
if you like boxy slides and external extractors get the sig. if you're gonna carry it much, get the springer lightweight loaded. if you want a rail, flip a coin?.....
Posted By: Fotis Re: Sig 1911 vs Springfield 1911 - 12/26/14
Originally Posted by huntsman22
if you like boxy slides and external extractors get the sig. if you're gonna carry it much, get the springer lightweight loaded. if you want a rail, flip a coin?.....

What is your choice of CCW Hunts? TIA.
My choice is the Springfield EMP 40

[Linked Image]

or the S&W PC commander...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm responding more in the spirit of a 'popularity contest' than offering any knowledgeable technical insights ...

I have only a Colt 1911 and a Springfield 1911, but I do want a certain
Sig-Sauer, Spartan, 1911 - if it's still available when I have some money.

But to answer your question (IMO) - I think the Springfield is somewhat better than the Sig,
I like the Springfield better and it has better customer service & warranty than does Sig (Life Time.)

Also, 'I have heard' that the Sig does not accept some standard 1911 parts, have as good a trigger, or even balance - ???

Posted By: rifle Re: Sig 1911 vs Springfield 1911 - 12/26/14
Both are good 1911's...I question the rail.It doesn't fit on the classic in my mind.Maybe I'm too retro...
Originally Posted by DINK
I have not owned a 1911 in a while until my wife bought me a Ruger 1911 for my birthday. I have been shooting it and decided that I need another 1911 of some kind. In the past I have had really good luck with the Springfield loaded pistols. So I thought about buying a Springfield Operator. Then I had to look at the Sig 1911's.

The gun will be both shot and carried. Which one does everyone like better the Sigs or the Springfields? Models? Rail or no rail? Any models to stay away from?

Thanks
Dink
The external extractor on the Sig is a deal-breaker for some as far as even considering it a 1911. I've never owned a Sig of this type, but have thought about it and have never heard anything bad about them.

I've owned several Springfields over the years including this Loaded model that is currently with me. I have no complaints about it.

[Linked Image]

It doesn't have a rail, but I like them and think they're worthwhile. Besides adding weight though, they do make finding holsters more problematic. I've got a Galco holster for a railgun and it has always been too tight.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-loaded-45-acp/
Springfield. Enough said.
Posted By: Mink Re: Sig 1911 vs Springfield 1911 - 12/26/14
I do not currently own either, but if I were in the market for a sub-$1000 1911 at this point I would be jonesing for the new Springfield RO Commander that should be out now or very soon.
You didn't say plain Jane or bells and whistles.

If a regular, I would go to the CDNN website, pick the Colt that trips my trigger and rock on.

Posted By: Fotis Re: Sig 1911 vs Springfield 1911 - 12/26/14
Nice pieces Hunts
Posted By: Teal Re: Sig 1911 vs Springfield 1911 - 12/26/14
Of the two - Springer would probably be my choice.

That said - I was told by a high end 1911 smith that he rates the Ruger above Springer for a build right now. He was super impressed with one he built on for how it came to him.
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
You didn't say plain Jane or bells and whistles.

If a regular, I would go to the CDNN website, pick the Colt that trips my trigger and rock on.

I'd rather have a Springfield than a Sig and I'd rather have a Colt than a Springfield. I've got a Springfield and a Colt. Of the three the Colt is my top pick.

[Linked Image]
If you have the Ruger you're covered for .45. Why not make things interesting and get a .38 Super or a 10mm??
It's been a long time since I've been able to say it, but I'd take the Colt over everything but a Dan Wesson (in that price range). If you've ruled out the Colt, then my next choice would be Springfield.

Springfield for sure.
Thanks everyone.

I sure would have thought that the Sig would have a bigger following.

Dink
I like my C3. More than I thought I would. External extractor and boxy slide included. Shoots like a mofo..

TIFWIW..

[Linked Image]
My bud Smokepole has one of those. Nice guns. Only drawback is those thick slides don't fit a standard holster for chit. No big deal to soak one down, jam the gun in and work it around and let it dry. Or just get one that fits......
For some reason a lot of folks freak out at the thought of an external extractor.

JMB's original design was external. He changed to internal at the US Army request.

My Sigs are flawless performers. They just don't do traditional appearance.

My Ultra Carry feeds anything I've tried. It has a smooth, tight action, good trigger and a tough finish.

Posted By: MOGC Re: Sig 1911 vs Springfield 1911 - 12/27/14
Beyond tradition, I think it depends upon who and how the external extractor is produced. Kimber tried it on a 1911 and they failed. Other 1911's seem to do ok with it.
It seems from reading on the internet (so it has to be true) that Sig is making a good gun but thier customer service is lacking.

Rancho I really like that C3. Is that the same style that is available in fast back also?

Dink
I've had a Sig 1911 for several years. As Huntsman said, the slide is somewhat boxy compared to my Colt. It's a good pistol, though, has worked flawlessly for the ten years or so I've had it. Not sure about their customer service, never having needed any.
What about a Remington 1911?
Good golly, stop worrying about the external extractor. I have a 5" XO and a. Fastback. Both flawless function with a wide variety of ball, hp and swc ammo.

Non standard internals? OMG. I put Wilson bullet proof gi guide rod and standard weight wolf springs and guess what, they fit and work just like a colt. And to boot, they work perfect with cheap gi 7 round mags.

The purists will tell you there is only one real 1911 anyway. So any thing else is just a copy. If you buy a 1911 style pistol and it has a beaver tail grip safety, Novak sights front serations, checkering and an ambi safety it's not a 1911 any way. Might as well get one with a huge reliable external safet and just get with modern times.

And certainly don't buy one with an alloy frame. It will fall apart too.
Sorry, Papi don't carry no external extractors on no 1911's..
Posted By: JOG Re: Sig 1911 vs Springfield 1911 - 12/30/14
Lot's a folk don't mind acquiring iron for the sake of it, but for me there's not enough gap between a Ruger 1911 and the Springfield Loaded/Sig. I'd have to move up to a TRP at least.

It should be pointed out that Sig offers a round top slide in their "Traditional" line of 1911's.

Kimber seems to have forever tainted the external extractor on a 1911. S&W and Sig versions work just fine on 1911's, as do externals on almost every other semi-auto offered.
I don't know about the Sigs, but S&W has certainly mastered the external extractor.
Since you're talking about carrying the next 1911, I'd suggest a close look at some of the bobtail commander-sized models out there and not limit yourself to two manufacturers.

One of my favorites is the Dan Wesson Guardian.

A Sig is not going to be the wrong choice.
I've got a Sig Nightmare Carry, the external extractor does't bother me in the least. Trigger has a little bit of side to side slop in it but he reset is nice, gun is otherwise very tight and shoots extremely well right on par with my Colt and a little worse than Les Baer, never owned a Springfield. The bobtail fit and finish on the gun are very nice too.
Since you already have a traditional 1911, I would opt for a lightweight commander, with modern updates. Colt would be my top choice.

Here is an older 1950s commander for kicks

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
if you like boxy slides and external extractors get the sig.

If you don't like boxy slides have a look at Sig's "traditional" 1911's
If I buy another 1911, it will be the Sig 1911 compact nickle.. That's a damn fine looking and feeling pistol.
If I buy another commander or officer model, that Dan Wesson Guardian is looking pretty nice!
Mackay,

I can't buy a commander. I have two boys and if they both don't have close to the same thing the world will end....lol

Sig make more 1911's than you can shake a stick at. I looked at a scorpion the other day and was highly impressed. A lot of pistol for $1k. I have not found a operator yet.

Dink
Dink i have a Scorpion and love it. The best feeling 1911 i've ever handed
Gitem,

Does it run? Ever use Wilson mags in it?

Dink
© 24hourcampfire