Home
Rock Island is really on fire, expanding rapidly.

A friend who is at SHOT said he saw their 2/3 scale .380 said it was really cool. And he said they're going to put out a Titanium frame 1911.

Interesting at the least.
They will be to soft to be any good. Body heat from concealed carry will cause them to melt an run down your leg.
ETA - And apparently a Glock 22TCM conversion:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/20/rock-island-arms-22tcm-glock-conversion/
At 1:58 the Titanium 1911

Just for conversation, titanium framed guns are between the weight of steel & an aluminum alloy frame in weight.

I own a titanium framed 1911 (Commander size) & I bought it because of what the gun is in total, not because it had a titanium frame.

The ti frame on the gun I own is about 2.5 oz heavier than the same size in Al alloy & it's about 5 oz lighter than a steel frame.

MM
I believe the titanium should out last at least three alloy frames.
Are RIA 1911s made here or imported crap?
Could be, but most Al alloy /Scandium frames outlast their owners, so it's almost a moot point............just sayin'.

MM
Originally Posted by tmitch

Imported.

MM
I am SO going to want the Ti frame 1911 when it comes out. I totally dig my Ti framed 329PD.

If they make this in 10mm and or 22TCM I am going to be putting some nice rifles, and or my all steel RIA TAC10 (which I REALLY like!) up for sale soon......

I am glad that some good gun makers are coming out with more really cool stuff!

When I started carrying daily in 1991, state of the art for me was a nickel plated 3 inch J frame 38, followed by a Charter Arms Bulldog in blued steel that I had nickel plated before the SS versions came out which I carried for quite a few years.

The good old days or golden years for concealed carry, are NOW!

Besides the great gun choices, I can legally carry in 45 or more states now. Add this with the re intorduction of the Model 70 Classic, lots of good Mauser and CRF WW pattern rifles... some fun calibers like 10mm, 22TCM, 9x23 and more.... It is good to be a patriot and a gun guy right now.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by tmitch

Imported.

MM

RIA has two factories here in the good old USA now. And wherever they are made, my RIA Tac 10 is one of the finest pistols I have ever owned. Better than my old Colt Delta Elite by a bunch.
Parts are manufactured & designed by Armscor in the Phillipines.

MM

MM

I thought that some were being made here. Oh well, Phillipines are an ally, and the guns are good ones.
Originally Posted by safariman
It is good to be a patriot and a gun guy right now.

Mr. Patriot, how were the pro-gun/anti I-594 rallies you recently attended in your own home state?
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Mr. Patriot, how were the pro-gun/anti I-594 rallies you recently attended in your own home state?

Just like I am too sick to drive 5 miles from my home to duck hunt, or go to a gun show, I am far too weak right now to go to such a rally. Kidney function is down to only 21%. My resting heart rate is most often well above 100BPM because it is so hard for my heart to get blood through my blocked kidneys. My internet chatting right now is my only time out of bed all day today. My arms and legs are covered in unsightly sores from my lack of kidney function and I am chronically fatigued, out of breath and exhausted.

Thanks for asking, though. Nice to know that you care.

MM

Thanks. I'll pass on these.

Just like I am too sick to drive 5 miles from my home to duck hunt, or go to a gun show, I am far too weak right now to go to such a rally. Kidney function is down to only 21%. My resting heart rate is most often well above 100BPM because it is so hard for my heart to get blood through my blocked kidneys. My internet chatting right now is my only time out of bed all day today. My arms and legs are covered in unsightly sores from my lack of kidney function and I am chronically fatigued, out of breath and exhausted.

Yet you currently have a want to buy/trade add in the classifieds looking for 22 mag ammo for ground squirrel hunts. Interesting...
I've heard and read much about how nice the RIA 1911s are. But I have handled a couple dozen that people have either brought into the shop for work or were trying to sell and I haven't seen anything very nice. Frames and slides are rough with casting marks, machine marks on machined surfaces, and strange shaped and I'll fitting controls or parts like safeties and firing pin stops.

I find the Taurus PT1911 to be more of the same.

While they both may be reliable I don't consider them anywhere near the same class of gun as modern Springfield Armory, Colt, Dan Wesson, or S&W 1911s.

Yet you currently have a want to buy/trade add in the classifieds looking for 22 mag ammo for ground squirrel hunts. Interesting...

Yep, I am scheduled for a Kidney Transplant in March. I posted about this a week or so ago. I will be in Seattle for a full month recovering. Maybe you missed this:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9500629/1

Planning and hoping to feel like varmint shooting again this spring. At least hoping to. I am told that I will feel tons better.
What is far MORE fascinating, is your need to stalk my threads, and an over zealous interest in what I am doing. You need to get your OWN life, maybe. Just sayin.....
Originally Posted by TheKid
While they both may be reliable I don't consider them anywhere near the same class of gun as modern Springfield Armory, Colt, Dan Wesson, or S&W 1911s.

They're not - they cost less.

As for titanium, it will be interesting to see how RIA handles the galling problems that have plagued Ti frames.
Could be, but most Al alloy /Scandium frames outlast their owners, so it's almost a moot point............just sayin'.

MM

I believe our own Waders shot his alloy frame Kimber until it cracked and Kimber said it was only designed for light use.
Originally Posted by Scott F

MM

I believe our own Waders shot his alloy frame Kimber until it cracked and Kimber said it was only designed for light use.

MontanaMan implied a properly-fit alloy/scandium frame. wink

Yet, you were in Florida immediately after the rallies you couldn't attend.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/9461912

Odd. I don't recall any of my maps showing any areas of Florida within 5 miles of Walla Walla, WA, nor any airports in the WWW area capable of getting you to Florida. Spokane, yes; Boise, yes; Portland, yes; Seattle, yes, but none of them are within 5 miles of Walla Walla, either, and remarkably one of them would have been almost on top of where that rally you were too sick to attend was being held.

They are imported, but well made, sturdy guns. They are not in the "finish" league of Kimbers, but I also hear a lot less problems with them than I do Kimbers also.
For a shooter grade gun, they will outlast all of us.
I always wanted to see a titanium slide, and an alloy frame, to get the most weight reduction, but apparently titanium is just a problem to use in the slide. I don't know if it's difficulty machining, or some of the properties cause problems.

Titanium forms intensely strong bonds with chemicals that touch it - which is why it's so corrosion resistant. It forms a very strong bond with oxygen in the air, and resists further attack by other chemicals. The downside is, if it contacts other metals, it will try to bond to them. You wouldn't think a fairly soft piece of titanium can eat up a piece of carbide, but it will crazy
Originally Posted by hikerbum
They are imported, but well made, sturdy guns. They are not in the "finish" league of Kimbers, but I also hear a lot less problems with them than I do Kimbers also.
For a shooter grade gun, they will outlast all of us.

This. Very good pistols that run well and shoot accurately. Their customer service is excellent as well. My experience is that they are tough pistols. And then there's the pricing....
Who in the fugg keeps buying all these 1911's?

Travis
OFWGs
4Ager,

Yes, one can fly directly from WW to Ft LAuderdale. My son flew us out to be with him and his kids, my grandkids, over Christmas. Big deal. The airport is only 1 mile from our house and sleeping on an airplane is something I can do. Sleeping at my sons house is also something I can do. Had not seen my grandkids in two years, and my surgery (Bi lateral Kidney transplant) is not something that 100% of people survive.

A couple of you REALLY need to quit acting like stalkers, mind your OWN business, and quit hijacking threads. You are an embarrasement to yourselves. And these rabbit trails add nothing to the content of the threads you try to screw up. Try staying on topic for a change. It would do us ALL some good. I can document my illness much better than I have, if I need to but would rather not. I come here to get away from all of that and talk about guns and better times.
BACK on topic, if the titanium frame guns come out in some fast, fun calibers, I am going to have to figure out a way to get one!
Originally Posted by deflave
Who in the fugg keeps buying all these 1911's?

Travis

People who appreciate a nice gun.
I come here to get away from all of that and talk about guns and better times.

Then go through one thread without mentioning it. Just one. You couldn't even do that with the post about how somebody else was sick.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Then go through one thread without mentioning it. Just one. You couldn't even do that with the post about how somebody else was sick.

Ouch.

Originally Posted by JOG

What!!! Are you saying Kimber is not the god of all firearm manufacturing? eek

grin

My RIA is carried every day and has been shot a lot. It still has yet to malfunction in any way.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by JOG

What!!! Are you saying Kimber is not the god of all firearm manufacturing? eek

grin

My RIA is carried every day and has been shot a lot. It still has yet to malfunction in any way.

Except melting, of course.

Yours is also steel frame and slide. Ti has a nasty habit of galling, and slide rails to frame cuts are not immune from crud, from being slightly out of line, being battered, etc. Having a Ti frame NOT wear itself or the slide rails is going to be one helluva trick of engineering, machining, and metallurgy.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Well then why don't they buy one?

Travis
Originally Posted by 4ager

Ouch.

Did not bring it up here, and would not have, until I was challenged by a stalker about why I was not at a rally. I truly would rather have not had to go down that road.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Well then why don't they buy one?

Travis

I am pretty sure he has had a couple of 1911's....

He merely did so to reply to one of your fellow trolls.
Originally Posted by Glocktard

TAK, you've been around long enough to know safariman's MO - when caught, cry sick/poor/Christian; wait until the heats off, then buy more stuff to brag about; sell crap with not-entirely-honest presentations; when caught repeat at step one.

I assume you didn't forget any of that on your myriad reincarnations.
I am SO going to want the Ti frame 1911 when it comes out. I totally dig my Ti framed 329PD.

the 329 PD is not 'Ti framed'
Originally Posted by toad

Correct. It's Scandium. But, don't let facts get in the way of a good lusting.
I am pretty sure he has had a couple of 1911's....

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travis

Welcome back TAK. I was starting to miss you.

Travis
Originally Posted by toad

Correct. It's Scandium. But, don't let facts get in the way of a good lusting.

You are correct. I got the metals mixed up. Thanks for the correction. Regardless, I like my lightweight handguns!

Welcome back TAK. I was starting to miss you.

Travis

He was that fake green-beanie that slithered away, right? I heard he was a real azzwipe.

He was that fake green-beanie that slithered away, right? I heard he was a real azzwipe.

Correct.

And correct.

Travis

Correct.

And correct.

Travis

So that means that Jorge guy is a liar as well, right?
Hahahahaha!

I tricked you!

I KNEW you were TAK!

You stupid fugg!

Travis
Off topic but being a former Marine you might get a laugh out of this video Travis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dm0BxFZfmI
Having a Ti frame NOT wear itself or the slide rails is going to be one helluva trick of engineering, machining, and metallurgy.

The simplest, which isn't all that simple, is carbidizing the rails as developed by Virgil Tripp. The process electrically deposits carbon on the rails to prevent galling. Caspian still offers titanium frames and that's what they recommend. By the way, a Caspian LW alloy frame is about $250, titanium about $450.

The high-end guys replace the rails or use runners. Christianson Arms uses tungsten carbide runners.

How RIA is going to handle it, or not, will be interesting. Titanium isn't anything new and manufacturers have stayed away from it for good reason.

This is my favorite patriotic video:

Except melting, of course.

Yours is also steel frame and slide. Ti has a nasty habit of galling, and slide rails to frame cuts are not immune from crud, from being slightly out of line, being battered, etc. Having a Ti frame NOT wear itself or the slide rails is going to be one helluva trick of engineering, machining, and metallurgy.

laugh laugh laugh

It is in the freezer right now so it will hold together when we go to Portland for dinner with friends tonight.

Next time we chat I will tell you a little story about titanium. I have played around with it a lot.

Hahahahaha!

I tricked you!

I KNEW you were TAK!

You stupid fugg!

Travis

I've been called stupid before (I'm married). I wonder where that Take-a-knee guy took his knee to? Any ideas?

I've been called stupid before (I'm married). I wonder where that Take-a-knee guy took his knee to? Any ideas?

I don't know. But I'm telling Rick you're back and you're gonna be in big fuggin' trouble!

Travis

I don't know. But I'm telling Rick you're back and you're gonna be in big fuggin' trouble!

Travis

As if Rick gives a flyin' f'k about anything like that. If it drives post counts and page hits, it puts coin in his pocket. That's the only thing that matters to Rick.
It was a joke.

Stop being so serious.

Travis
F'kin' place has more sock puppets than a leftover bin at GoodWill.
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Off topic but being a former Marine you might get a laugh out of this video Travis.

Mat Best is a national treasure.
I picked up a few Titanium frames and built several for carry when they were first available and some guys were excited.

After fitting the slide to the frame and lapping, I used Gunkote on both matched rails.

No wear or galling and the coating was still there as of last time I saw any them, but the frames and slides were a proper, ie., not a factory, fit, and I tell guys to run 'em wet, even though Gunkote has some lubricity.

I even gave those boys a free bottle of my "magic" sticky 1911 Stainless frame lube from the vat in my basement.

Hard Chrome would likely be better, but has dimensional issues on a real nice frame to slide fit, and as it was I figured saving those 5 ozs cost about $100 an oz.

That was great, but it is really much ado about nothing because MARSOC is considered the 8th "SF" Group by SOCOM. The fact remains, they are walking trails already blazed, and they had someone show them the path.
Personally my favorite video was the Firefighter Vs. Police one.
As far as Marsoc versus SF I don't care about that. To me it's .45 ACP versus 9mm type of argument.

That was great, but it is really much ado about nothing because MARSOC is considered the 8th "SF" Group by SOCOM. The fact remains, they are walking trails already blazed, and they had someone show them the path.

Really? You're trying that one as a means of insulting the Marines? Not only is it old, but it's tired, put out to pasture, dead, and buried.
Originally Posted by JOG
Having a Ti frame NOT wear itself or the slide rails is going to be one helluva trick of engineering, machining, and metallurgy.

The simplest, which isn't all that simple, is carbidizing the rails as developed by Virgil Tripp. The process electrically deposits carbon on the rails to prevent galling. Caspian still offers titanium frames and that's what they recommend. By the way, a Caspian LW alloy frame is about $250, titanium about $450.

The high-end guys replace the rails or use runners. Christianson Arms uses tungsten carbide runners.

How RIA is going to handle it, or not, will be interesting. Titanium isn't anything new and manufacturers have stayed away from it for good reason.

My Ti framed gun was built by Christensen (this is the correct spelling) & it does have WC coated rails on the frame as JOG has said.

When I received the gun, I wasn't as happy with the surface finish of the frame rails as I would have liked to have been, so I fixed that by polishing them to a level that made me smile.

So far with about 1,500 round through the gun it's absolutely perfect with no evidence of any issue on either the slide which is cerrokoted, or the frame rails.

But as with all my 1911's I run them pretty wet as all 1911's should be run, IMO.

i wasn't going to jump on RIA's but for the most part, you get what you pay for, if that satisfies you fine, but don't try to convince me the RIA is the equal of Colt, SA, S&W, etc. etc.

As for Safariman, the guy's s phugging narcissist, almost on a par with The Muslim & I won't even respond to his BS posts. He needs to sincerely GF himself.

MM

Christensen 1911
[Linked Image]

Damn, that's a sweet looking pistol.

VERY nice.

Originally Posted by JOG

My Ti framed gun was built by Christensen (this is the correct spelling) & it does have WC coated rails on the frame as JOG has said.

When I received the gun, I wasn't as happy with the surface finish of the frame rails as I would have liked to have been, so I fixed that by polishing them to a level that made me smile.

So far with about 1,500 round through the gun it's absolutely perfect with no evidence of any issue on either the slide which is cerrokoted, or the frame rails.

But as with all my 1911's I run them pretty wet as all 1911's should be run, IMO.

i wasn't going to jump on RIA's but for the most part, you get what you pay for, if that satisfies you fine, but don't try to convince me the RIA is the equal of Colt, SA, S&W, etc. etc.

As for Safariman, the guy's s phugging narcissist, almost on a par with The Muslim & I won't even respond to his BS posts. He needs to sincerely GF himself.

MM

Christensen 1911
[Linked Image]

Really? You're trying that one as a means of insulting the Marines? Not only is it old, but it's tired, put out to pasture, dead, and buried.

That MARSOC is/are the new kids on the block in SOCOM, is a point-of-fact, not open to debate. By all accounts they are doing a superb job at a lot of new (to the USMC) missions. I've heard Army guys say most are out-performing ODA's down range. No slight was stated or intended.
My Ti framed gun was built by Christensen (this is the correct spelling)...

I hate when folks misspell names, doubly so when I do it. My apologies to Christensen Arms.

Great pistol - what's the barrel set-up?

That MARSOC is/are the new kids on the block in SOCOM, is a point-of-fact, not open to debate. By all accounts they are doing a superb job at a lot of new (to the USMC) missions. I've heard Army guys say most are out-performing ODA's down range. No slight was stated or intended.

Then why bring it up?

Also, it depends upon when the SOCOM clock started ticking. Roger's Rangers would historically be the first, if we really wanted to get down to brass tacks. After that, who counts and when? Where do the Marine Raiders fall in? There's no doubt they were SF, before SF existed.

All that "1st, next, last" BS is exactly that. Those that went first are long gone, and all others regardless of branch or division follow in their tracks.
Originally Posted by JOG

Great pistol - what's the barrel set-up?

Standard 1911........non-ramped barrel, with a very well fitted barrel bushing, both to the slide & the barrel, better than Wilson.

So far, functioning has been flawless & I have not touched it at all except as noted to polish the frame rails. Trigger is absolutely PURRRRRRRFECT, crisp, no creep & breaks at 3.25 lb consistently.

They provide 3 of their own (name stamped stainless) mags that are very, very nice & seem to perform just fine & the performance has been equally good with stainless Tripp's, too.

Best feel in the hand of any 1911 I've ever had.........partly due to the grips & the bobtail, but it's not quite as slick as a Wilson which feels like it's on ball bearings.

I was mildly disappointed in the finish on the frame rails as I am fairly expert (mild understatement) in various thermal spray materials applications, but it was easily remedied in about 10 minutes.

Except for the slight overprice, I'd very highly recommend it.

For real value, my Dan Wesson Guardian, & even the S&W bobtail are really better value for the $$$$$.

MM
4ager, when you talk about units and are ignorant of the applicable OB, you make that apparent to all. Be advised:

U.S. Department of Defense UW mission

UW was the first mission assigned to United States Army Special Forces when they were formed in 1952; they now have additional missions, including foreign internal defense (FID).[2] In the United States, "special forces" refers specifically to the United States Army Special Forces (SF), as opposed to the usage in most other countries, where "special forces" refers to the range of unit types that the U.S. calls "special operations forces" controlled by the United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). SF units are tasked with seven primary missions: :*unconventional warfare (United States Department of Defense doctrine) (UW)

foreign internal defense (FID)
special reconnaissance (SR)
direct action (DA)
counter-terrorism (CT)
counter-proliferation (CP)
psychological operations (United States) (PsyOps)
information operations (IO).

SF may be given other missions including warfare and support, combat search and rescue (CSAR), security assistance, peacekeeping, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian demining and counter-drug operations; other USSOCOM units or other U.S. government activities may be the specialists in these secondary areas[3]

The UW mission assumes that U.S. forces will work with troops in another country and possibly with other allies; UW is always multinational. Depending on the particular situation, their role may be from pure training all the way to leading a joint force in combat. Over more than fifty years, roles and missions have continued to evolve, based on the history of operations.

This is my last post on this thread. I only commented on a video some one else posted.
Dang MM, that is a very nice looking 1911.

How does it balance in the hand, both holding and shooting it?
Originally Posted by bcolorado

How does it balance in the hand, both holding and shooting it?

Absolutely perfectly.......best ever in a 1911 & I have & have had a few, so no need to guess.

For the previous 3 years or so, my primary carry piece has been a S&W Scandium bobtail 1911 & it's an outstanding gun, but the Christensen just feels better in the hand.......mainly because of slightly slimmer & better feeling grips.

MM
What is far MORE fascinating, is your need to stalk my threads, and an over zealous interest in what I am doing. You need to get your OWN life, maybe. Just sayin.....

Because when a [bleep] POS huckster like yourself claims to be a patriot, but you can't bother to make it to pro-gun/anti HB I-594 rallies in your own home state because you "didn't have the cash to attend", yet you're running WTB adds in the classifieds, you deserve to be called out. Same old song and dance; crying poverty in one breath when it's convenient and then building/buying something in the next.

And you're about as much of a patriot as the [bleep] idiot in the White House is and your knack for dishing out bullshitt is about the same too. Don't worry though, Squats to Pee has your back!
Sherri and I did not have the cash to travel to Olympia for this rally, but we had hoped to.
THANKS! I just snagged a box! $50 with tax and shipping, but that is still a good deal on great ammo.
Originally Posted by gemby58
Mark I have 31 boxes of this stuff in my basement, I know its not your bullet weight but have this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/48...-500-10-boxes-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

and 20 boxes of this stuff

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...f-250-5-boxes-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

That second load is exactly what I use on everything that I point a 22 Magnum at. Various rodents, mostly.

I have a bit of 22WMR coming, but I probably should get all that I can of this stuff. I am expecting to feel pretty danged good this varmint shooting season! PM sent.
I was mildly disappointed in the finish on the frame rails as I am fairly expert (mild understatement) in various thermal spray materials applications, but it was easily remedied in about 10 minutes.

All the carbidized treatments I've seen, which is not a lot, look funky. Tough as nails though, actually, quite a bit tougher.
Wolverines!
© 24hourcampfire