Home
Posted By: GunGeek Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/22/15
I just don't get it. The two main ones are the Glock vs. 1911 guys. Why all the hate? If you own X why does it bother you when someone chooses Y or Z??
Posted By: Mink Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/22/15
I own both and like both. Though I do feel a little better using a Glock as a car gun instead of a 1911 that costs more than twice as much. Just not in condition one.
Buddhists call it identification, people tie their egos to their possessions or something that gives them their identity.

"So, you chose something other than what I chose. Well, since I'm the center of the universe and everything other people do is really all about ME, what you're really saying is that you think what I bought is a POS. And if you think what I bought is a POS then what you really mean is that I'M a POS! Well F*CK YOU!!!!"

While I suspect, or at least hope that most of the bashing is more in fun, when people get serious the above is why.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by Mink
I own both and like both. Though I do feel a little better using a Glock as a car gun instead of a 1911 that costs more than twice as much. Just not in condition one.

I agree with this stance. I've owned both, shot both, and like both. I prefer to carry the 1911 over the Glock as I was never able to get comfortable carrying a Glock in Condition 1, IWB. I have no qualms about a 1911 carried that way.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I just don't get it. The two main ones are the Glock vs. 1911 guys. Why all the hate? If you own X why does it bother you when someone chooses Y or Z??

Some guns are better than others, for certain situations, obviously. Some guns require quite a bit more training to achieve the same level of safety and marksmanship than others. I think trying, and being familiar with LOTS of pistols is a good idea, but most don't have the time, inclination, or resources to do that. When folks ask me, I nearly always say a Glock 19 is almost never a bad choice.

The last gun I bought was an XDm.
I have owned more than a few of both Glock and 1911's, personally prefer the trigger of a good 1911, but will admit that a 1911 is not a beginners best choice at all.

I also have enjoyed my various Charter Arms, Kel Tec, and a few other brands not as commonly appreciated. For certain specified purposes, some of the lesser knowns have some good niche guns.
As I stated in another post, this is a wonderful time to be a pistol carryin gun guy. LOTS of really good guns and choices out there. And, some fun caliber choices as well. 22TCM, 5.7x28 and 9x23 come to mind.
Posted By: Mink Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Buddhists call it identification, people tie their egos to their possessions or something that gives them their identity.

"So, you chose something other than what I chose. Well, since I'm the center of the universe and everything other people do is really all about ME, what you're really saying is that you think what I bought is a POS. And if you think what I bought is a POS then what you really mean is that I'M a POS! Well F*CK YOU!!!!"

While I suspect, or at least hope that most of the bashing is more in fun, when people get serious the above is why.

Chit, this explains a lot about this place.
Jim in Idaho,

I think that you have hit it right on, and squished a nerve or two.

If a person is getting their identity from their stuff, and that is a very precarious (and foolish x 100) position to be in. But, it does explain why some get all wound up over a "my way is the only way" thinking here.
Mas Ayoob did a column in a Backwoods/prepper magazine years ago and opined that a 45acp, loaded with 200gr SWC's, would be a good low-tech defensive/survival option when and if "super-nine" ammo became scarce or unavailable. I can't make Barnes X's or Black Talons but I can cast 200gr SWC's.
Originally Posted by safariman
Jim in Idaho,

I think that you have hit it right on, and squished a nerve or two.

If a person is getting their identity from their stuff, and that is a very precarious (and foolish x 100) position to be in. But, it does explain why some get all wound up over a "my way is the only way" thinking here.

OMFG!

This might be the height of hypocrisy, Mr. Only-an-uber-magnum-is-capable.

Do you even bother to think things through before you post them?
I was in a LGS yesterday that is really a tactical toy bin and was talking to one of their sales guys about some of their pistols in the glass case. He mentioned that he had, carried, and competed with a 1911 lightweight commander and couldn't get "comfortable" with a Glock grip because the angle was different.

I asked him if he ever shot single action revolvers and he said yes, then I asked him if he thought that grip angle was different than his 1911. "Well yup" was the response. He did seem super tactical with his appearance but what the heck it was a tactical shop and maybe he was a super competitor who didn't want his muscle memory to become confuse on the grip angle changes!!!!

I've got handguns with all kinds of grip angles from 1911, Glock Ruger, Sig, Single Action Colts, even ARs with all different grip angles and when I shoot them, I ADAPT, it's not hard to do.

My 1911 has a phenomenal trigger break to it but so do some of my Glocks, Rugers, and Sigs.

I like them all and love to shoot them all and I don't give a poop what you shoot as long as you are happy with it and then let's go shoot together.
I love the "that gun doesn't fit me" line.

Always a knee slapper.

Travis
[Linked Image]
My favorite is 45ACP vs 9mm for a carry piece.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
My favorite is 45ACP vs 9mm for a carry piece.

You'd get buy with a .177.
Originally Posted by 4ager
OMFG!

Not to mention that his screen name tells everyone "I've been to Africa and you haven't".
I was also waiting for him to add that a good belt makes carrying easier.
I don't know what you guys are thinking.

Pistols suck so give me a revolver and it better be a Smith&Wesson!
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by 4ager
OMFG!

Not to mention that his screen name tells everyone "I've been to Africa and you haven't".
I was also waiting for him to add that a good belt makes carrying easier.

Are all yankees this class conscious? Just sayin.....

No damn wonder y'all can't elect a Republican.
Posted By: rifle Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/23/15
I have found the big revolver guys usually have a lot of common sense, same with Hi-Power owners but...

People that carry a Hi-Point bother me...
Posted By: Gibby Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/23/15

That's just the way Gun owners are. Simple.

That said, I would not want forged steel Legos to play with.

See, I am versatile and open minded.
Glocks and 1911's are probably the two most popular handguns so I think natural that comparison be made.

It took me some time, not mention my hard earned money buying/selling/trading handguns to determine which I liked best and fit my need, etc.

After going through this expense and time, I don't begrudge anyone for their choice in handguns. It works for them. I'll find what works for me.
I simply enjoy making fun of 1911's.

Travis
Posted By: JOG Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/23/15

You tell me.

Rabid Glock Owners - Please explain???

Okay guys, someone help me with this.

Why does Glock have these followers who think the Glock is the end all everything? What is it about a Glock that makes someone think it�s the ultimate, and that there could be no wrong coming from Glock? Why is it that Glock lovers chose to completely ignore any evidence that might signal that a Glock is just like any other pistol?

Why is it you can have someone talk about a trip to the range where he sees 10 1911�s fail, but when someone says he saw 10 Glocks fail, all hell breaks loose? What is it about a Glock that makes it sacred from all common sense?

For every feat of the amazing, you can find a tale that tells quite the opposite story; yet the Glock-o-holics will only believe the former and never the latter. (to be fair, for every tale of the amazing, you can find a tale of failure for just about any firearm; it�s the nature of firearms�they�re not perfect)

So Glock-o-holics�What makes the Glock so special, that you�re willing to automatically dis-believe anything negative, and only believe the positive? What magic does the Glock have that makes one do that?
Originally Posted by JOG

You tell me.

Why does Glock have these followers who think the Glock is the end all everything? What is it about a Glock that makes someone think it�s the ultimate, and that there could be no wrong coming from Glock? Why is it that Glock lovers chose to completely ignore any evidence that might signal that a Glock is just like any other pistol?

Why is it you can have someone talk about a trip to the range where he sees 10 1911�s fail, but when someone says he saw 10 Glocks fail, all hell breaks loose? What is it about a Glock that makes it sacred from all common sense?

For every feat of the amazing, you can find a tale that tells quite the opposite story; yet the Glock-o-holics will only believe the former and never the latter. (to be fair, for every tale of the amazing, you can find a tale of failure for just about any firearm; it�s the nature of firearms�they�re not perfect)

So Glock-o-holics�What makes the Glock so special, that you�re willing to automatically dis-believe anything negative, and only believe the positive? What magic does the Glock have that makes one do that?

Too fuggin' funny...

Travis

I tend to completely ignore bashers as most of them simply don't know WTF they are really talking about.

I do listen to critical opinions & comments from various knowledgeable people on whatever gun might be under discussion.

MM
hate Glock triggers. hates 'em. I've shot spring-loaded dart guns that were crisper.

and that thing about having to manually strip the magazine? screw that!

whistle
My Chevy is perfect, your Ford is junk.

My PC is ideal, you Mac is garbage.

Mary Ann is beautiful, Ginger is a dog.

I could go on & on.

It is the normal human condition.
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
hate Glock triggers. hates 'em. I've shot spring-loaded dart guns that were crisper.

whistle

That was only on the old ones.

Travis

whistle

I've learned to make my Glock triggers pretty darn good & I'm not easy to please about triggers. Just sayin'.
Originally Posted by JOG

You tell me.

Much the same thread...In that post, I'm not bashing Glocks, just trying to understand the people who are nuts over them.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I tend to completely ignore bashers as most of them simply don't know WTF they are really talking about.

I do listen to critical opinions & comments from various knowledgeable people on whatever gun might be under discussion.

MM

That makes sense.

When I see the guys who say it's this gun or nothing, the first thing that comes to mind is, that's a seriously insecure person right there.

whistle

I've learned to make my Glock triggers pretty darn good & I'm not easy to please about triggers. Just sayin'.

Thank you. It'll never be a 1911 trigger, but then again, nothing else ever will be either. The good news is it doesn't have to be to be a superb self-defense pistol.
Posted By: TWR Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/23/15
I'm not a 1911 basher but I still wonder why so many defend such a fragile design.

Now before I start getting hate mail, I"ve shot a few and owned a couple. The first was an STI Ranger, the current one is a Colt Combat Commander. Neither would or will make it through 100 rounds without something going wrong yet every time I mention it, I get is "all my 1911's have been 100%, the 1911 is the only pistol to own and defend your life with". I'm still pouring money and ammo through this Colt to figure it out.

So why all the 1911 defenders?

I will say I'm fixing to buy a Glock 19 to go with my S&W Shield and my Sig 228 and my S&W 640-1. A man needs to have options.
Jim nailed it in post 3. It could be guns, trucks, football teams, etc., In any apples vs. oranges discussion the foaming at the mouth mindless fan boys suffer from feelings of inadequacy and compensate for those feelings by defining themselves by the side they've chosen.

Putting the fan boys aside, there is another group. That group that has put so much time training with their chosen platform that its use is second nature and they are fully aware of the shortcomings and know how to overcome them. I wouldn't want to be in a gun fight from either camp that had become utterly proficient with their chosen platform.
Posted By: JOG Re: Bashers...1911 / Glock, etc. - 01/23/15
Jerry Miculek has a video reviewing the G41 and he's pulling shots left and battling the trigger the whole time. Yes, Mr. Miculek is still immortal pulling left, but where does that leave us riffraff?
Originally Posted by deflave
I simply enjoy making fun of 1911's.

Travis

That's because you are a heathen.

One thing I enjoyed about SHOT this year was viewing some 1911s that could only be considered works of art. I saw one with grips made from -- no chit -- a meteorite. And then there's "new Damascus" slides... grips made of Mammoth tusk and tooth... and all manner of exotic coatings and engraving. Needless to say, I didn't ask the price on those.
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm not a 1911 basher but I still wonder why so many defend such a fragile design.

Now before I start getting hate mail, I"ve shot a few and owned a couple. The first was an STI Ranger, the current one is a Colt Combat Commander. Neither would or will make it through 100 rounds without something going wrong yet every time I mention it, I get is "all my 1911's have been 100%, the 1911 is the only pistol to own and defend your life with". I'm still pouring money and ammo through this Colt to figure it out.

So why all the 1911 defenders?

I will say I'm fixing to buy a Glock 19 to go with my S&W Shield and my Sig 228 and my S&W 640-1. A man needs to have options.

I think it�s important to differentiate between design and manufacturing.

What you�re talking about isn�t related to design, but manufacture.

We know for a FACT that the 1911 isn�t a fragile design. 75 years of US service has proven that.

But anyone can take a good design and screw it up in the manufacturing, which is probably what you encountered. For those who have stories like yours, I believe them. For those who say their 1911�s have never failed, I believe them. Because there�s something like 30 different manufacturers of 1911�s these days.

Military 1911�s were held to a ridiculous spec, and 1911�s just haven�t been built like that since. The only ones that come close are the one�s made by hand, and even then they may have the build quality, but they completely lack the parts interchangeability of the military guns.

These days 1911�s are kinda like the IMB compatible PC. When you get one, you can just about guarantee that the name on the side didn�t build the majority of the parts. In fact, the only 1911 maker I know of that actually makes every part is Taurus. Everyone else uses a wide variety of subcontracted parts in their 1911�s.

That said, there are some things about the design which are rather obsolete. The swinging link, internal extractor, and non-ramped barrel designs are things that are a bit less forgiving during assembly than more modern designs. So while it�s certainly not a fragile DESIGN, it is a bit obsolete in comparison to more modern pistols. Doesn�t mean it can�t be a great pistol, just that it�s an old design.
Any of you 1911 fans seen the Korth "1911"? It uses some type of roller locking action.
Caspian, FWIW, gets almost a grand for their damascus slides smile

Someday I might build a Bar-B-Que 1911, with all kinds of fancy doo-dads on it. It is not difficult to make grips for a 1911, so there's hundreds of different styles available - everything from mammoth tooth, to aggressive G10, to engraved sterling silver. And many of the other parts are available in custom configurations.

There was an extensive owner survey at 1911Forum a couple years ago, with hundreds of people rating the reliability of their pistols, as far as malfunctions in the first 200 rounds. H&K was actually the winner, with something like 4% failures, Glock was about 10.4%, and Wilson Combat, and Baer were about 12% & 13%. Colt was the best of the production guns, at around 17%. So a really good 1911 will be in the same ballpark, reliability wise as a Glock, but H&K beats both smile

I've owned two Glocks, a 2nd Gen G22, and still have a 4th Gen G34. Neither was especially accurate, but both have no malfunctions. I am kinda pizzed at the G34; I would expect a long slide target pistol to be tightly fitted, but it's about as sloppy as their other guns. It does run flawlessly, but I don't carry it, nor completely trust it without a manual safety.

When I decided to get another double stack 9, I eventually settled on the H&K P30LS, as I like the safety, and to me it points the best of any of the poly frame pistols. So far it shoots very well, and does not jam.

I've owned or shot a pile of 1911's. Some of them I trust completely, and some are toys only. YMMV. But I do get a gun that is easy to shoot well, with a metal frame, that is easily customized and tuned. And if it does not run 100%, it's really not that hard to fix them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JOG
Jerry Miculek has a video reviewing the G41 and he's pulling shots left and battling the trigger the whole time. Yes, Mr. Miculek is still immortal pulling left, but where does that leave us riffraff?

Jerry prolly didn't get his trigger tuned.........but then again, he was prolly shootin' beyond my speed limit too. wink

As someone else said, the Glock trigger will never be the equal, or really, not anywhere near, a SA, 1911 trigger.

But done right & managed well, it works for SD level shooting........it's not intended to be a 50 yd, slow fire bullseye target trigger.

I'm satisfied enough with all the Glocks that I have, to carry them with unabashed confidence any place, any time; but that's also true of my Beretta's, & my S&W's........ smile

But they surely don't have that intimate feel of a 1911.

MM

Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

That's because you are a heathen.

One thing I enjoyed about SHOT this year was viewing some 1911s that could only be considered works of art. I saw one with grips made from -- no chit -- a meteorite. And then there's "new Damascus" slides... grips made of Mammoth tusk and tooth... and all manner of exotic coatings and engraving. Needless to say, I didn't ask the price on those.

1911's are cool. When they're old. And original. And have cool, old, original schit stamped on the side of them.

I'm sure meteorite slabs help sell custom knives and custom 1911's. But I think they're fuggin' stupid.

One of many reasons I like to make fun of 1911's.

Travis
Originally Posted by JOG

Jerry prolly didn't get his trigger tuned.........but then again, he was prolly shootin' beyond my speed limit too. wink

As someone else said, the Glock trigger will never be the equal, or really, not anywhere near, a SA, 1911 trigger.

But done right & managed well, it works for SD level shooting........it's not intended to be a 50 yd, slow fire bullseye target trigger.

I'm satisfied enough with all the Glocks that I have, to carry them with unabashed confidence any place, any time; but that's also true of my Beretta's, & my S&W's........ smile

MM

Nice triggers on a handgun are cool. When you're shooting rabbits. Or gophers.

Travis

I own a 1911 and don't care for Glocks. But it doesn't bother me in the least if someone else chooses a Glock.

Big Brother loves his but I think he carries his 1911 more.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JOG

MM

Nice triggers on a handgun are cool. When you're shooting rabbits. Or gophers.

Travis

Nice triggers are nice anytime, & even on Glocks.

YMMV

MM
© 24hourcampfire