Home
I will be taking my concealed carry @ the end of this month and hopefully will get to carry for the 1st time in the the very near future. Since I will be a complete newbie to carrying I am open to suggestions for my holster. I own an XD 40 sub-compact that I've shot for several years and I feel confident when shooting it. However, I fear of feeling clumsy when carrying it until I get used to it. I would think holster choice could make a big difference on whether or not I feel comfortable carrying. I plan to maybe acquire a S&W Bodyguard in the near future for easier concealment and carrying in my back pocket for when I can't carry the XD 40. So, what holster would you folks suggest for my XD 40?
I use a Cross breed IWB with a kahr 9mm. It seems to work pretty well. I use a El Paso OWB tortilla with a H&K USP 40C that works well, but it's harder to conceal, of course, since it's outside the waist line. I use a clip draw on a couple of J frames for IWB carry. It is easier to carry that way for me than in a back pocket.
Good basic holster without breaking the bank...DeSantis Speed Scabbard. Rides high and tight and very secure. Can be had from $45-60 on ebay, Amazon and GunBroker...

They make a very nice matching single or double mag pouch.

I have them for my 1911s, Medium revolber (S&W K/l, GP100) and 4" N-frame Smiths...

Bob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desantis-00..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f7ecec9a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desantis-Sp..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5666f316b2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desantis-A0..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48798ecc97

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A47BJGGZ0-D..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d5f1d013
Sam Andrews makes all my CCW leather.
[Linked Image]

www.andrewsleather.com
I am still a Milt Sparks fan. I carry a full sized 1911 every day in a VM II and have no problem.

Jut a suggestion. When you get your permit and holster carry all day every day everywhere you can legally carry. You will built self confidence with your carry and not look uncomfortable.
Alien Gear 2.0 IWB.
Nothing beats the Crossbreed Super Tuck for comfort and conceal carry . Order it and try it if you aren't satisfied just send it back and they will refund your money . One bit of advice, get the Horse Hide and the Combat cut when you order.
+1 on horse hide for whatever holster you decide.
Check out Galco for holsters. I like the Royal Guard.
I think that the Crossbreed Supertuck is a decent holster and allows for the user to adjust it to suit his needs, but it is far from the most comfortable I have used. The leather is a bit flimsy, and the rough side finish on the body side and metal fasteners can be abrasive. The belt clips are chintzy and really mess up the belt. In addition, the extra leather at the bottom can interfere with the leg while walking or sitting. I think it is a good starter holster to figure out ride and cant, or for determining if you want to use a particular gun IWB. I then would try to find a non-adjustable one made for the gun with the exact ride and cant, but with better quality materials and less extraneous leather. The price is starting to get ridiculous for what you get, so buying off the “Crossbreed Seconds” website is the way to go.
Listen to Cheyenne, I watch him on Encore Western channel and he speaks straight and he knows iron and leather.
No matter which holster you select, it is absolutely essential you buy at the same time, a good, sturdy leather belt made to support holstered handguns.

A good belt will go a long way in making your holstered handgun comfortable to wear.

Do not go cheap. A good belt will last for many years. A cheap belt will cause sagging and you'll soon find it uncomfortable to carry your handgun.

L.W.
LOL. I can assure you that I have never been on Encore Western channel.
I carry a S&W Shield in a DeSantis OWB holster.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
No matter which holster you select, it is absolutely essential you buy at the same time, a good, sturdy leather belt made to support holstered handguns.

A good belt will go a long way in making your holstered handgun comfortable to wear.

Do not go cheap. A good belt will last for many years. A cheap belt will cause sagging and you'll soon find it uncomfortable to carry your handgun.

L.W.

The above is great advice. There are many gun belt makers out there but I use an off the shelf Filson. It is two layers of harness leather stitched together. It looks and works great and is guaranteed for life.

L.W.

Excellent point. Could you name some "good, sturdy leather belt" manufacturers for us?

Thanks
Jim
I'm all ears
Found this after a quick search:

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html
I ended up picking up this Bianchi @ my local farm and ranch store. It was all they had that would fit my XD 40 so I grabbed it. It didn't break the bank and I want to practice drawing from it and shooting before I take my class. It will be something to start with and I can always upgrade later when I become more knowledgeable about what I want.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I use these and am very happy with them

http://agcustomgunleather.com/store/

The quick ship belts are great
The Bianchi looks good, minimal pancake.
For inside waistband carry the N82 (2 in "squared" position by 8). The acronym is pronounced Nate Squared. They're adjustable, secure and comfortable. For outside waistband the Blackhawk SERPA. I carry every day and these are the ones I've settled on for a G23. YMMV.
Originally Posted by Rug3

L.W.

Excellent point. Could you name some "good, sturdy leather belt" manufacturers for us?

Thanks
Jim

FILSON
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Rug3

L.W.

Thanks
Jim

FILSON

Simply Rugged
I have a Desantis Insider for the XDsc .40 and it is effective, comfortable, secure and $25.

[Linked Image]
Several quality belt makers have already been listed. My long time favorites are from Milt Sparks, and W. Gordon Davis (deceased), and Alfonso's of North Hollywood, now also deceased.

Those AG belts look good, and I know that Simply Rugged belts are well made for the task.

L.W.

© 24hourcampfire