Home
[Linked Image]
I couldn't help my self. I bought this today for $150, it's a little worse for wear but she locks up tight as can be. Actually this picture was taken before I have her a good cleaning. The action is very smooth. Now to decide whether to fix her up, or leave her as is.
Truck gun, written all over it.
Ole Bristoe would have been all over that like stink on schitt! wink

I was thinking more like tackle box gun! cool
If I find one like that locally, it'll be mine as well.

Load that with some 158 LSWCHP +P loads, toss it in the glove box, and you're well covered.
Did you run it to see if it was hot? grin
No but I bought it from a 91 year old man. He sold me the DS because he wanted a 22 rifle to shoot squirrels in his yard. I'm not to sure he can even see them!
nice
Great grab!
Originally Posted by jstall
Now to decide whether to fix her up, or leave her as is.

I'd leave her as is . . . She nicely matches the furniture she's sitting atop of!
Find some original grips and a Tyler T and stick that bad boy in your pocket when you go out on the town. That's what would happen at my house anyway. Nice buy
Originally Posted by TheKid
Find some original grips and a Tyler T and stick that bad boy in your pocket when you go out on the town. That's what would happen at my house anyway. Nice buy
That's a later model with oversized grips on it already. I'm not sure a Tyler's T Grip would even fit on it.

It's a nice buy at $150. It doesn't look that bad. I'd guess it would've easily brought $300 someplace else.
I resurrected one in similar condition and sent it to APW. It came back looking like this and I have less invested in this gun than the cost of the average Charter Arms or Taurus revolver.

[Linked Image]

http://www.apwcogan.com/

[Linked Image]The action is very smooth. Now to decide whether to fix her up, or leave her as is.

I'm missing what's wrong that needs to be fixed. Looks fine to me.
The silver flash on the muzzle shows she's been carried, not just a drawer sleeper. She's at her best right now.
Yeah, I'd give $150 for that one!
these guys all have the ejector shroud. Have never understood why colt made them without that protection.
nice find i miss those deals
Yep I may just leave her as is!

Wouldn't hurt a thing!!!

for me i would with everything being tight
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I resurrected one in similar condition and sent it to APW. It came back looking like this and I have less invested in this gun than the cost of the average Charter Arms or Taurus revolver.

[Linked Image]

http://www.apwcogan.com/

Damn fine piece, I would carry it anywhere and not feel undergunned.
I did not find the price list for having the brushed chrome applied... How much did it cost to have it done? I like that look.
Always wanted to find a Detective Special....
You scored a great deal on a solid snubbie. As long as you don't sink more money into it, it's STILL a great deal. Give it an oil and bronze wool scrub and call it good. No reason to cover up all that free character it came with. wink
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I did not find the price list for having the brushed chrome applied... How much did it cost to have it done? I like that look.
Always wanted to find a Detective Special....

$200 / Brushed 400 Grit Polish

http://www.apwcogan.com/complete-price-list/section-7-refinishing.html

Without derailing this thread too badly, there's a practical reason for HC plating an otherwise mechanically sound revolver like this. If the gun is in good shape mechanically, the HC will somewhat "preserve" the condition of the parts and mitigate further wear as the finish is very hard. Support for these out of production Colts is getting harder and harder to find and it's expensive. Something as simple as replacing a cylinder bolt can cost upwards of $100 or more. If the gun has no real collector value and you want to continue to just use it as a shooter, HC will make it a durable piece for at least a lifetime or two.
Odds are that most guys will tire of shooting a snubbie before actually shooting it loose, but I do get your point.

I've never used this company, but it would still be my first choice based on reputation and the specs of the finish.
http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/index.htm

$150 is reasonable too, and the OP would have a heck of a revolver for $300.

almost an avatar pic...

[Linked Image]
You got a real sweet deal!
© 24hourcampfire