Home
Posted By: kend 1979 Python - 04/23/15
I bought this today because it seemed like a good deal. I'm curious what you guys think it's actually worth, rather than what the book price is. Prices seem to vary widely and I'm not well educated when it comes to this gun. The grips were factory installed and of course there is no box. Never touched a Python before and all I can say is wow! There are few tiny rubs and dings that are not readily noticeable. I hope the slobbers didn't cloud my judgment. Thanks, Ken
[Linked Image][URL=http://s578.photobucket.com/user/ken6949/media/P1020573_zpszqt6m4do.jpg.html][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dan Chamberlain Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
The hammer looks strange. If I remember, the Pythons I've had, about three, had a hammer spur like a beaver's tail. Wide and checkered.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
Second that. I was looking at the hammer, also. 5th pic down drew my eye right to it. IIRC, originals I've seen have wider, checkered hammers. This one has straight cuts.
Posted By: Dan Chamberlain Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
Similar to the trooper hammer?
Posted By: 41magfan Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
Can't be certain, but it looks like it's been refinished and the hammer was either modified or it came from another model Colt revolver. As long as you didn't pay top-dollar and it's mechanically sound, you have a very nice shooter.

The factory Python hammer looks like this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
Trigger looks hinky too.
Posted By: RJM Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
I don't believe the Pachmayer Grippers existed in 1979. I know there were Presentation but not sure on the Grippers. That and Colt issued grips from that era had Colt Medallions in them. I had two late 70s vintage Pythons back in the 1980s but don't remember that much about them....

Bob
Posted By: kend Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
Thanks for the bad news! I sure can't find one with a hammer like mine. Not sure about the bluing yet, but I'm thinking it should have more shine.
Posted By: cv540 Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
Everything is relative. Did you buy it as an investment, or to have a nice, smooth gun as an occasional shooter.

I have a 2.5 inch King Cobra that I bought new which is worth way more than what I think it's worth, but is about as useless as tits on a bull.

Enjoy it for what it is, not what it might be worth to someone else.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
The factory blued finish is difficult to duplicate by anyone but an experienced master refinisher; Colt didn't call it Royal Blue for nothing. Even pre-war S&W's didn't really compare to the deep polished blue that was standard on the Python.

Posted By: k20350 Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
I am by no means a Colt expert but that looks reblued to me also. I am also quite sure that those are not the original grips. A friend had a NIB Python from about the same time frame with 2 sets of grips from the factory and the Pachmeyer was a presentation grip.
Posted By: kend Re: 1979 Python - 04/23/15
The Colt guys said the hammer is from another I frame gun and I just gave them these pictures. So it looks like everyone with an opinion here is right

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
yep you got a tinkered with Python.

appears to been reblued and hammer switched out. The finish is what caught my eye first

as long as the gun makes you happy for what you gave for it, you got a good deal

if you were thinking "I snagged a Python at a bargain and they way they've appreciated I can't go wrong" probably not so much.

had two of them, blue six inch like yours and a nickel coated one, (in case there was an opening for a pimp)
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
I saw 2 Trooper MRK III's last weekend at a show. I actually bought the 4", it is a '72 vintage.

The polishing and blueing looks the same. It is mechanically very sound with a very nice bore.

Mine was a good deal for a shooter grade Colt. No worries about using mine since it has no collector value.
Posted By: JOG Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Or a tinkered with Trooper, or "Pooper" as a Trooper with a Python barrel is sometimes called.
Posted By: kend Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
The serial numbers match and are correct for a Python.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
Originally Posted by JOG

Or a tinkered with Trooper, or "Pooper" as a Trooper with a Python barrel is sometimes called.
No, it appears to be a Python, the pins are in the right place on the right side of the frame. And that doesn't look like a Trooper's hammer. The trooper's hammer was wider with very sharp checkering, and they were pseudo-case hardened.

That hammer is not something I've ever seen; weird.
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
I saw 2 Trooper MRK III's last weekend at a show. I actually bought the 4", it is a '72 vintage.

The polishing and blueing looks the same. It is mechanically very sound with a very nice bore.

Mine was a good deal for a shooter grade Colt. No worries about using mine since it has no collector value.
I really like the Mk III Troopers. It's one of my favorite revolvers to do action work on because they come out so nice. The Trooper is one seriously stout, tough revolver; one of the toughest I've ever seen.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
The hammer is likely from an Officer's Match or an Official Police model revolver.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 41magfan
The hammer is likely from an Officer's Match or an Official Police model revolver.

[Linked Image]
Every I frame I can think of had a checkered hammer, not serrated. The serrated hammer in the photo, I've never seen before...kinda driving me nuts.

One would say, oh someone just modified it. But look at how thick it is. If you were to file off the cross hatch checkering, re-shape the hammer then serrate it like the one in the photo, you wouldn't have that much metal left. So the hammer is likely factory something, but what??? It's weird.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You know, another possibility is that it's a repaired Python hammer. Just recalled, Python's used to be quite infamous for breaking the thumb section off the hammer, used to see it all the time in the '70's & '80's. Then when Pythons got really expensive, people stopped shooting the snot out of Pythons and the broken hammer thing just kinda got forgotten. If it's a repair, it's an interesting one. If you wanted to fix the hammer in a way where it would never break again, that looks like a pretty good profile.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
I noticed in his pictures that the trigger also has parallel sides, instead of lightly flaring.

Hey Kevin, since the MRK III's have sintered internals, is it safe to mildly polish the trigger group. I seem to remember something about the hardened surface being very thin in the newer Trooper.
Posted By: JOG Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by JOG

No, it appears to be a Python, the pins are in the right place on the right side of the frame. And that doesn't look like a Trooper's hammer. The trooper's hammer was wider with very sharp checkering, and they were pseudo-case hardened.

The original .357 Trooper and the Python frames and lock work are identical. Just the fitting and finish are different.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
not read replies but looks like a trooper with a python barrel
Posted By: kend Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
Serial numbers match and are correct. Sold it today for what I paid. I kept the gun case and three boxes of 357 ammo. Maybe should have kept it. I paid $1500.
Posted By: RWL99 Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
A great gun, I wish I still had mine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
Originally Posted by RWL99
A great gun, I wish I still had mine.

[Linked Image]

I fear that the days of production revolvers of that quality are past.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: 1979 Python - 04/24/15
Considering someone paid over a Grand for this piece of sh*t, I'd say you did ok for a good shooter. Pythons of any condition bring stupid money these days...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=467578013
Posted By: kend Re: 1979 Python - 04/25/15
That's purty!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 1979 Python - 04/25/15
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by JOG

The original .357 Trooper and the Python frames and lock work are identical. Just the fitting and finish are different.
But the original trooper's frame was angled down toward the barrel, so the frame doesn't match up with the barrel.
© 24hourcampfire