Home
Posted By: Nate40 I'm torn on what to get - 07/28/15
As the title says I'm torn on what I want. Looking for a ruger black hawk in 41,44, or 45lc. Main use is whitetail deer and pigs under 40yards. I do hunt in black bear country some but chances of it ever being used on one are very slim. I use to have a 4-5/8in 44 mag black hawk and loved it, I'm thinking 5.5 or 6.5 inch barrel. Which calibor do you recommend? Yes I do reload. Thanks
Posted By: lastround Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/28/15
I've got both .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. (Redhawks). Either will work, but I'm liking my .45 more and more as I go along. Especially as you reload, the .45 will give you all the options. Nothing wrong with a .41 magnum either; I just don't have one at the present.
Originally Posted by Nate40
As the title says I'm torn on what I want. Looking for a ruger black hawk in 41,44, or 45lc. Main use is whitetail deer and pigs under 40yards. I do hunt in black bear country some but chances of it ever being used on one are very slim. I use to have a 4-5/8in 44 mag black hawk and loved it, I'm thinking 5.5 or 6.5 inch barrel. Which calibor do you recommend? Yes I do reload. Thanks
It's really a toss up ballistics-wise with the uses you cite. With you reloading, it becomes even less clear. The 44 Mag. will be the easiest to procure factory ammo for. The 45 Colt will give you an edge on even bigger critters, should you decide to go there. The 41 Mag. is by far the hardest to get ammo and components for. It would be my last choice of the three. 44 Mag. if your usage is strictly what you said or smaller.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/28/15
I shot, loaded and hunted with both cartridges for literally decades. Both are great cartridges. You are wise in keeping your shots under 50 yards; it took me a while to figure out my success rate on deer went up exponentially when I followed that simple practice.

A 4 3/4" Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt is an easy-packing solution to your dilemma.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/28/15
Because you reload, any of the three will work for your described purposes. My choice is, and has been for many years, the 45 Colt.
Posted By: dsink Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/29/15
45 Colt would be my choice. It should be the lightest of the 3 calibers (if weight is a concern) and since you reload, you can really have a wide range of power levels.

I have a 41 mag in a model 57 smith with a 4" barrel and a Blackhawk in 45 colt with a 4 5/8" barrel. I find top end loads much more pleasant to shoot in the Ruger than in the Smith.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of the 3 calibers.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/29/15
For you stated purposes, I'd go .41 Mag all the way; and 5.5" is perfect.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/29/15
.45 Colt would be my choice -- 5 1/2-inch Bisley.
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
.45 Colt would be my choice -- 5 1/2-inch Bisley.

This, especially since you reload. As a bonus if you have a .45 ACP (or need an excuse to get one) they can be had with an interchangeable ACP cylinder.
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/29/15
44 magnum, no regrets! 6-8.5" barrel
Posted By: nick Re: I'm torn on what to get - 07/30/15
Any of the three cartridges will do what you want.
I've used them all and the only one I still have is a 7 1/2" Blackhawk 45 Colt. It just plain shoots.
But really all great cartridges
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/01/15
I am kind of addicted to .41magnum, and i cast bullets and load for all three you mentioned. Reloading opens up a lot of windows over the silly price of factory ammo.
I do think tho a .45colt will do most if not all what the others will without the blast and recoil.
I load all three to about the same thing, a 200grain something pill to about 1000fps.
However a 45colt in a blackhawk or redhawk you can push it right up there if needed.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/01/15
Well Nate, since you asked, the winner in my book, hands down, is the .45 Colt! The original "Magnum" handgun when it first arrived on scene many years ago....

You can load it from mild to wild and kill just about anything on this continent with it!

Frankly, I don't need to load it up to near .454 Casull levels to kill deer, Elk, or Bear.....a 250 slug clocking 1,100 fps is a hard hitting load without the wrist wrenching recoil of the heavier loads.

You can get it in your choice of single or double action, whichever you prefer. Although the Redhawk will let you run the gamut of loads, I happen to prefer the S&W revolvers, and usually carry a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt......most accurate, and slickest actioned pistol I have ever owned!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/01/15
not an expert but the 44 magnum out of a handgun in a tree stand is not for me, I have had 3-4 of them, all gone, want to try a 45 colt someday, just spending my money on other foolishness these days.
Whenever this subject comes up I always recommend reading these two articles as they specifically address the differences between the .44 Magnum and .45 Colt with a little discussion of the .41 Magnum tossed in.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/heavyweight_bullets.htm

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm
Posted By: JSH Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/01/15
Take your pick-they will all do what you want with the right bullets. For a combination belt/hunting revolver I think a 5 inch Smith 629 Classic would be about perfect.
Posted By: saddlering Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/01/15
Iv had the 44s and 45s I now have just 45colts, a 2" barreled colt New Service and a "4 Smith 25, have been carrieing one or the other while berrie picking, the last week, as the bears are picking them also!
Ruger Blackhawk .45/45acp convertable. What's not to like.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/01/15
Ruger Bisley stainless with 5.5 inch barrel in 45 Colt. The extra .45 ACP cylinder would be nice to have but not mandatory.

This is an example of the dual cylinder model:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497521567

I own one without the .45 ACP cylinder and it is a keeper.
Posted By: Nate40 Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/02/15
I currently do have a sw 625 mountain gun in 45colt. A 45 in a ruger would make since. Ive had a 44mag for a longtime and traded it it seems kind of weird not having onevin the safe. I'm now deliberating on a standard 5.5 in 44mag and a 5.5in 45colt bisley. I hate decisions
Posted By: frogman43 Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/02/15
Nate, don't look now, but this just hit the classifieds!!!!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/10227096/gonew/1/WTS:__Ruger_Bisley_SS_45_Colt_#UNREAD

Here's your Bisley .45 Colt!!!!
Posted By: bea175 Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/02/15
My choice would be another 4 5/8 44 mag or 45 Colt in SS this time.
I like the looks of a 4-5/8" single action but I've carried a 5-1/2" for almost 30 years. They point well and when time is of the essence you want a gun that points in the right direction. I've got plenty of 44's and 45 Colts. I like them both but because I started along time ago I mostly have carried 44's. 45 Colts are a strong 2nd choice. Next decisions are plow handle or bisley. I've carried a plow handle for almost 50 years. Just starting to get used to bisleys. Bottom line you have to decide for your self.
Posted By: Full3r Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/02/15
Hard to go wrong with any of the above mentioned, had been staying in the 357s until recently. Bought a 4 5/8 45 convertable from buds about a month ago as i couldn't find a 629 local. have mostly shot the ACP cylinder, and with 200 gr lead SWC it is a super accurate hand gun. Waiting on my order from Starline for 45 LC brass as they are almost impossible to find local. But lo and behold was in the fun shop yesterday and they had a 629 classic 5" nib for a very reasonable price. already had some store credit so it was a no brainer and shot it today. Now its a toss up as to which one will get carried in the deer woods.

David
Posted By: memtb Re: I'm torn on what to get - 08/03/15
In the Ruger,which is plenty stout,I lean toward the 45LC.With the limited ranges you mentioned and the game your hunting,I think that a hot 45LC, would be tough to beat."There's no substitution for cubic inches"!!!! memtb
© 24hourcampfire