this

[Linked Image]

or this

[Linked Image]
sr-22
Beretta 70/71 Jaguar.
Ruger Mark II std barrel

Mike
Ruger Standard Model, second place and sentimental favorite goes to a Colt Frontier Scout I inherited from my Dad.
I'll stick with the 4 inch S&W Model 63
S&W 63
S&W Model 34 since I prefer a revolver for general carry. And the 34 over the 63 because it has better sights for precision work.
Originally Posted by EdM
This

[Linked Image]

this

[Linked Image]

or this

[Linked Image]

THREE EXCELLENT CHOICES. Got to go along with these.
Bearcat, preferably first model. Dig the grips on EdM's.
Originally Posted by 357Carbine
Beretta 70/71 Jaguar.
I'll second that one.
Any of the H&R 22s.
Because nothing bad could ever happen to one of them.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
4" S&W M63...
I'll vote SingleSix. My 6.5" has been on a thousand adventures with me since I was 12. Never a hiccup on critters from mice, turtles, beavers, turkey, coyotes, and one hog.
Nowadays, for me it would be the Ruger Shopkeeper BearCat. My 2nd choice would be my Ruger SR.-22.

All time favorite would be S&W J Frame Kit Gun, with 4" bbl Nickle version.
[Linked Image]

or the slightly heavier target model...

[Linked Image]
4" M-63 S&W.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I can't think of anything better.
Depends on whether you like a semi-auto or revolver.

My first choice semi-auto would be a S&W 41 with a 7" barrel followed by a Ruger Mk II Gov't Target model. Among lighter guns, a friend had a S&W 2206 I liked.

I had a Colt Woodsman years ago. Mine wasn't very accurate and some previous owner had swapped out the rear sight for a peep sight. WTF? I had a Reising at the same time which shot quite a bit better.

Among revolvers, my first choice probably the current production / distributor exclusive Ruger Bearcat with adjustable sights. Next in line, for me, is a 4-5/8" barreled blued single six. S&W 3" J frame with adjustable sights would be my DA choice followed by a 6" barreled K frame and a 4" Colt Diamondback. I like the little stubby birds-head Bearcats as well.

Tom
Smith kit gun or Ruger SR 22
I see several mentions of the SR-22 and I'll agree that it is a handy little semi auto. Honestly, nowadays I do carry my SR-22 about as much as my M63. The M63 isn't going to be replaced but the little Ruger semi auto is very capable.
[Linked Image]

Wish I had a $1 for every mile this was carried and every brick of ammo through this my first pistol! It is still one of my favorites.

Mike
I'm partial to my Ruger Single Six with 4 1/2" barrel
[Linked Image]
I'm partial to my new model BearCat.

[Linked Image]
I will have to be the person to give a dissenting opinion in regards to the Model 63. My personally owned version is an older no dash version.

Carries beautifully, and you hardly notice it is there, much like the slim Woodsman/Huntsman pistols from Colt.

With that said, I have yet to see a person (aside from small kids who cannot handle the weight of a K frame) who can shoot a 4" 63 as well as a 4" K-22 like the model 18.

Personally,I am much more proficient with the K-22.

I love the 4" J frame .22, but for pure shootability, I don't think they hold a candle to the Colt Woodsman, or a K-22.

Purely observation/opinion though, and there are lots of experienced .22 shooters here.
I'm not going to claim it's the most accurate 22 in the world, but it's still my favorite.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I love the 4" J frame .22, but for pure shootability, I don't think they hold a candle to the Colt Woodsman, or a K-22.

Purely observation/opinion though, and there are lots of experienced .22 shooters here.

Well said, Sir. I'm also partial to the K22, either 4 or 6".
Bob

[Linked Image]
I sold a Ruger MKII 5 1/2 bull barrel because I was able to shoot my M63 far better.
Out of several K22s I've owned, this one is my favorite.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Bob,

You have a stellar collection of K-22s! (among a bunch of other nice guns). smile

I bet your kids LOVE visiting and going plinking.
Originally Posted by EdM
I sold a Ruger MKII 5 1/2 bull barrel because I was able to shoot my M63 far better.

I completely believe you, though it seems it would be the other way around, especially when talking about a target pistol like the MKII.

With that said, I also have a 5.5" MKII bull barrel, and my example is far from the most accurate .22 I have. superbly reliable, but only mediocre in the accuracy department with bulk ammo.
Bob,You have a stellar collection of K-22s!

Indeed. But they don't show much sign of 'carry', in the normal way most folk do on the 'trail'. What's the secret? Strap a padded pistol rug to your belt?......grin
I'll have to see what I got in my knapsack . . .

> http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/8891131853/10063209/acf29c6.jpg <
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

This.

Still can't believe I sold mine. It had a wonderful set of Herrett stocks on it, too.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Bob,You have a stellar collection of K-22s!

Indeed. But they don't show much sign of 'carry', in the normal way most folk do on the 'trail'. What's the secret? Strap a padded pistol rug to your belt?......grin

I mostly do the range thing...gun gets transported in a nice, padded pistol rug. Shot a lot, but not carried in a holster. If I'm banging around in the woods, I'm usually close to the truck. Gun is on the front seat, next to me. When I was on active duty in N Carolina, it was either a Browning Hi Power or a 6" K22 (or both). Only my old duty/carry guns are battered up. Lots of blue wear on my target guns, though.
Bob
Haven't gotten around to shooting this one yet. Someday.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
....hummmm I have too many ".22 trail guns"....

My one and only from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s was a 1961 vintage 6" S&W Model 53 .22 Jet with an extra rimfire cylinder. Well over a thousand Jets went down the tube as well as cases of .22 Long Rifle as it was the only .22 I had all those years... Even though the forcing cone looked like a funnel and there was a loose spot in the bore about an inch ahead of the forcing cone it still shot little tiny groups...

[Linked Image]

It was D&T many years ago for a Bushell Phantom scope base. It only wore a 1.3X although I now have some 2.5X. Three of the most memorable shots... A very large water moccasin sunning itself on a ranch road...head shot at 60 yards with the scope/.22 Jet using the door frame of a Land Cruiser for support. Open sight standing shot at a starling in a tree at 80 yards with the .22 Long Rifle cylinder. Bird hung upside down for about 5 seconds before dropping off. Just got done sighting in the scope in a sand pit and as I was leaving a pheasant ran across the rear of the pit and hid behind a clump of grass..one shot broke its back at about 30 yards...he was delicious...think that was the Jet round.

Found a new barrel that just happened to be of the correct vintage with the sight base pinned to the barrel...now no more Jets...have a TC Contender for the rest of them.

Bob
This would make a nice "little" trail gun also...a Model 35 with an extra .22 Magnum cylinder....guns S&W should have made...

[Linked Image]

Or a Model 18 with an extra .22 Magnum cylinder...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or for those with small hands...a round butt Model 18...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...but then there is the Model 51 .22 Magnum with extra LR cylinder...

[Linked Image]

Hard to beat a 63 though..especially when it has a extra Magnum cylinder...

[Linked Image]

Decisions...decisions....
LOVE that 63...especially the front sight!
Bob
I bought the gun used with stock grips on it as is... Would love to know who the smith was who worked on the gun as they milled off the front ramp, mortise the front base, made the Patridge front blade and pinned it in place.

The front blade has a white dot and the rear blade one small white dot on each side of the notch. The action has also been gone over. I added the target grips and found the .22 Magnum cylinder on ebay from the estate from esteemed pistolsmith Austin Belhert.

If I had to cut down to one .22 revolver left this one would be very near the top of the list...

Love your Heritage....

Bob
I have a K-22 and while it is a fantastic revolver, I don't see the size of it as a "trail gun." There is considerable difference in weight and overall size between the 4" J-frame and the 6" K-frame guns. Same for the size of the standard Ruger MK series of semi autos vs. the little SR-22. If I'm going squirrel hunting with a handgun or pure target/plinking the 6" K22 or MKIII Hunter 5.5" is going with me. If I'm poking around scouting or otherwise working outdoors the smaller guns are better suited for me personally.
Originally Posted by Robster
I'm partial to my Ruger Single Six with 4 1/2" barrel

My first NIB .22, bought back in about '87, was one of those. I had it for a few years, then sold it to fund something else. I've owned 12-15 more single six .22s since. Aside from a 9-1/2 inch barreled gun that liked *one* .22 magnum load, none of the others have shot well enough to keep around.

Tom
...have been in the same boat. Have had a half dozen Single-Sixs and only one shot ok with .22 LR...but that was 4 5/8" stainless * stamped that was supposedly made just for LR ammo.

That said I do now own a 7.5" Hunter that is a tack driver with both cylinders...but it is a little long for a daily trail gun...

Bob
Its difficult to describe the BEST Trailgun. Certainly the S&W M-18 and the H&R 999 pictured above make the short list.
In my my experience the .22lr and the .22 RFMagnum come up just a bit short on the heavily muscled critters such as the adult Raccoon ans the larger Jackrabbits.
For me the .32’s seem to fill the bill.
Polished stainless steel will not make the cut due to sunlight reflection. The good trail guns are blue or frosted.

Model 632 4” .32 H&R Magnum and Model 36 “Trail Masterpiece” (a .38 Spl but well done)
[Linked Image]

Model 632 Carry Comp .327 Federal
[Linked Image]

Its too bad the M632 is polished stainless with the red ramp front sight. Too bad the M-632 Carry Comp has the compensator. They are close.

This one has been down the trail a bit.

[Linked Image]
S&W Mod. 34 or 63 with 4" barrel has worked for me for a lot of years. Have both.
Originally Posted by RJM
That said I do now own a 7.5" Hunter that is a tack driver with both cylinders...but it is a little long for a daily trail gun...

I had one for a few weeks. I took it home, did a trigger job, threw a Leupold 2X on top .. or maybe it was my old Simmons 2-7X Gold Medal .. and headed for the range. I ran probably 25 different long rifle loads through it and 10-12 different .22 mag loads through it. Nothing shot very well so I sold it.

If I remember right, I bought a Ruger Mk III .22 LR (which I still have) and a used S&W 648 (which sucked so it went away, too ... didn't take long to figure out why it was for sale in the first place) to replace it. Today my .22 magnum is a 10" TC barrel which began life chambered for .22LR that my gunsmith rechambered for me. It shoots very well.

I might try another of the blued 4-5/8" single sixes. I might try another "hunter". Dunno. Itches gotta be scratched, logical or not.

Tom
[Linked Image]
My SS New Bearcat carries easy and shoots to the sights, so adjustments aren't needed. I did blacken the rear notch with a Sharpie. The blade needs to have the rounded face squared off a bit and I'd like to cut some fine grooves across it to cut glare, but that might be beyond my skill.

I replaced the ejector rod housing with a steel one from Ham Bowen and replaced the mainspring with a lighter one.

Great little guns.
Originally Posted by threerivers
S&W Mod. 34 or 63 with 4" barrel has worked for me for a lot of years. Have both.

who doesn't?.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Assuming a "trail gun" is one carried and used primarily for small game, my favorite is a Ruger 5 1/2" bull-barrel Target Model. Mine is a Mark I that will consistently put 5 shots into a 1/2" group at 25 yards (about as good as I can hold). I've owned this pistol since 1975.

I own and use various revolvers such as the K-22, Model 63, Colt Officer's model and Ruger Single Six, but never found one that was as accurate or fast into action as the Ruger Target Model.

I never noticed any difference in a heavier gun (bull-barrel/standard or K frame/J frame) as far as carry, but I do find that I tend to shoot better with the heavier weapons. In fact one of my favorite revolvers (which I unfortunately traded away) was a full-size copy of the SAA in .22 LR. This gun was heavier than a similar SAA in .45 Colt due to the smaller hole in the barrel and cylinder....but was dead steady to hold and shoot.

I never could find a reason to use the .22 Magnum in a revolver as it was (to me) just more noise and cost with little gain in power/effectiveness over the LR.

Due to the fact that we are over-run with hogs in my area, there are a lot of times where I find the .22 LR to be just a bit light.

My most common "trail gun" is likely a 4 5/8" SAA in .45 Colt, or if I am looking to fill the pot with small game, a 5 1/2" SAA in .32-20 (which can be used on hogs if you are careful). If it weren't for the hogs I would always choose the Ruger Target Model for all my woods walking.
I had a nice Ruger Government Model that my son talked me out of.
I think a 4" Colt Diamondback is the easiest pistol to shoot well. It was the first handgun I ever bought.
So your going to make me choose between a Ruger MK model, a S&W 617, and any High Standard ever made? U ask too much my friend.
Rick, I would have guessed you saw quite a few .22 Magnums in East Texas. I'll admit the .22 Magnum is a more specialized trailgun. This Model 51 spent the majority of its life in the pockets of trappers. This little handgun has dispatched many bobcat, fox and raccoon in snares and wire box traps using Winchester solids. This little three incher is handy and reliable. A far better killer than the .22lr.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by william_iorg
This little handgun has dispatched many bobcat, fox and raccoon in snares and wire box traps. A far better killer than the .22lr.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......
Yeah, the difference between a 22LR and 22Mag in a 3 1/2" gun is NOISE.
No, its not.
I have pulled a few tails to stretch am out so Dad could give them a slap with the billet.
A few have fight in them and you have a bit of trouble.
The .22lr with a head shot will not put the stop on a big raccoon or a bobcat as quickly as the Fmj .22 Magnum.
When I have a hold on the tail I want things to calm down quickly.
Your experience may be different but we have a lot of critters out here and lots of opportunity to test the theory.
We killed wolves and otters with 22lr in traps. Of course a wolf ain't no coon.
I have never seen a Wolfe in a snare but I have seen a very few coyotes. Most critters sit still as you approach. Sometimes nash their teeth or snap their jaws and growl low.
When the few who dont give you trouble the fmj .22 magnum does the job a bit better.
I don't know what a trail gun is.

But I wouldn't walk most trails with a 22LR.

Travis
I have never seen a Wolfe in a snare but I have seen a very few coyotes. Most critters sit still as you approach. Sometimes nash their teeth or snap their jaws and growl low.
When the few who dont give you trouble the fmj .22 magnum does the job a bit better.

I see you're from Texas.

Travis
and good at 'pulling tails'......
Not a Native Texan so not a natural story teller.
All I'm saying is in my experience the .22 magnum penetrates better and puts the stop on adult critters quicker than the .22lr. The long rifle in the high speed hollow point or the solid round nose is a poor stopper when used on critters in motion or agitated.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
[Linked Image]

Wish I had a $1 for every mile this was carried and every brick of ammo through this my first pistol! It is still one of my favorites.

Mike

Same here
Not a Native Texan so not a natural story teller.
All I'm saying is in my experience the .22 magnum penetrates better and puts the stop on adult critters quicker than the .22lr. The long rifle in the high speed hollow point or the solid round nose is a poor stopper when used on critters in motion or agitated.

I don't dought your experience with the 22 Mag over the 22 LR in the 3 inch barrel, but I'm betting your results had more to do with the FMJ bullet than it being the 22 Magnum over the standard 22 LR in your particular handgun.

All I'm saying is in my experience

which ain't much....
Years back, I chrono'd some 40gr .22 mag and some Stingers through a 5 1/2" Single Six. Velocity was about the same, as were the holes punched through a bar of laundry soap (poor man's ballistic gelatin). Only criiter I ever popped with the mag was a barn pigeon, not much of a test. The mag, in a handgun, pretty much duplicates a LR from a rifle, which ain't too bad.
I am not saying that others shouldn't use the .22 Magnum....just that it's not my choice. The .22LR "kills" quite well on trapped animals.

The .22 Magnum MAY (sometimes) produce a quicker reaction....but who really cares. The animal is IN A TRAP and not going anywhere. For the lesser cost and noise of the .22LR, I can wait 30 seconds longer. The .22LR will "kill" even animals as large as a 300 pound hog in a trap.....it just takes a little longer You always have the option of shooting again if you aren't patient....after all....the animal is IN A TRAP and not going to leave anytime soon.

For larger animals (hogs) that are NOT immobilized in a trap or snare, the .22LR is VERY marginal and in my experience the .22 Magnum isn't much better. To gain any realistic advantage on these animals I find I need at least something like the .32-20 or .38 SPL.....and if I "know" larger game will be my target I am even happier with a .45 Colt.

Originally Posted by deflave
I don't know what a trail gun is.

But I wouldn't walk most trails with a 22LR.

Travis

Me either, but it's due to the two legged animals around here, not the four. The WMA I hunt is right next to a rustic residential area that harbors some pretty rough characters. I'm told the cops never venture up there without backup.
Originally Posted by TexasRick
The .22LR "kills" quite well on trapped animals.

as does the 22 short........

all the blast and 'penetration' of the mag just is fluff. Unless you want to impress the kid pulling the tail......
The .22LR will "kill" even animals as large as a 300 pound hog in a trap.

or 'even as large as' a 1200 lb steer in a corral.....

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/th_MVI_3285_zpsc676d365.mp4[/img]
For trapped coons I've been using HV 22short HPs the last few years and much prefer them over LRs... a good portion of the time there's no pass through, not as much blood to wash, and a much reduced hematoma. They do a fine job on fox and b'cats too as they are more delicate than coons.
For yotes and otters I prefer HV LR solids.
I did use my HMR on one coon just because... he was asleep when I got to him and I could angle it from the back of his head out through his mouth... several skull fragments that I had to peel off before I could flesh and stretch.
One of the most 'skeered' I've ever been was when an otter pulled out of the trap just as we were getting to him. Forty pounds of pissed off weasel coming at you is a scary thing.
The 22lr is certainly the round of choice for the hogs caught in traps and I have never heard of any unpleasantness using it.
Since this thread is about .22 lr trailguns ans\d the Rugers have a well deserved following here is a picture of our oldest one. Dad bought this Ruger Standard Auto at H. Cooks in Albuquerque in January 1966. At $37.00 plus tax it was not cheap but not out of reach for a working man. This one has ridden a few iles in a Hunter holster and fired a few bricks of .22’s.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
William,

I still don't know what a trail gun is, but I think you might have just won.

Cool Ruger.

Travis
Well, its not a sporting event LOL. Dad had quite a few 22 handguns but he always came back to this one. He finally had to buy another magazine and the pin attached to the takedown lever. He got his moneys worth.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One of the most 'skeered' I've ever been was when an otter pulled out of the trap just as we were getting to him. Forty pounds of pissed off weasel coming at you is a scary thing.

I'll bet so... 40 lbs is a really large otter, larger than any of mine.
I caught one by accident one time... back foot in a flat set for coyotes and that was when they were still bringing good money... he wouldn't hold still long enough to shoot and was lunging at me and making this weird sea lion sound. I'm pretty sure that if he could of pulled out that he would have attacked me.
Since we are on the subject of Ruger 22 pistols, here is two I have that would qualify as trail guns. PacLite and Single 10 with 4 inch barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I say 40, it was a big ass Alaskan otter though, it was actually caught in a mink or marten set. It was ugly for a few seconds.
My favorite is a 2" kit gun or my dad's 4" kit gun by Smith..
S&W 422/622 4.5" with adjustable sights or, if you don't mind a little more weight, the 2206 all-stainless version.
I say 40, it was a big ass Alaskan otter though, it was actually caught in a mink or marten set. It was ugly for a few seconds.

it'd been different, if only you had someone to pull his tail.....
Yes! He have hit him with a length of stove wood and saved a bullet.
A S&W 48 with a set of MCACE .22 LR chamber adapters would be a strong candidate.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
My favorite is a 2" kit gun or my dad's 4" kit gun by Smith..

Hard to beat for easy to carry and high quality.

Mine is a 4".

DF
For me a 6" K-22 is a classic .22LR revolver and easy to pack.I'm also fond of my 4" Model 63.
[Linked Image]
The Bobcat with Crimson Trace can be pretty amazing for a small, pocket type pistol.

The Walther is nice, too.

And, of course, the S&W Kit gun.

This Walther is set up for a suppressor and red dot sight (not shown). Interesting combo, although sorta bulky with can for Trail carry, IMO.

DF
My 2 favorite walk-around 22's are an old H&R Sportsman and a Ruger 22/45 Lite.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
For me a 6" K-22 is a classic .22LR revolver and easy to pack.I'm also fond of my 4" Model 63.

Yes. A nice K22 in 4 or 6" is a beautiful thing.
Bob

[Linked Image]
A lot of nice guns shown here many of which I've not had the pleasure to try. My firat handgun was an old Ruger standard. Put a whole bunch of miles and ammo through that thing and even invented some new cuss words trying to reassemble it as a young teen (out of Mom's earshot, of course).. crazy

The only .22 handguns I currently own are a MkIII 22/45 and a Single Ten. The 22/45 is pretty worked over and has a red dot on it (it's the threaded barrel version) so it's a little bulkier but quite accurate.

For just a plinking/small game carry I love the Single Ten. Mine is the Lipseys model with the 4 5/8" bbl and aluminum grip frame. Very accurate and a pleasure to tote around...

[Linked Image]
I will go out on a limb and say High Standard Sentinel.

I paid $100 OTD for it a few years back and it has been phenomenal. She is not pretty or high maintenance just a simple
working gun.
Originally Posted by krupp
I will go out on a limb and say High Standard Sentinel.

I paid $100 OTD for it a few years back and it has been phenomenal. She is not pretty or high maintenance just a simple
working gun.

Those do have a nice feel and shoot really well.

DF

it'd been different, if only you had someone to pull his tail.....

An idea for a new Jack Links jerky commercial!
[Linked Image]

Mike

love mine.But prefer the model 63 with 2" barrel for everyday strolls
[Linked Image]
Here's my all time favorite
S&W 317 3"
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mistem
Here's my all time favorite
S&W 317 3"
[Linked Image]

I purchased one of these, but its accuracy isn't in the same league as the Model 63 SS. I keep it for a while and then it went down the road. I did kill a coon with it before selling it. My biggest complaint about this pistol is the sights that came on it, they totally suck.

[Linked Image]
I swapped my original sights out for the Hi-Vis.....just couldn't learn to like them. Went back to the standard. Accuracy at 25 yards is minute of pop can.....won't win any matches , but this S&W goes everywhere unnoticed grin
That picture brings back some good memories. My dad bought his Ruger auto in 1962 for I believe $32.50. It also lives in a Hunter holster. He has told me that it will be mine when he is through using it. He is 97 years old now and I hope I don't get it any time soon.
It was light to carry for sure
Originally Posted by bea175
It was light to carry for sure

I am pretty sure mine weighs less than my car keys. My only complaint on the 317 is that they are expensive and the finish comes off at a harsh word.
Smith sure doesn't give them away and that is for sure.
These two S&W's have been the "Best" for me. Truth be known they have dispatched more critters around the home and camp than on the trail cause they are handy to keep close. The Kit Gun fits nice in a rear jean pocket if need be.

I had a Woodsman that went down the road as part of a 1911 trade that I should replace.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Some beautiful pistols and great stories...
Lots of good stories and some cool guns shown.

I also shoot the K frame guns better, but prefer to use the J frames for a trail gun.

And for a trail/trapping gun story:

I used to work with a guy name of Robert. His brother, and all his close friends called him Nick. I asked him one day why they called him Nick.
Seems he used to run a trap line with a ruger mkI stuffed in the front of his pants. But no more.
He said his wife was an ER nurse on duty when they carried him in. She fainted and fell to the floor.
We didn't discuss the difference between the .22lr and the .22 mag, but he did say he was glad it wasn't a .44...
Ouch... shocked

Rather be called Nick than nubbin or stump... blush

DF

Saw a Sig Sauer 938 in .22LR today at a LGS. Looked interesting.

Found this on their website tonight. Also looked interesting.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-22lr-tb.aspx

Threaded barrel.
The 4" pre-Woodsman is what my late dad used. My first 22 pistol and current favorite is my 6" pre-Woodsman.

Since they have no outside hammer I can carry mine in my back pocket chamber empty. If I pull my shirt out or have a jacket on it conceals it.

For longer shots I steady it's barrel by holding it in front of the trigger guard with my thumb and forefinger,

[Linked Image]
sorry to burst your bubble dumbass, but there were NO, NONE, NADA 4inch pre-woodsmans. And your pic ain't a prewoodsman, either.
Browning buckmark is the best 22 ever made.
and I think the Black Label is thee best of the bumpmarps.
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Browning buckmark is the best 22 ever made.

Thank you for your all the specifics.

Travis
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The 4" pre-Woodsman is what my late dad used. My first 22 pistol and current favorite is my 6" pre-Woodsman.

Since they have no outside hammer I can carry mine in my back pocket chamber empty. If I pull my shirt out or have a jacket on it conceals it.

For longer shots I steady it's barrel by holding it in front of the trigger guard with my thumb and forefinger,

[Linked Image]

Ummm.... Fail.

Dave
Got the Mark II, Mark III and the Walther P-22 in the box to take for a little range therapy after work tomorrow.

Didn't get to shoot any this weekend, may as well throw the Taurus 2" snubby in as well.

Mike
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Ouch... shocked

DF

Or Nikki.
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Ouch... shocked

DF

Or Nikki.

laugh

Yep, that too...

DF
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Savage_99

[Linked Image]

Ummm.... Fail.

Dave

Get Don a pair of glasses... blush

That could be an innanet photo of a Woodsman that sorta looks like his Pre-Woodsman, Woodsman. But, this one has "The Woodsman" stamped on it, bigger'n Kansas... wink

DF
not to mention carrying a '6" Pre-Woodsman' in his back pocket...
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Saw a Sig Sauer 938 in .22LR today at a LGS. Looked interesting.

Found this on their website tonight. Also looked interesting.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-22lr-tb.aspx

Threaded barrel.

If the trigger pull is awful like the regular P938, you really can't get much out of the gun. I have a target conversion unit that I would sell at a deep discount. I did a review on it a while back on this forum.
Bea175: The answer IS... the Smith & Wesson Model 63 with 4" barrel and Hogue grips.
I have carried these pistols in the rain forests of Alaska and Washington on down to the rattlesnake country of Texas and most all places in between - and my 63's have yet to fail me or come up short in any situation.
Make NO mistake I love my various Colt 22 automatics but I haven't taken one along on a serious "trail type Hunt" in many decades.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The 4.2" SP101 would be a top choice with 2 mods:
1. a trigger job
2. Hogue grips

Would work great for bear defense as well. I'm pretty sure you could beat a bear to death with one and it wouldn't hurt the revolver at all.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
1. a trigger job
2. Hogue grips

Would work great for bear defense as well. I'm pretty sure you could beat a bear to death with one and it wouldn't hurt the revolver at all.

I keep wanting to try one of these...
That's my problem with attempting to call any .22 DA revolver the best!

They all have horrible DA trigger pulls by nature of the beast, a Ruger, Walther, I assume Colt and Browning all have much better trigger pulls...add in 10 rounds on tap what's not to like.

we aren't talking pocket guns here laugh

Mike
In a 4" revolver most High Speed .22 LR like a Winchester SUPER-X will run right at 1000 fps. A 40 grain .22 Magnum will run 1400 fps...about the same as a .22 LR from a rifle.

There are of course a lot of different .22 rounds in both LR and Magnum. A CCI TNT HP from a revolver at 1400-1600 fps will expand and look just like a Gold Dot HP from a centerfire gun. From one of the little NAA Mini-Revolvers they don't expand at all.

I've only shot a few Jacks with .22 Magnum but they go down a lot better than with Long Rifle rounds... When I hunted with Mackay two years ago, I used his .22 semi-auto handgun. I'd body hit the Jacks and they would never go down unless they were head hit. He ended up taking a precision shot with his scoped rifle to finish most of them off. The .22 Jet at 1800 fps would flatten them.

Bob
Originally Posted by toad
1. a trigger job
2. Hogue grips

I'll lease you one for a while if you'll make me another kydex sheath...
Originally Posted by RJM
In a 4" revolver most High Speed .22 LR like a Winchester SUPER-X will run right at 1000 fps. A 40 grain .22 Magnum will run 1400 fps...about the same as a .22 LR from a rifle.

There are of course a lot of different .22 rounds in both LR and Magnum. A CCI TNT HP from a revolver at 1400-1600 fps will expand and look just like a Gold Dot HP from a centerfire gun. From one of the little NAA Mini-Revolvers they don't expand at all.

I've only shot a few Jacks with .22 Magnum but they go down a lot better than with Long Rifle rounds... When I hunted with Mackay two years ago, I used his .22 semi-auto handgun. I'd body hit the Jacks and they would never go down unless they were head hit. He ended up taking a precision shot with his scoped rifle to finish most of them off. The .22 Jet at 1800 fps would flatten them.

Bob

We need re-do that little trip. A purely jack rabbit safari with big bore handguns, and .22 rifles! I haven't been out looking for jacks in a while, so a couple of scouting trips may be in order. smile
Jacks were in kinda short supply last year...must have all cleared out when they heard I was a cummin' back...

Next time out I have that FA 97 in .327 Federal for Jack Bustin'. 120 FP at 1400 should eliminate the problem of run-offs. If you look over on the SA Forums you'll see what I passed up...would be a great BunnyBuster.

Bob
Originally Posted by toad
1. a trigger job
2. Hogue grips

I'll lease you one for a while if you'll make me another kydex sheath...

the transfer would make that a PITA, but if you need some Kydex done, I can make that happen. it will be little while, like after hunting season, since I am backed up...
I'm partial to the Woodsman I inherited from my Grandpa. Wouldn't pass up a nice Smith pre-lock DA if I could find one...

Any suggestions for a field holster for the Woodsman? Not a lot available from what I can find.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bglimpse
Any suggestions for a field holster for the Woodsman?

Find an old Heiser......
I would think the SW 34's size guns are perfect and want one, but they dont come up in my casual looking or budget.

I think the ruger SR22 will become a standard "trail gun" some day based on price, availability, and consumer shift to black tacticool semi-autos...
Originally Posted by bglimpse
Any suggestions for a field holster for the Woodsman? Not a lot available from what I can find.

Here's your huckleberry:

Available for Ruger .22 Automatics, Colt .22 Automatics, and similar .22 Automatics.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-71-26-1927-holster.aspx
vintage pistolies deserve vintage leather.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a few vintage ones for woodsmans

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509296785

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509472517

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509940073

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509940174

I think I still have a S&W stamped holster that I used to carry my Ruger 6" 22 in. IIRC it was a good match. PM me if interested.
I like the 4" S&W 63 that I've owned for years - it shoots it all, shorts to bird shot and does it well.

The Browning Buckmark is to large and encumbered with optics and just doesn't work for me as a trail gun.

My new Ruger SR22 is quickly becoming a favorite. 10 rounds of good hollow points is plenty. It's accurate and super easy to carry.

I usually carry a .22 when hiking or scouting. Always when I hunt with a center fire rifle.

When bow hunting I carry the 3" SP101 in .357, loaded with 180 Black Talon loads.

BT53
Another handy one I didn't see mentioned is an original Charter Arms Pathfinder with the 3" barrel. Don't get much handier. I have one that may be coming up for sale if anyone is interested.
The M34 spoke yesterday eve.

[Linked Image]
The pistol looks weird with the long grip
Colt Woodsman Match Target form 1938.

[Linked Image]
Factory target grip and far more comfortable to shoot. Looks??
Originally Posted by EdM
Factory target grip and far more comfortable to shoot. Looks??

I agree the longer grips make hitting with the 2" Kitgun easier.
The 2" Kitgun has enough mass for one hand shooting and for double action shooting. The longer grip makes it easier. For holster carry the grip does not get in the way.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]
I though Armadillos were born dead on the side of the road????
vintage pistolies deserve vintage leather.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You always win the cool war. I'll bet Steve McQueen called you that cool guy in Colorado.
That's my problem with attempting to call any .22 DA revolver the best!

They all have horrible DA trigger pulls by nature of the beast, a Ruger, Walther, I assume Colt and Browning all have much better trigger pulls...add in 10 rounds on tap what's not to like.

we aren't talking pocket guns here laugh

Mike
A D Frame Colt can be made silky smooth. My Cobra has a DA like a Python.
When I swap out the barrel on my old M41, though a touch heavy, it is a reasonable trail piece.

[Linked Image]
For me, the 422/622/2206/2214 Smiths are the best shooting and carrying 22 pistols ever made. There are prettier guns, and better crafted guns, but as an overall package, I have found nothing that compares.

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/th_MVI_3285_zpsc676d365.mp4[/img]

Impressive. Years ago I was talked into putting down a blind diseased horse years ago, botched it, grabbed my former Python 6" and dumped it like you did the steer. Shot placement.....
What pump? Nice shot btw! How you want to do it - right.
Originally Posted by 65BR

Impressive. Years ago I was talked into putting down a blind diseased horse years ago, botched it

Lemme guess..... You done the ol' 'shoot'em betwixt the lookers'?

most folks don't realize how high a horses brain is....

the pumper is a win 62-A.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]
I though Armadillos were born dead on the side of the road????

You're confusing armadillos with 'possums smile
Originally Posted by EdM
When I swap out the barrel on my old M41, though a touch heavy, it is a reasonable trail piece.

[Linked Image]

You need to find one of the 5.5" sporter barrels, handy and light weight:

[Linked Image]

Nice shot! What happened to the rest of your dogs tail?
many heelers have docked tails
Ahh. I thought there may have been good story to go with it.
S&W 63 with a 5" barrel first choice. A S&W 34 second choice.
Mine used to be a single six convertible, but lately it' been my SR-22, light accurate and reliable makes it a nice choice.
Originally Posted by 65BR

Impressive. Years ago I was talked into putting down a blind diseased horse years ago, botched it

Lemme guess..... You done the ol' 'shoot'em betwixt the lookers'?

most folks don't realize how high a horses brain is....

the pumper is a win 62-A.

Correct. Had my doubts from the beginning - just followed the instructions given but the fact he didn't do it probably says he never had nor knew the proper placement. My Python w a light HP polarized it. Had I done as you - I might not have had so much conscious playing on me. Steer never knew what happened. 62-A should be a sweet rifle
I hate to sound like a broken record but... I think the S&W "34/35" that I got from RJM comes extremely close.

It is NOT based on an a "34-1" which is a J-frame. Rather, it is a "34" (no-dash) that is based on an I-frame. The J-frames where a redesign of the I-frame to have a longer frame window to accommodate the then-newest hot SD round, the .38 Special. As such, the I-frames are better or more optimally sized to the .22 LR because you are carrying less metal and it is shorter.

The 34/35's "trick" is the non-factory-standard 6" barrel on that I-frame. You get the best possible mechanical precision from the long sight radius in the smallest and lightest-yet-shootable possible revolver package. Mine is 26 oz empty. I used to have a super-dooper lightweight S&W 317-3 but the silly thing was not easy to shoot accurately. What good is it if it can't hit in MY hands.

This thing!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is what it looks like next to a snubby J-framed 34-1.

[Linked Image]

It is positively tiny next to a similarly 6" barreled K-frame 17-8.

[Linked Image]

Much more often than not, this thing comes out with me to play regardless of what else I brought.

[Linked Image]

For a trail gun I grab my stainless Bearcats. I wish it was one of the adjustable sight models, as I have to hold just a little to the right.

Just think how ugly it would'a been were it a Wolf coming live on you.
Wow, no love for the SP 101?!

While I have great respect for the S&W M63, I think Ruger has topped them with the latest evolution of the 4" 22 LR SP101.
I never could settle on what's best. I carry different ones just for a change.
That said --
I've carried this one a good bit and it works well (I don't carry it in Snake season).

[Linked Image]

I've carried this one a lot (after redoing the sights).

[Linked Image]

I've carried this one a zillion miles since the 70s. And by all manner of conveyance -- including on foot. It's been great to own.
[Linked Image]
I have the Beretta Model 87 in 22lr and it works great as long as you don't stretch the range
Kinda like my nickel 4" 34-1 wearing Badger walnut grips. Got the originals, also.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
[Linked Image]

That a 622 ? 6" barrel? You like it,eh?
Know a guy that has a 4" for sale in perfect condition for $400, tempting.
This is what I have been carrying while Bow Hunting the last few days.

[Linked Image]
The only problem with the 422/622 is that they are so light, I find them hard to hold steady and shoot accurately. Great to carry, but hard to shoot accurately. I like the 2206, the all stainless version, better. Heavier to carry, but easier to shoot accurately.
© 24hourcampfire