Home
So I took the CCW class and am now researching a weapon for concealed carry. Two that stand out to me are the Glock 26 Gen4 and the Springfield XD Mod. 2.

Does anybody carry either? What are the pros and cons of each?
They both suck. Glock 19. Rookies buy G 26's and then trade them for Glock 19's
Originally Posted by Bluemonday

Well, I am a rookie. lol
If you're ok with single stack, check out the XDs. I have a G19, XD, several 1911s, sig p238 (wifes) HK P2000, and the XDs, by far the XDs is the best carry gun.
NOT a fan of single stack 9's here...way too small for my hands and hence, not nearly as comfortable or easy to shoot. YMMV...

Love my 19 but now that I own the 'essential' Glocks (to me!) I might have to pick up a 26 some day. Shot one the other day and was impressed for a sub-compact. Light, fairly soft (definitely not in the 19 league) and 10 rds.

However, I find the 19 pretty easy to conceal and damn near a perfect CCW gun (it fights with my 30S for duty) laugh. I'd sure try a 19 were I you. Especially for a newbie.

Again, though...feel is everything so see if you can try 'em all. Just cuz someone else digs a certain model and shoots it well doesn't necessarily mean squat....

Seriously, though, try a 19! grin laugh
Originally Posted by MojoHand
NOT a fan of single stack 9's here...way too small for my hands and hence, not nearly as comfortable or easy to shoot. YMMV...

Love my 19 but now that I own the 'essential' Glocks (to me!) I might have to pick up a 26 some day. Shot one the other day and was impressed for a sub-compact. Light, fairly soft (definitely not in the 19 league) and 10 rds.

However, I find the 19 pretty easy to conceal and damn near a perfect CCW gun (it fights with my 30S for duty) laugh. I'd sure try a 19 were I you. Especially for a newbie.

Again, though...feel is everything so see if you can try 'em all. Just cuz someone else digs a certain model and shoots it well doesn't necessarily mean squat....

Seriously, though, try a 19! grin laugh

Definitely will. Nothing is set in stone at this point. I'm experienced with long guns but not as much with handguns and really not as much with CC guns so any advice is appreciated.
. NO a 26 shoots gust as good
buy a springfield. glocks suck.they are the honda civics of the gun world.nothing special but will get you from point A to B. i had both and sold the glocks.
I like Glocks. But there is something to be said for the grip safety on the springer, for a newbie.
I will have to handle a few different choices before making my decision. Sounds like the trigger really sucks on the XD but I have never fired one.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
So I took the CCW class and am now researching a weapon for concealed carry. Two that stand out to me are the Glock 26 Gen4 and the Springfield XD Mod. 2.

Glocks are the standard by which all others are compared, and they don't have a grip safety, which is just an additional thing that could go wrong.
Rookies buy G 26's and then trade them for Glock 19's
Agreed. The 19 is by far a superior choice. The 26 is too bulky for pocket carry (thus the shortness cannot be justified by that rationale), and doesn't conceal any better than a 19 when carried IWB. In fact, the 19 is both more comfortable to carry IWB, and shoots better. Stepping up to the 17, in fact, doesn't appreciably reduce comfort or concealability, when carried IWB, and noticeably increases shootability yet more.
I've got a XD Mod.2 in 45 and it's a sweet pistol, so far. I don't carry concealed but I imagine it would fit the bill really well with the 9rd magazine in it.

Tanner
A lot depends on hand size. Many people with small hands find the G26 to be a good fit. I have XL sized hands and the G26 size is just a tad too small for me.

Plus the only place I found that I could conceal a G26 better than a G19 size, was ankle carry.

Everywhere else, it still required a holster, and the G19 was a better choice.

Between the 2, I'd pick the G26, but in all honesty, I think most (aside from folks with tiny hands/women) are much better off with a G19.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Between the 2, I'd pick the G26, but in all honesty, I think most (aside from folks with tiny hands/women) are much better off with a G19.

That makes no sense. The grips are the same diameter, and the diameter/trigger reach is the problem for a small hand. A small hand is better off with something like a Khar P9.

A Glock 26 is no harder to shoot well than a 19, it is, IMO, a LOT harder to shoot fast and well, ESP from the holster, against the clock.
Get the glock 23 in .40

You can always buy a 9mm barrel and then shoot both rounds.
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Get the glock 23 in .40

Why? He's looking for a 9mm. Extra cost (barrel and magazines) for nothing. Besides, who needs the Kaboom risk that comes along with the .40 S&W?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Get the glock 23 in .40

Why? He's looking for a 9mm. Extra cost (barrel and magazines) for nothing. Besides, who needs the Kaboom risk that comes along with the .40 S&W?

They hardly ever go kaboom with factory, and even then, its alway "factory remanufactured". Lots of preppers go that switch barrel route so they can shoot what ammo they find, and to have a conventionally rifled 9mm barrel to shoot cast bullets, though I've never had a problem shooting cast through a 9mm Glock factory barrel. YMMV. Don't think about trying that with a 40cal.
I'd roll with the Glock....and personally a 19.

I carry a G17 and skip the reload, but I've gotten some trigger time with the 19 and 26.

If I were to go G26 for the small size, I'd soon be adding +2 mag bottom plate, or mag hook for the little finger. So my advice, after shooting both....cut to the chase, and go 19 up front, and have 15 rounds on tap. Carrying a reload might be optional.

The G19 is about perfect for CCW out of the box. You might want to plus it up with tritium sights (I did on my Glocks).

I carry a 26/27 Gen 3 at times. It works well in a pocket, ankle or belt holster. In a belt holster a G-19 is just as easy to carry. With a mag extension I seem to shoot it almost as well.

Lately, I carry a G-43 more than anything else. I do have some +2 mag extensions for it.
I carry the Springfield XDS 3.3 in 45 acp. Great little pistol for conceal carry.

Pretty much the truth of it whether you like to hear it or not.

G-26/27's really don't carry any better or conceal any easier than a G-19/23........& the bigger gun is FAR easier for MOST people to shoot.

Never had one of the Springfields so I can't comment on it.

I'd get a G-19 & be done with it.

MM
Take a close look at the FNH FNS 9 and you won't want the Glock or the Springfield. The FNS has better ergonomics, totally ambidextrous controls, real metal sights, better price and 3 17 round magazines standard. You also have a choice if you want a model with a safety or without a safety.

http://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fns-series/fns-9/
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Take a close look at the FNH FNS 9 and you won't want the Glock or the Springfield. The FNS has better ergonomics, totally ambidextrous controls, real metal sights, better price and 3 17 round magazines standard. You also have a choice if you want a model with a safety or without a safety.

http://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fns-series/fns-9/
Glocks come with three mags, too.
Lots of good stuff here. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I decide on when the time comes.
If you like a fugged-up grip angle, a slicker grip area and bulged brass, by all means, get a Glock.

If you like the idea of having a carry gun with one of the best feeling and best contoured grips, along with great reliability and brass you can actually reload, get the Mod.2.

I was a Glock owner for years, but when I tried the XD years ago, I left the cult and moved to Springfield. The newer XD Mod.2 is even more of a good thing.
In my case, the only Glock I ever had bulged brass in, was the Glock 20, 10mm, with PMC ammo.

Never been an issue with the 9, 40, or 45.

Grip angle was a little off for me, on my Gen2's. Fixed that with some sanding on the rear hump.

The Gen4 has some grip shape adaptability with the exchangeable backstraps. Not a bad thing.
Lots of good stuff here. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I decide on when the time comes.
Keep in mind also that Glock, being the standard of its type, has tons of accessories made for it, and easily available at reasonable price. A gun like the FNS9, on the other hand, doesn't, and when you can find an accessory (each mag, for example, is about $40.00 vs a Glock mag which is less than half that price), they are typically more expensive. Also, anyone can quickly learn how to fully break down and service a Glock in short order, due to its ingenious simplicity. The FNS9 is more complicated.
I am a total pistol newb(previously just had a 629...) but last December bought a 3.8" XDM, it was sweet so last week I bought a 3" Mod2. Both 9mm.

Shot the little Mod2 yesterday.

IMHO it's ube.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Keep in mind also that Glock, being the standard of its type, has tons of accessories made for it, and easily available at reasonable price. A gun like the FNS9, on the other hand, doesn't, and when you can find an accessory (each mag, for example, is about $40.00 vs a Glock mag which is less than half that price),

The Springer comes with a fair number of quality accessories packed in it's carry case.

Anyone looking for a carry pistol will do themselves a disservice if they buy before trying the Springfield Mod2.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I am a total pistol newb(previously just had a 629...) but last December bought a 3.8" XDM, it was sweet so last week I bought a 3" Mod2. Both 9mm.

Shot the little Mod2 yesterday.

IMHO it's ube.

[Linked Image]

Sweet pic Sammo! How did that fuel tank fair after you used it as a back stop? smile

I like what some are saying about the Mod 2. I'm definitely going to check it out.

OH and how was the trigger pull? I've read it sucks. What are your thoughts?
R7,

I put 3 100 round boxes of hardball through a Mod2 .45 recently. It is far and away the best trigger I have experienced on a striker fired pistol.

I also recently handled a lc9s pro at a local shop. also a very good trigger.

Either one of these beat every glock or kahr that I have tried. The S&W M&Ps aren't too shabby either. I'd try them all if I were you and make an informed decision.
Originally Posted by johnw
R7,

I put 3 100 round boxes of hardball through a Mod2 .45 recently. It is far and away the best trigger I have experienced on a striker fired pistol.

Either one of these beat every glock or kahr that I have tried. The S&W M&Ps aren't too shabby either. I'd try them all if I were you and make an informed decision.

Good to know! Thanks John!
Originally Posted by johnw
R7,

As to the LC9S Pro vs the single stack Glock, I agree completely. Haven't tried the Springfield yet.
I freely admit I'm a Glock slut. There is no handgun that matches the Glock for yanking something out of a hidden holster when the s.hit hits the fan and start shooting. No external safeties or decockers that get confused for safeties for the folks that don't practice near enough but still carry concealed (like my wife). I bought my daughter a G17 for her concealed carry weapon and I bought my wife a G19 for her concealed carry weapon. That was my first time to shoot a G19 and I am very impressed with the shootability of the G19. It was more comfortable to carry AND shoot than the Glock 17. I know it shouldn't be given the dimensions of both pistols, but there ya go. I'm going to have to buy two more G19s; one for me and one for my daughter. Glock, probably by accident, came up with the perfect balance of firepower, shootability and concealability in the G19.
Rooster, trigger pull was fine for me(rookie).

3-4 different types of ammo and it functions fine.

Basically zero practice and it is 'easy' to shoot(if you shoot slowly)....grin.

7-10 yard and under type of deal.
Sam, Have an older XD bought about 2007 it is a .40.. Haven't shot it in a number of years.. But it has never malfunctioned.. Have a couple Glocks also.. For me it is a toss up.. I need to shoot them both the same day.. Some times I wish I had bought the 9 and 45 in XD's, but variety is the spice of life they say..
Rooster, per our txt conv earlier I assumed you were talking XD-S 3.3" (single stack) that's why I was comparing to the G43

I had single stack on the brain, sorry and I hope I didn't confuse you with my comments.
Not at all. I figured you were talking about the XD-S
I just went and fondled a few guns.

Here are my initial impressions of the ones I looked at:

Springer mod.2 (nice)
XDS (pretty nice)
G19 (OK)
G26 (ok sort of)
LCR (Yuck)
J-Frame (Double Yuck)

And then they showed me a S&W M&P Shield Performance edition with the upgraded sights and the ported barrel.

I likey that muches with the Mod.2 a very close second.
I remember an older gentleman behind the counter at our SW telling me how popular the Shield was with men and women (at least in the 9mm). IIRC, he claimed it accounted for about 20% of all 9mm handgun sales...nationwide, I believe.

Got a buddy who is a Sgt. on the local PD. He won a J-frame .38 and gave it to his wife to be her gun. She's a tiny thing and didn't like the recoil or the grip (too long of reach). She tried out a Shield and absolutley loved it...till my buddy stole it for his BUG on duty! Although the other day he tried a G26 and really liked it so His wife may get her Shield back, anyway!

Good luck on whatever you choose...
Anything that left my pinky hanging was ruled out. Granted you can get extended mags but F that.

That Shield was a really sweet gun...
Everyones hands are differnt so handgun choice is 100% personal assuming one is discussing well vetted designs which most here are. Grip angles from model to model is largely a mute point due to removeable backstraps or the ease with which polymer frames can be sanded and stippled per user preference. Same goes for triggers as there are options for most models which will clean up the trigger pull and keep it at a safe and politically correct pull weight for carry.

One must also consider the places they go. If mostly rural or smaller quieter settings where the possibilty of large groups of assailants is less, then I'm happy with the 7-8rds in my Shield or Commander. In urban settings or places with large groups of people i prefer to have 10-15 rds in the gun.

My biggest questions to you would be how are you built and how do you typically dress? Easier to give some advice with these questions answered.

For my own uses a subcompact single stack is a great pocket gun when in shorts or clothes not conducive to traditional belt carry. I am a little leery of the capacity of these pistols for everday ccw but they have there uses. I have S&W Shields in both 9mm and .40 for this.

The double stack subcompacts to me are too bulky for effective pocket carry and only serve this role when i #1 want more rounds and #2 am wearing pants or shorts with cargo pockets. I am not a fan of the 3" barrels types for holster carry as i typically carry IWB and the short barrel tends to try to roll out of my belt line. The short fat grips takes some getting used to as i have large hands. I have M&P compacts in 9 and .40 and a g26 i use in this role.

To me the most comfortable belt carry for me is a compact 4.25" barreled gun. I carry a 1911 Commander a lot and recently bought a g19 for this as well. The slightly longer barrel rides in an IWB holster much better as the extra length helps hold the gun in place. The slightly longer grip also allows me to get a stable firing grip quicker then subcompacts. The Commanders truly are my favorite but capacity can be an issue to me if one spends the majority of time in an urban setting.

I also occasionally carry my Govt. 191q and even my M&P CORES also IWB but prefer a good OWB holster for these as they are more comfortable when sitting.

Due to current events in our world i personally want a minimum of 10 rds in the gun and the 15 rds of the G19 gives me more confidence. I always carry atleast one spare mag with my larger guns and typically 2 for my single stacks. Magazines are truly the weak link for most quality guns.

At the end of the day assuming a quality weapon in a GOOD holster and belt combo can be pretty comfortable all day long. If you use a crappy holster and belt almost any gun will be a burden and get left behind. For my uses holsters start at the mid to upper end Galco, Bianchi etc and intend to prefer custom leather and kydex. For a cheaper belt the double thick Filson at $50 is a good buy, my ccw belts are an older Milt Sparks and one from the beltman.

My overall recommendation for a new guy lookimg to ccw is a G19 with a quality belt and holster. Yes Glocks have some potential small quirks put of the box but they are simple, durable, accurate, easy to maintain and easy to learn and use.

Just my .02 and what works for me.
Thanks M. Addict. That was a well thought out and informative response.

And another vote for the G19.

I hate to be a PIA but what do you think about that M&P Shield performance edition?
Rooster, My 9mm Shield is the performance edition and it is a great little pistol.

My wife is pretty small and has claimed it as her ccw. The only ding is i am not a huge fan of the ported barrels due to increased muzzle flash. Short barrels have a ton of muzzle flash even with the Speer ammo tailored for them, the ports help recoil a fair amount but make it downright blinding in dark enviroments.

My .40 Shield has the Apex DCAEK kit and XS big dot sights. For a carry gun its superb and i plan to get another 9mm and set it up the same.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Rooster, My 9mm Shield is the performance edition and it is a great little pistol.

My wife is pretty small and has claimed it as her ccw. The only ding is i am not a huge fan of the ported barrels due to increased muzzle flash. Short barrels have a ton of muzzle flash even with the Speer ammo tailored for them, the ports help recoil a fair amount but make it downright blinding in dark enviroments.

My .40 Shield has the Apex DCAEK kit and XS big dot sights. For a carry gun its superb and i plan to get another 9mm and set it up the same.

M. Addict, could yo go into the details of these mods? Remember I'm a newb. I know its a trigger and sight mod but details would be cool. smile

PM me if you want
Rooster,

The big dots are sights as you said
Front sight is a big white dot with small tritium insert for night use, the rear is a V-type with a vertical bar. Proper sight picture is the letter "i". They are super fast for defensive uses, but their design gives up some fine accuracy for that speed. This is strictly a carry gun so i will take the speed

As for the Apex Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) it is a drop in trigger kit that greatly smoothens up the trigger pull and reduces take up and over travel without lowering overall weight. I also install the Apex replacement trigger. I personally do not like the feel of the factory trigger pivoting at the lower half to release the safety. The Apex replacement is a bit straighter making it feel lighter then it truly is and easier for me easier to pull straight back but most importantly to me uses a center pivot trigger lever like a glock.

Any man that can understand a simple video, run a hammer with punch and understand that the M&P pins go left to right can do this easily in a half hour max and have an immeasurably better trigger.

I do not worry about modifying triggers as long as they dont defeat factory safety features and they leave the pull weight essentially stock. The loss of safety features can be an issue with several aftermarket Glock triggers but not as much with M&P's.

From my research a good shoot is a good shoot reguardless of weapon used. I do not make my carry triggers much lower then stock weight but fake every advantage to polish or tweak for pull quality as i feel its easily explainable in court as preference, same as sights and grip mods.
Get a Glock 19...unless you want an ankle holster ( you don't), there is no place you can hide a G26 that you can't hide a G19. The G19 has 50 % more capacity, a longer barrel ( more velocity ), and will be easier to shoot accurately.
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
Get a Glock 19...unless you want an ankle holster ( you don't), there is no place you can hide a G26 that you can't hide a G19. The G19 has 50 % more capacity, a longer barrel ( more velocity ), and will be easier to shoot accurately.
Agreed. And by the same reasoning, might as well get a 17. LOL. Seriously, though. The 17 is just a fraction of an inch longer in slide and grip, but that little improvement significantly increases shootability. Does for me, anyway. And carries just as well as the 19, IMO.
© 24hourcampfire