Home
Can anyone recommend the best gunsmiths for Ruger DA revolvers ?

Thanks
Hamilton Bowen & Dave Clements are the ones I've always used.
Have not yet felt justified in the expense of a custom gunsmith for myself, but the two mentioned would be at the top of my list when/if I did.
Ben Forkin is pretty good too.
What are you thinking about having done?
I bought a custom Ruger directly from Bowen. It really didn't have much custom done, but it was what I wanted, so I treated myself. Other than the fact it was now a 2 round revolver, it was a nice piece...

Not sure about Clements, but it was obvious to me that Hamilton isn't working on everything that comes from his shop. I can understand that, but quality control would be nice. He decided to just take it back, but wasn't very nice about that matter, as if it were my fault. It kinda spoiled me on custom anything.

Unless you're changing calibers, I recommend living with factory guns and spending the extra cash on ammo, trips, etc.
Never used any of them, but Gary Reeder has some nice stuff on his site.
Alan Harton in Houston though I am not sure if he is taking on work given his backlog. I have many custom revolvers that he has done for me. All flawlessly done with a couple being pretty complicated builds.
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Never used any of them, but Gary Reeder has some nice stuff on his site.

My understanding is that Reeder guns do NOT go up in value. I don't like all the "extras" he does to them. I'd pass on him.
I am the ashamed (because I didn't do my research) owner of a brand new, unfired, Gary Reeder single action revolver in S&W 500 Magnum. I have been trying to sell it for over a year. It went through 3 months of constant re-listings on Gunbroker. I work in a gun shop. The owner has my revolver front and center in his gun case, and it's on his web page. I think in the last 8 months 3 people have asked to hold it. No interest - none - zero - nada.

But, I'll cut it up with and oxygen/acetylene rig before I let anyone low-ball me for it. I'm already asking $500.00 less than I paid. I won't go any lower.

This is a warning to those who are thinking of having a full custom revolver made by a master gunsmith - avoid Gary Reeder; Go with Hamilton Bowen. Only downside to Hamilton Bowen is there is a 3-year wait to get your firearm.
Depends on what you want done.

Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, does a great job of tuning revolvers and they are both quick and inexpensive.

If I have a revolver that I've bought to shoot, rather than as a collectible, I almost always have Ahlman's do their smooth/tune and forcing cone jobs.

www.ahlmans.com
I had David Clements convert a GP100 to 10mm and give it an action job and some other stuff and am very happy with it. It took right at a year but it was worth it to me.
Want a GP 100 slicked up, and combat sites installed....should require a bit of milling I'd think.
Buy the Wiley Clapp GP100 that Ruger makes, put in a set of Wolff springs and you'll be set.
Magnaport does wonderful action jobs on DA rugers. I'd add Jack Huntington to the list for top Ruger smiths and it's worth noting he is work is not only top drawer but reasonably priced and his turn arounds are typically pretty reasonable to boot.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Buy the Wiley Clapp GP100 that Ruger makes, put in a set of Wolff springs and you'll be set.

This. You'll be miles ahead.

But if you still want to work with the one you've got, I'd use David Clements for what you want.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/gp100.html

Dave Clements did a great job on my GP100, converted from 357 to 10mm.
Ronnie
I wonder if Dave Clements can convert my Reeder handgun to one that would sell?
Gary Reeder Bisley conversion. Atrocious...

[Linked Image]
No personal experience; but heard good things about John Gallagher

John Gallagher - Gallagher Firearms Inc.
(205)384-5229
3923 Bird Farm Road
Jasper, Alabama 35503
[email protected]
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Ed, Let me guess; "The Black Widow"?

Are you being facetious or are you serious?
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Biker gangs need bear guns too wink
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Ed, Let me guess; "The Black Widow"?

Are you being facetious or are you serious?

Looking at some of the really elegant customs Ed has posted here, I'd say he's dead serious. This thing looks like something you'd win at the carnival.
I was thinking it has a red plastic tip on the muzzle.
I am not talking about the chicken scratch. Look at the wonderful blending of the Bisley grip frame to the cylinder frame. Properly done, that should be a nice radius.
5 shot 45 Colt by Alan Harton,
[Linked Image]
OM Blackhawk converted to 44 special by Ben Forkin,
[Linked Image]
Ronnie
Andy Horvath "little Ruger" OM 357 converted to 41 special,
[Linked Image]
Ronnie
Some of my favorite Harton pieces.

A 41 Special Single Six. A couple of the boys at the hog hunt rang it out on beer cans at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

A 44 Special built on an Old Model 357. The first he did for me twelve years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An Old Model 44 Mag Bisley.

[Linked Image]

A 38 WCF Highway Patrolman.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A 38 WCF built on an old Flattop 357.

[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/Guns2011017.jpg[/img]
Nice collection! I like the Harton 41 special, I had him make mine with a Birdshead,
[Linked Image]
Ronnie
Smith and Wesson 586, 41 special by Hamilton Bowen,
[Linked Image]
Ronnie
Ed,

You need to store that Reeder "Black Widow" away from those other beautiful guns.

Forty one. Lemme guess...you like the .41 Magnum? My dad did too. I inherited his favorite gun. He was a do-it-yourself collector of older surplus rifles. He had probably a dozen of them he restored. A Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel in .41 Magnum was his favorite gun. He'd sit in his chair and point it at the TV, then he'd point it outside, then he'd continue to wipe it down with a silicone cloth. I bet he only shot a cylinder or two out of it. It stays in my gun safe. I haven't decided which of my kids will get it. I also got his carry gun that he took everywhere with him. It's a French pistol, Modele 1935 A, that looks like they "borrowed" a lot of the 1911 design. It shoots S&W 32 Longs. I've only found one place that sells them, and they were $50.00 for 20 of them 20 years ago when I bought him a box.
I used Clements for a couple of Ruger trigger jobs. Very happy with the results. Would use him again in a heartbeat. Think his turnaround time was 6 weeks.
Jack Huntington has done work for me in the past. Top notch at a fair price.
Ed,

You need to store that Reeder "Black Widow" away from those other beautiful guns.

Trust me, the Reeder does not belong to me...
Though now retired, Jim Stroh did exceptional work.

[Linked Image]

And, of course, Bowen with this 500 Linebaugh.

[Linked Image]

Or 44 Special.

[Linked Image]

Even little known, in the sixgun world, Larry Crow with this 5 shot 45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

Many great builders out there, you just need to get in line.
i use jack huntington
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Andy Horvath "little Ruger" OM 357 converted to 41 special,
[Linked Image]
Ronnie

I've been wanting to do one of these in .45ACP for years. Did Andy do the grips too?
Yes Andy does the whole package, a 45 acp would be a handy little Ruger.
Ronnie
Great, thanks!
Originally Posted by EdM
Ed,

To my everlasting shame I do own one. I haven't had a custom handgun built since 1991. It was a custom Para Ordnance P-14. After that I concentrated my custom builds on rifles. The Reeder gun I bought was an impulse buy. I think eventually I'll end up tying a rope to it and using it as an anchor when I go fishing.
Reeder is a hack. His guns are way overpolished, as if by an angry 800lb gorilla. His attention to detail is non-existent. As is any sense of taste. His guns are cheaper because there are things other gunsmiths do in their conversions that he does not, such as lineboring and blocking the action on his five shots. His so called-engraving is often misplaced, misaligned or has no flow to it. Often the depth is uneven from one section to the next. He takes a stencil, puts it where he wants and goes to it.
Originally Posted by EdM
Ed,

To my everlasting shame I do own one. I haven't had a custom handgun built since 1991. It was a custom Para Ordnance P-14. After that I concentrated my custom builds on rifles. The Reeder gun I bought was an impulse buy. I think eventually I'll end up tying a rope to it and using it as an anchor when I go fishing.

Well...you had to have that 500 S&W...now...you have it
© 24hourcampfire