Home
Posted By: MadMooner S&W Model 15? - 08/24/16
Someone had just posted one here that looked awful nice. Kinda threw a craving on me. Lol.

Happened by a local shop yesterday, and lo and be hold, there was a pretty one sitting in the case. I'm not much of a handgun guy and know little about Smiths.

What is a good price?

It is marked as a 15-6. 4" bbl. Bluing looks good. No holster wear or other marks on the metal. Light ring around the cylinder. Wood S&W stocks (they looked a little thick but fit very well?) had some small dings but overall in good shape.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/24/16
You'd be hard pressed to find a nice one for under $450.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/24/16
Thanks.

Been looking through Gunbroker and they are all over the map but haven't seen much, if any, south of $450 for sure.

You saw the one I posted the other day, it was more than $450.
15-6 late 80's through mid 90's.
Solid years or hold out for an earlier model?
And yes, it was yours. Just went back and found it.

That is a good looking handgun.
Would bother me, I'm not quite the 'snob' on years. I do like them before the internal locks and MIM parts.

People will pay more for older/pinned etc guns.

How much are they asking?
$500

It'll be $550 when the state gets it cut.
If it's in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/24/16
a guy on a local forum has what he calls a smith & wesson model "D" for sale, three sets of grips, none original, 2inch. For 500bucks.
it's really a K frame model 19, if that gives you any comparison.
he hasn't sold it yet.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
a guy on a local forum has what he calls a smith & wesson model "D" for sale, three sets of grips, none original, 2inch. For 500bucks.
he hasn't sold it yet.

Hah. Not really Ron.

I don't follow whats what in S&W land. Just really liked the classic look of that Model 15 SH had posted, then ran into one at the shop. Just don't know if I'd be better off looking elsewhere for a better deal or if the -6 means it would be a less desirable to the extent I wouldn't get the money back out of it if I decide to move it down the road.

Thanks though!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/24/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner
he hasn't sold it yet.

Hah. Not really Ron.

I don't follow whats what in S&W land. Just really liked the classic look of that Model 15 SH had posted, then ran into one at the shop. Just don't know if I'd be better off looking elsewhere for a better deal or if the -6 means it would be a less desirable to the extent I wouldn't get the money back out of it if I decide to move it down the road.

Thanks though!
The 6 would be from the era where they had done away with recessed chambers and pinned barrels, most likely. This makes it less desirable than the earlier models which were thought to have better workmanship besides those two features. It would be more desirable than the current MIM models and those with the Clinton lock. The 15 was made in such quantities that collectors would only want and absolutely pristine gun, which is not what you describe.

Steelhead has bought several S&W's lately and probably knows the market. The "market" is difficult to gauge since there are essentially now two of them, the national market including Gunbroker, where people buy them online and the local market including gunshows and local shops. The two overlap but are not always the same.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
he hasn't sold it yet.

Hah. Not really Ron.

Thanks though!
The 6 would be from the era where they had done away with recessed chambers and pinned barrels, most likely. This makes it less desirable than the earlier models which were thought to have better workmanship besides those two features. It would be more desirable than the current MIM models and those with the Clinton lock. The 15 was made in such quantities that collectors would only want and absolutely pristine gun, which is not what you describe.

Steelhead has bought several S&W's lately and probably knows the market. The "market" is difficult to gauge since there are essentially now two of them, the national market including Gunbroker, where people buy them online and the local market including gunshows and local shops. The two overlap but are not always the same.

Model 15's NEVER had recessed cylinders, regardless of the dash.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/24/16
I would snag it at that price. I have a Model 15-7. It shoots great and is easy to hit with. I even carry it concealed some times.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

IME recessed cylinders look cool and are OK for a fun gun but I pass on them for serious work. YMMV
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

IME recessed cylinders look cool and are OK for a fun gun but I pass on them for serious work. YMMV

Define serious? Okay, you take the Model 15 without the recessed cylinders, and I'll take it's brother the Model 19 with recessed cylinders. Then we'll see what's serious.

Don
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by USSR1991

Define serious? Okay, you take the Model 15 without the recessed cylinders, and I'll take it's brother the Model 19 with recessed cylinders. Then we'll see what's serious.

Don

Define serious. Okay, you take the Model 19 with recessed cylinders and I'll take my PC627 without recessed cylinders and 8 shot moon clips.

Gee, wasn't that fun.
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/25/16

Don

Define serious. Okay, you take the Model 19 with recessed cylinders and I'll take my PC627 without recessed cylinders and 8 shot moon clips.

Gee, wasn't that fun.

Only fun for you if you need more than 6 rounds. Personally, I shoot regularly and business is taken care of well before 6 rounds.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/25/16

Don

Gee, wasn't that fun.

Only fun for you if you need more than 6 rounds. Personally, I shoot regularly and business is taken care of well before 6 rounds.

How many gunfights have you been in?
I have a pinned & recessed M-65. If I'm shooting lead bullets after about 24 rounds it gets a bit difficult to get the rounds chambered deep enough. I've never had a problem with my non-recessed Smiths. I haven't had a problem so far with jacketed bullets.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/25/16

Don

Gee, wasn't that fun.

You can always tell a Yankee, you just can't tell them much. Here's hoping one does it for you in a dark bedroom after a 5th of Scotch.
Back when the 357 was the king of police handguns a local cop shot a guy 5 or 6 times and he kept coming at him holding a metal pipe. Of course the family of the perp (a white guy) said he shouldn't have been shot so many times. Even if you hit them every shot in the kill zone doesn't mean they will stop soon enough.
Before my Air Guard unit was issued Berettas the M-15 was our assigned weapon. I really liked the M-15. We shot double action to qualify.
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/26/16

Don

Gee, wasn't that fun.

You can always tell a Yankee, you just can't tell them much. Here's hoping one does it for you in a dark bedroom after a 5th of Scotch.

You can always tell a redneck, dumb as a rock.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/26/16
We ain't all smart enough to live in states that suck Obama cock and Hillary slit.

Think I'll go mail order 10,000 rounds to my house and shoot them off my back deck in 40 round magazines.
Posted By: milespatton Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/26/16
Hell, I ain't even smart enough to know what Y'all are talking about with recessed cylinders. miles
Posted By: Bugger Re: S&W Model 15? - 08/26/16
A few years ago there were Model 15's on the used market (police trade-ins) and a fellow could pick them up fairly cheap for a while. I bought one in Prescott for about half of what they are worth now. Some of those trade-ins were modified to double action only. Mine wasn't however. That revolver is almost a twin to a Model 19. I really like those 15's and I don't give a hoot about collector value as mine will never be sold while I'm alive. As far as recessed cylinders go, I'd avoid them, at leas in 29's. I've owned two and I've sold them. The first one, I lost money on and the second I made up for it. However, if you want a revolver for your safe the recessed cylinder models may be the way to go. -- Not for me though.

The early S&W's were weaker. Maybe not an issue with less than 44 mag though.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/10/17
So I passed on the one I mentioned in the OP but just found one today that I had to take home.

Its a 15-4 I believe. Pinned barrel. Much better condition than the one in the OP. You'd have to look pretty hard to find any marks at all. Looks new.

Pretty stoked. I'll try to post a couple pics in a bit.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/10/17
15's and 10's are kinda on my radar, since I live in an area where people give them up to pawn shops fairly frequently.

Seen quite a few of them over the last 6 mos.

They're kinda growing on me.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/10/17
I bought a used one in classifieds for 270.00. It's stupid accurate for a 4 inch barrel. I give the 15s high marks.
Posted By: tmitch Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/10/17
LGS had passels of police trade-ins a "few" years ago for $180 each. I picked out a nice one with a pinned barrel and target hammer and still have it. Funny thing, it's marked "Mod-10" on the frame. Probably makes it more valuable? crazy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Picked up a cheap box of Win 150grn target loads.

Any suggestions on a 160ish grn WFN type cast bullet? Load?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...266&zenid=3gl6jlf00gd6gjbfhlj6q3ap54

Great bullets, not too hard. I load them with 4.5grs of Unique.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
Oh, your Model 15 is nice. They really are sweet guns. Likely my favorite Smith.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
A friend of my Dad's was a USN pilot during WWII and carried a M10, which he had or had a version of. His primary handgun was a M15 though, then he later got a M64. They are very good guns. He willed me his M28. I don't think it had ever been shot until I did.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...266&zenid=3gl6jlf00gd6gjbfhlj6q3ap54

Great bullets, not too hard. I load them with 4.5grs of Unique.

Perfect.
Thanks.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
Nice one, MM. Great pickup.
Posted By: 4ager Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice!

Consider the 158 LSWCHP. They just flat work and they'd be "appropriate" for that Smith.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
Thanks!

I just ordered a 100 from Matts to try. I prefer the WFN/LFN style of bullets.

Posted By: g5m Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/11/17
Thanks.

Been looking through Gunbroker and they are all over the map but haven't seen much, if any, south of $450 for sure.

There's a nice one locally at $500. Seemed a little steep to me but I don't think I've kept up with the market.

MM, care to share what yours ran? It looks great.
Posted By: g5m Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/17/17
'Model 15 '. They really are sweet guns. Likely my favorite Smith.

They really are nice.
Posted By: shootem Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/17/17
Everybody needs at least one. Mooner you done good. That was my first centerfire. Daddy bought it for me when I was 19. If you'd like to load some fun stuff to shoot try the plated DEWC 148gr. Clean and make nice cookie cutter holes. And if you ever need to show somebody how much fun it is to shoot a pistol you have the perfect, perfect tool. Have fun.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: S&W Model 15? - 01/17/17
MadMooner: Good for you on that nifty pistol coming home with you.
I picked up a gently used Model 15-3 a couple years ago and it shoots wadcutters VERY well indeed.
I have not tried "full house" loads in it as yet.
Did shoot the head off of a Grouse last fall with it.
Mine is not quite as nice as yours appears to be - again good for you.
Patience is a virtue sometimes.
Hold into the wind
Varmintguy
© 24hourcampfire