Home
I load a bunch of medium loads in 9mm, .38 Special, .357, .44 Special/Magnum and .45 ACP/Colt. Need to replenish the powder magazine and wonder if there is anything better than my old standby Unique. I use mostly hand cast lead.

Power Pistol burns much cleaner and close to same burn rate
Better for more limited applications, or more versatile?

I don't think you'll find a more versatile powder, but there are many that will work a bit better for a given chambering.

The other thing is accuracy. I have found Unique to produce some of my most accurate handgun loads, accurate as in one ragged hole at 25 yds for guns that are capable.
Most versatile. I have too many different powders as it is.
I doubt any powder is more versatile then Unique.

Originally Posted by KyWindageII
...medium loads in 9mm, .38 Special, .357, .44 Special/Magnum and .45 ACP/Colt.

The Hodgdon reloading site publishes data for all those rounds using Titegroup.

Is Titegroup better than Unique? I have no idea. I like it well enough. You don't use very much, so you get more rounds loaded per pound of powder. Try a pound and see what you think.

Cartridges that Alliant shows load data

10mm Auto

32 Auto

327 Federal Magnum

357 Magnum

357 Sig.

38 Special

38 Special +P

380 Auto

40 S&W

44 Rem. Magnum

44 S&W Special

45 Colt

45 Auto

45 G.A.P

454 Casull

460 S&W Magnum

480 Ruger

500 S&W Magnum

9mm Luger

32-20 Win. (Cowboy Action)

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=8

In my opinion Power Pistol can do snything Unique can and do it cleaner.
I load a bunch of medium loads in 9mm, .38 Special, .357, .44 Special/Magnum and .45 ACP/Colt. Need to replenish the powder magazine and wonder if there is anything better than my old standby Unique. I use mostly hand cast lead.

I switched to Universal 20 years ago and I've used it in all your listed applications except 9mm- and then only because I don't own one. I also use it in the 40 S&W and I've gotten good accuracy and velocities, with both cast and jacketed bullets, in every handgun cartridge I've tried it in. Universal is an excellent powder and I'll use it as long as it's available.
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I switched to Universal 20 years ago and I've used it in all your listed applications except 9mm- and then only because I don't own one. I also use it in the 40 S&W and I've gotten good accuracy and velocities, with both cast and jacketed bullets, in every handgun cartridge I've tried it in. Universal is an excellent powder and I'll use it as long as it's available.

Fully agree. Universal has replaced Unique for me. That said, I am a huge fan of TiteGroup.
I've used Unique for over 40 years. Tried a lot of other powders during that time, but I still have a can of Unique on the shelf. Several powders have proved very useful for certain cartridge/bullet combinations, but none with the same versatility.
Power Pistol comes closer than anything IMO.

But there are a lot of pistol cartridges I don't load for and I don't load shotgun at all.

Dave
"Better" is a bit subjective.

Finding something in place of it is not hard.

Universal, CFE Pistol, TiteGroup, Herco and others will most certainly fill the bill; might not be as good in some, perhaps better in others, but are close on the burn chart.

Bullseye seems to have far greater reach than even Unique if judged in the realm of popular handgun cartridges; it also requires a bit more attention when loading.
Originally Posted by jwp475

+1. I keep Unique around for some "unique" purposes; like reduced and cast-bullet loads in rifles. I've replaced it with Power Pistol for all my mid-range revolver loadings.
Along with Unique, I use a lot of AA#5 and HS-6. They are just a little slower, and will work well for the cartridges you listed.

Don
I switched to Universal decades ago and was very happy until the jug went dry just when there was none of the stuff to be found anywhere. Fire at the factory, shipping limits imposed by New Zealand, Obama panic, whatever - I couldn't find any. Switched to Power Pistol and like it just as well as long as shotguns aren't in the mix.
Having tried dang near everything in the last 20 years, I hit on an outside the box option a few years ago and it has now become my No 1 most used pistol powder for 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Special, 44 Mag, and 45 Auto loads.

Its Ramshot True Blue. It flows through a powder measure better (more consistently) than anything I've ever seen. Burns clean, delivers nice velocity, best/lowest velocity spreads (single digits), doesn't seem to be position sensitve, can run with standard primers, and is useful from mild loads to full power (speed) in everything except the magnums. In those it will still give within 50-100 fps of what the true slow burners (296, H110, 200, No.9) give in 6" or under barrels. True Blue does excellent with both jacketed and cast bullets, and even downloads well in low pressure 38 Special and 44 Special loads. It doesn't appear to have unusual pressure spikes either when working up loads. Good to great accuracy too.

From a versatility standpoint, Unique wins if you consider there is shotgun and some old reduced rifle data, but if we are talking strictly handgun loads, True Blue is WAY better in all combinations!!!

Ping me if you would like to see some of my extensive test results.

By the way Power Pistol is pretty good, better than Unique, but is has a LOT of flash in case that matters to you.

Mark in GA
I still load or have loaded for all the cartridges you mentioned. I'm not looking for a universal powder, just the most accurate in each caliber. I'd feel incomplete if I didn't have at least one container of Power Pistol, Bullseye, Titegroup HS-6 and H110. Unique is the most versatile and has shown good to great accuracy in some applications, surprisingly though, not for my FA 97 44 Special.
Universal and WSF both are excellent direct substitutes for Unique. The discontinued SR7625 is as well; all three powders meter better than Unique and can be used for all of the same loads.

Power Pistol is a great powder and works in a lot of applications, but is not a direct substitute for Unique. Burn rate and performance is a little different, and it does make more flash.
Originally Posted by deflave
Power Pistol comes closer than anything IMO.

But there are a lot of pistol cartridges I don't load for and I don't load shotgun at all.

Dave

BE-86

It is the "new and improved Power Pistol". Burn rate is between Unique and Power pistol, right there where Universal is.

Lights up very well. It is a Bullseye Formulation. Bullseye is BE-84. Was a OEM powder for Federal and others years before it was offered as a canister powder for the general public. Meters well.

I have tried it. I like it.

But. A big but. Alliant's load data sucks.

Gibby, is BE-86 a flake powder?
I load about 90% TiteGroup and Universal, and have been doing it for over a decade. The remainder of my loading for pistols and PCR's is H110.

Overall, I like Titegroup for being clean burning and efficient. I use less powder to get the same bang as Unique. What does not get Titegroup gets Universal. It's much cleaner than Unique.
Unique vs AA5: I like the way the AA pistol powders burn so clean. I also like the way the meter, way more consistent in any of my three powder measures. I use AA 5, 7, and 9. All have worked well for me. Better? For me yes, for you...
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

It is hard to tell. If it is, they are very small. More like a ball powder that has been flattened more than usual. Black in color. It might be the flash suppressant coating.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Unique vs AA5: I like the way the AA pistol powders burn so clean. I also like the way the meter, way more consistent in any of my three powder measures. I use AA 5, 7, and 9. All have worked well for me. Better? For me yes, for you...

AA5 is the ball powder equivalent of Unique (not in burn rate). But clean. Very versatile from starting loads to max loads. Their data is second to none. I use a lot of it.
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

It is hard to tell. If it is, they are very small. More like a ball powder that has been flattened more than usual. Black in color. It might be the flash suppressant coating.

OK, thanks. I see it is available locally (3rd Gen), I just might drive out to El Reno and pick up a lb. to try.
One very good quality I like is it's ignitability. The BE formulation.

Works well with small cases with taper crimps and short bullets like .380 and 9mm.

No heavy "bullet pull" needed. That is good in those small cases since the primer is powerful enough to expand the brass and release the bullet quickly. Some powders need more resistance in the beginning.
I still use unique but I also use Accurate #5, Power Pistol and CFE-P. They meter a lot better in my powder measure. The nick name for unique is flaming dirt. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I still use unique but I also use Accurate #5, Power Pistol and CFE-P. They meter a lot better in my powder measure. The nick name for unique is flaming dirt. Hasbeen

I have call it Kingsford. I still like it.
Originally Posted by Gibby

AA5 is the ball powder equivalent of Unique (not in burn rate). But clean. Very versatile from starting loads to max loads. Their data is second to none. I use a lot of it.

I like AA powders too, but suggest WSF may be the closest ball powder equivalent to Unique you'll find. There isn't much load data published for it, but velocity in 9mm, .40, and .45 all match Unique grain for grain in every load I've tested, to the point I'm comfortable starting with Unique data for WSF when working up a new load.

WSF and AA5 may be very similar though - I don't know. I use lots of #7 and #9 but haven't used much #5.

Cartridges that Alliant shows load data

10mm Auto

32 Auto

327 Federal Magnum

357 Magnum

357 Sig.

38 Special

38 Special +P

380 Auto

40 S&W

44 Rem. Magnum

44 S&W Special

45 Colt

45 Auto

45 G.A.P

454 Casull

460 S&W Magnum

480 Ruger

500 S&W Magnum

9mm Luger

32-20 Win. (Cowboy Action)

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=8

In my opinion Power Pistol can do snything Unique can and do it cleaner.

I agree with this 100%, bought a 1 lb jug of power pistol to try in my wife's 380 as I was not having a good results with unique. So far I really like what I am experiencing with power pistol. When my 8 lb jug of unique is gone not buying any more. I have also heard good things about be-86 but have not found any to try .
In all fairness, the latest version of Unique is reported to be cleaner, etc.
But, for overall versitility, Ramshot's True Blue does it all. Ramshot show very mild Cowboy Action loads at between 600-700 fps with the standard CAS cartriages. It is the recommended powder for the 5.7X28 which can go critical very easily, and it does a good job with almost anything else. As has been said, it won't replace H110 or WW296. But it does get close.
I've used it in the 5.7X28, the .357 magnum, the .44 Magnum and the .45 ACP. Never had any grips. E
Thanks for all of the replies. I get best accuracy in the .45 ACP with AA5. The 44special perks with 7.5 grs. Universal, the .44 Magnum with 8.8 grs. Power Pistol and the 45 Colt and .357 Magnum need 2400 for best accuracy.

I haven't found Universal to be as versatile as Unique and since I use a bunch in cast bullet loads I guess it will remain my goto.
I have tried many, (Power Pistol, Universal, WST, Titegroup, and others) Unique is a bit dirty, but I still have some and use it regularly. Others are perhaps a bit better in some loading's but overall Unique is indeed Unique.
Unique burns dirty when using powder puff loads. But IMHO when loaded up where it should be, the loads clean up and the groups tighten up. I think it needs to be run at 20-30 kpsi to do it's thing, but it does it's thing very well. And I don't think there is a more versatile powder out there. If it hadn't been unavailable when I stocked up I'd have 32#'s of unique, instead I have 32#'s of Universal.
I have used Universal and Unique in my .38 special and .45 LC loads. Both powders are accurate in my 2 Ruger revolvers. I tried Universal as I got tired of the soot that Unique does to my guns,but the recoil of the Unique is less, seems smoother. The Universal is cleaner burning.

Not sure which I will go back to when I run out. Could try something different as I have used Unique since 1979.

This.

Very flexible & versatile powder & my most used.

MM
Unique is popular with uneducated noobs and nursing home escapees.
No. Cleaner maybe, but no better.
No.
Cleaner maybe, but no better.
The newer powders measure better, burn cleaner, and are more versatile.

Aside from that, I don't see that it makes much difference in sending lead downrange.

That is my experience, too. It is all I use in .44 Special loads for my 696.
I just loaded 250 rounds of 10mm with Power Pistol.
Commenting about the cleanliness or uncleanliness of a powder without mentioning the accuracy obtained with said powder, shows you are nothing more than a neat freak who just happens to like to shoot. I'll take a dirty burning powder that give me excellent accuracy over a clean burning powder that exhibits so-so accuracy any day. Just MHO.

Don
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Commenting about the cleanliness or uncleanliness of a powder without mentioning the accuracy obtained with said powder, shows you are nothing more than a neat freak who just happens to like to shoot. I'll take a dirty burning powder that give me excellent accuracy over a clean burning powder that exhibits so-so accuracy any day. Just MHO.

Don

Accuracy in my 696 is superb and far out classes any of my other handguns other than my contender. It is also available. I haven't seen any Unique in almost 2 years. Velocity with all bullets from 180 gr. XTP's up to 255 gr. Keith-type has been spot on.
Originally Posted by USSR1991

Don

Agreed. I've shot groups at 100 yds with a revolver that were just a tad over MOA, and I was burning Unique.

I've used Unique in 9mm, 38 sp, 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 acp, 45 colt and 480 Ruger and used with an appropriate weight bullet and an appropriate charge accuracy has been as good as or better than any other powder.

I've also used it for cast bullet loads in the .308, 35 whelen and 500 Jeffery.

As my boss once said when being asked about cleaning guns, "I don't mind cleaning guns, cleaning guns means I've shot them, and I like shooting guns."
Power Pistol delivers better accuracy than Unique plus it is cleaner. If you give the two an honest comparison, Power Pistol will beat Unique every time.
saleen322,

There is no one powder that will CONSISTENTLY deliver the most accuracy over another powder with every firearm it is used in. Otherwise, load development would be totally unnecessary.

Don
I was in Cabelas in Anchorage yesterday and they had so much powder it reminded of "way back when". This was the first supply of Unique I have seen in forever. They had all the usual suspects plus a full stock of Norma powder.

Unfortunately all I had money for was what I REALLY needed, IMR4350, so Unique and PowerPistol both were left sitting on the shelf.
© 24hourcampfire