Home
Well, I liked my new S&W 629-4 5" 44Mag so well I decided to pull the plug on a 686-4 6" 357Mag. My first handgun ever was a 686 6" 357 Mag and I should've never sold it. I thought this would be a good option for my son to use with 38 Specials when we're at the range banging steel in the pistol bays and, down the road, it might also be a good option for him to carry during deer season. I'm excited to get and shoot this handgun and see how my son likes/shoots it as well!! cool

Let's see and hear about your 357 Mags too!!

For those in the know.....will there be any issues shooting 38 Spcl most of the time and then switching over to the 357 Mag??

Here's a pic:

[Linked Image]

Just scrub it good.
Looks exactly like mine. Just clean/scrub the cylinder after a .38 spcl session to get out the 38 "ring".
what a great revolver. Years of fun with that one. smile
Smith model 13 3" barrel
[Linked Image]
Started out shooting a Model 19 in 1970 when I was 18 years old...put 20K rounds through it in 10 years before selling it. Have not really been a big .357 fan since starting to shoot .44s and later .41s....but I have accumulated a few over the last 15 years...

A few years ago I was on the S&W Forums when I just happened to make a comment about someones 5" pre-27 just saying I would like to find one like that made in the early 50s... A few days later got a PM asking if I would be interested in a 6" made in 1952...my birth year. Thought about it and was going to turn it down wanting to wait for a 5" when the guy said he had a S&W letter dating the gun to shipping on May 21st...my birthday... My only question left was "How much is the postage?"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Came with the original serial numbered to the gun Magna grips. But I wanted some Targets to go along with it and lucked into a guy selling a set that came off a 1950 vintage pre-24 .44 Special. In my research was told that the factory for some reason didn't offer Target grips as a factory option on pre-27s till about 1956....but if it had this would have been the style that would have come on them.

The next issue was to find a period holster. The gun had been shipped to the George Lawrence Company who made the famous Lawrence Holster line.

[Linked Image]

Took several years and a lot of looking on eBay and GunBroker but finally found a Lawrence 120 Keith holster that was BRAND NEW in the original package...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What are the chances of finding a gun having been shipped on the day you were born in one of the rarer barrel lengths and then a holster by the company it was shipped to designed by your favorite gunwriter who you once met and have signed copies of two of his books...

...and it turns out I like the balance of the 6" better than the 5" guns I had owned before...

Bob

Originally Posted by hikerbum
Smith model 13 3" barrel
[Linked Image]

I like that holster. I want for a 4 inch Service Six. I will have to go to gun shows and search.
My 66-0.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RJM
he had a S&W letter dating the gun to shipping on May 21st...my birthday... My only question left was "How much is the postage?"

That would be very cool to have!!
Smith model 13 3" barrel
[Linked Image]

I'm normally into "hunting" length barrels but Mannlicher just posted some pics of his new 3" S&W and these look like a REALLY nice option for a hiking/canoeing gun!!

Having a 6" gun, I wouldn't feel the need for a 4" barrel but that 3" is just short enough I could see having one of each!
One of my favorite calibers. Just bought a GP 4"!!! Great pistol.
Model 66 and model 60. The mod 60 has been my every day carry lately

[Linked Image]

Wood grips also

[Linked Image]
Seems like I've ended up with more 357's than any other handgun round. My wife has a four inch S&W 66 and I have a Ruger Bisley 357, Herters Powermag 357 and this 357 Magnum Maximum. Trying to talk a buddy out of his Dan Wesson four barrel set but it hasn't happened yet.

[Linked Image]
Ruger GP-100 Wiley Clapp, 3" barrel.

This is my hunting companion and sometimes winter carry gun.

[Linked Image]

Dan
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
Model 66 and model 60. The mod 60 has been my every day carry lately

[Linked Image]

Love those grips!!
Originally Posted by Dantheman

[Linked Image]

Dan

What do you hunt in a Prius??? laugh
Originally Posted by Nebraska

[Linked Image]

Dan

What do you hunt in a Prius??? laugh

LOL...no. We just bought a used one for the Mrs. The brochure was on the table. Thought it'd be good for a laugh.

I told her if she put an NRA sticker on the back of the Prius than I'd get a bumper sticker for my Titan that said "My other vehicle is a Prius".

It's a nice car but not my cup of tea. She's happy and that's all that matters.

Dan
I shoot a S&W 386 Mountain Lite and 386PD. Both very light scandium guns. The Mountain stays on the belt of my back country pack and the PD rides around town. I really like them both with 38 +P. They are a chore with heavier loads, especially the 180gr hardcast.
My .357's come in two flavors and I like them both.

[Linked Image]
M19...

[Linked Image]
I thought handguns were banned in Australia... wink
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

LOL!!

I picked up a 77/44 to go along with my 629 and like the idea of one to match the 686 too.....
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

You can tell that pictures comes from the wrong side of the Equator...the trees grow in the wrong direction...

Bob

[Linked Image]

Dan

Love the 3" verson, and the Wiley Clapp editions are always well though out. Your application is exactly how I would use such a set up.
[Linked Image]
5" 27-2

[Linked Image]
My 2 357's, a Ruger Blackhawk that my dad got back in the 60's, still unconverted and an old S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman. Great revolvers!

[Linked Image]
Some of the 357 Mags I own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oops. grin

[Linked Image]

And a Maxi.

[Linked Image]

Classy
[Linked Image]

What's not to like about a 357. They have a lot of uses. Hasbeen

Originally Posted by EdM
Some of the 357 Mags I own.

[Linked Image]

That is one of the best looking 357s I've ever seen!!!
[Linked Image]

M27 no dash 8 3/8" My first S&W .357

[Linked Image]

Model 28-2 4" One of several M28's I've owned over the years.

[Linked Image]

Ruger Vaquero Bisley, softest shooting .357 in my safe

[Linked Image]

A 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maximum I used to own. A great hunting revolver.

[Linked Image]

A $250 S&W M19-2. Deals are out there.

[Linked Image]

My Silhouette gun: 10.5 Ruger SBH .357 Maximum. 19gr of H4227 with a Hornady 180gr XTP puts the 200 meter rams down smartly if I do my part.

[Linked Image]

A bit of a rarity--a pre-lock, no-MIM, S&W 686+. Not many of these roaming the earth.

[Linked Image]

3.5" S&W M27-2.
Generally speaking, as much as I enjoy .357 Magnum revolvers, I fire far more .38 special rounds than I do magnums. When I do shoot magnum loads, I also very rarely shoot bullets under 180gr. The muzzle blast, recoil and overall unpleasantness of the 110-125gr JHP .357 Magnum loads can be mitigated somewhat by longer barrels, but at that point if I am concerned about power I usually just pick up a 44 or 45 caliber revolver.
The M27 with 3.5" barrel, IMO, has the most business like appearance of any revolver ever made. It is the F4 Phantom of revolvers.

Expat
Those M-27's got to be the nicest looking Smiths ever.
My Dan Wesson's are the best--I've got 2 357 frames with barrels in 2",4",6",8"and 10"
The only 357 revolver I own, Ruger Security Six 6" stainless

[Linked Image]
Pair of favorite .357s for backpacking, fishing and boating...60-10s. Top one is a Lew Horton Mag-Na-Port special...

[Linked Image]

Bottom gun also has a extra cylinder that will run 9mm, .38 Super, 9x21, .356 TSW and probably a few more via moon clips...

With 9mms...

[Linked Image]
Hate to say this as a S&W Lover...but if limited to one .357 this would probably be it...a 4" stainless GP-100....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Although the SA break isn't as good as a S&W I rarely shoot DA handguns SA and the DA on this GP is excellent.... And I love the sights...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Night sights that just pop on are also available...

DeSantis Speed Scabbard and HKS Speed Loaders make a great package...

[Linked Image]
My last two .357s...a 66-2 3" from the first run of Ashland made guns and a 65-3 3"...just great balance....

[Linked Image]

Like the 60-10 above, this 66-2 also has an extra cylinder by TK Custom that runs 9mm, .38 Super and the rest... This is 18 yards DA with 9mm....

[Linked Image]

It would be a hard choice between the 66 and the GP-100....but the GP is a tougher gun...

Bob
A 66 3" is high on my list of revolvers to acquire; I really like my 2 1/2" (not the least because it was carried by Clint Eastwood in the movie "The Gauntlet") but the 3" gun has just enough extra weight out front to have near perfect balance.
Just have the Security Six.

[Linked Image]

Had a couple of the 4" GP100's along the way, and a 2.25" SP101. Great revolvers.

At a point I made a decision to get out of the 357 Mag business, to streamline my reloading logistics. I did miss it. Then this Security Six I had gifted my mother back around 1980 came back to me. So here I am back in it, and I like the Security Six very much.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

[Linked Image]

It's enough.
Originally Posted by Oregon45

[Linked Image]

A bit of a rarity--a pre-lock, no-MIM, S&W 686+. Not many of these roaming the earth.

[Linked Image]

3.5" S&W M27-2.

Those 2 are some fine irons.
Originally Posted by RJM
My last two .357s...a 66-2 3" from the first run of Ashland made guns and a 65-3 3"...just great balance....

[Linked Image]

Like the 60-10 above, this 66-2 also has an extra cylinder by TK Custom that runs 9mm, .38 Super and the rest... This is 18 yards DA with 9mm....

[Linked Image]

It would be a hard choice between the 66 and the GP-100....but the GP is a tougher gun...

Bob

3" 66-2's are like hen's teeth here. If a gun shop that also sells used guns or a pawn shop gets one, it immediately goes to Gunbroker.

Always on the lookout for one. That and a 3" 686+ Talo version. Like those 2 a lot.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Generally speaking, as much as I enjoy .357 Magnum revolvers, I fire far more .38 special rounds than I do magnums. When I do shoot magnum loads, I also very rarely shoot bullets under 180gr. The muzzle blast, recoil and overall unpleasantness of the 110-125gr JHP .357 Magnum loads can be mitigated somewhat by longer barrels, but at that point if I am concerned about power I usually just pick up a 44 or 45 caliber revolver.

Mine only see 38 Special's as well. In fact, short of my Maximum, all of my revolvers see only "Special" loads whether 44, 45, 475 or 500. I will run my recently acquired M610 stout though.

[Linked Image]

Had a couple of the 4" GP100's along the way, and a 2.25" SP101. Great revolvers.

At a point I made a decision to get out of the 357 Mag business, to streamline my reloading logistics. I did miss it. Then this Security Six I had gifted my mother back around 1980 came back to me. So here I am back in it, and I like the Security Six very much.

That's all a guy needs if he knows how to use it. I expect you do. smile At least when you aren't using a 44 mag.
27-2

[Linked Image]

...i had a number of stainless Smith's. great triggers, excellent balance, and graceful lines. rigs of beauty--especially the 4 inch 66, and 629. nevertheless, i gave up on the stainless Smith's, as over time i saw that several of these stainless rigs just couldn't stand the gaff, as the stainless is very soft (no, they were not throttled with hot loads).

the Ruger GP 100 is a great rig, whether in 4 inch or 3 inch. these rigs will "last forever", with essentially zero issues. i really like the 3 inch model, though i did prefer the earlier style grips over the current Hogues.

couple pics with the 3 inch rig; target fired at DA, from 1 to 5 yards while retreating, using Specials. the rigs should be run DA, and i consider this one of the most important skillsets in handgunning. it is unfortunate that today, in this age of Semi Autos, this "ancient skillset" is often either undervalued, or completely ignored.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

while the GP 100 has at least one specific attribute that is a definite plus, in my opinion and experience i still consider the stainless Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six "ne plus ultra" in DA revolvers....

[Linked Image]
This relatively recent (a year and a half or so ago) purchase has become a favorite. I have since swapped out the grips for Hogue's that have made it much easier to shoot. I am thinking to head it to the place north.

[Linked Image]
I've been a S&W fan as well, pre-lock, but owned a GP100 and they are tank tough. The SP101 3" seems like a great little package.

Bob, that 60 w/9 cylinder ought to be a blast smile
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

[Linked Image]

That's all a guy needs if he knows how to use it. I expect you do. smile At least when you aren't using a 44 mag.

I do like the 44, but truth is I carry the Glock 17 more than any other handgun, even in the outdoors.
My Smith & just new to me GP 100!

[Linked Image]
My .357's shoot mostly 38 spls. Seems that most folks do the same. Over the years I have made my best shots with my.357's.. l like my .44's, but the smaller caliber seems more accurate for me.. Most of my shooting can easily be handled with the smaller round.. This is my favorite .357. Have a 4" model also, but not with me a present!

[Linked Image]
My only 357 at the moment, a 640-1 with the addition of a tritium front sight.
[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket
Question, you folks that use the smaller K-frames and SP101 with 3" or so bbl, what loads are you keeping chambered for PD? I am thinking a medium Mag load would be a good balance.

Thoughts? Anyone using 158s? I always felt a 140 would be great but few factory loads with conventional JHP. The 145 ST seems to be a good one. 125s seem to have a sharper blast correct - all things equal?
I have that same holster, and no earthly idea how to wear it! How do you?

Smith model 13 3" barrel
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
.357 Maximum Dan Wesson?
Yep.

I figured there would also be at least ONE Colt in a 357 before now!
Shrapnel made me do it... whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The one on the left is a .357

[Linked Image]
1) 1960's Colt Trooper .357. 4" Ex police gun, but tight, accurate and reliable.
2) 1980's 686 6" with an Andy Cannon action job. Heavy, ugly but shoots like-well an L-frame with an Andy Cannon Action job.
3) Recent 627 Performance center 5" eight shooter. Not old or "classic" but a great shooter and is my favorite of the three.

I didn't have a specific reason to buy any of these. I liked them, had the money and bought them.
Those Marlin's really tame the round, easier blast, much higher mv - 2050 w/158s over Lil Gun....deadly on deer and hell on 2 liter coke bottles at 150 yds with open sights wink
Originally Posted by 65BR
Question, you folks that use the smaller K-frames and SP101 with 3" or so bbl, what loads are you keeping chambered for PD? I am thinking a medium Mag load would be a good balance.

Thoughts? Anyone using 158s? I always felt a 140 would be great but few factory loads with conventional JHP. The 145 ST seems to be a good one. 125s seem to have a sharper blast correct - all things equal?

Would not use the 145 ST due to lack of penetration. In my 2.5 inch Model 19, I use 158gr SWCHP's that I cast myself and load in .38 Special brass at +P velocities so as to duplicate a load known as "The FBI Load".

Don
Hawk, very nice collection!
Yes it is.

They ALL belong to a retired friend. I store em, shoot em and get to show them off!

Pretty good deal.
Originally Posted by JGray

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep. That's the one.

Federal full snot 125 grain JHP in my S&W M60 J frame. Recoil is kind of nasty but it'll hold a 2 inch 50 yard group at the bench. I don't shoot it enough to care about wear and tear on me or the gun, I want something will decidedly wear and tear anything I shoot with it.

Tom

Cliff, i'm sure a lot of the guys here can give you better handloading advice than i can.

but for what it might be worth--as a suggestion only--in short barreled .357 rigs that are used when out and about on the street:

i use a 125 grain Speer Gold Dot, and 10 grains of WSF (there are better powder choices for the .357 case, WSF is better suited for shorter cases--yet i still do use it in longer cases--but this decision was made about 23 years ago in an effort to limit powder inventories).

if the rig is to be employed in the home--as a "nightstand revolver" only--the 90 grain Speer Gold Dot (for the .380 auto), and 11 (or 10), grains of WSF is a suitable choice in those cases where other family members might be snoozing in adjacent rooms.

as always, you should do your own testing, starting with lower charges. think of WSF as "a different version of Unique". low flash, and it meters well too.

35 years ago, i would often load the 140 for a number of applications. i no longer use them, preferring the 125 gr. for urban carry, and the 158 gr. weight for carrying in a woods setting.

i don't know if you remember them, but years ago S&W used to load a 90 gr. soft point claiming 1650 fps from a 4 inch tube. it looked like a blunted round nose, and in some opinions, was "famed for over penetrating". the 90 gr. Gold Dot HP is a similar concept, except that due to the HP, it affords instant expansion--with very little fragmentation...

i still feel that the 125 gr. is one of the best choices for a CCW in .38 Special, or .357 mag.
Originally Posted by EdM
This relatively recent (a year and a half or so ago) purchase has become a favorite. I have since swapped out the grips for Hogue's that have made it much easier to shoot. I am thinking to head it to the place north.

[Linked Image]

I vastly prefer the Hogue grips on the SP101. Some of my SP101's have the Hogue grips and some have the Trausch grips. Both are very nice. Don't get the knuckle whacked as much.
I have a little over two .357s, but not quite three:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JGray

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've been wanting one of those myself. Very nice.
Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic, it's the only one I have of this:

27-2 letters to sometime in the 70's, can't remember exactly what year.

[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Geno

PS, Oh, I forgot the other one, an old Ruger Blackhawk.............. but it's been converted to a .257 grin
Thanks guys
686-4 3"
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Model 19-3

[Linked Image]

I honestly never shoot the thing. I tend to use a 4" Model 15 .38 for small bore/non rimfire stuff. If something is needed in the .357 range, I simply go up to light .44 mag loads that replicate .44 Specials. I find them much more pleasant to shoot.
Originally Posted by WFR
686-4 3"
[Linked Image]

If I got a second one, that would be it!!
I've owned the 6" Vent-Heavy model for a long time, but collected up the rest of the pieces/parts in the last couple years to round out the whole Pistol Pack. These fellas are getting spendy!

Oops, forgot, I still need the belt buckle!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
My Smith & just new to me GP 100!

[Linked Image]

WCH,

with the passage of two year's time, how do you like the "new-to-you" GP 100??

have you brought any of the smaller varmints--or chucks/coyotes to bag with it yet?
4" 66 with a factory Patridge front sight. I shoot it with .38 wadcutters most of the time.
Bob

[Linked Image]

RGK,

a beautiful rig.

i'm always amazed, that even though you use your rigs a lot--they always look very well cared for...
I picked this one up a few months ago on consignment.

[Linked Image]
For some reason 357s seem to find me during moments of weakness. I don't really carry or shoot them that much but have somehow managed to gather a few of them. The Dan Wesson I talked my buddy out of was around for awhile until a gentleman offered me more than I wanted to walk away from for it. The rest still occupy space in the safe. The Redhawk wears a 2x Burris now. The the purple handled 637 belongs to Etta. Not a 357 but same diameter.

Starting at the top; Herters Powermag, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Old Model flattop, Ruger 357 Maximum (with Bisley grip frame), Dan Wesson (4 barrel set), Ruger Bisley, S&W 66 and the 637 38 Special.

[Linked Image]
I've had a few, if I can remember them all.

6" SS Security Six
6" Smith M-28
8 3/8" M-27
6' blued Security Six (shot like it had eyes)
4" Smith 686 CS-1 (Custom Service overrun)
5" Smith 27 (shot like crap)
4" Dan Wesson M-14 (fixed sight)

There may have been more, but I don't recall offhand.
620 4" with Pachy Compacts. When I think I need to carry a real gun, I put it in a Mitch Rosen horsehide IWB holster.

Only paid $350 for it, LN, from Gander Mountain back when my son worked there and I got a family discount. Woulda been a steal even at the tagged price. The single-action pull is very crisp and light, almost like mind-control.

A .357 is about as much fun as I want from a handgun these days.
Through the years,
Colt King Cobra 6"
S&W model 19 6"
Dan Wesson model 15 8"
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8"

Currently,
Taurus model 607 6.5"
Currently

66-1 4"
66-1 2.5"
66-2 2.5"
686+ 4"
27-2 5"
19-3 4"

No ponies or Rugers.
Favorite is probably a 5” model 60 with Speer 135 GD’s. A 3” full lug model 60 and a 4” model 19 I bought in ‘77 or ‘78 are pretty close behind.
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

RGK,

a beautiful rig.

i'm always amazed, that even though you use your rigs a lot--they always look very well cared for...

Thanks! Here's a "before" (before cleaning) pic of another favorite...an M68 in .38
Bob

[Linked Image]
Some shorty 66s and a 65-5 Lady Smith...
[Linked Image]
Ruger New Model Blackhawk convertible 357/9mm. 6 1/2” barrel. I fitted a stainless Bisley grip frame to it, chalked full of woods and range goodness.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RGK
4" 66 with a factory Patridge front sight. I shoot it with .38 wadcutters most of the time.
Bob

[Linked Image]

This is the classic handgun for Law Enforcement and Security until Glock came along.
One for beauty
[Linked Image]

One for duty
[Linked Image]

5 rounds at 100 yards
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
One for beauty
[Linked Image]

One for duty
[Linked Image]

5 rounds at 100 yards
[Linked Image]

19's ?
Freedom Arms Model 97

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by local_dirt
One for beauty
[Linked Image]

One for duty
[Linked Image]

5 rounds at 100 yards
[Linked Image]

19's ?

5" model 27s/pre-27s. VERY nice!
Bob
Hi Vel, Just looked over this again and saw your question.. Sorry I am so slow.. I really like the GP.. I have it with me most of the time.. Because it is stainless, I don;t have to worry about rust, especially when I have two goldens that love water.. I have not shot any coyotes with it... Mostly jacks, gophers, and p. dogs.. Does a great job.. Very tough weapon..
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RGK
One for beauty
[Linked Image]

One for duty
[Linked Image]

5 rounds at 100 yards
[Linked Image]

19's ?

5" model 27s/pre-27s. VERY nice!
Bob

Excellent!
All I got is a lowly Colt King Cobra 6 in NRA Edition. Sluming.
My one and only 357.... just can't seem to like the round... the earsplitting muzzle blast seem's all out of proportion to the performance you get... mine lives on 38spcl loads

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The center revolver is a 686 6" with the 4 position front sight. The bottom is a 65 4" former police issue. I have two former police issue M65s.
Originally Posted by irfubar
My one and only 357.... just can't seem to like the round... the earsplitting muzzle blast seem's all out of proportion to the performance you get... mine lives on 38spcl loads

[Linked Image]

I could be happy with that...
Bob
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Hi Vel, Just looked over this again and saw your question.. Sorry I am so slow.. I really like the GP.. I have it with me most of the time.. Because it is stainless, I don;t have to worry about rust, especially when I have two goldens that love water.. I have not shot any coyotes with it... Mostly jacks, gophers, and p. dogs.. Does a great job.. Very tough weapon..

WCH,

good to know it's working out for you.

when i first saw one in 1986 or '87, i wasn't sure about it, as i was comparing it to the trimmer lines of the venerable security six. it only took about 6 more years for me to "see the light" and come to the conclusion that the crane lock alone put it in a "better category" than the old ejector rod lock-up system of the security six. i do like them a lot.

in these days of nearly everything "semi auto", the revolver has largely taken a back seat, so to speak, and DA revolver skills seem somewhat lost to many of the younger folk--which is a valuable skill set to have.

nevertheless, stainless revolvers always hold a sense of magic for me--and they're good companions in the wilderness settings...
Hi Vel, yes they are good companions... I bought several Glocks for times we travel.. I have never carried them much .. Except in the vehicle when we go though large cities.. Now that kind of travel is largely behind us.. I have thought of selling them and picking up a couple more pocket revolvers.. I surely enjoy all revolvers.. My .357s mostly see .38 spl.. But the larger case is always there if needed.. Enjoy your stuff.. Nice to know there are some revolver lovers left..

WCH,

yes, the revolvers are really fun--while i cannot shoot them quite as fast as some semi's, i do find better accuracy with them at longer distances. plus, i began on them back in the late '60's and early 70's. nostalgic...

what was that old line by Seyfried? something like, "my maturity has led me backwards." i like revolvers a great deal, but i cannot apply that to myself, as i use both semi's and revolvers, and am happy with either, for differing reasons.

however, my wife fell on a slick travertine floor while wearing low heel dress shoes, going over backwards, and catching herself with her left hand. unfortunately, she twisted her hand/thumb backwards, and even after some assistance from an orthopedic doctor, it still troubles her. she has some difficulty racking a slide now--so after 12 years with a semi auto, she went back to the revolver. so Ross's line might apply to her, in a sense.

we took a "small risk" and went with the Ruger LCR in 9mm. ammo cost was a factor. if you think about it, with the length of the short round, i believe even if crimp jump/bullet pull happens with a 147 gr pill, it is still too short to impinge against the forcing cone--another perk over the .357 in LCR. it has been working out well for her. i don't know about the longevity of the rig, but other than occasional practice, it will mostly be "carried".

we chronographed a few loads a few weeks ago--averages for 3 shots--amazing for that short barrel;

Federal 124 gr HST = 1081 FPS.

Sig Sauer 124 gr V Crown = 1075 FPS.

Speer 124 gr Gold Dot +P = 1078 FPS.

Remington 115 gr HP (bulk 100 green/white box) = 1071 FPS.

Atomic 124 gr Bonded +P = 1166 FPS.

all extracted easily except the Atomic--took a little more push, so i steer clear of a round in a specific rig that causes an issue like that.
Revolvers and semi-autos each have advantages. For some situations, the revolver is the best choice for me. As for DA skills, although I am long past being a "younger folk", I carry a DA only semi-auto. Like a revolver, for some situations, it is the best choice for me.
How about a "Pre-.357 Magnum"....

Found this 1952 Heavy Duty for a reasonable price on GunBroker two weeks ago... While there is a little holster wear there is almost no turn line or turn marks on the breechface...there is also no residue above the flashgap either... Took it apart and cleaned out all the old oil and put in a 14# trigger return spring...is one of those actions that is slick and smooth...the trigger and hammer looked like new.

The original HD .38-44 ammo was running a 158 grain bullet at something like 1100 fps... Was shooting some 125s two days ago that clock 1200 fps and and the empties just fall out...

Just added a Tyler T-Grip today and will take it out again this week...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
RJM awesome gun there...
Bob, did you just have the Tyler T hanging around?
This one is a lot of fun to shoot. Colt 2nd gen .357 that groups quite well with 158 grain HPs. It mostly gets fed 148 grain .38 wadcutters, though.
Bob

[Linked Image]

I used to be a distributor for them back about 10 years ago...had one polished and one matte black for N frames left....
Originally Posted by RJM

I used to be a distributor for them back about 10 years ago...had one polished and one matte black for N frames left....

Nice. Would like to see what it looks like with the T on it.
Originally Posted by RGK
This one is a lot of fun to shoot. Colt 2nd gen .357 that groups quite well with 158 grain HPs. It mostly gets fed 148 grain .38 wadcutters, though.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Every time I see that gun, it invokes drool.

Had a shot at one in .45 Colt at a gun show a couple years ago at a fair price in that exact condition at about 4:45 p.m. on a Sunday.

Passed because he didn't have the original box and I only had $1k on me.

What was I thinking?
Originally Posted by RJM

Nice. Would like to see what it looks like with the T on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the Pre-27...

[Linked Image]

The insides of the gun look like new...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice!
© 24hourcampfire