Home
Posted By: mjbgalt Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/10/17
Bought one from Whittaker after doing some research online and deciding 200 bucks was worth testing one in the hopes it was really as good as others say.

No matter what it says on the side, every firearm is a sample of one. I have had ones that had problems with some famous names on them, and we all know about guns like Stevens 200, bersa 380, and others that perform way above their msrp.

At first glance this thing is well done. Stippling and grip shape and size are very comfortable and looking at it you'd not know if it was 199 or 499. First test passed. Next is taking it apart and checking out the tooling and finish inside. Then a test fire. Then a 200 round marathon to make damn sure it won't puke out on me if I need it in an emergency
Posted By: Owl Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/10/17
I have 3 of them... Happy so far. Have not had any issues with them.
Posted By: kellory Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/10/17
I'm looking for one in stainless, myself. It is to be my EDC. All the ones I can find locally, are blued. (Several clerks didn't even know it came in stainless.)
Posted By: Owl Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/10/17
I have one stainless and two blued. When I bought them, Taurus had a $50 rebate on them
Posted By: redleg733 Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/10/17
I bought one a few months ago. It was oiled VERY heavy when I pulled it out of the box. I took it apart and wiped everything down. Have put 340 rounds through it, various ammos, and it has worked perfectly so far. I have not shot any hollow point or self defense type rounds yet. Just ball and/or FMJ target type ammo.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/10/17
I had one at my FFL that I ordered and my FFL was taking an enhanced class that weekend. He was using an S&W Shield and the guy next to him had the PT111 g2. They got to talking and the guy loved the Taurus. Lighter, carried more ammo, and shot better than the Shield. Monday if asked me if he could keep the Taurus and pay me what I paid for it. He's done me favors, I said sure. He doesn't charge me for paperwork for sending out handguns. That's pretty nice. Surprised me for sure.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/15/17
Took it to the range today and wife and I put two boxes of Remington cheapo ammo thru it. No issues. Not the most accurate but at 15 feet we could put a mag into a tennis ball size area. Which is fine for what the gun is meant to do.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/15/17
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I had one at my FFL that I ordered and my FFL was taking an enhanced class that weekend. He was using an S&W Shield and the guy next to him had the PT111 g2. They got to talking and the guy loved the Taurus. Lighter, carried more ammo, and shot better than the Shield. Monday if asked me if he could keep the Taurus and pay me what I paid for it. He's done me favors, I said sure. He doesn't charge me for paperwork for sending out handguns. That's pretty nice. Surprised me for sure.

Good report, jack. They are stupid popular down here.

I was in one of my favorite pawn shop haunts a few months back and a young vet back from the sandbox was dying to get his hands on one. Owner cut him a sweet deal.
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/16/17
my daughter maybe wants a handgun for her place in the city.......how do ya all think the pt111 would work out for someone with small hands and short fingers...?
Posted By: rondrews Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/16/17
I would have your daughter look at A PT-738 or a S& W Bodyguard. They are .380's and not 9MM. If she's stuck on 9MM's look at the SCCY CPX-1 or 2. All reasonably priced.
Posted By: Waders Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/16/17
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Not the most accurate but at 15 feet we could put a mag into a tennis ball size area. Which is fine for what the gun is meant to do.

A tennis ball is what, 2 1/2 inches across?

So you have a 2.5" gun at 15 feet. A 5" gun at 30 feet. Were you shooting from a rest to determine what the gun is capable of, or were you shooting off-hand?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/16/17
Off hand. But I can usually put 38s from our revolver into an inch or so at the same distance single action.

To answer the question about small hands, my wife has small hands with a short reach to the trigger and it fits her well
We also were not trying to shoot the bull out, mostly just testing the thing and having fun
Waders I don't think it's really that inaccurate, but first time I have shot it and it does have a trigger that takes getting used to...it breaks almost as it stops rearward movement in the guard.

All in all a heck of a nice gun for the price and I would not be unhappy at twice the price.
Posted By: kellory Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/16/17
I finally found a brick and mortar that can order one in for me (on sale, even smile )in stainless. (Sweat proof) Gander Mountain of all places. No one else could, or even knew it was available in stainless. Should have it some time next week.

Edit: that long travel before breaking, is to recock the striker, if you need the double strike due to a hard primer.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/16/17
Thumb safety??
Posted By: kellory Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/16/17
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Thumb safety??

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=890&category=Pistol
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/17/17
I have a Taurus PT111 that I've had for probably 10 years or so. I know it's not the gen 2 that's being talked about here, and I know that the reputation on mine is "iffy", but when I was carrying it and shooting it, I never had a problem. I put it in the safe after reading some bad reviews and bought a Glock.
Posted By: rondrews Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/17/17
Taurus has a recall on the G1 Models. Just call them, and they will ask for your serial number and let you know if you are affected. The issue was with the gun firing sometimes when dropped.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/18/17
Mine shoots 8-10" low with everything. Hittin' the road, soon.
Does yours have other problems Ricky?
The sights aren't adjustable? They show adjustable sights on Taurus' spec sheet is why I asked. Did you contemplate having the front sight filed down?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/18/17
Mine shoots a little low and to the left. Simple adjustment on the rear and shave down the front.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Does yours have other problems Ricky?
The sights aren't adjustable? They show adjustable sights on Taurus' spec sheet is why I asked. Did you contemplate having the front sight filed down?
I don't believe they are adjustable. Maybe for windage, but not for elevation. If so, not nearly enough. I did try to adjust for elevation and all I did was unscrew it.

Not other problems really, apart from the trigger. It's a little funky but usable.

There's not a lot of front site to work with in the first place. I may file it down and see what happens. I might have to file a groove into the slide. wink
Posted By: kellory Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/18/17
Ordered mine today. Stainless slide.
Posted By: colodog Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/18/17
The rear sight adjustment is very simple but it's different than a S&W or Ruger, uuummm, read the instructions?!
Mine shot low the first time out but it was fixed in seconds.

Mine doesn't like the factory ball ammo I bought for it but it's just fine with my reloads, I'm happy!
Posted By: kellory Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 04/22/17
Originally Posted by kellory
Ordered mine today. Stainless slide.

Order arrived today. Arrived very well oiled. Everything looks good, and it feels good in the hand, good grips. Can't wait to try it out on the range, but that will have to wait a bit. Other chores and lack of ammo will prevent that for now.
I will give a review after the range.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Taurus pt111 g2 - 05/02/17
Update is I adjusted sights and it's right on. Much more accurate with 124s. About half the group size. Could be me getting better I guess smile
© 24hourcampfire