Home
Posted By: colvin anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/19/17
I love my 9.5 super red hawk in 44. my hunting loads are 21 grains of 2400 under a 240 grain xtp. I routinely shoot it out to 100 yards..
Many years ago, I was known to take a cottontail with a Model 17 S&W revolver from time to time.
I've killed 3 deer with a handgun. Two were with a .357 Magnum, which I found to be less than ideal on deer, and one was with a .45 Colt which puts them down with authority.

Don
Posted By: memtb Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/19/17
When I first moved to Wyo., I killed an antelope and a bear. Quit over 20 years ago,but, am trying to get back into it! memtb
Posted By: byron Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/19/17
I do. I,ve taken a fair amount of small game, but also several head of big game. Pronghorn, deer, elk, and moose.
I like the 41 magnum with 250grn wfngc's on the lite end or the 475L on the top end with either 375grn lfngc's or the 410wfngc.
Going to give the 454 cassull and 480 ruger a go this year.
Elk with a 454 casull and deer with a 45lc.
Love to hog hunt with my Dan Wesson 357max.I put the 6 inch barrel on for this---I'll also be carring my Savage 24V in 357 max over 20 ga.
With the DW I feel I can get down off the buggy in heavy cover and be sure I'm going to knock that hog down with one shot
Posted By: dsink Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/20/17
I have killed a couple deer with my Ruger GP-100 357 with a Burris pistol scope and shooting some hot 158gr XTPs.
I pretty much hunt with revolvers exclusively unless forced to do otherwise.

I've killed everything from chipmunks up to water buffalo with revolvers.
I have killed some deer with my .41 and .44 mag Smiths.

I run revolvers right through the "which gun today " rotation with my rifles, depending on where and how I'm hunting that day as well as the weather.
6" S&W 657 .41 Mag with Hornady 210g XTP's over a max charge of AA#9. Very accurate and very lethal.
Posted By: dale06 Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/20/17
One mule deer with a Smith 629 .44 mag. It was scoped with a 2-6X scope. The 240 Hornacy XTP went completely through the chest and the deer was down in 20 yards.
In rifle zone I rotate through several different rifles. When not in a rifle zone this past fall I was alternating between my 870 slug gun and a 44 Mag. 7.5" stainless Redhawk with a 2x Leupold. Had a pop-up blind in a wooded area of a friends property. The Redhawk was set to go with a hard cast 260 gr. WFNGC fueled by 21 gr. of H-110 for an average 1210 fps with great accuracy. Had some nice bucks in those woods according to 2 trail cams. Only problem was they only come out at night. Oh well; maybe next year.....
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
I pretty much hunt with revolvers exclusively unless forced to do otherwise.

I've killed everything from chipmunks up to water buffalo with revolvers.
Still trying to get my first deer with this.. Just haven't gotten the chance yet; every deer ended up beyond the range.. frown

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvnv Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/20/17
Revolver only hunter here. I'd say you are good to go for deer or less, but would pick another bullet if going for anything larger.

It is a good challenge, and lots more fun walking about without a rifle.
Posted By: jds44 Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/20/17
I'm a big fan of a 255 grain LSWC @ 1000fps out of a 5 1/2'' Ruger single action in .45 Colt for whitetails and smaller.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of these days, I'd love to take an elk and a moose with a .45 Colt. I've got a batch of LBT 300 grain WFN hard cast slugs loaded to 1200fps sitting on a shelf just waiting for the opportunity.
Killed a doe with a scoped early model 629. Also a couple squirrels with a Ruger Bearcat. I carried a 12" Encore .44 a bit, but found it awkward and kinda annoying. I missed the biggest buck I ever killed with a Super Blackhawk, then carefully followed the little herd down a hogback ridge and killed him with the iron-sighted rifle my son (who couldn't make him out) was carrying.

If I ever hunt deer with a handgun again, it'll be with a revolver or one of the new optics-ready autos with a reflex sight, like the Glock 10mm.
i use a revolver for most of my hunting as well
Thought about it, then I realized that God made rifles for a reason.
Posted By: viking Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/20/17
When I go back to ND, I use a Ruger MKII on gophers. I have used revolvers on deer and hogs. That was with 44 mags.
Posted By: LJBass Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/20/17
I've been using a GP-100 with small red-dot since Missouri changed muzzleloader season to "alternative methods". I plan to use a S&W model 69 this year. Someday I'll get to heave some lead in anger.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Thought about it, then I realized that God made rifles for a reason.

Perhaps because not everyone can shoot handguns well? Maybe that was God's reasoning.... grin
Posted By: colvin Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/21/17
^^ this^^
I am not going to say I am the end all be all shooter, but I do love it when I bring the the revolver to the rifle range and I am shooting just as good of groups as the rifle guys are.they really take notice when my wife breaks out the gp-100 and she's shooting her hot hunting loads at 75 yards and laying them right there.
Shot about 15 head of big game w/ my 44's and .45..
Used to, unfortunately most of my stuff now days is used to! But back then, I tricked out a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag. with a 9 1/2" barrel. Action job, Magna-Ported barrel, Hogue Mono Grip and an Ultra-Dot red dot sight. A steady diet of hogs and deer using 320 gr. hard cast gas checked bullets. Could pretty much hit an 8" paper plate at 100 yards every time off hand. Not anymore, my guns shake a lot more than they used to! Also carried a 454 and a 41 mag for a while, but never got the chance on game with either one. Would like to get back into it, we'll see, and am thinking about another 41 mag or a 10mm. I used bowhunting tactics back then with the revolvers.
Not specifically, if a critter wanders in close while I'm packing an old lever gun, I'll shoot em with a Colt SAA, F/A 454 or Ruger Bisley 44 mag.
In my previous post I neglected to mention my own personal revolver hunting challenge: Rimfire Revolver Squirrel Hunting...... Take one Ruger Single Six Convertible; choose 22LR or 22 Mag, and head for the squirrel woods. It's fun and challenging and good target practice at random distances. Plus; I'm all alone so when I miss one there's nobody there to ridicule me (grin). But I've also scored a few lucky shots that could make me look like Elmer Keith; that's when I wish I had witnesses.
I hunted with an S&W or a Redhawk exclusively for about 15 years until they changed to that damned fuzzy front sight, and killed several whitetails while doing so. Still like revolvers though, but my hunting is now done with rifles.
Freedom Arms .454 Casull has been getting the job done for me for the past 30 or so years. Scope is a Burris 2X, load is the Hornady XTP Mag. 240 gr. JHP. Works great on deer and hogs.

[Linked Image]
The javelina did NOT just decide to take a nap with my revolver. wink

Converted Ruger BH to .256 Win Mag. Can't recall for sure but think it was a 75 gr Speer FP, 14 gr 4227, about 1600fps from that 7.5" barrel. (Might have been a 60 gr Hornady, but I think I like the Speers best)

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Geno
Several years back I killed a few small Virginia bucks with a 6.5" barrel Smith 629 and some 240 grain Winchester Partition Gold loads ( I dont think they make that load anymore) I now have a new Smith 629 5" barrel and have plans on killing a few more over the next few Hunting seasons........Good luck .....Hb
Posted By: T_O_M Re: anyone hunt with a revolver - 04/26/17
Yeah, off and on. If I'm counting right, I've killed 4 with various .44 magnums and 4 with the same Single Six .32 H&R magnum.

Back in the 80s maybe into the early 90s, if we were going to hunt with a handgun in Oregon we had to have our tag "handgun validated". At that point, though we hunted in rifle season, we could not use rifles, only handguns, so there was a pretty serious commitment required. Today we can switch back and forth as the mood strikes us. I still use both rifle and handgun, I just pick whatever seems appropriate for the location considering shot distance, cover, etc.

Tom
I've shot a few deer with a S&W 57 in .41 Mag with 250 cast bullets and H110. Have also shot some with my old govt model years ago.
Colvin: I frequently Hunt Varmints, small game and some upland game with my various revolvers (both rimfire and centerfire).
I enjoy many aspects of this sport.
But as of to date I have NOT Hunted any species of big game with any handgun (unless you consider humans to be "big game").
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I hunted many years with a scoped Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum. My tastes have turned to the T/C Contender as of late, but I also hunt with a non-scoped Super Blackhawk when I'm hunting thick stuff. In fact, I took a small black bear here in PA last year. My first bear and first bear with a handgun.
Started hunting with revolvers back in the 60's, mostly with 41's & 44's but have used about everything out there depending on the game at hand. Always tried to match the caliber to the game at hand & never felt you could use too much gun. Cast bullets have always been my preference but I have used some jacketed bullets over the years & they've made some dandies in the last couple decades.
Not trying to preach but a little bit of advice, don't over gun to start with, heavy loads are a slippery slope & hard to recover from.

Dick
© 24hourcampfire